Options

Hi. I'm Gog and I make things.

GogGog Registered User new member
Hi there guys. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about my process. Here's the short of it. I make a steel wire frame. I stretch stretchy stretch fabric and sew that shit right onto the steel wire. The end result: A HUGE visual presence with very little actual material. An example.udyr3jub3fqa.jpg
It makes for some real fun lamps and also great costume pieces.lfcq7sa6wiu3.jpg
I've also decided to take my process to youtube. I've been creating and recording the process from start to finish. I offer live commentary as you watch from a webcam mounted to my forehead. Granted. There are challenges to overcome. Video and audio quality leave much to be desired at this point. I'd love to hear what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQXtzbJIsLs

P.S. I also do a little LPing if you're into that kind of thing ;)

• Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Instead of just speeding up the footage to reduce the video length, I think you would be better off utilizing some well placed cuts to skip ahead. Think like a cooking show where they say, "and now you put this in the oven for 30 minutes" and then they cut away and back and they are pulling it out.

I would sit down before filming and really think about what the various distinct steps to the process are for that particular project, and then I would structure the assembly around those steps. This will make it easier to figure out where those cuts could be inserted. For example, when stitching up the end, you could just say something like, "and now you use [whatever stitch] to finish up this end all the way around" then show you starting it, cut ahead and show you tying it off. Overall this should shorten the video while also making it easier for those at home to replicate. That isn't to say that the sped-up action shots can't also be effective, but I would use more of a mix of them.

Also, the fact that the video is one long shot means that there is a lot more dead time that you have to fill with banter, and while some banter is great, you don't want to have to fill up too much time cracking jokes or w/e, talking about how you should have laid it out better, etc. That is just more work for you!

Lastly, if you are planning on making this a series, I would take the time to set yourself up an a workspace other than just your floor. Think of it like your set. In your case, since the camera is on your face, a neat, consistent setting for your hands will lend consistency between your videos (and probably be more appealing than old carpet and cracked doors!).

Oh and P.S.
    I really like how that ant head came out and that lamp shade is pretty great, although it looks a bit odd because of the choice of lamp,

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    GogGog Registered User new member
    Hey thanks for feedback. I'll totally be considering your points. I would really love to upgrade my space. Trouble is I live in a pretty tiny place so space is at a premium. But I could def throw down a new square of white carpet and think about replacing the door. I'm going to be a little glued to the floor thought. I never work sitting in chairs or at desk.