As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

View registry of HDD attached externally [solved]

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
edited May 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, so I have a legally purchased copy of Mass Effect 1. I installed it on my old computer. I have since moved and lost the card that came with the ME packaging that has the serial key on it. I have my old HDD in an enclosure. I want to view the registry of this old (XP) drive to recover the key of the ME1 install and install it on my current Windows 7 PC.

Is there a way to just view the XP registry? I don't need to edit it or anything.

Alternately, is there a way to contact EA/Bioware to get another key?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...
Reznik on

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    The keywords you're looking for is "mounting a registry hive". This video has a pretty good overview.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuSxbDIlFW0

If you need to get to keys within HKEY_LOCAL_USER those are in the user's NTUSER.DAT file. Just mount it like you would the others.

I'm not sure what happens if you mount an XP hive on a seven machine. I don't think you''ll break anything... but no promises.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Thanks!

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...