As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Ah, yeah, thanks for the reply @Diplominator

I was looking back through his DA gallery and saw he did the cover for TRO 3145, so I looked it up on Sarna, saw from the artist list they have an article for him, and read up on him. Kind of feel dumb for not thinking to check that myself earlier.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    It's a hot metal body standing in snow next to the burning hulk of a fallen mech, shouldn't there be steam clouds?

It looks for all the world to me like a guy who can't draw feet. Or, for that matter, steam clouds.
    As for the second point; the AC shells are falling sideways out of the arm, but because the upper body is turned slightly to its right their trajectory puts them a bit behind the mech. The right foot is forward of the body, hence the apparent z-axis difference between its position and where the shells are falling. Seems fine to me?

I don't think so. If you cover up the part of the ground where the shells have landed and extrapolate where they ought to be falling based on the blurring and the overlap, and then cover up the falling shells and mentally map the topography of the hill, the two don't match up.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, you're right. This picture of a scientifically impossible giant robot shooting an improbably large-calibre autocannon that I really liked when I was thirteen just isn't plausible enough, because where the shell casings are landing isn't where it should be in terms of the depth perspective. And it's a real shame he didn't draw the metal box feet, I mean they really tie the whole mech's design together. Just look at these beauties:
    4ptgsar9y4ry.jpg
    It's totally inexcusable for tabletop sci-fi promotional art. :P

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My only Q's are: When is your game out and why can't the answer be today?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

because it's not MWO :P

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

because it's not MWO :P

And for that I thank the FSM ever day

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    So I had a strange thought yesterday; people in real life play historical miniatures wargames based on Ancient Rome, the Napoleonic Wars, even the World Wars.

Does Battletech (the tabletop game) exist in Battletech (the setting)? I mean, it'd be kind of the same thing, wouldn't it?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well the Wizkids take on Battletech I thought was silly and really took the game away from where it was

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I had a strange thought yesterday; people in real life play historical miniatures wargames based on Ancient Rome, the Napoleonic Wars, even the World Wars.

Does Battletech (the tabletop game) exist in Battletech (the setting)? I mean, it'd be kind of the same thing, wouldn't it?

Almost certainly.

Being contemporary it’s probably closer to something like Kriegsspiel than a modern boardgame, but I’m sure it is played by tacticians.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I vaguely recall a passage in one of the books where Grayson Carlyle and somebody else (Morgan Kell I think) playing a tactical simulator match where it was Gettysburg with Battlemechs. That's probably pretty close to what'd be like in that time period.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I was going to say they like ancient battle boardgames like Axis and Allies

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited October 2017
    Hey, so is anyone here planning to go to PAX Unplugged in Philly next month?

Edit: Huh, just looked at the schedule and there's nothing for Battletech. I am disappointed, that's pretty much the only ttg I currently feel like I know well enough to sit down and play without some kind of walkthrough.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited November 2017
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Uh, am I the only one seeing 61 stars on the American Flag in that tweet image? WTF?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

Uh, am I the only one seeing 61 stars on the American Flag in that tweet image? WTF?

I didn't count them, but that does seem like more than the standard number of stars on that flag.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    *Sigh* I finally stole some time from unpacking and setting up the new house, to put together some models. Unfortunately, it just makes me sad at my hobby progress this year.

Anyway, here's some eye candy: a ReSeen Stinger (rocket launcher variant), a Hammerhands, an MWO-model Dragon (thanks @DaMoonRulz !), an Akuma, and a Catapult K2 that I reworked the hips and legs on.

sAcjyJA.jpg

I'm really proud of the Catapult. I shortened the shins, built out the torso so the hips sit beneath it (to torso twist!), and reposed it into a run/walk.
    uegctuG.jpg
    mFJN3N1.jpg
    SGJbswt.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited November 2017
    @Nips According to my dad, my grandfather used to say that whenever you box stuff up to store things or for a move, you should write the date on the box. If you go two years without opening it, you should get someone else to give away/dispose of the stuff so you don't have to look at what's inside and risk getting tempted by nostalgia or hoarding instincts.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    *reaches for the Dragon*

giphy.gif

3basnids3lf9.jpg

*reaches for the Dragon*

giphy.gif

You have a fully painted one! Probably on your desk, right at this moment.

Or a shrine in your basement, where you worship all of your Dragon-shaped idols.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    It's on my bookshelf, with my Metal Draconis Combine dice in front of it, but two is twice as many as one!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I realize this is a few days old but

time mark 7'04"

"Side Torse Destroyed: Pilot Injured"

!!!

edited November 2017
    Tox wrote: »

I realize this is a few days old but

time mark 7'04"

"Side Torse Destroyed: Pilot Injured"

!!!

It's weird, but I feel like I had something like that happen in one of my recordings last week in the Beta. I think it was mixed in with a bunch of other prompts as I blew a side torso off, though, so I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or what the particular cause was.

Nips on
    I'm guessing they decided Guts didn't feel as important as Gunnery, Piloting, and Tactics (all of which affect your to-hit in at least some circumstances).

Guts affects your heat scale though, which seemed pretty important?

camo_sig2-400.png

Looks like a NASA-style crew patch for the first Jumpship's test mission (Deimos Project), with the names of Battletech devs where the astronaut crew names are normally placed.

camo_sig2-400.png
    Oh I didn't see the names, I figured it was a deep cut of Battletech lore

3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited December 2017
    Nips on
    yes yes yes yes yes

Nips wrote: »

Looks purty. I like how much more defined the elevation changes appear.

camo_sig2-400.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I'm guessing the big mech is a 3D printed one and not one that will come with the box(es). They should package the pieces in a few boxes so you can assemble one that big.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited December 2017
    Betsuni wrote: »

I'm guessing the big mech is a 3D printed one and not one that will come with the box(es). They should package the pieces in a few boxes so you can assemble one that big.

What, like "collect the whole line to build your own Thunderbolt"? That's...

Actually something that would totally work with your average mech-nerd.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I figure it works for action figure collectors.

@Nips Send them a Twitter message telling them of my idea! You'll be famous! Or infamous...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I figure it works for action figure collectors.

@Nips Send them a Twitter message telling them of my idea! You'll be famous! Or infamous...

The last thing I need is to give them another reason to sell me things. They got that wellllll covered coming next year.