As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Case For Reparations [an article by Ta-Nehisi Coates]

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited May 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
So hey, kind of a well-known dude wrote kind of a high-profile article in The Atlantic regarding the state of modern racism and what we should maybe do about it or you know whatevs.

This thread is for talking about that article.

Go!

edit: fixed the link

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    [from the political media thread]
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    I do like how it goes after the whole way we think about "reparations". The title draws people in, but there is almost zero mention of "whitey needs to pay."

I suppose my only criticism is that Coates pointedly avoids any discussion of a solution, beyond the nebulous bits about "America needs to acknowledge its history of discrimination against black people."

"the first step is admitting that you have a problem"

what good would it do to offer a solution when so many refuse to even entertain the notion that something is wrong. first you have to confront them with the issues, show them the extent of the injustice, to a point where, hopefully, they can no longer deny the reality. once you reach that stage, then you can start to discuss possible solutions and their merits.

Disclaimer: I have not yet read the article (though I will at some point), so this might be something Coates addresses, in which case: apologies.

Anyway, I think that many people have difficulty "realizing" (read: admitting) that such a problem exists, specifically because they feel that the answer is going to be presented as "Whitey needs to pay". Similar to how a lot of people have difficulty "realizing" that climate change is a problem because they don't want to have to give up their cushy lifestyle, or how they have difficulty "realizing" that poverty is a problem because they don't want their taxes to increase.

Before you can get a lot of people to sign on with racism as a legitimate problem, I believe you're going to need to come up with a solution that people will find acceptable. Because right now - and I suspect the article's title is not going to help this - people associate "fixing racism" with "I have to personally cut a check to a black guy."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Reparation, noun. The making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged.

Also, wrong link. This is the correct one. Copied and pasted into Word, it comes to a whopping 44 pages (including pictures).

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I think reparations are an important part of a whole package: they represent the admission of fault & the willingness to try and make it right at some expense rather than to dismiss it.

It's easy to contort it into something ugly if you don't bother delivering it alongside a program that really forces down the throats of people why the reparations are owed. Here in Canada, we have an enormous problem with racism against Native Americans; reparations are paid, but the reparation programs are framed by the media & politicians as some benign gift bestowed upon the ungrateful natives - and oh, how they squander our benign gifts!

I think there should be a deep, detailed and very much uncensored part of the school curriculum that spells out the atrocities - both historical & ongoing - of white / European dominance in North America, how it has corrupted our institutes and exactly what horrible damages we owe payment for. Perhaps then people would see 'treaty money' (and other forms of reparation) in a different light.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    I think there should be a deep, detailed and very much uncensored part of the school curriculum that spells out the atrocities - both historical & ongoing - of white / European dominance in North America, how it has corrupted our institutes and exactly what horrible damages we owe payment for. Perhaps then people would see 'treaty money' (and other forms of reparation) in a different light.

this, so much.
    The big problem with the whole '"winner" writes the history' architecture of culture is that what happens during colonialism is celebrated as this great triumphant heroic action, rather than the trampling of another society's way of life. We're not so young that we're completely removed from the effects of colonialism, but it really makes me grit my teeth when fat old white people start bitching about "immigrants takin' over MY COUNTRY" without any trace of irony nor awareness of how inaccurately placed that "MY" is.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

I can guarantee the textbook lobby in Texas will totally be on board with this.

No matter how you look at it, it really does seem like it'll be an uphill battle.

488W936.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Related to the map updating FHA stats, this remains the most eye opening racial disparity map I've ever seen:

strangemapsoverlay1-500x312.jpg

The dots are cotton plantation in I believe 1850, the blue/red is the 2008 presidential vote by county.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    this is -delicious-

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    ElJeffe, regarding the OP, you got the link wrong. Here's the actual article: http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/05/the-case-for-reparations/361631/

What you linked is a... I'm not sure what to call it. An aside? An introduction?

Edit: wow, way beated

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    Reparation, noun. The making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged.

Also, wrong link. This is the correct one. Copied and pasted into Word, it comes to a whopping 44 pages (including pictures).
    That link explains so much of my confusion about the other article and this thread.

On the subject of the long article, I'm only about 20% of the way through, but so far a few things have struck me:
    1: He has yet to demonstrate a national issue (several regional ones yes, but not national). There's something like 80% to go though, so I expect he'll get around to it.
    2:
    The Pew Research Center estimates that white households are worth roughly 20 times as much as black households, and that whereas only 15 percent of whites have zero or negative wealth, more than a third of blacks do.
    Really wish I knew what study that was so I could see if that number is a mean or median. Right now, the mean is horrifically distorted by a handful of spectacularly rich white folk. Of course, what I really want is a fairly substantial description of the actual distribution, but I'll take whatever I can get that has more data than the summary the author presents.
    3:
    Effectively, the black family in America is working without a safety net. When financial calamity strikes—a medical emergency, divorce, job loss—the fall is precipitous.
    This immediately follows the other bit I quoted, and my objections to it aren't related to how true it is (it seems pretty likely), but that it's presented as an issue that is in some way unique to black families. Adding a sentence or two between this statement and the one I quoted above would help that, but the way it is phrased the author is taking an issue that a hell of a lot of folks have, and presenting it as something that predominately affects black people. If there's an argument that such really is the case, I'm all for it, but I've never heard it before.

edit: also, the author could use a helping hand with rearranging his tangents so that he doesn't pick up a thread a page or two after dropping it to wander off into some other point.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Whoopsies! Sorry about the erroneous link in the OP. All fixed now!

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    It is my fondest hope that in 10-20 years this article can be said to have been widely influential.

That and the Picketty book are this year's "I hope this keeps going." (We could probably do a Picketty thread, now that I think about it...)

In any event, I'm still digesting it, but someone in the previous discussion said "The first step is admitting you have a problem." That is I think the absolute spot-on description of what this really is.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Syrdon wrote: »

That link explains so much of my confusion about the other article and this thread.

On the subject of the long article, I'm only about 20% of the way through, but so far a few things have struck me:
    1: He has yet to demonstrate a national issue (several regional ones yes, but not national). There's something like 80% to go though, so I expect he'll get around to it.
    2:
    The Pew Research Center estimates that white households are worth roughly 20 times as much as black households, and that whereas only 15 percent of whites have zero or negative wealth, more than a third of blacks do.
    Really wish I knew what study that was so I could see if that number is a mean or median. Right now, the mean is horrifically distorted by a handful of spectacularly rich white folk. Of course, what I really want is a fairly substantial description of the actual distribution, but I'll take whatever I can get that has more data than the summary the author presents.
    3:
    Effectively, the black family in America is working without a safety net. When financial calamity strikes—a medical emergency, divorce, job loss—the fall is precipitous.
    This immediately follows the other bit I quoted, and my objections to it aren't related to how true it is (it seems pretty likely), but that it's presented as an issue that is in some way unique to black families. Adding a sentence or two between this statement and the one I quoted above would help that, but the way it is phrased the author is taking an issue that a hell of a lot of folks have, and presenting it as something that predominately affects black people. If there's an argument that such really is the case, I'm all for it, but I've never heard it before.

edit: also, the author could use a helping hand with rearranging his tangents so that he doesn't pick up a thread a page or two after dropping it to wander off into some other point.

The point of the lack of financial safety net is that black families have been systematically denied building generational wealth. I've benefitted greatly from little thing like my parents giving me their old car for college and getting to use my sisters apartment when I went to school. Black families are much less likely to have these types of advantages.

• Options
    Three months after Clyde Ross moved into his house, the boiler blew out. This would normally be a homeowner’s responsibility, but in fact, Ross was not really a homeowner. His payments were made to the seller, not the bank. And Ross had not signed a normal mortgage. He’d bought “on contract”: a predatory agreement that combined all the responsibilities of homeownership with all the disadvantages of renting—while offering the benefits of neither. Ross had bought his house for $27,500. The seller, not the previous homeowner but a new kind of middleman, had bought it for only $12,000 six months before selling it to Ross. In a contract sale, the seller kept the deed until the contract was paid in full—and, unlike with a normal mortgage, Ross would acquire no equity in the meantime. If he missed a single payment, he would immediately forfeit his $1,000 down payment, all his monthly payments, and the property itself.

The men who peddled contracts in North Lawndale would sell homes at inflated prices and then evict families who could not pay—taking their down payment and their monthly installments as profit. Then they’d bring in another black family, rinse, and repeat. “He loads them up with payments they can’t meet,” an office secretary told The Chicago Daily News of her boss, the speculator Lou Fushanis, in 1963. “Then he takes the property away from them. He’s sold some of the buildings three or four times.”

I just want to emphasize that this still happens. Not letter-for-letter, not under the same name, but these same scams operate & do big business. They still profit off of the white supremacy that is baked into our culture (go and read through the Donald Sterling thread for just one example of it).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    How I look at this as a "guilty white".

I may not be personally responsible for slavery. I may not have caused direct harm to black people. That, however, is irrelevant. America as a nation perpetrated these crimes. Americans at all levels reaped the benefits of slavery and the continued theft, brutality, and destruction of African American families. As citizens, it is our duty to see that our government acknowledges and attempts to make amends. Even if "squaring the books" is impossible which, given the apparent size of the debt owed, may well be true.

At the very least, we need to face up to the past.

Sticks on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    2:
    Really wish I knew what study that was so I could see if that number is a mean or median.

Median. Here's the Pew article.

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/07/26/wealth-gaps-rise-to-record-highs-between-whites-blacks-hispanics/

2011-wealth-gaps-24.png

2011-wealth-gaps-22.png
    3:

Oh, it's certainly not unique to black families.

However, black families tend to have accumulated significantly less wealth than whites - even at comparable income levels.

And that state of affairs is the result of generations of disenfranchisement.

Home values are a big part - homes in mostly-black neighborhoods are worth less and generate equity more slowly than homes in mostly-white neighborhoods, even after controlling for poverty and crime.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Related to the map updating FHA stats, this remains the most eye opening racial disparity map I've ever seen:

The dots are cotton plantation in I believe 1850, the blue/red is the 2008 presidential vote by county.

As a tangent, the geological explanation for that is fascinating. I mean, in the abstract, it makes perfect sense that prehistoric tectonic shifts -> geological features relevant to agriculture and human settlement -> modern-day political patterns, but seeing such a stark example is kind of mind-blowing.

Feral on

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    edited May 2014

Eh... personally I don't think that map makes assumptions about mobility that aren't fully explicit without this map:
    Ancestery_Map.jpg
    ...which basically fills in the gap saying "Yeah, descendents of emancipated slaves have very low geographic mobility". The fact that African-Americans lean D is a very tangential artefact in terms of racial disparity (especially when you consider the Southern Strategy essentially flipped party roles), and I'm kinda mystified why the authors of the first map decided to go with that correlation.

Edit: To elaborate, two perfectly legitimate conclusions from the information presented in the first map could be "the descendents of slave owners vote D" or "plantations stimulated economic activity, and rich people vote D" - because it doesn't tell you who is voting. There's a hella lot of assumptions in that map.

Edit2: @Syrdon Link to larger versions here.

Archangle on
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    That essay ended really strangely - the penultimate paragraphs had some broad reaching policy discussion, but then the very last thing the essay touches on is an example involving Wells Fargo and then just - full stop? I reloaded the article just to make sure the page didn't fail to load in the last part or something.

I would've liked to have seen Coates present a tangible, by-the-numbers policy position if he was going to go through the trouble of proving (and doing an excellent job, too) the ethical underpinnings for doing so. tl;dr: Who gets what, and how much, and how do they qualify for it? I'm guessing that he didn't (and don't blame him) because researching, drafting, and implementing reparations like this would be nearly impossible, and ultimately arbitrary at some point. I don't envy the legislative interns who are going to draft that up, and the army of conflicting historians, sociologists, psychologists, labor and real property statisticians presenting conflicting information and policy positions on the topic.

The West Germany to Israel example is interesting (although I'd like to see a citation for "Only 5 percent of West Germans surveyed reported feeling guilty about the Holocaust"), but I wonder if the parallels are kind of stretched, given that it's one sovereign nation making reparations to another, and the Israeli government presumably distributing it from there. The reparations he mentions paid by the West German government to specific individual persons are maybe more on-point; I wonder what the process for that looked like.

At the same time, the exposition about the West German reparations - how factions of Israelis didn't want them - I'd imagine we'd see the same thing here. It seems to me a similar criticism as one leveled at Affirmative Action - sure, black people had more access to schools and jobs under it, but "affirmative action hire" is now a running gag (on these boards, even) and doing so has devalued the success of people who benefited from those programs (still a net good, though, but it's one of the reasons I wish it was income-based and not race-based, Coates' argument about white poverty vs. black poverty nonwithstanding.)

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Alright, having finally finished that article, here are my thoughts:
    That guy needs an editor. Badly. He wanders off topic all the time, covers the same ground in basically the same fashion repeatedly, badly mistitled his article and failed to present a case for just about anything that I would say is strong enough (note: that list bit likely says more about what I am willing to accept with regards to argument strength than anything else).

Ignoring the mechanics of the article, his failure to cite sources in some fashion (or at least give me enough that I think the right study will show up in the first 3-4 google results) really undermines a lot of the points he tries to make. On that note, thanks @Feral for the source on the one. He makes a good argument that a large number of individual, nameable people did some fairly reprehensible things. He does not make the case that the nation was aware of those decisions. He specifically mentions a lot of issues related to mortgages, but at no point does he present an argument that anyone outside of the real estate profession and related lending professions knew anything about what was going on.

The thing that really bugs me about this article though? I'm not sure what the author, specifically, would like done. The only actionable thing he mentions is HR 40, and he spends maybe 8 sentences on it at most. I think he made a more concerted effort to quote the bible, and to talk about the DoJ's going after some banks for racially biased loans. He actually presents a pretty good argument for it ... but only by quoting the guy who wrote the bill (who suggests in his quote and on his website that it is not unreasonable to examine how one might, and if one should, pay reparations, particularly in light of the set of other things we commission federal studies for).

Beyond that, most of the article is a glorified list of awful shit people have done. I've got better things to do with my time than read that, particularly since the only national bits he presents are slavery (which I haven't heard anyone say didn't happen) and the mortgage bit (which, I'll admit, I was unaware of). If I want to convince people that we should talk about reparations, he spent 96,000 characters giving me one tiny arrow in that quiver. Which brings me nicely back to how badly this guy needs an editor.

edit: @Archangle is there a larger version of that map anywhere?

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    [from the political media thread]
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    I do like how it goes after the whole way we think about "reparations". The title draws people in, but there is almost zero mention of "whitey needs to pay."

I suppose my only criticism is that Coates pointedly avoids any discussion of a solution, beyond the nebulous bits about "America needs to acknowledge its history of discrimination against black people."

"the first step is admitting that you have a problem"

what good would it do to offer a solution when so many refuse to even entertain the notion that something is wrong. first you have to confront them with the issues, show them the extent of the injustice, to a point where, hopefully, they can no longer deny the reality. once you reach that stage, then you can start to discuss possible solutions and their merits.

Disclaimer: I have not yet read the article (though I will at some point), so this might be something Coates addresses, in which case: apologies.

Anyway, I think that many people have difficulty "realizing" (read: admitting) that such a problem exists, specifically because they feel that the answer is going to be presented as "Whitey needs to pay". Similar to how a lot of people have difficulty "realizing" that climate change is a problem because they don't want to have to give up their cushy lifestyle, or how they have difficulty "realizing" that poverty is a problem because they don't want their taxes to increase.

Before you can get a lot of people to sign on with racism as a legitimate problem, I believe you're going to need to come up with a solution that people will find acceptable. Because right now - and I suspect the article's title is not going to help this - people associate "fixing racism" with "I have to personally cut a check to a black guy."

That's probably part of it, but I think that a lot of the problem is that the whole idea flies in the face of what we're taught about racism early in life. I can't speak for anyone else, but from a very early age I was told that racism was wrong, and that that meant all races should be treated equally. When I learned in middle school about US history, I learned that non-white people used to be treated differently under the law, and that that kind of state-sponsored racism was especially bad. I was taught that people are individuals regardless of their skin color, and that was pretty much the end of it until college.

As an idea, reparations (and affirmative action) are pretty much the exact opposite of all of that. They both rest on the premise that the law should treat people differently based on their race. That all white people can be seen as the same person and that all black people can be seen as the same person, and that the collective white person has an obligation to make the collective black person whole. Right or wrong, that's fundamentally a very different system of values than the one I was taught about race when growing up.

As far as the article, for having so many words it didn't seem to have a lot to say. The only practical policy I saw in there is that we should have Congress commission a study to find out more about reparations. Okay, I guess? I was hoping it would have more to say than that, but I guess that's it? The idea that this bill hasn't made it to the house floor is supposed to represent some existential crisis, but to me it just sounds like business as usual on the house floor. Bills to study people's pet causes get shot down all the time, liberal bills especially since and it's not like there's some huge lack of studies on this particular issue. I found over a dozen just looking around for 5 minutes on Google. What is he thinking that the study will accomplish?

Squidget0 on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    That guy needs an editor. Badly. He wanders off topic all the time, covers the same ground in basically the same fashion repeatedly, badly mistitled his article and failed to present a case for just about anything that I would say is strong enough (note: that list bit likely says more about what I am willing to accept with regards to argument strength than anything else).

Ignoring the mechanics of the article, his failure to cite sources in some fashion (or at least give me enough that I think the right study will show up in the first 3-4 google results) really undermines a lot of the points he tries to make. On that note, thanks @Feral for the source on the one. He makes a good argument that a large number of individual, nameable people did some fairly reprehensible things. He does not make the case that the nation was aware of those decisions. He specifically mentions a lot of issues related to mortgages, but at no point does he present an argument that anyone outside of the real estate profession and related lending professions knew anything about what was going on.

The thing that really bugs me about this article though? I'm not sure what the author, specifically, would like done. The only actionable thing he mentions is HR 40, and he spends maybe 8 sentences on it at most. I think he made a more concerted effort to quote the bible, and to talk about the DoJ's going after some banks for racially biased loans. He actually presents a pretty good argument for it ... but only by quoting the guy who wrote the bill (who suggests in his quote and on his website that it is not unreasonable to examine how one might, and if one should, pay reparations, particularly in light of the set of other things we commission federal studies for).

Beyond that, most of the article is a glorified list of awful shit people have done. I've got better things to do with my time than read that, particularly since the only national bits he presents are slavery (which I haven't heard anyone say didn't happen) and the mortgage bit (which, I'll admit, I was unaware of). If I want to convince people that we should talk about reparations, he spent 96,000 characters giving me one tiny arrow in that quiver. Which brings me nicely back to how badly this guy needs an editor.

He explicitly notes how the federal government (the FHA is a federal agency) was specifically involved in redlining. I don't see how much more involved you need the government to be.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I just want to emphasize that this still happens. Not letter-for-letter, not under the same name, but these same scams operate & do big business. They still profit off of the white supremacy that is baked into our culture (go and read through the Donald Sterling thread for just one example of it).

I can't fathom why, in 2014, in the future, the hammer hasn't come down on these predators. I read about this happening to Jurgis Rudkus in The Jungle for God's sake and that was a book written over a hundred years ago.

• Options
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    That's probably part of it, but I think that a lot of the problem is that the whole idea flies in the face of what we're taught about racism early in life. I can't speak for anyone else, but from a very early age I was told that racism was wrong, and that that meant all races should be treated equally. When I learned in middle school about US history, I learned that non-white people used to be treated differently under the law, and that that kind of state-sponsored racism was especially bad. I was taught that people are individuals regardless of their skin color, and that was pretty much the end of it until college.

As an idea, reparations (and affirmative action) are pretty much the exact opposite of all of that. They both rest on the premise that the law should treat people differently based on their race. That all white people can be seen as the same person and that all black people can be seen as the same person, and that the collective white person has an obligation to make the collective black person whole. Right or wrong, that's fundamentally a very different system of values than the one I was taught about race when growing up.

Yes, the collective white person has an obligation to make the collective back person whole in the US.

This is because in the US, for the past 350 years (and counting), the collective white person has been robbing the collective black person blind.

The point is that "system of values" you were taught as a child is pretty much a lie. Non-white people didn't just used to be treated differently under the law - they still are treated differently under the law. It's just that it's become less explicit - we've gone from "you are property" to "you are clearly defined second class citizens" to "we might say you're equals, but you'll still be treated as lesser where it counts" (which, to be fair, is an improvement.) As I've pointed out in prior threads, trying to say "we're all equal" without resolving those structural inequalities will only entrench them.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    While it can probably be generally agreed that, on average, white people have done better than black people in the US, I've never seen anything even remotely close to actionable when it comes to the subject of reparations. No one in my family history ever owned slaves, at least half of my ancestors didn't even move here until after the civil war, nor am I aware of anyone in my family ever exploiting black people. They were all poor farmers until we became engineers a couple generations ago. What exactly is my bill for this?

Plus, a lot of black Americans have white ancestors. Do mixed-race families have to write a check to themselves? How about recent African-American immigrants who didn't move here until the 1990s?

And it seems like, if we all really wanted to get serious about this business, we'd have to give everything back to the Native Americans and we'd all have to move back to Europe, Africa and Asia.

If we want to improve the state of African Americans, it seems to me there's gotta be a thousand better ways to do it.

• Options

He explicitly notes how the federal government (the FHA is a federal agency) was specifically involved in redlining. I don't see how much more involved you need the government to be.
    How much do you know about what the Federal Government is currently doing? Specifically, how are you on the details of which loans it decides to insure and which it doesn't today? I know that I don't have a damn clue what their policies are and that I'm effectively trusting them not to be too awful. He makes a good case that the folks running the FHA either instituted or allowed the existence of a racist policy, and that at least large portions of the folks working at the agency went along with it. He doesn't make the case that there was any substantial public knowledge of what was going on.

• Options
    If you can read the portion of that article detailing the very real pains & tribulations that followed the German agreement with Israel, and not both choke-up a bit and think to yourself that this might be a worthwhile endeavor, I question your state of mind.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I can't fathom why, in 2014, in the future, the hammer hasn't come down on these predators. I read about this happening to Jurgis Rudkus in The Jungle for God's sake and that was a book written over a hundred years ago.
    Because money was speech well before the Supreme Court made that explicit. At a minimum, money buys you access to lawyers and more of it gets you either better ones or more of them. Money also buys you people who can go and explain your case to whichever government representative has the right jurisdiction, preferably in a manner that doesn't interfere with their schedule (like buying them lunch). I would be surprised to find out that it

As far as the bit on Germany and Israel, it's really easy not to choke up a bit when he's quoting people making sweeping declarations that are patently false. Or when he talks about people using violence in an attempt to prevent them. Or the bit where someone suggests that their only real issue with going to war is logistical. It's even easier to think this might not be worthwhile, given that the author spends more than half his time on the subject discussing just how against them the people getting them were.

Syrdon on
  • Options
    Scooter wrote: »
    And it seems like, if we all really wanted to get serious about this business, we'd have to give everything back to the Native Americans and we'd all have to move back to Europe, Africa and Asia.

If there's anyone we've truly fucked over it's the Native American tribes. Almost 20% of homes on reservations lack refrigeration, a stove, plumbing, or running water. On many reservations less than 30% have a high school education. There's a million people living in Third-world conditions right here in America, and nobody gives a shit.

• Options
    Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    I guess the other problem is that his "case" for reparations doesn't really bring up any of the issues most people have with reparations. When I've heard the subject brought up in the past, I usually hear arguments like "It's impractical" or "It's fundamentally racist" or "Why privilege this historical injustice over all of the others?" I don't ever really hear "Black people didn't actually have it that bad", except from crazy wingnuts or TV personalities trying to make money through outrage. Yet that's the argument he spends the entire article trying to address.

I'll grant that it's much easier to argue in favor of reparations if you pretend that the only valid counterarguments against reparations are some kind of mass-denial of Jim Crow, but I guess I expected better than that from such a hyped up article.

• Options
    While it can probably be generally agreed that, on average, white people have done better than black people in the US, I've never seen anything even remotely close to actionable when it comes to the subject of reparations. No one in my family history ever owned slaves, at least half of my ancestors didn't even move here until after the civil war, nor am I aware of anyone in my family ever exploiting black people. They were all poor farmers until we became engineers a couple generations ago. What exactly is my bill for this?

Plus, a lot of black Americans have white ancestors. Do mixed-race families have to write a check to themselves? How about recent African-American immigrants who didn't move here until the 1990s?

If we want to improve the state of African Americans, it seems to me there's gotta be a thousand better ways to do it.

All of the fundamental components of the culture & society that you have the opportunity to take full advantage are built on top of the raped & pillaged corpses of African Americans. And this is not some distant past - it's something still ongoing, something still fundamental to the culture. You benefit from the inherent racism of the system, whether you want to or not.

Damages are clearly owed, and they are plainly owed from the state that caused the damages in order to foster the creation of the lifestyle you currently enjoy.

With Love and Courage
  • Options

How much do you know about what the Federal Government is currently doing? Specifically, how are you on the details of which loans it decides to insure and which it doesn't today? I know that I don't have a damn clue what their policies are and that I'm effectively trusting them not to be too awful. He makes a good case that the folks running the FHA either instituted or allowed the existence of a racist policy, and that at least large portions of the folks working at the agency went along with it. He doesn't make the case that there was any substantial public knowledge of what was going on.

I trust the government to not be awful as well. But when the government is awful, I pin the blame there. It doesn't matter who was enacting the policy, the fact remains that the government was enforcing a viciously racist policy that benefitted whites at the expense of minorities, especially blacks. Just because I didn't know doesn't mean I should get to keep stolen goods.

• Options
    edited May 2014

All of the fundamental components of the culture & society that you have the opportunity to take full advantage are built on top of the raped & pillaged corpses of African Americans. And this is not some distant past - it's something still ongoing, something still fundamental to the culture. You benefit from the inherent racism of the system, whether you want to or not.

Damages are clearly owed, and they are plainly owed from the state that caused the damages in order to foster the creation of the lifestyle you currently enjoy.
    You still haven't answered his question of who pays and how much. Lets take the case of an immigrant to the US after World War 2. What is their bill, relative to that of someone who can trace their family back to someone who clearly owned slaves? Is it the same amount, is it less, is it more?

I trust the government to not be awful as well. But when the government is awful, I pin the blame there. It doesn't matter who was enacting the policy, the fact remains that the government was enforcing a viciously racist policy that benefitted whites at the expense of minorities, especially blacks. Just because I didn't know doesn't mean I should get to keep stolen goods.
    But the government doesn't pay. Taxpayers do. Are you going to fine them for, effectively, not knowing enough about what their government is doing to be able to attempt to change it?

Syrdon on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    double post

Syrdon on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    How much is owed and to whom?

And can we also add Amerindians to the deal?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I am really not at all sympathetic to criticisms of the vein, "But he didn't suggest a solution."

Expecting everybody who describes a problem of great magnitude to be able to policycraft a solution is not reasonable; in particular, Coates is a journalist and a historian, not a policy wonk or an economist. I may know a problem exists but not know the best way to fix it; that doesn't mean I shouldn't draw attention to the problem.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He's not focused on money. What the title is calling reparations could probably be better described as a Truth and Reconciliation Committee, South Africa style. He thinks progress can't be made until the injustices against black people aren't reduced merely to Jim Crow and slavery, as is the case in traditional, mainstream American history education. Because that's the only way to recognize and change the current injustices.

In his view, a pure money transfer wouldn't work because the systemic racism remaining in the system would just take it all back within a few generations. Which I'm not entirely sure I agree with, but there's a reasonable case to be made for it. Especially when the studies about racial impacts of the Great Recession start appearing with more and more frequency.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

About 2500 dollars yearly, paid to any particular black person you want.

So wait... did you read the article?

I mean, fuck whatever everybody's ancestors did. The point is not to establish who exactly did what and for you to pay back what your grandfather owed my grandfather and vice versa. We already moved past that. That is so hard not even the issue. It's not a thing any more. You're not responsible for the debt of your brother like that.

The point is that society owes. The fact that your family only got to benefit from the many advantages given to white people over black people and not directly from slavery is besides the point. Society can not be boiled down to individual pieces that then somehow lose all connection to the structure of society.

• Options

You still haven't answered his question of who pays and how much. Lets take the case of an immigrant to the US after World War 2. What is their bill, relative to that of someone who can trace their family back to someone who clearly owned slaves? Is it the same amount, is it less, is it more?

But the government doesn't pay. Taxpayers do. Are you going to fine them for, effectively, not knowing enough about what their government is doing to be able to attempt to change it?

Coates:
    Broach the topic of reparations today and a barrage of questions inevitably follows: Who will be paid? How much will they be paid? Who will pay? But if the practicalities, not the justice, of reparations are the true sticking point, there has for some time been the beginnings of a solution. For the past 25 years, Congressman John Conyers Jr., who represents the Detroit area, has marked every session of Congress by introducing a bill calling for a congressional study of slavery and its lingering effects as well as recommendations for “appropriate remedies.”

A country curious about how reparations might actually work has an easy solution in Conyers’s bill, now called HR 40, the Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act. We would support this bill, submit the question to study, and then assess the possible solutions. But we are not interested.

He repeatedly mentions HR 40 throughout the article - a bill that is implicitly about finding those answers, and a bill that for some odd reason has never been passed.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    I haven't delved into detail about HR 40 (I was only vaguely aware of it until now) but it passes a smell test to me. HR 40 doesn't call for an immediate remedy; rather that the problem be officially acknowledged and studied. I'm all for that.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    My take on the abrupt end to the article: it gives a sense that the injustice against African Americans is on going.

There is no conclusion to the case for reparations, the case grows with every passing day.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".