As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tokusatsu] Invisible Ghosts & Colorfuly Loud Ninjas (Kamen Rider Gemn Sequel!)

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Inx wrote: »
    This week's episode
    I felt that the first half kinda fell flat. The battle between Kouta and Micchy wasn't as climactic as I'd hoped, and it ends with the Hell Fruit seed getting destroyed? And it wasn't even because MIcchy lost the fight, but because Kouta sacrificed himself (of course not REALLY) to save Micchy, after the little shit has been nothing but evil for half the show.

So we get a new suit, which they hyped up to be pretty badass, but which saw less total screentime than your average movie suit. And then Micchy gets forgiven. I'm pretty much livid at the way that was handled.

But the second half of the episode was pretty solid. We have Ryouma being Ryouma, doing some science, we have a classic time travel paradox, and then we have Kaito's Overlord form. I'm not sure I love the design, but they did a solid job of showing the jump in power he received.

The preview for next episode seems to have Kaito trying to take over the world or something, which feels a bit out of character, but previews can be misleading.

All in all, I'd say this was probably the weakest episode of Gaim to date, but it had some notable moments that made it worthwhile.
    The way it was handled made a lot of sense to me

Kouta is stubborn in his convictions and never gives up on his friends. Sacrificing himself to save Micchy is definitely something he would do.
    Micchy was "forgiven" in a way, but if you wanted Micchy to get his comeuppance, I don't know if it could get worse than what he got. He didn't get the death he wanted and instead his friend "died" for him, and then he fails to save the girl that he's been a shithead for the whole time.
    Ryoma is always plotting and scheming and using people to his own ends. The Hell Fruit was just a ploy to get rid of Micchy and hopefully in the process get rid of Kouta. We as the audience fell for the ploy also, thinking it was going to be an epic form.

Kaito is doing what Kaito does, he's obsessed with the power of strength

I find it surprising out of the whole show you would consider this episode the weakest
    This week on Puella Psycho Rider Gaim on the Verdurous Planet Zero.
    Butcher, come on....

I know you love to put your characters through the ringer. It's the reason I love your shows so much.

But you have to give me some kind of hope here. I mean, geez.

Mai attains the power of a God, but is unable to even speak the words she wants to warn her friends not to tread down the path that will destroy them....

And after Kouta gives Micchy the "I still forgive you" speech, only for Micchy to come back and lose the only thing that mattered in his life, the only thing that he felt could absolve him of his sins...

Shit's cold, man.

This was supposed to be a fruit show for kids.

You monster.

Ryuki spoilers
    This episode reminded me Ryuki quite a bit

The girl with magic powers trying to save the heroes

Ineffectual time travel

Main Rider "dies"

And of course the more Rider vs Rider theme and Mirrorworld / Helheim has always been there

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • InxInx Registered User regular
    This week's episode
    I felt that the first half kinda fell flat. The battle between Kouta and Micchy wasn't as climactic as I'd hoped, and it ends with the Hell Fruit seed getting destroyed? And it wasn't even because MIcchy lost the fight, but because Kouta sacrificed himself (of course not REALLY) to save Micchy, after the little shit has been nothing but evil for half the show.

So we get a new suit, which they hyped up to be pretty badass, but which saw less total screentime than your average movie suit. And then Micchy gets forgiven. I'm pretty much livid at the way that was handled.

But the second half of the episode was pretty solid. We have Ryouma being Ryouma, doing some science, we have a classic time travel paradox, and then we have Kaito's Overlord form. I'm not sure I love the design, but they did a solid job of showing the jump in power he received.

The preview for next episode seems to have Kaito trying to take over the world or something, which feels a bit out of character, but previews can be misleading.

All in all, I'd say this was probably the weakest episode of Gaim to date, but it had some notable moments that made it worthwhile.

Kouta is stubborn in his convictions and never gives up on his friends. Sacrificing himself to save Micchy is definitely something he would do.
    Micchy was "forgiven" in a way, but if you wanted Micchy to get his comeuppance, I don't know if it could get worse than what he got. He didn't get the death he wanted and instead his friend "died" for him, and then he fails to save the girl that he's been a shithead for the whole time.
    Ryoma is always plotting and scheming and using people to his own ends. The Hell Fruit was just a ploy to get rid of Micchy and hopefully in the process get rid of Kouta. We as the audience fell for the ploy also, thinking it was going to be an epic form.

I find it surprising out of the whole show you would consider this episode the weakest

I guess it just felt like they were building Micchy up to be a major player for the big prize, and he ended up jobbing completely in his "final form". I knew Ryoma wasn't going to be a major player because of his rivalry with Kaito - he was Kaito's villain more than anything else by the end.

I'm not sure I agree with the while "we are the viewers fell for the ploy" bit because it wasn't just the writing saying "This Lockseed is powerful and significant", it was the advertising. There is a preorder for an exclusive Lockseed and Faceplate up on Yokatta right now. And maybe you're right, it was all a ploy to make me thing Hell Fruit was a big deal, but all it accomplished was making me feel lied to, which I don't appreciate as a consumer.

Honestly, I don't even mind Kouta being as bullheaded as he's always been. It just felt very sudden for Micchy to start putting any value in Kouta's opinion when for ten episodes or more he's basically been saying "Kouta is a big dumbhead and I hope he gets AIDS".

I think it would only take one or two very minor changes to have changed my opinion - for example, Micchy being able to fight competently in Hell Fruit form rather than going into convulsions every few seconds. They could have shown the "drains your life force" in a number of other ways that would have made that fight much more interesting to watch.

I am glad that Micchy has essentially lost everything, but again I guess it just feels really sudden.

I have ZERO issues with the Kaito parts of the episode. That shit was great.

Also regarding the Ryuki connection, I see some of it but we all know Kouta isn't really dead just based on the preview for next week. If it weren't for Ren's wish in Ryuki, Shinji would be really-real-world-ain't-no-comin-back dead. Also no weird bug monsters flyin around but thats just nitpicky.

I'd like to clarify that in no way does this episode color my opinion of the rest of the show. I'll be recommending it to friends and I won't be pawning my Sengoku driver, I might even preorder that Hell Fruit lockseed because the transformation sequence was truly awesome, but I feel like this episode was a bit...underripe.

-sunglasses-

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    This week's episode

Also regarding the Ryuki connection, I see some of it but we all know Kouta isn't really dead just based on the preview for next week. If it weren't for Ren's wish in Ryuki, Shinji would be really-real-world-ain't-no-comin-back dead. Also no weird bug monsters flyin around but thats just nitpicky.
    Well if I remember correctly, Ren's wish only revived his girlfriend, Shinji (and everyone else) stayed dead until magical girl Yui rewinded time to do it again in an attempt to change the outcome... kind of like what Mai tried to do. But if you watch the preview, you'll see the shots with Kouta are all hazy white, indicating those shots aren't in the living world. What it looks like to me is Kouta is really-real-world-ain't-no-comin-back dead also, but Mai is going to use her wish/power to bring him back... kind of like what Roshuo was going to do to bring his queen back, but instead he tried to save the Forbidden Fruit and use human energy/souls.

I just thought the similarities were interesting, I don't know if they're all intentional.

And hey, there are flying Inves! :P

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Fair enough. Doesn't Urobuchi like Ryuki a whole lot?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Man there's a lot of vines growing all over the city nowadays.

But I know what they can use to clean it up.
    Agent Orange
    B)

Fair enough. Doesn't Urobuchi like Ryuki a whole lot?
    I'm not sure. I do remember reading that he stated one of the Gaim Riders was inspired by Ouja, but if that's true I can't really tell who

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    He's stated that he's a huge fan of Kamen Rider.

Not sure specifically which one, but I think it was the original.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    First promo for Kamen Rider Drive was aired. Catch it while you can!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arQaRnJNqjE

So I bit the bullet and imported a copy of the first Kamen Rider Battride War game. I can't read any of it and I have no idea what's going on, but it's super good you guys. Double is a beast.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    http://battridewar.wikia.com/wiki/Kamen_Rider_Battride_War_Wiki

A little hard to navigate, but it has some story summaries along with descriptions of the stages, equipment, abilities, etc.

uyvfOQy.png
    This week's episode was kind of a letdown. It was basically a primer for the big confrontation that will happen next week.
    I flipped the hell out when Zack double-crossed the group, but then they laid it on thick that he's planning to turn on Kaito. As for how he'll turn the tables, I have no idea.

Hooooooly shit this week's Gaim.

Not much more I can say beyond that.

Also...
    vbUz2XW.jpg

:'(

Is that Agito in that picture next to Kouta? What is he doing there?

Also yeah, pretty good episode, got me excited for next week.

I've started watching W again. Super good.

A second Drive promo's up. This one's two minutes long and has plenty of neat stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVjHdWO-u70

Also, it looks like filming for Gaim's half of the Gaim/Drive movie is underway if these screenshots are any indication. Best not to peek if you want to wait till the end of Gaim to see who lives and who goes away.
    0chmSRK.jpgoIzGaMd.jpgcuCwwCq.jpgUFi7pug.jpg

Someone who was there claims to have seen Ryoma's actor on set, wearing makeup that supposedly makes him look android-ish.

Oh, and speaking of Gaim's ending or it's last episode at least, here's news about someone new showing up.
    vZzqH5p.jpg

Remember Kamen Rider Jam? The face behind the mask might be familiar as folks have been seeing it throughout the show.

iRC2h3c.jpg

Jam's out-of-suit actor is none other then Kei Sano, the twin brother of Gaim's actor.

• AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I'm super stoked for Drive and I'm glad it airs next month.

We're getting close to the end of Gaim now and it feels like it lost something along the way. The first half felt stronger and kind of petered out or was really awkward. I hope the ending will be good though.

Adellios on
    Drive airs the day before my birthday. Don't fuck this up, Toei.

Also, do we know what group(s) are subbing Drive?

Adellios wrote: »
    I'm super stoked for Drive and I'm glad it airs next month.

We're getting close to the end of Gaim now and it feels like it lost something along the way. The first half felt stronger and kind of petered out or was really awkward. I hope the ending will be good though.

Gaim does seem to have been stretching things out a bit in the third act, in retrospect. But point me to a single KR series that hasn't had pacing problems at least some point in their broadcast.

Kamen Rider Gaim, episode 46
    They really did pull a Madoka in the end there, didn't they.

I thought it was a bit of a cop-out that Takatora survived, but they found a way to make it really touching by having it play as a new chance for Micchy to start over.

The real surprise is that there's one more episode left. I was already ready to end this with the usual bittersweet feelings I feel from an Urobuchi story, but it looks like he's inserting an epilogue to help soften the blow.

I wasn't sure if I was going to check out Drive, but it looks like it might be the light-hearted alternative I need to recover from Gaim.

Ep 46
    My beloved melon.

In all seriousness, I really enjoyed the episode. The Man of the Beginning outfit was a little goofy, but whatever. The fight between Kouta and Kaito was pretty well done, and everything after the fight was good to see. I'm glad Zach survived.

What has me confused is all the shots of Kachidoki in the preview. I guess Kouta comes back? I'm also curious if Drive is gonna show up at all.

edited September 2014
    Three new pictures taken by someone witnessing filming for the Gaim-third of the Gaim/Drive crossover-film have surfaced, confirming two Riders for the movie.
    NukkB6E.jpg

Also, there's news on the last Gaim episode based on translations of what looks to be TV-listings and it seems like it may tie into Gaim's solo movie. Here's the scans of the listings as well as a look at a new character showing up in the episode. If anyone can confirm the attached translations, that'd be great.
    Apparently Kougane is coming back from the dead as Jam. Looks like getting juggled around by all the riders and getting smacked by a Soccer Ball caused him to change into a girl? It's time for Micchy the Hero of Zawame to protect his city!

Looks like there's more time distortions. Screenplay is by Jin Haganeya with the aid of Urobuchi's supervision.

qZBsm4H.jpg3GgjteA.jpg

Translation (apparently): After 6 months Micchy recalls his past with Kouta.
    A girl (Kougane), followed by a locust kaijin (Inago from Ep 37), transforms into Jam to challenge the Armored Riders. Micchy decides to face Jam.

The actress for Jam (Ando Honoka):
    qbuEplx.jpg

Owenashi on
    I got to say that the toys/belts are pretty darn cool and I like how close to show accurate they are.

Less then two weeks away from the premiere of Drive and there's some new scans thanks to the site Heroshock. Take a look if you want to know more about the villains as well as a couple of new tires for Drive.
    gyVrBGM.jpg

The bad guys, known currently as Roimudes are 108 beings who've sprung from the internet to gain their own special physical bodies. Supposedly they start out as one of three types; Bat, Cobra or Spider, with a 'Viral Core' Shift-Car that corresponds with that type. From there they change into two bodies with an apparently common middle-ground body called an Iron Roimude followed by a final evolution into a more individual form. It's been said that due to the number of Roimudes, expect to at least see one bite it every episode.

RzzE9Bg.jpg

Chase, a mysterious guy working with the Roimudes can henshin into Mashin Chaser with the help of his weapon, the Break Gunner, and uses his own selection of Viral Core Shift-Cars. Unlike Drive, he rides a bike labeled in the scans as the Ride Chaser and earlier as Shinigami. Seeing as the Roimudes are about evolving into better physical forms, could this fighting form be a stepping stone to something in the future that looks more Rider-ish?

xvjK8T8.jpg

Finally, two more Shift-Cars have been unveiled for tire-changes. The Spin Mixer's tire lets Drive fire concrete projectiles while the Dimension Cab's tire lets Drive teleport presumably short distances for multiple surprise attacks.

I do NOT like the way Chase looks. It looks like he fell into a vat of glue, and then into a vat of car parts.

@Adellios the belts are pretty dope. I splurged on a CS Modification Lost Driver last year, once I lose about 80-100 pounds I will be wearing it at home and being a big nerd.

I picked up the DX Sengoku Driver, super good. If Drive is good I'll be getting the Drive Driver as well, belt looks great.

Ultimately I want to find a good Rider 1 belt, but I can't even track one down for lots of moneys.

The Super Best OOOs belt (and medal set) came today. The die-cast clinking of the core medals is so satisfying. My only nitpick is the microchip is pretty noticeable.

I also have the Super Best Double Driver but haven't opened it because I'm sure the batteries in the Gaia Memories would be dead in about a day.

The lockseeds are pretty fun on their own but without the Driver sounds and catchphrases they aren't as exciting.

With the Kabuto CS Modification belt coming out soon I wonder which one they will do next.

With the Kabuto CS Modification belt coming out soon I wonder which one they will do next.

IpWibip.jpg

All yours for 13K yen come February 2015.

I can say with certainty that the CS Mod belts are great. I've heard the Kabuto Zecter had some QA issues though.

How are the Super Best belts by comparison to the DX belts? The Super Best Double Driver is cheaper on Amazon and comes with all six of the Gaia Memories, but if the driver is particularly cheaper looking/feeling, or if the memories are cheaper idk if I want to make the investment. Anyone know?

I got to say that the toys/belts are pretty darn cool and I like how close to show accurate they are.

Well, a lot of the time they actually use the actual belts, just with fancier beltstraps.

edited September 2014
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Decado

All yours for 13K yen come February 2015.

Probably the only belt I know nothing about. If only I could actually watch Decade longer than 5 minutes.

How are the Super Best belts by comparison to the DX belts? The Super Best Double Driver is cheaper on Amazon and comes with all six of the Gaia Memories, but if the driver is particularly cheaper looking/feeling, or if the memories are cheaper idk if I want to make the investment. Anyone know?

Super Best is usually a re-release of the same drivers but with additional stuff. Like the Double Driver comes with all 6 memories ( Wherein the original did not have Trigger/Metal. Trigger still doesn't have a Maximum Drive without its gun though. Metal does Maximum Drive.) The OOOs belt comes with Tajador/Latorata/Gatakiriba Medals instead of just Tatoba and Kamakiri Medals. Aside from that no difference, except maybe the box.

Edit: Probably the reason that it's cheaper is because it's newer.

Adellios on
    I'm still sad I never got a W belt. I have the Extreme Memory, Lost Driver and Skull Magnum, though. Also OOO belt and sword, Birth's stuff, two Medal Cases full of all of the medals, some Candroids, Drake's gun, Blade's King sword, Meteor's Driver and Brace...I have a lot of stuff in my closet.

uyvfOQy.png
    I want the Faiz belt and Blaster suitcase thing

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    edited September 2014
    The suitcase set is ridiculously expensive and hard to find, from what I remember. Easier to just make one yourself at that point.

While searching for that I did manage to get the Kaixa Gear, everything except for the gun/sword. It's pretty awesome.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited September 2014
    Oh snap....might have to buy.

EDIT: Faiz stuff is super pricey in general. A friend of mine passed a couple of years ago and he was a HUGE Faiz fan, so I ended up pricing the full Faiz gear. Probably would have bought it if I'd had the money, just to sort of remember the dude by.

I want a Skull Magnum, but at the same time I gots nowhere to put it so meh. I want the double driver mostly for Double's memories. Put Luna into the Lost Driver, imagine the shenanigans.

Inx on
    Let us commemorate the end of Kamen Rider Gaim with not one but two awesome fan-arts.

XGWL7AL.jpg

Vx36U70.jpg

Thoughts on the last episode.
    I assume that bad guy was a movie villain, but it was really just an excuse to give Micchy a final chance at redemption, which I'm totally okay with.

Most Urobutcher characters don't get a chance at redemption when they've sunk that deep, so it was nice seeing Micchy come full circle. Also glad that Hideyasu finally learned of Hase's fate, and wanted to atone for that as well.

Great send-off for a great series. I'm not positive if I'll be checking out Drive yet, as it's going to be real tough to top this series.

And kudos to Urobuchi for proving that no premise, no matter how silly or lighthearted, is beyond his cold, merciless grasp.

Let us commemorate the end of Kamen Rider Gaim with not one but two awesome fan-arts.

XGWL7AL.jpg

Vx36U70.jpg

Thoughts on the last episode.
    I assume that bad guy was a movie villain, but it was really just an excuse to give Micchy a final chance at redemption, which I'm totally okay with.

Most Urobutcher characters don't get a chance at redemption when they've sunk that deep, so it was nice seeing Micchy come full circle. Also glad that Hideyasu finally learned of Hase's fate, and wanted to atone for that as well.

Great send-off for a great series. I'm not positive if I'll be checking out Drive yet, as it's going to be real tough to top this series.

And kudos to Urobuchi for proving that no premise, no matter how silly or lighthearted, is beyond his cold, merciless grasp.
    Yeah I'm not sure exactly what's going on, you see a brief flashback to the second Gaim movie (the first being the crossover movie with Wizard) showing the red and gold Apple knight, and I guess somehow he got turned into whatever Dark purple and white evil Rider.

I felt pretty satisfied with the ending.

I'm not sure what to think about Drive. The story and badguys seem pretty cool, but Drive's tire change gimmick and the little toy cars aren't doing anything for me.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Finale
    Overall it was pretty solid. It was a bit hard to give a shit about Jam, since he was pretty much jammed in there, but it was a nice way of bringing Micchy around full circle. I still would have preferred they kill Micchy off, but this was a good way to handle it.

It was good to see Jounouchi acknowledge how he'd betrayed Hase, and seek redemption for it. It was nice to see the Kurokage suit again.

I'm not sure if I would have liked the episode more if Kouta hadn't come back, but a double kick finisher is always welcome.

Anyone else hype for Drive?

Finale
    Overall it was pretty solid. It was a bit hard to give a shit about Jam, since he was pretty much jammed in there, but it was a nice way of bringing Micchy around full circle. I still would have preferred they kill Micchy off, but this was a good way to handle it.

It was good to see Jounouchi acknowledge how he'd betrayed Hase, and seek redemption for it. It was nice to see the Kurokage suit again.

I'm not sure if I would have liked the episode more if Kouta hadn't come back, but a double kick finisher is always welcome.

Anyone else hype for Drive?
    Well you have to remember, in Japan probably a lot of KR watchers saw the Gaim movie featuring Apple Rider who becomes Jam in the final episode, so for them it probably makes more sense.

For us who have to wait on the movie to go to DVD before getting fansubs, we have no context yet.

I hope Drive is good. I should pick up another older one to watch. So far I've seen Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Kabuto, W, OOO, and Gaim.

Blade, Den-O, Kuuga, and Black are probably my top choices

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Black has my favorite first episode. It's a pretty good ride but some episodes you could probably happily skip. Shadow Moon has a pretty cool design too. Don't watch RX unless you reaaally want to.

Den-O was just too silly for me. I'd probably love watching it with someone, but solo I just got bored.

Blade has some of my favorite transformations and attacks, haven't watched it yet, though. I hear the first eight episodes aren't so great (and were apparently badly translated by TV-N the first time around) but after that it's great.

uyvfOQy.png
    Drive is live! Catch the opening theme and first henshin while they're still up!

This discussion has been closed.