As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Watching now...

The Black Widow Company were clanners in disguise on an extended scouting mission?!

EDIT: Or it was Wolf's Dragoons?!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Black Widow Company is a unit within Wolf's Dragoons.

Wolf's Dragoons were a covert Scouting unit from the Clans, intended to gather Intel on the IS military capabilities long before the Invasion.

So, yes.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    We'll be talking Vehicles & answering questions from chat at 2pm PT today! Join us! #BATTLETECH Dev Q&A @Hyper_RPG! https://t.co/HwNrO3nJn1

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Beta ded. :(

RIPeroni pizza.
    RIParoni and cheese.
    RIP and tear.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Beta ded. :(

RIPeroni pizza.
    RIParoni and cheese.
    RIP and tear.

At least it was quick. None of that slow, lingering, slowly burning to death or drowning for Beta.
    Just AC20 to the face and somebody has to hose out the remains of the cockpit.

• Options
    You shall be missed, Beta

giphy.gif

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
  • Options
    Diva didn't die too, did she?
    Or is she getting upgraded to the Catapult? I mean, it's not like β's gonna be using it..

• Options
    @see317 well the Catapult got upgrade to a NyanCatapult, so that might actually be Diva
    They sold the Cent to help pay for the Orion and the Orion doesn't have a cockpit right now.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2016
    @see317 well the Catapult got upgrade to a NyanCatapult, so that might actually be Diva
    They sold the Cent to help pay for the Orion and the Orion doesn't have a cockpit right now.

Are they buying from Bob's Discount Military Hardware?

I mean, I did just buy a pair of Von Luckners from a guy without their turrets. I get it, times are tough all over.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    @Nips apparently the Orion does have a cockpit but last night's game was ROUGH.

Enemy commander was a guy from Catalyst who pushed them almost to the breaking point.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Nips apparently the Orion does have a cockpit but last night's game was ROUGH.

Enemy commander was a guy from Catalyst who pushed them almost to the breaking point.

Also, an absolutely terrible pirate.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Spotted these rips of new 'Mech art from the upcoming Succession Wars book. Woooo!

92E35B98-D18C-47DE-8CDD-44C26FBF9CDE.png_zpsrj6t2e7f.jpeg
    EB3BC75E-C439-48CB-B656-92CA2DCEF4A9.png_zpsl5sktvhs.jpeg
    815D10EB-D59B-405E-8921-A5EE332B3230.png_zpsnbtq7mhq.jpeg

Nips on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Oh man those look beautiful.

Edit: That brings back memories of my first BT where my character was given a damaged Valkyrie to pilot.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    More delicious Classics art, this from the cover of the upcoming Combat Manual: House Kurita

tumblr_inline_o86ggkxZIe1s9c9hj_1280.jpg

Dat cockpit, unnnfff.

Nips on
  • Options
    Wow.
    That was certainly a thing that just happened on DFA.

Gonna take a bit to process that.
    Say hi to Beta for me...

• Options
    Couldn't wait, skipped to the end to see what happened.

Damn.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Okay for real though what are you guys talking about. Can someone gimme some links?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    @Tox Death From Above on Twitch.tv/HyperRPG it happened last night so you need to be a sub to watch it on demand until they post it on Youtube

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Are they HyperRPG on YouTube?

• Options
    @Tox yep! https://youtu.be/9cWDH28kGX8 here's a fan made trailer

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    Okay for real though what are you guys talking about. Can someone gimme some links?

Friday nights, the team at Harebrained Schemes that's building the Battletech game gets together and plays a tabletop version of Battletech, complete with large 3-d printed models of the mechs that are damaged when they get hit (wood burner for energy weapons, dremel with a drill bit for missiles/autocannons, big hammer for when a mech is destroyed).
    They broadcast their game on twitch at https://www.twitch.tv/hyperrpg, Friday nights at 6 pacific.

In a couple days, they should have last night's game up on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHKocVDXoWBvk0-skvvtUaMiFoo1MYPd9\
    They used to split the game into two nights, one for RPing and the other for the tabletop stompy bots. Now they just do one long session on Fridays though. Start out with RP, then take a break to set up the table.

To spoil what happened over the past couple games
    Serious spoilers for their game.
    One of the players (call sign Beta) was tracked down by a bounty hunter (call sign Geist), and took an AC/20 to the face. He failed (spectacularly) at rolling his piloting role to eject in time and died.
    Prior to this event, the Lord Commander had asked Beta to look into the history of another player (call sign Diva), since she had apparently shown up out of nowhere with no past and other suspicious circumstances.
    Last night, the Lord Commander shared a round of drinks of Beta's favorite brew and shared some personal logs from Beta's computer that implicated Diva as a Lyran (I think it was Lyran, not really up on my BT lore) mole who had gone undercover, and then he shared further information from Lord Mulligan (who hired them for their most recent combat mission) stating that it was Diva who tipped the Geist off to their location.

Then Diva died because the Lord Commander had poisoned her drink.
    As she lay dying, LC asked her to say "hi" to Beta for them.
    Of course, it loses something in the retelling, because I'm compressing hours of role play into a handful of sentences.

• Options
    *sigh* Sometimes I enjoy-hate this hobby, and the way it just defeats all my defenses and grabs onto the balls of my compulsions so badly. Let me spin y'all a short tale.

I've been trying to slow my roll on new miniatures purchases. Y'know, because I actually want to finish painting my collection sometime before I die. And given the speed at which I paint (god damn OCD perfectionist in me), I'm set up to be painting for a very long time. So I decided to put a cut-off on my Spreadsheet of Doom! No more new purchases, outside of the ones to fill in the gaps I'd already planned. A finite goal, with a clearly-defined and achievable end. Something to keep this hobby from continuing to spill forward like an ever-rushing barrage of missiles to my wallet. Or at least, let me catch up to the front of the tide.

And then one day, something snapped in my brain. "Hey, 'Mechs are great. I own a lot of them, and only have a reasonable number left to buy to fill out my spreadsheet. But what about vehicles and infantry? I don't have nearly enough to deploy any nice, coherent combined-arms forces. I should fix that!"

Stupid, stupid compulsions. So it's back to eBay (as if I'd ever left!), scouring for second-hand vehicles to fill out a now-gaping hole in my collection. I'd unintentionally managed to transfer that sweet, sweet hit of dopamine from 'Mech purchases to Vehicle purchases. Damnit. At least with the vehicles, I'd decided I wasn't going to Master Class Golden Demon paint these things. Just assemble, basic camo paintjob (compatible with basically any force that needs them), and get them on the table.

So I got that under control. Slowed the roll, again. But as with all borderline addictions, the clean-and-sober period was not to last. Someone posted a neat pic of a figure over on the official BattleTech forums. "Hey, I've never seen that 'Mech before? What is this thing? Off to Sarna!" And before long, I'd discovered another corner of the BattleTech universe (complete with out-of-production Unseen figures!) that I now lust after, am scouring eBay for, and for which my wallet weeps.

And the worst part about it, is that the figures in question (Nexus, Raijin, Grand Crusader) are only in the MUL for ComStar and the Word of Blake. I already have a ComStar lance. And I don't really like the Wobbies...but they have this neat Celestial line of 'Mechs to fill out a Level 2...damnit.

This game is rife with rabbit holes, and me and my wallet keep falling down into new ones.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    *sigh* Sometimes I enjoy-hate this hobby, and the way it just defeats all my defenses and grabs onto the balls of my compulsions so badly. Let me spin y'all a short tale.

I've been trying to slow my roll on new miniatures purchases. Y'know, because I actually want to finish painting my collection sometime before I die. And given the speed at which I paint (god damn OCD perfectionist in me), I'm set up to be painting for a very long time. So I decided to put a cut-off on my Spreadsheet of Doom! No more new purchases, outside of the ones to fill in the gaps I'd already planned. A finite goal, with a clearly-defined and achievable end. Something to keep this hobby from continuing to spill forward like an ever-rushing barrage of missiles to my wallet. Or at least, let me catch up to the front of the tide.

And then one day, something snapped in my brain. "Hey, 'Mechs are great. I own a lot of them, and only have a reasonable number left to buy to fill out my spreadsheet. But what about vehicles and infantry? I don't have nearly enough to deploy any nice, coherent combined-arms forces. I should fix that!"

Stupid, stupid compulsions. So it's back to eBay (as if I'd ever left!), scouring for second-hand vehicles to fill out a now-gaping hole in my collection. I'd unintentionally managed to transfer that sweet, sweet hit of dopamine from 'Mech purchases to Vehicle purchases. Damnit. At least with the vehicles, I'd decided I wasn't going to Master Class Golden Demon paint these things. Just assemble, basic camo paintjob (compatible with basically any force that needs them), and get them on the table.

So I got that under control. Slowed the roll, again. But as with all borderline addictions, the clean-and-sober period was not to last. Someone posted a neat pic of a figure over on the official BattleTech forums. "Hey, I've never seen that 'Mech before? What is this thing? Off to Sarna!" And before long, I'd discovered another corner of the BattleTech universe (complete with out-of-production Unseen figures!) that I now lust after, am scouring eBay for, and for which my wallet weeps.

And the worst part about it, is that the figures in question (Nexus, Raijin, Grand Crusader) are only in the MUL for ComStar and the Word of Blake. I already have a ComStar lance. And I don't really like the Wobbies...but they have this neat Celestial line of 'Mechs to fill out a Level 2...damnit.

This game is rife with rabbit holes, and me and my wallet keep falling down into new ones.

Is it cruel of me to ask if they ever made models of the Japan-only redesigns of the unseen (from the original Japanese release, I think they were done by Studio Nue? They're very busy and weird-looking compared to any other art-style used by FASA)?

For me it was just trying to collect the sourcebooks. Back in the early 2000's I had a lot of disposable income and went sorta nuts trying to buy up everything without really researching or planning on what I wanted. If I could go back I'd have chosen to just get the tech readouts and one set of faction sourcebooks. Oh, and the rules expansion stuff like Citytech. I think I have Battlespace too, which was apparently dumb as they dropped that and went back to Aerospace (thought I don't have any version of that). I haven't bought any new ones since Project Phoenix and TRO (3067?)

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Holy crap, now that's a rabbit hole. After few minutes of searching (because I'd never heard of Studio Nue), I understand and....holy crap, what a mess.

"In the Japanese edition of BattleTech, all of these designs were redesigned by Studio Nue"

I did manage to come across a gallery purportedly of the Studio Nue art versions of the BattleTech designs. Does any of this look like what you remember? I've only ever come across some of this art in a very limited manner. I've seen that Rifleman and Marauder art before, but thought it was fanart! I've definitely never seen any models based on this art. Holy moly, some of those designs are craaaaaaazy.

And I have BattleSpace! Even played a game once. It was....difficult.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Holy crap, now that's a rabbit hole. After few minutes of searching (because I'd never heard of Studio Nue), I understand and....holy crap, what a mess.

"In the Japanese edition of BattleTech, all of these designs were redesigned by Studio Nue"

I did manage to come across a gallery purportedly of the Studio Nue art versions of the BattleTech designs. Does any of this look like what you remember? I've only ever come across some of this art in a very limited manner. I've seen that Rifleman and Marauder art before, but thought it was fanart! I've definitely never seen any models based on this art. Holy moly, some of those designs are craaaaaaazy.

Yup, that's the stuff. Pretty crazy looking huh? I can't imagine there were minis because they're so detail-heavy. I just wanted to tease you a bit.

Edit: As I understand it, the best part of the story behind those Japanese redesigns was that Studio Nue is the group that actually made Macross. So, like, FASA was clearly on good terms with the actual content creators for much of the Unseen, but because of the Japanese legal kerfluffle regarding who owned the rights to Macross, one of the production companies (I wanna say Big West) was able to accidentally sign away the entire international licensing rights for the original SDF Macross series to Harmony Gold (as opposed to, say, just North American localization and merchanidising like a sane rights-holder would do) which is how we got the whole "unseen" shit-storm. Two more interesting points: the current legal situation as I understand it is that sometime in the 2000's the Japanese courts upheld Nue's claim to have actually owned the rights to everything in the franchise but the original anime series itself, and merchandise exclusive to it, so HG's deal should be invalid, meanwhile HG has long held the stance that their contract grants them international rights to everything Macross and not just the original series which is why official export/localization is so rare, the big issue here is that no one with the means to fight it out with them in court has sufficient financial incentive to do so.

Despite my collection of miscellaneous sourcebooks I've never actually gotten to play more than a handful of games of core rules Battletech (unless you count MegaMek games against the computer). I'd love to try to get my fleet action on, but would probably be pretty terrible at it.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

The best stand ins I have for vehicles and infantry are the little plastic pieces from my old old copy of Axis and Allies. VTOLs can be roughed in with the fighters and bombers make passable aerospace fighters.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Yup, that's the stuff. Pretty crazy looking huh? I can't imagine there were minis because they're so detail-heavy. I just wanted to tease you a bit.

Edit: As I understand it, the best part of the story behind those Japanese redesigns was that Studio Nue is the group that actually made Macross. So, like, FASA was clearly on good terms with the actual content creators for much of the Unseen, but because of the Japanese legal kerfluffle regarding who owned the rights to Macross, one of the production companies (I wanna say Big West) was able to accidentally sign away the entire international licensing rights for the original SDF Macross series to Harmony Gold (as opposed to, say, just North American localization and merchanidising like a sane rights-holder would do) which is how we got the whole "unseen" shit-storm. Two more interesting points: the current legal situation as I understand it is that sometime in the 2000's the Japanese courts upheld Nue's claim to have actually owned the rights to everything in the franchise but the original anime series itself, and merchandise exclusive to it, so HG's deal should be invalid, meanwhile HG has long held the stance that their contract grants them international rights to everything Macross and not just the original series which is why official export/localization is so rare, the big issue here is that no one with the means to fight it out with them in court has sufficient financial incentive to do so.

Despite my collection of miscellaneous sourcebooks I've never actually gotten to play more than a handful of games of core rules Battletech (unless you count MegaMek games against the computer). I'd love to try to get my fleet action on, but would probably be pretty terrible at it.

Yep from what I remember that is pretty close to the fiasco that is Macross, Robotech and Battletech.

Looking at that link and reading both of your tales I'm glad I didn't venture forth into the Internet as much as I should have when I was younger and single. I would have had even more tons of stuff for me to sort and decide if I want to keep it or sell it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The best stand ins I have for vehicles and infantry are the little plastic pieces from my old old copy of Axis and Allies. VTOLs can be roughed in with the fighters and bombers make passable aerospace fighters.

I think for generic infantry, I've actually got enough (miniature dudes at 1/285 scale are basically all the same, anyway; tiny little blobs of vaguely man-shaped white metal). Battle Armor's a whole other problem; at least I'm swimming in Clan Elementals, I'm just missing anything respective of the IS designs.

Vehicles....well, in BT there's enough weird variety that it actually becomes important (to my OCD) to have the right models. Bulldog, Alacorn, Von Luckner, Shrek.... the list goes on. Same for VTOLs and Aeros, but at least my OCD doesn't seem to care quite as strongly about those. There's just something about tanks....

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Reaper makes infantry and vehicles as part of their CAV line

07015_G.jpg
    07069_G.jpg

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited June 2016

I think for generic infantry, I've actually got enough (miniature dudes at 1/285 scale are basically all the same, anyway; tiny little blobs of vaguely man-shaped white metal). Battle Armor's a whole other problem; at least I'm swimming in Clan Elementals, I'm just missing anything respective of the IS designs.

Vehicles....well, in BT there's enough weird variety that it actually becomes important (to my OCD) to have the right models. Bulldog, Alacorn, Von Luckner, Shrek.... the list goes on. Same for VTOLs and Aeros, but at least my OCD doesn't seem to care quite as strongly about those. There's just something about tanks....

My solution is to just have a cohesive military. Mechs may be rare, but vehicles are a dime a dozen. So the military deploys the same model tanks and VTOLS in an engagement. Just makes it easier. I have to admit, I've never played a round with battle armor. Mostly because I like 3rd succession war stuff.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options

My solution is to just have a cohesive military. Mechs may be rare, but vehicles are a dime a dozen. So the military deploys the same model tanks and VTOLS in an engagement. Just makes it easier. I have to admit, I've never played a round with battle armor. Mostly because I like 3rd succession war stuff.

I love infantry and Battle Armor. Infantry is suuuper squisheeeeeee. But a 28-man SRM platoon, surprise-firing from hiding in a building, can really mess up an enemy unit. And they're dirt cheap.

Imagine a guerrilla war scenario, with an entire town filled with hidden infantry units? Unf, yes. For a BV-balanced scenario of 'Mechs vs. dug-in infantry, I'd take the infantry every time. (Also, you'd probably be up against a Lance of Scout 'Mechs at most, since infantry are so damned cheap. For one LCT-1V you can get almost six SRM infantry platoons.)

Battle Armor is fun because of their utility. Most BA isn't very good out in the open or on its own, but in a combined-arms formation they make a great force multiplier for relatively cheap. With manipulators, Anti-'Mech attacks are legitimately threatening. Last year at Gen Con, I played in a Tukayyid scenario and had control of all the IS defending Battle Armor. Not a single 'Mech to my name, and I had a blast.

• Options
    ProtoMechs 4 lyfe

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    ProtoMechs 4 lyfe

I loooooove ProtoMechs. Love them. My problem is that I've not played many games with them; I'm the only nerd in my social circles to have become attached to anything post-Invasion.

One of my favorite planned miniature groupings is a Smoke Jaguar Star: Timber Wolf, Ebon Jaguar, Dire Wolf, Marauder IIc, and a Point (five units!) of Minotaur ProtoMechs. Delicious.

• Options
    Main topic of the Q&A happening right now on twitch.tv/hyperrpg is MELEE COMBAT!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Anything interesting come out of that?

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Reading up on the official thread; no melee weapons is a bit disappointing, but I guess being able to push mechs off cliffs and kicking flees in the head will make up for it.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    DFA starting up in 15 minutes.
    Sounds like they're testing some new recruits in a simulator battle, so no destruction of mechs today.
    Which is good, because Viking Lass (the wielder of dremel and burner) is one of the recruits.