• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular

BahamutZERO
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

BahamutZERODee Kae
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

BaidolTonkkaDisruptedCapitalistDee Kae
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited October 4
    Ah yes, that traditional Japanese instrument, the electric guitar... :lol: (I like it anyway.)

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    BahamutZERODee Kae
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    mystical ninja goemon, well known for its historically accurate giant robot battles

BahamutZERO.gif
    Commander ZoomCrippl3

BahamutZERO.gif
    DisruptedCapitalist
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

BahamutZERO.gif
    The Game Music Festival at the National Forum Of Music in Wroclaw, Poland is this upcoming weekend, October 16-17. Both concerts will be streaming online for free, and recordings of the shows will be on YouTube afterwards.
    Night 1 is The Symphony of Four Worlds, featuring music from Supergiant's games Hades, Bastion, Transistor, and Pyre.
    Night 2 is The Symphony of Sin, featuring music from Larian Studios' Baldur's Gate 3 and Divinity: Original Sin 2.

BahamutZERODisruptedCapitalistElvenshae

BahamutZERO.gif

Crippl3
  • HenroidHenroid Seize the Memes Registered User regular
    Activision-Blizzard: "We're a multi-billion dollar company and our idea of writing elven language music in Warcraft is to have the lyrics just repeat names and phrases we've heard for like 20 years."

Nier Automata Team: "We're going to write a fictional language for the lyrics of our songs."

Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    I stream at night - /henroidt on Twitch
    BahamutZEROLD50Beasteh
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    "This cannot continue" is english tho.

Also, western AAA video game music sucks and is boring as shit.

Speaking of Nier, I really love how the original game's soundtrack was composed. Every track was composed in several layers (say, 2 or 3 instrumental layers, a percussion layer, a vocal layer, etc). Each zone would only have 1 theme, but different layers would be pulled in and out dynamically to fit the situation. For instance, instead of having combat music, the percussion layer would get pulled in. Instead of having a separate piece for emotional scenes, everything would fade out but the vocals. Because all the layers were a part of the same song, this could be done at any time, from any set of layers to any other, all without transitions.

ElvenshaeOrca
    LD50 wrote: »
    Also, western AAA video game music sucks and is boring as shit.

???????????

all disagreements in this thread must be settled through soundtrack posting

BahamutZERO.gif
    NaphtaliBeastehHenroidCommander ZoomDisruptedCapitalistTynnanElvenshae
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    all disagreements in this thread must be settled through soundtrack posting

absolutely, settle it on the street

B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    djmitchella
    edited October 15

like just off the top of my head from recent years
    can never remember individual track names for some of those, sorry for full ost posting

Crippl3 on
    BahamutZERO
    edited October 15

the NMS OST is fuckin fantastic, it's AAA enough IMO, that's a full playlist uploaded by the band who created it
    acronyms

For real Bethesda and their assorted studios have put out some of my favorite video game music in years

Crippl3 on
    BahamutZERO
  • OrphaneOrphane A black light In the deep blue seaRegistered User regular

• HenroidHenroid Seize the Memes Registered User regular
    I'll agree to Bethesda music doing a pretty good job on setting the mood and such. See: Oblivion.

Shout outs to Auriel's Ascension. Like holy shit that track.

Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    I stream at night - /henroidt on Twitch
    Commander ZoomElvenshae
    I will agree that Bethesda is the exception in regards to my AAA music is bad take. I don't really like to plug Elder Scrolls though, because the composer is gross.

Prey does have a killer soundtrack. I wish the composer did an entire album of music like the helicopter ride music from the beginning of the game. I really dig how that piece was a bait-and-switch musically that mirrored the bait-and-switch of the plot.

• Emerlmaster999Emerlmaster999 Registered User regular
    Been playing Ikenfell, a magic school RPG that has some of the Steven Universe composers on for the soundtrack:

It's real good.

BahamutZERO
    I don't really like to plug Elder Scrolls though, because the composer is gross.

Ah hell I forgot about this

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Been playing Ikenfell, a magic school RPG that has some of the Steven Universe composers on for the soundtrack:

It's real good.

I also really dig the art style / character designs there.

steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
  • OrphaneOrphane A black light In the deep blue seaRegistered User regular

• Emerlmaster999Emerlmaster999 Registered User regular

It's real good.

I also really dig the art style / character designs there.

The game itself is pixel art, but they do it well and have a very diverse cast.

image0.jpg

cj iwakuraCrippl3
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I will agree that Bethesda is the exception in regards to my AAA music is bad take. I don't really like to plug Elder Scrolls though, because the composer is gross.

Prey does have a killer soundtrack. I wish the composer did an entire album of music like the helicopter ride music from the beginning of the game. I really dig how that piece was a bait-and-switch musically that mirrored the bait-and-switch of the plot.

I have to say, I played through the entirety of Prey and enjoyed it and if you told me the game had no music I would believe you. It made no impression on me whatsoever for some reason.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent The World on This SideRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    image0.jpg

I can't not hear this in York's voice.

lPeK6xY.png
    Drascin wrote: »

I have to say, I played through the entirety of Prey and enjoyed it and if you told me the game had no music I would believe you. It made no impression on me whatsoever for some reason.

I think that it has to do with the soundtrack being primarily atmospheric. The soundtrack is by all accounts good, it just doesn't leave an impression. That is a complaint I have about many western style soundtracks. Mass Effect and Assassin's Creed are both good examples; they have great memorable pieces like Ezio's Family and the galaxy map theme, but are otherwise unremarkable.

• JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    The Solitaire Conspiracy, which came out a couple of weeks ago, has a nifty dynamic soundtrack (by Jon Everist, channeling the style of Hans Zimmer or techno-thriller soundtracks like Tom Clancy movies, etc) that speeds up as you get closer to completing the solitaire game. I have to admit, it's pretty fun when you realize you're closing in on the end of the puzzle and the soundtrack starts going like you're in a car chase gunfight through the streets of Vienna or whatever.

rRwz9.gif
    DisruptedCapitalistElvenshaeCommander ZoomTynnan
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist koyaanisqatsi Registered User regular
    What a curious premise for a game. What's the gameplay like? Fun?

I am told it is a very easy version of solitaire and the presentation is the only notable thing about it but ymmv

BahamutZERO.gif