As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Preparing for Prime

2»

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Headhunter wrote: »
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    jthom252 wrote: »
    Would it be a bad idea to consider getting the yearly flu shot prior to Prime? I know it's kind of outside of the typical season for that stuff but PAX does have a tendency to bring that stuff out.
    According to the CDC, the vaccine isn't likely available before October. However, flu season typically doesn't start till October either, so you are more likely to get something more mild. Just wash your hands before you eat and avoid touching mucous membranes.

Wash your hands more frequently than you normally do and you will be fine. Remember that when you demo stuff you are touching something that many people before you have so keep your hands away from your food and your face until you have washed them again.
    Also, don't do the oculus rift demo unless you want pinkeye.

I don't feel great about the headphones either, usually I'll just go without audio for a demo unless I think it'll be an important part of the experience (and then try to wash my ears ASAP afterwards).

Yeah, I think presenters feel they are doing you a favor with their big ear-covering cups because you can hear the audio better. But they get sweaty gross instantly. I'm not aware of many ear-transmitted diseases though. But I bet a pediatrician could horrify us.

Aww, bummer.
    PAX would be just about the only opportunity to try something like the Oculus, but I probably will not risk it if that's the case.[/quote]
    If it helps, at Prime 13 the Oculus line was nearly impossible to get into. Insta-capping the moment they opened it.

adias.angel
  • pogoplaypogoplay Writer/Blogger/Gamer Calgary, AlbertaRegistered User regular
    I found a small backpack is very useful, in PAX 2012, I put a pair of extra socks, a USB charger, 3DS and a couple water bottles and some granola bars for walking around, never had to leave the expo hall and had a great time because I wasn't thirsty/hungry.

Attended: PAX Prime 2010, PAX Prime 2011, PAX Prime 2012, PAX Prime 2014.
    Attending: PAX Prime 2016
    Twitter @Pogoplay
    adias.angel
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Think I'm going to chance pink eye, if only because I've been curious to see if I could handle the rift before buying one. lol.

BouwsT
  • rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular

Aww, bummer.
    PAX would be just about the only opportunity to try something like the Oculus, but I probably will not risk it if that's the case.

Mehhh. I did the Oculus demo twice last year and two different days and never had a problem. Not to say it can't happen, but none of my friends had a problem with it either.

• CennediCennedi A strange man A strange landRegistered User regular
    rahnawyn wrote: »

Aww, bummer.
    PAX would be just about the only opportunity to try something like the Oculus, but I probably will not risk it if that's the case.

Mehhh. I did the Oculus demo twice last year and two different days and never had a problem. Not to say it can't happen, but none of my friends had a problem with it either.

That is something I'm deffinitely looking forward to

Hopeful First Time Attendee of PAX Prime 2014.
    [ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • rahnawynrahnawyn Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Cennedi wrote: »
    That is something I'm deffinitely looking forward to

They cap the line very quickly, so if you want to do it just start looking around at the other booths nearby (honestly, you might find something you really like, I know there were some pretty fun games in that area I wouldn't have looked at otherwise) and then when they open the line you gotta rush into it. But once you get in line, it only takes like 20 minutes to get through and in the demo, so it's really not that bad. It was also really amazing to see - last year they had two demos, one where you actually got to control it and one that was just a racing game that you rode in, and they were both mindblowing to see (for me, at least).

rahnawyn on
  • jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    Would it be a bad idea to consider getting the yearly flu shot prior to Prime? I know it's kind of outside of the typical season for that stuff but PAX does have a tendency to bring that stuff out.
    According to the CDC, the vaccine isn't likely available before October. However, flu season typically doesn't start till October either, so you are more likely to get something more mild. Just wash your hands before you eat and avoid touching mucous membranes.

Wash your hands more frequently than you normally do and you will be fine. Remember that when you demo stuff you are touching something that many people before you have so keep your hands away from your food and your face until you have washed them again.

I don't feel great about the headphones either, usually I'll just go without audio for a demo unless I think it'll be an important part of the experience (and then try to wash my ears ASAP afterwards).

Yeah, I think presenters feel they are doing you a favor with their big ear-covering cups because you can hear the audio better. But they get sweaty gross instantly. I'm not aware of many ear-transmitted diseases though. But I bet a pediatrician could horrify us.

My coworker's husband recently got a inner ear virus and caused a bad case of nausea and vertigo. The condition was called Labyrinthitis. I kid you not.

As far as Oculus goes, whenever I went by, the line was capped and they told you they were going to open it at <whatever time later>. When you came back at said time, people were already camping out to rush it when it was open (even though you're not supposed to line up for the line). I was about to give up on trying it until our hotel roomie saw a demo on the 6th floor. The wait was much shorter and it was an interactive platforming demo (walking around, spray painting the wall, climbing a ladder). Nothing fancy, but it still blew my mind. So check upstairs on the 6th floor, or maybe one of the indies in the Indie Megabooth if you're not too picky about what demo you see.

PimDtoK.png
  • DemonsMasterDemonsMaster Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    jukkakhan wrote: »

As far as Oculus goes, whenever I went by, the line was capped and they told you they were going to open it at <whatever time later>. When you came back at said time, people were already camping out to rush it when it was open (even though you're not supposed to line up for the line). I was about to give up on trying it until our hotel roomie saw a demo on the 6th floor. The wait was much shorter and it was an interactive platforming demo (walking around, spray painting the wall, climbing a ladder). Nothing fancy, but it still blew my mind. So check upstairs on the 6th floor, or maybe one of the indies in the Indie Megabooth if you're not too picky about what demo you see.

This exact thing kept happening to me when I was trying to line up for the Naughty Dog signing last year. They told people not to line-up for the line but that's exactly what people were doing. It felt like a battle just to get in line.

DemonsMaster on
    Pax Prime (West) '13, '14, '15, '16.
    Pax South '16
    Pax Prime 2015 Omeganaut
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    jukkakhan wrote: »

My coworker's husband recently got a inner ear virus and caused a bad case of nausea and vertigo. The condition was called Labyrinthitis. I kid you not.

It's almost as if they have never been to a deli counter. How hard is it to hand out numbered tickets and have a counter over the booth saying "Now demoing to number..." Really, you could hit the popular booth, grab your number and see roughly how long it would be before your turn (If a demo takes an average of 15 minutes and you have 3 stations, you can put "One served every 5 minutes" on a sign without much effort) and then go about the rest of PAX. Really, the cost of doing this would be a ticket dispenser, a roll of tickets, some signage and a counter. The benefit would be no more queue wrangling or line-for-the-line shenanigans.

Your suggestion is great. However, since it's up to each individual presenter on how they do the lines, there's no way to enforce uniformity. And while slight, they'd need, what, 20k of those tickets, at least, right? That's assuming that not every attendee goes through it.

And since demand outstrips supply, they don't really have to cater to anyone. They'll see the same amount of people no matter what they do and what they do now is the easiest.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Your suggestion is great. However, since it's up to each individual presenter on how they do the lines, there's no way to enforce uniformity. And while slight, they'd need, what, 20k of those tickets, at least, right? That's assuming that not every attendee goes through it.

And since demand outstrips supply, they don't really have to cater to anyone. They'll see the same amount of people no matter what they do and what they do now is the easiest.

Suppose the oculus demo takes 10 minutes and they have 10 stations. The halls are open for 8 hours on 4 days. That is 1920 demos per PAX Prime, and I agree that many who take tickets wouldn't show again. So I think you have a point about the tickets. But I can also think of a system where they just have you phone-picture a number and estimated time off of a laptop instead of using a ticket.

• VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular

This exact thing kept happening to me when I was trying to line up for the Naughty Dog signing last year. They told people not to line-up for the line but that's exactly what people were doing. It felt like a battle just to get in line.

This was seriously the most annoying thing. I went to the Naughty Dog panel and got a slip of paper "guaranteeing" I'd get to get in line for the signing, but there were twice as many people with those things than there was space to put them, so everybody was getting extremely frustrated.

The enforcers kept trading off who was watching the line cap. Some of them did a great job keeping people back and preventing a line for the line, but others just seemed to not give a damn, so there was a ton of frustration when some people would keep getting turned away only for other people to walk right up and get in line.

It's gotten to the point where if a line is so big they have to cap it, I literally don't even try to get in it anymore. It's unfair to the people at the surrounding booths to pretend you're interested in their stuff when really all you're doing is waiting until you can get in line for the booth you actually want to see.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • Dr.RocktipusDr.Rocktipus Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Vaanrose wrote: »
    It's unfair to the people at the surrounding booths to pretend you're interested in their stuff when really all you're doing is waiting until you can get in line for the booth you actually want to see.

Unfair, maybe, but I played When Vikings Attack on the vita two years ago while camping the Last of Us line and really enjoyed it. I doubt too many of them would complain about their proximity to some of the really popular booths.

Dr.Rocktipus on
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular

If you want to digitize the system, fine. But the point is that we have been queuing at various events for a long time now, and better ways of running them exist than just "no more line now, wait somewhere else" because that is just another, less organised line.

If people take a number and then don't return, just move onto the next person. If you get to 1028 and then person 1017 finally shows up, you can either (a) tell them they blew it, or (b) slot them in next, since 1018 took their slot, and 1019 took theirs, etc, etc, so 1028 isn't actually waiting any longer.

But unless the big booths implement something like this, the one thing you need to prepare for is a lot of waiting.

I completely agree. From the perspective of those waiting in line, something needs to be done. The question is: how do the lines look from someone running the lines?

If I was running a line, with experience in waiting in lines, I'd do it like a deli counter. Or hell, even the DMV. But I can also see how someone who sees line full, space available, open line, line full imediately, would think that nothing needs to be done. Their job goes fine.

But, yeah, i totally agree. Deli counter it up, dude!

Hey guys, I love the input about how things should be run, but could you please steer things back towards stuff that would help PAX newbies?

[ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    RE Deli Counter lines.

Keep in mind, Delis (and other place with counter systems) are usually pretty quiet, so an overhead voice can be heard when it says "Now serving number 493". Expo Hall is the complete opposite of quiet. Which means you will rely on signage announcing the numbers, which means people need to be in sight of your booth. And since you probably are loading people in on one side of the booth, you probably only have displays on one side, meaning those waiting will congregate in one small area. The number of "those waiting" can vary greatly, but its probably safe to say it would be about as many as would fit in the line. Certainly one benefit of lines is that people are in one small compact space, not milling around blocking traffic flows waiting for their number.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, I think it would be super interesting to see someone try it. I would suspect with the amount of PAXen that have happened and the creative people running booths it has at some point. But an expo hall is not the traditional venue for something like that so it will need to be thought out and tweaked a bit to fit that environment. Ideally the booth is designed to accommodate it, maybe having things people can look at and do while they wait for their number to be called.

Anyway, this discussion is probably best somewhere else.

For the topic, lines are a thing you will deal with for sure, how much you deal with them depends on what you want to see and how excited you are at being "first". Some people spend most of their PAX time in lines while others manage to avoid almost all the lines through planning and luck. For theater lines follow @PAX_Lines on twitter as that will help you figure out how early you need to line up.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    honestly? Prepare for PAX by watching the Pax videos on PAtv. A bunch are on youtube, and there's at least 1 PAX episode per season. It also has the benefit of keeping me hyped.

honestly? Prepare for PAX by watching the Pax videos on PAtv. A bunch are on youtube, and there's at least 1 PAX episode per season. It also has the benefit of keeping me hyped.

Also, keep them handy for the post-PAX comedown.

This goes out to a thank you for everybody that has contributed to this thread. It has helped me immensely in my preparations to attend my first ever PAX.

[ X ] Badge
    [ X ] Hotel
    [ X ] Plane
    Wish me luck!