As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

That's fucking interesting man, that's fucking interesting! (nsf56k)

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Dude you're being willfully ignorant of the levels of scale involved here.

I'm being woefully aware of humanity's capacity to fuck shit up.

It's the fucking sun

every planet could fall into it at once and it would barely matter

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

It's the fucking sun

Humanity can find a way!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    Earth, Wind, and Fire was an attempt to simplify the elements even further but it got kinda funky

posts like this make me wish I had a button where I could give people a trophy

Infractions are kind of like trophies...

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    duble pst

Fyndir on
  • Options

It's the fucking sun

Humanity can find a way!

Nah they really can't

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    In a few thousand years when we're taking apart things the size of Jupiter on a regular basis for fuel, then worry about whether the stuff we're dumping into the sun will damage it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular

It's the fucking sun

Humanity can find a way!

Dude. If you want to say we've "ruined the planet," fine, whatever. Biomes are pretty fragile things! Pretty easy to ruin.

The sun is not fragile

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Not only is the sun really big, it is also really really hot. The entire earth would just melt into plasma. It weighs about 333000x as much as the earth. It is also a continual explosion anyway, really hard to damage an explosion bound by its own weight.
    The earth just doesn't really have the energy potential to do anything to it.

The only two things I can imagine is somehow send a black to the sun (concievably made from earth matter, though our current understanding of Hawking Radiation makes small black holes extremely shortlived so this won't be easy)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    The only way humanity could "fuck up" the sun would be to outlive it and then take the credit.

Even in binary systems where one star has already died, the other star is still there chugging along.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

It's the fucking sun

Humanity can find a way!

Nah they really can't

He's not totally wrong. Dyson's spheres and what not.

He's just being a goose about it. Also, the time scale involved is going to be pretty long. There isn't enough of.... well, anything on this planet to build something like a Dyson's sphere, we'll have to be an interstellar civilization way, way before we can harness the power of an entire star.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

It's the fucking sun

Humanity can find a way!

Nah they really can't

He's just being a goose about it. Also, the time scale involved is going to be pretty long. There isn't enough of.... well, anything on this planet to build something like a Dyson's sphere, we'll have to be an interstellar civilization way, way before we can harness the power of an entire star.

And then it wouldn't even matter if we could fuck up a sun because we'd have so many more

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    In other, less stupid and mildly interesting news

When you weld two pieces of steel together, unless the steel is Super Fancy the weld itself is actually stronger (though more brittle) than the steel it's holding together

So the weld can crack in certain circumstances, but often your ultimate failure is next to the weld, which is a gigantic pain in the ass

And if you're welding temporary fixtures to hold something up you have to be careful and actually cut them off, because if you try and be Smartass McCoolguy and just bang the weld free with a sledge you tear the shit out of the steel

• Options
    Bé ChuilleBé Chuille Registered User regular
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    We just explode stars for recreational and aesthetic purposes.

Scientist said that purple stars weren't a possibility, but we figured that we might as well just crash a red star and a blue star together to be sure.

Y'know.

Just something to do on a Sunday.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »

When you weld two pieces of steel together, unless the steel is Super Fancy the weld itself is actually stronger (though more brittle) than the steel it's holding together

So the weld can crack in certain circumstances, but often your ultimate failure is next to the weld, which is a gigantic pain in the ass

And if you're welding temporary fixtures to hold something up you have to be careful and actually cut them off, because if you try and be Smartass McCoolguy and just bang the weld free with a sledge you tear the shit out of the steel

do a lot of steel work?

my mom's BF owns his own steel shop in NY .... they make some great stuff up there

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

do a lot of steel work?

my mom's BF owns his own steel shop in NY .... they make some great stuff up there

Yep. I'm the person Smartass McCoolguy comes to when "I dunno what happened but it broke"

• Options

Yo

Vikings

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

So you can better understand Hullis when he talks football

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Speaking of horrific torture who wants to hear about the brazen bull

• Options
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    man, who here ain't heard of the blood eagle

ya'll fuckers act like you know vikings and then this?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Well to be fair the article does say that may not have actually happened. Doesn't make it any less gross of course.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options

do a lot of steel work?

Yep. I'm the person Smartass McCoolguy comes to when "I dunno what happened but it broke"

but I thought you were an engineer?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014

Depends. Galvanic corrosion is a big problem with welds. If you don't do it right, it's almost guaranteed. Passivate the weld line, weld, cover with chromates, and inspect once a year.

<--- Smartass McCoolguy

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

It's the fucking sun

Humanity can find a way!

Nah they really can't

Dyson Spheres wouldn't really destroy or harm the star, though.

It would harness the star's energy, possibly up to an efficiency of making the star go dark to outside observers (although such a system would require a solid shell design and be infinitely more difficult and dangerous compared to a swarm of satellites orbiting the star), but it wouldn't "suck the life" out of the star as it were, it would just absorb the entirety of its energy output.

A Dyson Sphere is just an unbelievably efficient and comprehensive solar energy collector, and the solar panels on your roof don't somehow shorten the life of the sun.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

It's the fucking sun

Humanity can find a way!

Nah they really can't

Dyson Spheres wouldn't really destroy or harm the star, though.

It would harness the star's energy, possibly up to an efficiency of making the star go dark to outside observers (although such a system would require a solid shell design and be infinitely more difficult and dangerous compared to a swarm of satellites orbiting the star), but it wouldn't "suck the life" out of the star as it were, it would just absorb the entirety of its energy output.

A Dyson Sphere is just an unbelievably efficient and comprehensive solar energy collector, and the solar panels on your roof don't somehow shorten the life of the sun.

Net effect is basically the same, you're cutting off whatever solar bodies orbiting it from the energy the sun gives off.

And there's other things that could be done, like colliding two stars or something similar.

The understanding of physics are there, it's mostly a matter of the impracticality of it and why would you bother. Once you're harvesting suns, resources aren't really an issue any more.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    "Blues versus Greens: how circus factions nearly brought down the Byzantine Empire"

The tag on that one is almost as good as the title.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

do a lot of steel work?

That's the theory at least

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Seriously though, completely enshrouding the whole sun to harvest every watt isn't really anything anyone would think about doing.

Intensely diminishing returns.

Dyson Swarms are the future.

Still though that's a Type II Civillization and we're currently still a Type zero so it'll be a while yet.

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    If we ever invent a Dyson Vacuum that eats Suns though, we can worry then.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I thought in welding, any proper weld was always stronger than the material around it, no matter if it was steel, aluminum, plastic, etc.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    "stronger" is sort of misleading. Welds tend to have a higher yield strain, but (as Usagi mentioned) they're also less ductile, and in many applications (particularly, in earthquake-prone structures) ductility is the critical factor.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »
    "stronger" is sort of misleading. Welds tend to have a higher yield strain, but (as Usagi mentioned) they're also less ductile, and in many applications (particularly, in earthquake-prone structures) ductility is the critical factor.

Yes! There are in fact several types of strength, and which one(s) is/are most important depends on what your materials are, why you're smooshing them together, and how you're going to load it (axial, transverse, torsional, all) once the joint is complete.

• Options

do a lot of steel work?

so you're the one that breaks things then?

• Options

do a lot of steel work?

so you're the one that breaks things then?

Nah, I just sometimes design things that are actually impossible to build

Woops

• Options
    engineers.....

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I thought in welding, any proper weld was always stronger than the material around it, no matter if it was steel, aluminum, plastic, etc.

Corrosion is always a factor when dealing with metal. The heat from a metal weld along with creating a metal-on-metal contact makes the weld the perfect place for some nasty corrosion. Doing it proper means you mitigate the risks of creating a corrosion cell, but if it does corrode you better cut it off and do it again.

This still happens with fasteners (rivets, screws, camlocs), but those often give out due to other stresses (vibrations or shear stress commonly) first.

Alternatively, if you don't want to mess with chromates, slather RTV rubber compound on it to seal it.

With metal, strong usually means brittle as well. You can drill all day with a titanium drill bit, but you could also snap it with a pair of pliers. Annealed steel won't hold weight, but you could bend it in half without creating a crack.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I really, really wish I knew how to weld

and also I really really wish I had a fucking garage that I could use as a workshop

I lust after space soooo bad

8406wWN.png
This discussion has been closed.