As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread of Spoilers of a Series of a Song of Ice & Fire (Thread is dark & full of grues)

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    The thread where we discuss Brienne and Pod hanging around in the Riverlands.

The thread where we discuss what happened when Tywin spilled his guts to Tyrion.

A Song of Ice and Damp Hair

I kinda like that second one for after this season.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    This may have been mentioned in the previous thread, but apparently ep 10 this season will be 66 minutes. Which is great because it could (probably even should) be the best damned episode to date.

• Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The Gregor Clegane Mystery File Novels

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »
    This may have been mentioned in the previous thread, but apparently ep 10 this season will be 66 minutes. Which is great because it could (probably even should) be the best damned episode to date.

Still have a hard time believing it'll trump Blackwater.

Or that any tv ever will trump Blackwater.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I really liked the "Thread of a Series of Books of a Song of Ice and Fire"

So many ofs

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »

So many ofs

A Thread of spoilers of a series of books of a song of ice and fire

We can work some ofs in there I'm sure.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Invisible wrote: »

So many ofs

A Thread of spoilers of a series of books of a song of ice and fire

We can work some ofs in there I'm sure.

A Thread of Spoilers of a Series of a Song of Ice & Fire (The thread is dark & full of of)

I had to change the ands to & to fit the extra ofs in. Worth it.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    A Thread of Firey Spoilers of an Icey Song of Series of Hodor

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Honestly, we should just name the next thread "Hodor."

• Options
    I check the thread title at least three times before I hit submit on anything GoT related, so having the words 'book' or 'spoilers' in there is a boon.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Honestly, we should just name the next thread "Hodor."

While I would find this amusing there should be some chance of people not in on the joke finding the thread if they want to.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    A Hodor of Spoilers of Hodor of Ice and Fire

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    Gosh I can't wait till completely unspoiled people see the battle at the wall.

It's something I think the show can do even better than the books. Everything all hopeless and slaughtery and all of a sudden Stannis shows up. Get hype. Get seriously hype.

• Options
    Also, a dead redhead to keep the emotions flowing after losing Oberyn and let everyone think that we've clearly hit our quota for major deaths for the season with Tyrion on deck.

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they have the budget for some mammoths.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    Gosh I can't wait till completely unspoiled people see the battle at the wall.

It's something I think the show can do even better than the books. Everything all hopeless and slaughtery and all of a sudden Stannis shows up. Get hype. Get seriously hype.

I dunno I have to admit I was a little underwhelmed by the "stannis gets routed at the last second by the vengeful ghost of renly!" show interpretation at the blackwater

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    A Game of Spoilers - We Do Not Tag, But We Do Read

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to the Red Viper and Mountain fight.

A therapist I see for anxiety issues is a show only viewer and like half of our sessions end up talking about this show. He's already figured out that Ayra is going somewhere else probably Braavos. I seriously love watching show only people figure stuff out. He did ask if Bronn was going to show up again and was disappointed when I said he doesn't really in the books, but he might in the show since they change so much.

• Options
    Invisible wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the Red Viper and Mountain fight.

A therapist I see for anxiety issues is a show only viewer and like half of our sessions end up talking about this show. He's already figured out that Ayra is going somewhere else probably Braavos. I seriously love watching show only people figure stuff out. He did ask if Bronn was going to show up again and was disappointed when I said he doesn't really in the books, but he might in the show since they change so much.

Have you been seeing this therapist for, say, at least a year?

Because I can imagine a situation last year where your roles were reversed for one session.

• Options
    Also, I have no ear for music so I can't appreciate this all that much, but I still find it pretty damned interesting. If you guys remember someone on here pointing out that the Lannister theme or motif or whatever was showing up during some interesting scenes with Robb last year, well that's not the only case of musical foreshadowing.

Apparently Littlefinger's theme has been all over the place, dating back to the first goddamned episode.

• Options
    Also, I have no ear for music so I can't appreciate this all that much, but I still find it pretty damned interesting. If you guys remember someone on here pointing out that the Lannister theme or motif or whatever was showing up during some interesting scenes with Robb last year, well that's not the only case of musical foreshadowing.

Apparently Littlefinger's theme has been all over the place, dating back to the first goddamned episode.

Yeah, I spotted that some time back. In the first season, the Lannisters have a very quiet string theme. In later seasons different variants of "The Rains of Castamere" have replaced it, while instead the old Lannister theme has become Littlefinger's. I don't know if they set out to do it this way or not. Even if they didn't, retroactively making the old Lannister theme into Littlefinger's recolors the first season, hinting at his hand behind the scenes. Very clever bit of work.

• Options

Yeah, I spotted that some time back. In the first season, the Lannisters have a very quiet string theme. In later seasons different variants of "The Rains of Castamere" have replaced it, while instead the old Lannister theme has become Littlefinger's. I don't know if they set out to do it this way or not. Even if they didn't, retroactively making the old Lannister theme into Littlefinger's recolors the first season, hinting at his hand behind the scenes. Very clever bit of work.

Considering they literally knew everything years in advance, I think it's safe to assume a lot of that was intentional planning. The implication is that it's the "Lannisters" doing, but really all you're hearing is the guiding hand of Littlefinger towards the damnation of Westeros.

• Options

and oh by the way, our season 4 finale will be airing on Fathers Day (in most countries)

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Comradebot wrote: »

Considering they literally knew everything years in advance, I think it's safe to assume a lot of that was intentional planning. The implication is that it's the "Lannisters" doing, but really all you're hearing is the guiding hand of Littlefinger towards the damnation of Westeros.

Well, when they filmed the first season they had no idea if they'd get a second or not. I can easily see them telling Ramin Djawadi to just create a court-intrigue-y sounding theme for the Lannisters, and later they reworked it to be Littlefinger's. I susspect this is the case because there are scenes in season one and two where the theme plays, but that have no connection to Littlefinger. Joffrey's theme, for example, is a blending of the bombastic Robert Baratheon/King theme from season one, combined with the old Lannister theme. A good example of it is the scene early in season two, where Joffrey has Robert's bastards murdered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh6ACdwNlyk

(The blending kicks in at 1:20)

There are other cases where the theme is used for events Littlefinger had no hand in. The old Lannister music really only becomes his, completely, in season three.

Fakefaux on
  • Options
    RanaVexRanaVex Registered User regular

Great exploration ! Really interesting and good observation. I will try to have an eye (ear :D ) to it in the next episodes.

i24ljphx1z1q.jpg
  • Options
    It's interesting to see what they do and what they don't have a motif for. The Tyrells, for example, have been major players for three seasons (counting this one) yet they still have no motif, while most of the other major houses do. The Baratheon house has no motif of its own, just Robert's "king" music (which was blended into Joffrey's), and the unique Stannis/Lord of light motif.

It's also interesting how few characters have their own unquiet music, but those that do often get it as a result of other motifs being blended together. Jon's, for example, is a blending of the Stark motif and the show's theme song.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Super tempted to just post "Myrcella is older than Tommen" in the other thread.

• Options
    Jragghen wrote: »

They know? We're talking about how Tommen inherits because he's male.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

And they're talking about how dornish inheritance is different. But they haven't put two and two together yet.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

And they're talking about how dornish inheritance is different. But they haven't put two and two together yet.

They really haven't seen enough of Dorne yet to realize they have enough military power to make such a thing thinkable.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Dorne doesn't.

• Options
    Yeah, everything Dorne/Oberyn has done so far is explained by them wanting revenge for Elia's death. They'd need to figure out Myrcella's "claim" if they show the Queenmaker plot at the beginning of next season

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    The only thing Dorne's military is particularly strong at is defending, because they can move ridiculously quickly and melt into the desert which they're so used to. They could defend against a freaking fully grown dragon.

But, an offensive Dorne have never been described as an effective Dorne.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Yeah, Dorne's biggest military threat is the heat. Their soldiers are used to it and work in it well while Northerners' troops aren't and don't.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Yeah, Dorne's biggest military threat is the heat. Their soldiers are used to it and work in it well while Northerners' troops aren't and don't.

Conversely, I wouldn't expect the Dornish to fare too well in the north.

• Options
    PolarisPolaris I am powerless against the sky. Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    I just rewatched ep7 and was taken by just how awesome Peter was again. Three scenes, each better than the last. I think he topped the previous trial scene in this. And yet, arguably his best moment is yet to come this season.

I find I am looking forward to that somewhat.

Polaris on
  • Options
    Amusingly enough, it seems the final episode of the season falls on Father's Day.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I'm still somewhat annoyed with how they changed the Thenns. Going from the last example of the First Men into some sort of weird cannibal self-scarifiers.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Going to drag this back to music a bit. While overall, the music is done quite well, the overuse of Action Strikes and Action Strings has really started to annoy me. Yes, it's a pretty cool VST, but it's used so often now and it sticks out and completely drags me out of the show. Hell, I use it sometimes, but the key being sometimes.

• Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    The Westeros Broadcasting Station (WBS) regrets to report that our ground-breaking comedy series "One and a Half Man" will not be returning for a 5th season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi358XpWQwk&feature=mh_lolz&list=FL7tnVrG3ADp4

Both leads have cited "creative differences" for why they are leaving the series. In its place, WBS is proud to announce our mid-season replacement - the hilarious misadventures of "Bri & Pod"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NZ6pDRnPM

Will these two hard-luck heroes complete their quest whilst traveling the war-torn lands of Westeros? Tune in every Sunday night to find out!