As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superhero Movies] Scott Derrickson says something STRANGE is afoot! (p.56)

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    the second guardians of the galaxy should be about quasar, moondragon, jack flag, adam warlock, mantis and cosmo

none of the characters from the first movie should have more than a brief cameo

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    the second guardians of the galaxy should be about quasar, moondragon, jack flag, adam warlock, mantis and cosmo

But Cosmo and Rocket constantly getting pissed off at each other is the best.

You can't just throw half of that equation away.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I wanted to give F4 the benefit of the doubt because I really liked Josh Trank's work on Chronicle

This quote from the writer though pretty much sealed the deal against it for me though
    “The energy on set is great. Josh Trank is fantastic on set. Really in command, really clear, and the thing that is most unique or defining about the new Fantastic Four is the tone. We’re approaching it in a much more realistic, grounded, science rather than science-fiction way. The playfulness or goofiness of those other movies is very, very different from what we’re trying to do, and that is true for the production design, the casting, the storytelling. But you never know until you get on set how it’s all gonna start to feel, and just seeing those actors and seeing Josh, the way he’s articulating the tone and the way the actors are executing it gives me a lot of confidence that we’ll actually be able to make a cool Fantastic Four movie.”

My response

• Options
    is cosmo actually showing up in this one or was that funny animal overload

• Options

I cannot accept a Knowhere that doesn't have Cosmo as head of security.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I never understood the "dismissive wanking" gesture

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2014
    -Tal wrote: »
    I never understood the "dismissive wanking" gesture

You're basically saying the person is a jerkoff who enjoys verbal masturbation.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

James Gunn has hinted that he might. I'm expecting an appearance with maybe a couple lines of dialogue at most.

• Options
    it means that somebody is a wanker

what's not to understand

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I wanted to give F4 the benefit of the doubt because I really liked Josh Trank's work on Chronicle

This quote from the writer though pretty much sealed the deal against it for me though
    “The energy on set is great. Josh Trank is fantastic on set. Really in command, really clear, and the thing that is most unique or defining about the new Fantastic Four is the tone. We’re approaching it in a much more realistic, grounded, science rather than science-fiction way. The playfulness or goofiness of those other movies is very, very different from what we’re trying to do, and that is true for the production design, the casting, the storytelling. But you never know until you get on set how it’s all gonna start to feel, and just seeing those actors and seeing Josh, the way he’s articulating the tone and the way the actors are executing it gives me a lot of confidence that we’ll actually be able to make a cool Fantastic Four movie.”

My response

Sigh, why can I never find a clip when I need one " Insert Louis CK bit about the Jerk Off hand motion here"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited May 2014

My response

Sigh, why can I never find a clip when I need one " Insert Louis CK bit about the Jerk Off hand motion here"

As amusing as it is, and as stupid as human reactions are, my retort is simply this: We'd be here all fucking day waiting for my invisible dick to climax if it were true. (Hooray for big pharma!)

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

I mean I'd dig it if some of those dudes and ladies and dog showed up

but naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    guardians of the galaxy is about a lovable rogue, a hot girl, a tough guy and two funny sidekicks

about the only risk they're taking with that movie is that only one of the sidekicks is a talking animal, the other one is a plant

i mean i'll still go and see it

Lovable Rogue = Rocket
    Hot Girl = Gamora
    Tough Guy = Groot
    Two Funny Sidekicks = I can see Starlord but I don't think anyone thinks of Drax as funny

:p

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I love how Star-Lord refers to Drax as a "Maniac"

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Quicksilver was so dope

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Wonder Woman now just uses "enhanced interrogation" to find the truth.

You forgot the accompanying picture.

MQeo7Cr.jpg

There you are. You're welcome.

• Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    It still boggles my mind that studios want to emulate Marvel's success, but STILL don't realise that what makes them great is not being afraid to make your comic book movies be comic booky as FUCK, and embrace all the weirdness, instead of forcing these weird and wonderful concepts to be 'grounded', and 'real' and 'gritty'.

I do not want a 'grounded' Fantastic Four movie. 'Grounded' is really the last thing a Fantastic Four movie should be.

Mind you, having said that it occurs to me that the movie closest to the tone of the MCU so far is probably ASM2, and that isn't performing as well as it should by that logic, so maybe it isn't that simple.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The second half of May feels very crowded and I wonder whether that will impact the box office performance of X-Men and Godzilla

Over here, Maleficent and Edge of Tomorrow open next week (Oblivion had a really strong performance outside the US)

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Mattitude wrote: »
    It still boggles my mind that studios want to emulate Marvel's success, but STILL don't realise that what makes them great is not being afraid to make your comic book movies be comic booky as FUCK, and embrace all the weirdness, instead of forcing these weird and wonderful concepts to be 'grounded', and 'real' and 'gritty'.

I do not want a 'grounded' Fantastic Four movie. 'Grounded' is really the last thing a Fantastic Four movie should be.

Mind you, having said that it occurs to me that the movie closest to the tone of the MCU so far is probably ASM2, and that isn't performing as well as it should by that logic, so maybe it isn't that simple.

ASM2 is bad mostly for reasons that nobody involved seems to know how a story is constructed.

FF just seems like they're ashamed of the source material which makes you wonder why this exists at all.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Whose bright idea was it to make a less-scifi/less goofy/more grounded movie out of a superhero team called the Fantastic Four?

This would be like taking Godzilla and changing him into a weird iguana creature who doesn't breathe fire and gets killed by rockets

Oh wait

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    You guys I just heard about the Edgar Wright thing

WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK! This was...man...hes one of my favorite directors and....Why fucking why?

Marvel please don't start being shitty now please I beg you
    You're acting like this is the first time Marvel has reconsidered directors for one of their movies.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Thor 2 switched directors a couple of times

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    marvel knows what they're doing

they'll show an ant man teaser at comic con and it'll be fine

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Ok yeah, Days of Future Past was pretty dang great. That was a really nice surprise.

In a way, I kind of dug the fact that
    outside of a few of the minor scuffles, Logan was pretty neutered in this movie.

• Options
    After seeing DOFP, my housemate and I are firmly of the belief that Wolverine always works better as part of an ensemble, which is something I've felt about the comics for years.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

James Gunn has hinted that he might. I'm expecting an appearance with maybe a couple lines of dialogue at most.

hinted, tweeted a picture of a dog's space suit...

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Is Fantastic Four actually shooting yet?

Because I think June is the deadline for something tangible to happen with that movie before they lose rights.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    It would appear so, going by the quote from the writer posted a couple of pages ago.

Edit: Found it

Mattitude on

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    The split between Marvel and Wright must have been pretty amicable or understandable or else I dont see Whedon tweeting that picture.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I never bothered to watch x3 or first class, is there anything especially important to know from those before dofp?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    FF just seems like they're ashamed of the source material which makes you wonder why this exists at all.

Because otherwise the rights would revert to Marvel.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I never bothered to watch x3 or first class, is there anything especially important to know from those before dofp?

I'd watch First Class if you can. A huge part of DoFP is the relationship between Erik and Charles, and it's an extension of that same relationship from FC.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    The split between Marvel and Wright must have been pretty amicable or understandable or else I dont see Whedon tweeting that picture.

From what was said in D&D, Wright is a perfectionist and Marvel is kinda on a timetable and don't really have time to wait for Wright to make sure everything is perfect when it's a bug tie-in to the MCU.

I can only hope the script is still Wright heavy.

And I'm gonna leave that typo.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

I'd watch First Class if you can. A huge part of DoFP is the relationship between Erik and Charles, and it's an extension of that same relationship from FC.

Yeah this. The movie kind of assumes you've seen at least one of the original trilogy (doesn't really matter which one), and that you've seen First Class. As long as you've got those two bases covered, you should be alright.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't know if I can ever forgive the people behind x3 for casting the best possible actress for kitty pryde and then putting her in that movie

• Options
    I think the X-Men franchise has a bad habit of wasting both good actors and good characters. Kitty Pryde/Ellen Page is an example of them doing both at the same time.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    BnigRqyIEAAZeM8.jpg

This discussion has been closed.