As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    I had tonkatsu this weekend, it was super good.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Inx wrote: »
    Think we'll ever see Kachidoki again outside of the Kiwami transformation sequence? I'll miss that suit, it's awesome looking.

Well the show's been good when it comes to still using the presumably-weaker Arms. Especially Gaim who still goes about in his basic form even after scoring his mid-season upgrades and Kachidoki. Plus remember that Kachidoki's got more physical power then Kiwami so that can still come in handy.
    The fact that Kachidoki (to use MMORPG terms) tanked a blast from a Helheim-fruit-charged Deemushu with not even a grunt from Kota shows how strong it can be. The only reasons why he lost in the previous episode while using it was due to the physical toil he took from fighting Zangetsu-Shin, Sigurd, Deemushu, Marika and the Kurokage Troopers in that order in such a short time. Any Rider with a super-mode would still drop after getting knocked around and fighting so many folks at one time.

• Options
    Owenashi wrote: »

Well the show's been good when it comes to still using the presumably-weaker Arms. Especially Gaim who still goes about in his basic form even after scoring his mid-season upgrades and Kachidoki. Plus remember that Kachidoki's got more physical power then Kiwami so that can still come in handy.
    The fact that Kachidoki (to use MMORPG terms) tanked a blast from a Helheim-fruit-charged Deemushu with not even a grunt from Kota shows how strong it can be. The only reasons why he lost in the previous episode while using it was due to the physical toil he took from fighting Zangetsu-Shin, Sigurd, Deemushu, Marika and the Kurokage Troopers in that order in such a short time. Any Rider with a super-mode would still drop after getting knocked around and fighting so many folks at one time.

That's kind of where my concern comes in though. Kouta has a habit of sticking to his base form and Jinba forms, eschewing the use of Kachidoki in all but the most critical fights. Now that he has Kiwami, which might not be as beefy but is clearly immensely powerful in its own way, my concern is that Kachidoki will end up forgotten, with Kouta still relying primarily on his base and Jinba arms, and then using Kiwami when the chips are down.

I'd be willing to bet that if this DOES happen, it's because of a problem with the Kachidoki suit - either its too heavy or it keeps breaking or something. Those issues have driven these sorts of things in the past.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You guys this thread has been around for a while and I know what it's actually about and all but I STILL want it to be about tonkatsu

I keep going oh the pork cutlet thread

So... pork cutlet anyone?

Sure, thanks.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about Tokusatsu but I found an old Zeo morpher toy in some box in my closet.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Goddamn, that latest Gaim episode.

So many great moments.

Yggdrasil troops patrolling the city

Yggdrasil base getting messed up, Ryouma going "I'm out!"

All those Inves following Micchy and his new buddy

Sagara Kyubey'ing it up with Kouta

Durian and Acorn! (Acorn's still a shit)

FRUITS BASKET

Is there a translation yet for all the Overlord speak?

• Options
    Some people have figured out a translation for the Overlord language though you usually have to find forum-posts about it whenever it shows up in an episode as no one's compiled it into one big list yet. On the topic of Gaim, I like how they got some of the actors to promote the merchandise based on their characters AS their characters. For example, this recently-released video has Zack and Peco from Team Baron promoting the Walnut Lockseed and the action figure for Kamen Rider Knuckle as well as a new Lockseed showing up in the upcoming movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTc81sBIBLc

And then you have this earlier one with Oren promoting Kamen Rider Bravo merchandise as well as another Rider's Lockseed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v6RFHXjMq0w

• Options
    Zack is totally awesome. The best bro of Team Baron.

I would have given Kaito that title if it wasn't for his continued insistence on being both a tsundere and chuniibyou.

(been playing a lot of Steins;Gate)

• Options
    Gaim prediction:
    Mai ends up the Overlord Ruler, goes back in time to set the events of the series.

But maybe that's too obvious.

• Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Gaim prediction:
    Mai ends up the Overlord Ruler, goes back in time to set the events of the series.

But maybe that's too obvious.
    I'm guessing it will be Kaito, proving his love for Kouta and giving up his humanity to keep the forest at bay.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    CubeWatermelonCubeWatermelon Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Some people have figured out a translation for the Overlord language though you usually have to find forum-posts about it whenever it shows up in an episode as no one's compiled it into one big list yet. On the topic of Gaim, I like how they got some of the actors to promote the merchandise based on their characters AS their characters. For example, this recently-released video has Zack and Peco from Team Baron promoting the Walnut Lockseed and the action figure for Kamen Rider Knuckle as well as a new Lockseed showing up in the upcoming movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTc81sBIBLc

And then you have this earlier one with Oren promoting Kamen Rider Bravo merchandise as well as another Rider's Lockseed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v6RFHXjMq0w

Goddamn I love Oren so much. I love his stupid proper speech and the fact that he tells people how they've been pronouncing Bravo wrong.
    I'm not sure Walnut was entirely necessary as a character yet, but he sure is adorable D:

I finished Fourze by the way, and it is absolutely fabulous despite Yuki's general existence. I highly recommend it if you have the power of FRIENDSHIP in your HEART. It's so rare for the main character to be the most interesting guy in a Shounen series, but Gentarou is absolutely the best.

Next up for me is Double/W, since my favorite 40-year-old coworker highly recommends it.

CubeWatermelon on
  • Options
    I finished Fourze by the way, and it is absolutely fabulous despite Yuki's general existence.

I like Yuki but I get why she gets some hate. For some reason, the writers flanderized her too far to the point of Pinkie-Pie-ism.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    thought the title said tonkatsu
    I could go for some

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    thought the title said tonkatsu
    I could go for some

Yeah I know where I am going for dinner tomorrow now
    935B6BE4-368D-42AF-A3D6-B9EE3BCF882A-3819-00000B67C11B3E58_zpsc51806c2.jpg~original

• Options
    I finished Fourze by the way, and it is absolutely fabulous despite Yuki's general existence.

I like Yuki but I get why she gets some hate. For some reason, the writers flanderized her too far to the point of Pinkie-Pie-ism.

I was absolutely able to forgive her character until that episode where she almost failed the test about space. Space was her ONE THING and apparently she doesn't actually know shit about it!?
    (Which of course made Aquarius my hero, since she was a smart gal from America who hated Yuki immediately.)

But of course that's the weird thing about shows; you never know when a particular episode/plot point was written by some random writer, thus changing the whole character as a result.
    I'm drunk and PASSIONATE ABOUT TOKUSATSU!

Tonkatsu is also pretty great! But not as great as TonkOtsu ramen, which is one of my favorite foods over here. If you ever get to Japan, be sure to shovel some pork bone ramen in you facehole.

• Options
    But of course that's the weird thing about shows; you never know when a particular episode/plot point was written by some random writer, thus changing the whole character as a result.

Which is probably what contributes to Gaim's quality as it has the exact same writer for pretty much every episode, with other writers only coming on as an assist now and then.

• Options
    All my favorite writers seems to have big micromanaging "issues". God bless you, Urobuchi.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Double is also pretty good about continuity. The storyline stays consistent through the show, movies and crossover movies. I believe one main writer/director was in charge of everything. OOOs was the exact opposite, with all the movies contradicting each other, because the head person that year said it was 'just for kids' and they wouldn't notice the changes or care.

Let's not even get started on the mess that Decade wound up in, especially when you add in Den-O.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Ziggy and Doctor K are adorable.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    OOO's summer movie was ok continuity-wise though there are a couple of plot-holes. I heard OOO's part in the second Movie Wars though had serious continuity issues.

• Options
    Yggdrasil Tower?

Really, you guys?

• Options
    I fail to see the problem.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Yggdrasil Tower?

Really, you guys?

Japan loooooves its foreign religious symbolism.

• Options
    Man, I hate to see your reaction once you learn
    where the fruit originated from

• Options
    If the city I lived in built a Yggdrasil Tower I would be moving very shortly after.

• Options
    Well in this case, its called Yggdrasil Tower because a corporation called Yggdrasil owns it. Sort of like how Stark Tower is named after the guy who owns the joint.

Corporations pick tacky names sometimes.

• Options
    Yeah, but this isn't like naming a building after yourself, it's like building a city and then calling it Gomorrah, or building a ship and naming it Titanic 2. The ambiguously evil (at this point) corporation knew what it was doing.

• Options
    Still a better name than Smart Brain

or ANY of the villain organizations from the 70s. I mean, Stronger fought a group called BLACK SATAN. Only metal bands can get away with that kind of thing.

• Options
    I like how Yggdrasil is portrayed. I mean, the worst thing it does is bulldoze an old town to make Zawame, leaving some of the residents like Kaito upset over the loss of their town for some shiny new city.
    Then ooops, it turns out they purposefully let immature teens get their hands on monster-summoning devices and then super-suit-granting belts just so they can hide the fact that the end of the world is coming and that they'll have to kill off 6/7ths of the world's population since they only have enough resources to save the 1/7th. And even then they don't come off as mustache-twirling evil but just desperate to save as much of humanity as they can. It's just they have some freaking psychos as part of the higher-tier management that throws a wrench into the whole plan.

• Options
    Gaim spoilers regarding the last couple episodes (cant remember which episode)
    I was NOT expecting Sid to die the way he did. That was pretty goddamn brutal.

• Options
    Yeah.
    Probably one of the nastiest deaths in a Kamen Rider series even if they did pan up before the walls closed up on him.

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Urobuthcer gotta Urobutch.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    oh hey cool, a karate bugmen thread, I didn't know we had these here
    Yeah.
    Probably one of the nastiest deaths in a Kamen Rider series even if they did pan up before the walls closed up on him.

I think it was more brutal just because you didn't expect it
    up to that point, no one really died, so Sid getting straight up killed was more of a shock, but not really nasty

I think it was Agito where some dude's body is found smashed into a tree, and you see like a couple legs sticking out, that's always stuck in my mind
    and there was another monster that would drop people out of the sky

and then in Faiz, watching people's hearts burst into flames and then their body crumbling to dust was always pretty brutal

I just recently started watching Ryuki and it's pretty rad, Zolda best character in the game

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    oh hey cool, a karate bugmen thread, I didn't know we had these here
    Yeah.

I think it was more brutal just because you didn't expect it
    up to that point, no one really died, so Sid getting straight up killed was more of a shock, but not really nasty

I think it was Agito where some dude's body is found smashed into a tree, and you see like a couple legs sticking out, that's always stuck in my mind
    and there was another monster that would drop people out of the sky

and then in Faiz, watching people's hearts burst into flames and then their body crumbling to dust was always pretty brutal

I just recently started watching Ryuki and it's pretty rad, Zolda best character in the game

About Gaim:
    Actually, he's not the first death or Rider death in the series for that matter. In fact, he was the one that killed said Rider so it's karmic that he's not only the next one but he dies to a Inves as that's what the Rider he killed had become.

As for Ryuki, it's cool you like it so far but...
    ...hope you don't mind reset buttons.

EDIT: Well this is interesting. Gen Urobuchi's making an appearance here in America for an anime expo in Los Angeles next month. Anyone here capable of going?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    oh yeah, I totally forgot about that death, that one didn't really have any impact on me

still enjoying Ryuki, but one thing I just realized that's a bit baffling is each Rider has their own spirit animal, and not a single one is a bug

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Haha I've been talking with my kids about the last few Gaim eps, and when I mention
    Sid's fate
    we just nod knowingly. What a way to go. I'll miss his jackass face.
    EDIT: Well this is interesting. Gen Urobuchi's making an appearance here in America for an anime expo in Los Angeles next month. Anyone here capable of going?
    Man as soon as I leave the states they make a dang PAX in my home state and Gen Urobuchi comes to visit? THIS IS CRAP I SAY.

Also I started watching ToQger, and while it's clearly for children, it's so ridiculous that I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
    I've been thinking a lot about the kind of creativity it takes to actually make a good show that's accessible to children. I have a lot more respect for it than I used to. There's some actual really clever ideas in there!

CubeWatermelon on
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I shouldn't get my hopes up that Urobuchi will announce a continuation of a certain something while at the Expo.

But if someone tells me that it's wrong to hope, then I'll tell them they're wrong every time.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I shouldn't get my hopes up that Urobuchi will announce a continuation of a certain something while at the Expo.

But if someone tells me that it's wrong to hope, then I'll tell them they're wrong every time.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment!

Also, I've downloaded all the Gaim eps; I'm at episode 21 right now.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Elaro wrote: »
    Also, I've downloaded all the Gaim eps; I'm at episode 21 right now.

Think you'll love the next two episodes. :)

And Cube, have you seen the Gaim/ToQger crossover special yet? Curious if you or your kids knew who the special guest-star from the first half was.

EDIT: Saw the preview for the next episode of Gaim. Best shot from it?
    Gridon priming what looks to be a Suika (Watermelon) Lockseed. Looks like Acorn's going large and in charge for a fight!

Owenashi on
  • Options
    estrada42estrada42 Registered User regular
    I love Fourze. Has one of the best opening themes for a Rider series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg02UhvjeiQ

I love that song, and series but for I had never seen the band perform it. It took me a minute to realize that the lead singer was not this guy.

ooo-37-ankh.jpg

This discussion has been closed.