As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    It looks really good.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @nips So, you gonna be streaming?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Assuming I can get my streaming setup working, and am not entangled otherwise, I'mma get deep in that beta.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

Paradox had another video before that one (not as exciting) with Mike vs. some AI and some QA. Blink and you'll miss the lance going from 4 to 3, though, haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxf5vv9jF8w

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Nips wrote: »

Assuming I can get my streaming setup working, and am not entangled otherwise, I'mma get deep in that beta.

We'll all be streaming :winky:

After watching the live stream, I think that the "status" effects are a great way to take BT forward, and thematically fits the novel fluff.

I think I want to run a Locust spotter, a LRM Catapult, and a couple Griffins.

Tigliss on
    l7n41RV.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    To switch gears here a bit, I got the Mechwarrior starter box a while ago and have been getting the "Paint tiny mans" itch again recently.
    Just curious if they need to be primed, or does the plastic take paint well enough on it's own?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'd prime them, paint adheres better and gives you a solid base for the colors to go over.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    SP skirmish beta keys are going out!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    I just played some!

I'm not very good at it.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I didn't back enough to get into the beta. Guess I'll see you guys on release then!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    First skirmish complete! Two light assault lances - 2x Urbie, Kintaro (sp?) and Hunchback. Plays and looks great so far.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    My god...a pair of JagerMechs on a ridge is...actually a menace at long range.

They're still made of cellophane and forlorn hope up close, though.

@nips Lang has been saying he's not using OBS because it's kinda funky with Battletech right now. Maybe the streaming problems are OBS?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Just finished encoding some gameplay video; I'll post it when it finishes uploading in an hour or so.

Holy shit. My commando got knocked over and a centurion ran over and stomped it to death like a bug :bigfrown:

Also atlas is king of punches, surprising no one.

edited June 2017
    Four more bad guys down.

czVHuiN.png

<3

(Check the sweet, sweet PPC salvage off that Panther.)

EDIT: And lost a round pretty handily. I very much underestimated the effect of the minimum distance penalites for PPCs and LRMs. By the time I figured it out, the opponent's laserboat Hunchback and Commando were up in my Vindicator, Whitworth and Catapault's grills. I got him down to one and a half mechs, but I basically lost that one in the first three rounds.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    https://youtu.be/VZwRtDXGeYA

For those who are in to stomping.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I watched a hour of this since my good friend streamed it via MIXER (formerly beam) with no problem. If anyone has the windows 10 creatives update, streaming is super easy to it, and built right into windows 10.

Also holy dang this game looks gooooood.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I deeply regret that I can only give that one awesome.

Edit: That's in regards to Death By Stomping, not windows 10. Just to clarify.

see317 on
    And now that it's done processing, 25 unedited minutes of gameplay.

https://youtu.be/cBhpUghl_gw

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    ...And now we return to the Annotated Histories of the Mercenary Life, brought to you by ComStar...

The Oosik Irregulars, finding their coffers flush from their completed contracts at the close of the Fourth Succession War, quickly set out to expand both their logistical reach and their military might. Though the expansion to a second company of 'Mechs had been in the plans since their founding, the needs of open warfare necessitated funding for refit and resupply of the 1st Company instead. With their contracts up, and their 'Mechs no longer in constant need of replacement and repair, the Oosiks set out to expand their roster.

The 2nd Company, unlike the 1st Company's well-rounded loadout, was formed to be the "hammer" of the Oosik Irregulars. Fielding a majority of Heavy and Assault-class chassis, with only a single Light 'Mech in its TOE, the 2nd Company's mission statement was "Overwhelming Firepower". Leading the company was the Oosik Irregulars Delta Lance.

Affectionately known as the "Shock and Awe" Lance, Delta was frequently deployed to dense terrain or urban environments where its relatively short-ranged firepower could be brought to bear with the element of surprise. To accentuate this, the lance was camo'd in colors that most would find unorthodox, to outright distracting.

IMG_20170601_163923207.jpg~original
    (More pics over in the Miniature Painting thread)

Leading the lance was @Elvenshae, in his custom Centurion. Outfitted for up-close punch, a trio of Artemis-linked SRM-6's provided the bulk of his 'Mech's firepower. A trio of machine guns and a lone small laser back this up. In an attempt to up-armor his 'Mech and provide the requisite Oosik flair, a series of additional armor plates were added to the left side of the 'Mech. Not only does this make Elvenshae's Centurion instantly recognizable on the battlefield, it succeeded in saving his 'Mech from any number of killshots originating from his left flank.

Following close behind the lead, @SutibunRi's "Laserback" Hunchback provided additional short-range firepower. Eschewing the typical autocannon loadout, SutibunRi's hunch was instead filled with additional Medium Lasers and the heatsinks to match. The introduction of Double Heat Sinks made this loadout particular fearsome, as the 'Mech could sustain full burn with all nine lasers over an extended period of time. In one test firing scenario, the Oosik Irregulars Technician Core discovered that the 'Mech was capable of sustained fire for up to five minutes before the automatic reactor shutdown protocols would engage.

Bringing a heavier load to bear, @Gnome-Interruptus charged into battle with a custom Thunderbolt. Built on a refurbished chassis, and replete with upgrades, Adamski's THUD was a dangerous weapon of war that demanded respect. Outfitted with an array of SRMs and Medium Lasers, the 'Mech also mounted an LB 10-X Autocannon for reach and additional hole-punching firepower. In a twist that most enemy combatants did not expect, the Thunderbolt also mounted a trio of Icarus 81 jump jets "acquired" off the Combine grey market. The addition of these jets frequently provided an element of surprise in tight terrain, with the 'Mech landing behind close-by combatants and leading to deadly results.

In papers revealed to ComStar by inside sources, the pilot known to the Inner Sphere as Padre Ballistique had one request: "Make my 'Mech visible from orbit". Anchoring the lance, @Buttcleft's King Crab was as eye-catching as it was fearsome. Four Imperator Ultra-5 autocannons form the bulk of the 'Mech's firepower, with a pair of torso-mounted SRM-6s for backup. Though of only average speed for a 'Mech in its weight class, the blistering array of missile and ballistic firepower it mounted alongside its incredible armor plating made this 'Mech one of the most dangerous in the Oosik Irregulars arsenal.

Moving forward in history, the Oosiks eventually became embroiled in the defense of the Inner Sphere during the Clan Invasion. Though details from the era are relatively few (paperwork provided by Oosiks HQ, having not been unredacted, was of little use), it is known that Delta Lance would scavenge and back-channel trade for equipment upgrades over the years. To ComStar's understanding, Delta Lance is not only in active deployment to this day, but also fields Clan-grade weapons and equipment. Our investigators have pieced together a snapshot of this tactic, gathered from battlefield intelligence:

Elvenshae's Centurion C upgrades the missiles to Streak-6's, and the backup weapons to a quartet of small lasers.
    SutibunRi's Hunchback C upgrades the damage profile of the 'Mech slightly, at the cost of some range, by trading out the nine IS Medium Lasers for three Clan ER Medium Lasers and six ER Small Lasers. It also adds an ECM suite, to provide electronic warfare coverage to the lance while behind enemy lines.
    Adamski's Thunderbolt C upgrades all of the weapons to Clan tech, swapping the LB 10-X for an Ultra version.
    Padre's King Crab C likewise upgrades all of the weapons to Clan tech, adding an additional pair of SRM-6s and a chin-mount Medium Pulse Laser for additional firepower.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Ran a fun Battletech game today.

Ended with my Awesome 8T kicking the engine out of an Urbanmech.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Ran a fun Battletech game today.

Ended with my Awesome 8T kicking the engine out of an Urbanmech.

I still haven't installed but now I must.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    From the Battletech Forum:

[OOSK] DaMoonRulz

Harebrained Schemes
    BattleTech
    Forums
    Necropolis
    Shadowrun
    HomeForumsBeta Off-Topic
    Contains Official Reply
    The Manual MechLab - Cracking the .JSON Code (And other HBS:BT Modding Shenanigans)
    posted 1 day ago by Sterling

Views: 2,859Posts: 80

Horseman
    posted 8 hours ago
    @Sterling:

@Horseman
    Clarifying query: how are you generating the new TagSetID value?

It's just a type 1 UUID, plenty of ways to generate those (I just used an online generator; the means used isn't really imortant as long as the value is unique).

I believe that you could just use any sequence of characters of matching length and the game would take it; will need to be tested, however.

Rot Wulf
    posted 7 hours ago
    @HBS_Eck:

Messing with the data files and changing how something works should be easy enough for existing items. Adding new game mechanics like an Ultra AC/20 or Thunder munitions for an LRM will take some special skills.
    I love how this is not a 'don't touch that answer' different from any of my previous beta experience.

SadSadeus
    posted 6 hours ago
    you guys are getting me excited with this talk about adding mechs...and my pants feel funny. I'll drop in discord later

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Sunset is awful purty.

BD9eQDK.jpg

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    The Centurion always was one of my favorites. Wonder how it holds up here...

HHgrp1P.jpg

4LrmmWc.jpg

It's alright.

People in the Battletech reddit are screwing around with game files and doing crazy shit, like swapping all of a Jagermech's weapons for gauss rifles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsedF16M4yE&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=3m20s

I dug into the files myself to check some stuff, and they actually made a bunch of minor but very neat changes to the weapons compared to CBT, especially to autocannons (in particular, they all got substantial damage boosts except the 20).

Cross-posting from the GT thread:
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Someone figured out how to add new mechs/variants to the skirmish list, so I added the Enforcer, Blackjack, and King Crab to my rotation.

tk1bKKF.jpg

The Enforcer and Blackjack look great! They seem to be animated properly, and they are both worthy mechs in their own right (the Enforcer particularly).

QvU7TPe.jpg

Now, the King, on the other hand... Something doesn't look quite right. Can't quite put my finger on it.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    People in the Battletech reddit are screwing around with game files and doing crazy shit, like swapping all of a Jagermech's weapons for gauss rifles

Kind of sad it's not a L1 tech-only game. It would be nice to get away from double heat sinks and XL engines.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Orogogus wrote: »
    People in the Battletech reddit are screwing around with game files and doing crazy shit, like swapping all of a Jagermech's weapons for gauss rifles

Kind of sad it's not a L1 tech-only game. It would be nice to get away from double heat sinks and XL engines.

I mean...for now it is that, though. It's only 3025 in game. The idea is that they will eventually introduce that stuff, but...it's probably actually a ways away.

I don't mind XL engines in an IS-only game, because there's opportunity cost. There's a big drawback to the big advantage of XL engines.

Plus this game is putting a legitimate in-game cost mechanic, so it's not like you can just endlessly grind until you can afford an XL. Every mission potentially costs you money, if not time.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    DHS are the real bummer, they really throw the strategic decisions around heat management out the window. But there is no reason HBS has to recreate this failing when they introduce DHS in their own game.

edited June 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    DHS are the real bummer, they really throw the strategic decisions around heat management out the window. But there is no reason HBS has to recreate this failing when they introduce DHS in their own game.

Eh, I don't know I agree with this.

For one, in the current beta, ALL heat sinks get doubled if you're standing in water. Granted, this may change, but still. So it's already pretty easy to find advantages to heat management.

For another, once you allow customizable loadouts, you allow for this part of the game to be removed or at least opted out of. So you won't really have to deal with heat management.

Further, DHS take 3 crits, which means yeah maybe there's no "strategic heat management" game, okay but now there's a "strategic space management" game instead.

Tox on
    edited June 2017
    Tox wrote: »

For one, in the current beta, ALL heat sinks get doubled if you're standing in water. Granted, this may change, but still.

For another, once you allow customizable loadouts, you allow for this part of the game to be removed or at least opted out of.

Further, DHS take 3 crits, which means yeah maybe there's no "strategic heat management" game, okay but now there's a "strategic space management" game instead.

The problem with DHS in tabletop is the doubling of the heatsinks built into the engine for no additional tonnage or crit space, and the couple that don't go in the engine (if you have a small engine) only take up a couple more crits, but still no tonnage. This brings many builds from having to make interesting heat decisions from turn to turn to being able to alpha strike every turn of the game with zero worries. Which, in my opinion, makes for an overall less interesting game.

Also, personal preference but I find decisions made before a battle (mech construction, etc) to be far, far less interesting than decisions made during a battle (heat management, movement, etc).

Inquisitor on
    My problem with screwing with DHS at this juncture is that now too many things have been predicated on their inclusion. I can't think of any LosTech energy weapon I'd want, in the absence of increased dissipation capabilities. IS XLs become an even dicier proposition because it's even harder to get a decisive increase in lethality. So many things have been balanced around DHS that at this point it's simpler to just roll with it.

The fact that MWO didn't, and then had to screw with a bunch of other things, is part of why I stopped playing.

edited June 2017
    Tox wrote: »

For one, in the current beta, ALL heat sinks get doubled if you're standing in water. Granted, this may change, but still.

For another, once you allow customizable loadouts, you allow for this part of the game to be removed or at least opted out of.

The problem with DHS in tabletop is the doubling of the heatsinks built into the engine for no additional tonnage or crit space, and the couple that don't go in the engine (if you have a small engine) only take up a couple more crits, but still no tonnage. This brings many builds from having to make interesting heat decisions from turn to turn to being able to alpha strike every turn of the game with zero worries. Which, in my opinion, makes for an overall less interesting game.

Also, personal preference but I find decisions made before a battle (mech construction, etc) to be far, far less interesting than decisions made during a battle (heat management, movement, etc).

Eh, the balancing act to the DHS is going to be C-bill costs, which are going to be more significant in campaign mode when you can't just stop and grind forever with no opportunity costs. So I assume there'll be a downside.

Also for me, watching videos of this is changing my perspective re: heat. I used to be all about "if you can't alpha every turn without overheat you're wasting your resources!" but the way it's presented in this game actually makes it seems like an interesting tactical choice round-to-round (one that I seems very temperamental about, watching videos where others makes what I view as bad decisions gets me very upset quickly, I find).

Also also decisions made before battle equals designing battlemechs which as always been my favorite part, so it makes sense that we're disagreeing on this :P

Tox on
    The problem with DHS in tabletop is the doubling of the heatsinks built into the engine for no additional tonnage or crit space

This problem is correctable by not doubling the efficiency of engine heatsinks when DHSs are applied to a mech.