As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I just did the thing!

Added a Legendary MechWarriors pack too.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    arghl

barghl

So I went through and it turns out I definitely want 6 packs, and would optionally like maybe up to 4 more. Which puts me squarely in between Bloodnamed and Star Colonel.

SO Anybody wanna either buy up to 3 packs from me, and or let me buy some packs from them?

e: also willing to buy a canon character if somebody has one that they just genuinely do not want (and also ASSUMING we'll be able to band those together by unit)

bumping because botp

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    One of everything plus an extra SCat and Nova Cat pack. Jumpship. Canon character for me and @DaMoonRulz.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    So am I the only one finding that different factions look/work better for each of the available mediums (coin, dice, shirt, pin, patch)? I'm so far going all clan, but I'm finding I like different clans. WIdowmaker for the dice, for instance, but Snow Raven's shirt is way nicer, and I don't want the spider legs for the pin, but the Blood Spirit pin is baller, etc...

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Bloodnamed is now open, I need to find the list I put together of which packs I wanted...

Nobody on
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    So am I the only one finding that different factions look/work better for each of the available mediums (coin, dice, shirt, pin, patch)? I'm so far going all clan, but I'm finding I like different clans. WIdowmaker for the dice, for instance, but Snow Raven's shirt is way nicer, and I don't want the spider legs for the pin, but the Blood Spirit pin is baller, etc...

I thought about picking and choosing, then just decided to go FRR all the way down.

Space Vikings 4 Life!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    So did anyone else notice the Comstar lances are reversed from what they're supposed to be? I thought I was going crazy because I knew I marked down I wanted 2 of the command lances that were the king crap, highlander etc. But in the pledge manager the image was showing the Crockett and that crew who were originally listed as the Battle Level II.

NOW...

Is this a mistake on their end in the pledge manager?

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    So did anyone else notice the Comstar lances are reversed from what they're supposed to be? I thought I was going crazy because I knew I marked down I wanted 2 of the command lances that were the king crap, highlander etc. But in the pledge manager the image was showing the Crockett and that crew who were originally listed as the Battle Level II.

NOW...

Nips did. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

NOW...

Nips did. :)

DAMN HIS WALL OF TEXT

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

I thought about picking and choosing, then just decided to go FRR all the way down.

Space Vikings 4 Life!

I couldn't do it. I had to pick and choose based on what looked good. I WISH WISH WISH they would bring all the house and clan logos into the 21st century. They all look horrible and straight out of early 90s computer renders.
    All the logos on the t-shirts looked bad. Patches and pins were OK. But man...

kx3klFE.png
  • Options

Space Vikings 4 Life!

I couldn't do it. I had to pick and choose based on what looked good. I WISH WISH WISH they would bring all the house and clan logos into the 21st century. They all look horrible and straight out of early 90s computer renders.

Totally agree. I honestly cannot fathom who would order the "all the t-shirts" pack. Even if you have some use for 40+ t-shirts at once, or have some network of people who would want each of them or are a retailer of obscurely decorated clothing or something, the designs they have up representing the shirts are so deeply homely. I got a Kurita one, not because of any affinity for the house, but just because it was the only design I could even conceive of wearing out in the world.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Mother truckers when I get my FRR shirt I'mma wear that and a horned helmet and take my daughter to play group and be all like "YOOOOOOO WHAT'S UP NORMIES SPACE VIKINGS IN THE HOUUUUUSE!!!!" to all the other stay-at-home moms in the room.

Now I just need to find a horned helmet small enough for my tiny progeny.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I always thought the FRR colors of violet and turquoise were kind of an odd choice. Like, why not an icy blue on dark blue theme to make people think of the North Atlantic, or a red & gold serpent on blue (that is, a mashup of various Scandy flag colors)?

If you're not going to be thematic with your color choices, at least pick a pairing that has good contrast, like MN Vikings' purple and yellow, or something.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Violet? I guess like super-faintly, but I'd always read their emblem as turquoise on medium blue, or very-blue-smidgen-of-purple.

200px-3lr21sk0vp3if02ldylatktcichkzhg.jpg?timestamp=20081125053554

Looks suitably cold looking to me.

Nips on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    It's not as notable on that one, and right now my google-fu is mostly turning up the MWO variant, but other older renditions were often noticeably more purple than that. I mean, it's not a good example of what I'm talking about, but to show that they probably intended it to be a purple:
    tkf9itz3o6wf.jpg

Now, imagine if the shield had been navy, the serpent red, with the black decorations on the serpent in a golden yellow and the green pips were white. How sharp would that have looked?

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I mean, I loves me some purple, so I would have been fine with that emblem as well.

Navy/red/yellow? I can kinda see it in my head. I'm curious enough, I might mock that up if I have a moment.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate it. It just always seemed like an odd choice to me.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I ended up picking the Combine shirt and Goliath Scorpion of all things. Snow Raven was up there as well, but my BT roots are pitted in the combine. The FRR patch and pin were cool, so I did get those.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    There are so many mechs I want, but I already know I'm never going to play and I'm just collecting toys. I can't justify spending more than the $200.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    There are so many mechs I want, but I already know I'm never going to play and I'm just collecting toys. I can't justify spending more than the $200.

I'm agreeing with this despite you having a more responsible fiscal threshold for nostalgia driven dust gatherer purchases. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    "You have 17 products left"

Oh lawd what have I done to myself? Galaxy Commander level is definitely this only with Battletech:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXc5ltzKq3Y

EDIT: Got doubles out the wazzoo for everything I wanted. This may have been the Clan Kickstarter but I went in hard with bolstering my Inner Sphere mech collection. I'm gonna have enough to field some pretty impressive armies for Alpha Strike once this all starts showing up. I'm also gonna be swimming in FRR swag and I couldn't be happier that we didn't get forgotten about. OOSIKS FOR LIFE

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

Space Vikings 4 Life!

I thought Snow Raven looked pretty good actually
    b64775a257f8241eba3f7913944e96381a1e7390.png

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I mean, I loves me some purple, so I would have been fine with that emblem as well.

Navy/red/yellow? I can kinda see it in my head. I'm curious enough, I might mock that up if I have a moment.

I'd actually thought about making some examples in MS Paint myself, but couldn't find any illustrations of the shield with flat colors for easy spill-painting. To be fair, the variation I was picturing when talking about the various Scandinavian flag colors (Sweden, Iceland, Åland Islands) is basically the same as the Red Bull Sports Team colors.
    rofyjxjq48pu.jpg
    jsyisbjoikmv.png

Edit: I did just find this while looking again for a flat-colors version of the shield. It's from the Paradox forums, dunno the actual source. Here's the version I found on the forum:
    r2dgo4fyveu8.png
    Pretty cool huh?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I'd actually thought about making some examples in MS Paint myself, but couldn't find any illustrations of the shield with flat colors for easy spill-painting.

Any of these any help? (spoiler'd for huge)
    efl8dlz2b23d.png
    5wz984wx5wwd.png
    5mno3vk4zcfx.png
    s0xi49dpp10q.png

• Options
    I'd wear the image from the dice selection no problems

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I'd actually thought about making some examples in MS Paint myself, but couldn't find any illustrations of the shield with flat colors for easy spill-painting.

Any of these any help? (spoiler'd for huge)
    efl8dlz2b23d.png
    5wz984wx5wwd.png
    5mno3vk4zcfx.png
    s0xi49dpp10q.png

Thanks! I'll have to mess around with them later. I edited a neat blue & white version I found on the Paradox forums into the post you're replying to (and my half-assed recolor of it), but it's real small and you end up with lots of slightly different color in the pixels along the edges so any color changes look a little sloppy. Hopefully one of yours will be easier to work with.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The thing is, I really like flags and heraldry and stuff like that. Like, I spend a ridiculous amount of time playing around with the various infantry painter apps over on Bolter & Chainsword for Warhammer 40000. Or just trying different stuff in MS Paint using the sample Primaris Space Marine template (spoiled for size):
    s2d29bpnv15b.png
    There's a great educational site called Lizardpoint that has map-based geography and flag quizzes I like to do every once in a while to refresh my memory. They even have one that combines the two where you match flags to the countries on a map! This has led to me having a top 5 best flags list:
    1. East Timor
      kke49j0li55x.png
    2. Caithness, UK
      cyhtv57rb7jt.png
    3. Cape Verde
      tpaw3ef892xt.png
    4. Ceuta, Spain
      kg9kbdkr7xz4.png
    5. Marshall Islands
      b98dar7thoba.png

So you can bet I spend a lot of time thinking about the choices for flags, shields, etc in any escapist fantasy series I like.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Faction swag ramblings

tl;dr FRR is best patch, Comstar best pin, Widowmaker dice, and any coin except Hell's Horses or Comstar.
    Of the patches, the FRR, Federated Commonwealth, and Wolf's Dragoons look the most like actual combat unit patches you might find on a modern uniform. Ghost Bear, Hell's Horses, Ice Hellion, Blood Spirit, and Davion and Steiner individual houses also work well, and some others are close (Coyote, Nova Cat). The only ones I actively dislike are the ones where if you were going to sew it on you'd have to make a bunch of odd passes (Widowmaker and Wolverine for instance). No military unit would keep a patch like that for very long, it's just way more practical to have a simple shape to sew on. All of the irregular geometry shapes would benefit greatly from a background shape. Snow Raven on a diamond backing, Liao on an inverted triangle backing, etc.

For the lapel pins I have to say that Comstar actually looks really, really good, which is likely mostly due to the fact it looks like that's what it would have actually been in-universe, some sort of metallic badge, like Star Trek communicators. Most of the others work more or less well (I said to my wife that I feel like the label pins have a high floor and low ceiling, the worst still looks alright and the best doesn't look that much amazingly better). My biggest gripe is with things like the Widowmaker spider legs being off the background, so they could stick or bend or break over time (same with Wolverine and the claw marks), and the color palettes on some of them are a little weird (Coyote and Nova Cat look good but rather Saturday Morning Cartoon-ish). I'd probably say Comstar wins this category, with FRR, Kurita, and Steiner being very close behind.

My biggest gripe with both the pins and the patches is I think there should be a background big enough to contain the whole logo (c/f the coins vs the pins/patches for Goliath Scorpion, Widowmaker, and Wolverine).

The dice for me are hit or miss (pun!) based mostly on the colors. Factions I'd think otherwise work well (Ice Hellion, Coyote, FC) have color combos that are a little too jarring for me. Widowmaker to me has the prettiest dice logo, but Blood Spirit and Snow Raven are close behind, because the designs work and also the colors contrast in a way that's easy for pip reading without being too jarring. Ice Hellion and FC are my runners up because the designs are good but the colors are soooooo bad to me. Just very jarring. Comstar's bugs me because the logo just doesn't work very well in a square (or circle) in my eyes.

The coins are like the pins, but even more so because they're all gold-on-black. The only ones I think really don't work are mostly geometry problems (Hell's Horses hexagon inside the Clan pentagon, Comstar's tall rectangle in the Inner Sphere circle). None of these really fail, though a couple could be called a little too busy (FRR, Ice Hellion), but that's not a detraction for me.

For me the I think the choice that works best across the board is Snow Raven. A few only fall short in one or two places. Widowmaker's loose legs on the patch, FC's dice colors, Comstar's logo geometry, etc. Steiner is a strong second but I worry about the dice color contrast and the color palette on the patch is a little off for me. Blood Spirit, Ice Hellion, FC, Widowmaker, and FRR are all strong runners up as well. Most of the factions are just fine overall, if it's a faction you loved then you're probably just fine with what they did with it.

Shirts are all fine I guess? I don't know, I think the big logo is a little off for me, but that's stylistic. What I really, really would just love would be polo shirts with the various faction logos over the left breast. Could even do faction-appropriate color options as well! That'd be a very, very expensive endeavor, but oh man I'd wear the hell out of those.

I really, really wish I could just have the option for the generic Clan Daggerstar for everything. Then in the next boxed set they could do the new Star League logo.

Tox on
  • Options
    Hoooooooly crossover batman

https://i.redd.it/rjtijemg74z31.jpg

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    That's some good paintin'. Han's put on a bit of weight, though.

Nips on
  • Options
    That's some good paintin'. Han's put on a bit of weight, though.

Hes just bulkin up on all that wookie juice he's been drinking

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    This actually pans out because in the new greedo edit, they shoot simultaneously.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    So is anybody not just straight up ordering extra packs? Like, is that what we're all doing?

• Options
    I didn't end up ordering extra packs beyond my KS package. I really, really wanted to but I don't need to spend all that money. I already have more minis from various things than I can ever display.

• Options
    I didn't end up ordering extra packs beyond my KS package. I really, really wanted to but I don't need to spend all that money. I already have more minis from various things than I can ever display.

Which one(s) were you wanting? And were they for the whole pack or just specific 'mechs?

• Options
    Yeah, I feel like I'm awash in packs after making my KS picks. I didn't really want any others. There were some individual mechs in packs I didn't pick that I would have liked (looking at you Centurion!), but given the already staggering volume of plastic headed my way I was comfortable with that.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    I will never be comfortable with the amount of tiny Stompy Robots in my possession.

Depending on the day I either feel like my backlog is too much, or then alternately I need more so as be literally buried alive by them.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I need some free time to do the thing. Been busy since it launched and I don't see any clear skies in the near future. When does it "close"? Hopefully I have some time left, otherwise I'll have to forego some sleep to get it done.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

Which one(s) were you wanting? And were they for the whole pack or just specific 'mechs?

I tried to put good info on the trade sheet. I didn't want any full packs badly enough to get them, but I have strong, fond memories of and therefore wanted: Warhawk, Kodiak, Kit Fox, Ebon Jaguar, and the Huntsman. And the Kodiak and Ebon Jaguar probably top the list.

• Options
    I will trade anyone at a very favorable rate for their mechs in exchange for my Myth or Zombicide minis lol.