As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better [Feminism]

19495969798100»

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »
    P.P.S. I ate pie for dinner and it was delicious

What kinda pie?

Half piece each apple and strawberry-rhubarb

YUM

Never have I desired rhubarb more than now.

Curse my anaphylaxis!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    P.P.S. I ate pie for dinner and it was delicious

What kinda pie?

Half piece each apple and strawberry-rhubarb

YUM

I was not entirely prepared for this response.

Americans are weird.

Yeah, we'd never stuff a sheep stomach with barley and offal.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Strawberry and rhubarb is easily my favorite pie filling.

Also racquetball is great. I used to be pretty decent before the knee injury. Miss it.

Also also this has been a great thread. Thanks peeps.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Goodnight, Feminism Thread.

You have been an amazing experience.

I hope to see you again soon.

• Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    So I was recently linked to this:

https://elementalstew.wordpress.com/2014/05/29/notallmenyesallwomen-secondary-trauma-and-relearning-everything-for-the-sake-of-not-killing-each-other/

which links to this:

http://www.nctsn.org/resources/topics/secondary-traumatic-stress

Which is about this:
    Secondary traumatic stress is the emotional duress that results when an individual hears about the firsthand trauma experiences of another. Its symptoms mimic those of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Accordingly, individuals affected by secondary stress may find themselves re-experiencing personal trauma or notice an increase in arousal and avoidance reactions related to the indirect trauma exposure.

Which is something I absolutely did have to deal with earlier in my life when first exposed to feminist thought, but has largely abated. I think there's a kind of innate reaction to criticism of a class of individuals, even if coached in careful terminology, where there will be some residual spillover. "Not all men!" is a really obnoxious kneejerk response to feminist concerns, but understanding some of the mechanisms behind it can make it easier to defuse and deal with.

It may sound silly to people unfamiliar with trauma survival and counseling, but listening is actually a skillset, not just something you do. It needs to be learned through practice and experience.

(also, I liked the original article but think its a bit too generous to the NotAllMen thing. Just because there are mechanisms which can explain the reaction doesn't mean it should be validated).

a similar article - http://www.dailydot.com/opinion/elliot-rodger-intimacy-masculinty-crisis/
    In light of this history, public displays of male homosocial affection (such as Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen’s heartwarming relationship) are nothing new; these displays model what male homosocial intimacy would look like today if we had bypassed a century of homophobia.

men would be a lot happier if we stopped disavowing gayness and girliness...

:bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    tumblr_mjvw7nAFp41qcm0i5o1_500.png

• Options
    Avraham wrote: »
    men would be a lot happier if we stopped disavowing gayness and girliness...

Hello, Pastor.

This is your new choir ....

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Smash the 100 pageriarchy

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Yo, we smashing things? I'm up for smashing things.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    did someone say pietriarchy

now that's an institionalized bias i can get behind

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I do wonder how many men realize that smashing the patriarchy will not only improve the lives of women (although that should be reason enough...), but the lives of men as well.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I sometimes feel like I'm cheating the system because I have adorable dogs to hug any time shit gets too real for me to handle.

Plenty of studies show that pet owners experience demonstrable benefits over non pet-owners

so this is probably literally true.

My best friend and his fiancee and I are talking about getting an actual house in somewhat distant neighborhood that has lower property values, hence why we'd be able to afford it.

It'd put me farther from my mom and other immediate family, but we'd have a lot more room, and a big ass yard for for their kids to play in, and also (this is where this become srelevant) we'll be able to get a dog. Multiple dogs, even!

I haven't been able to have dog in like thirteen goddamn years, so you have no idea how fucking excited I am at this, you guys.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »

Devour the pietriarchy

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »

Devour the pietriarchy

I heard that

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Also, I had hoped to do something (With Tynic's help) for the thread, but she's still on her week long trip so that's not happening.

I sure hope we have another feminism thread by the time she gets back!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Sheri wrote: »

Devour the pietriarchy

I heard that

I didn't even say it out loud!

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I do wonder how many men realize that smashing the patriarchy will not only improve the lives of women (although that should be reason enough...), but the lives of men as well.

I think, to an unfortunate degree, many of the actual benefits of smashing the patriarchy (Free expression of emotion! Acceptable platonic male-male intimacy! Acceptance of weakness as not devaluing you as an individual!) are actually things that a lot of people just don't see as good.

Like, people buy into machismo to the degree that they reject good things because they're not manly, valuing the current (restrictive) notion of manliness for its own sake.

• Options

Less than you hope and more than you expect.

Small moves, Sparks.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

I think, to an unfortunate degree, many of the actual benefits of smashing the patriarchy (Free expression of emotion! Acceptable platonic male-male intimacy! Acceptance of weakness as not devaluing you as an individual!) are actually things that a lot of people just don't see as good.

Like, people buy into machismo to the degree that they reject good things because they're not manly, valuing the current (restrictive) notion of manliness for its own sake.

I hate it when someone tells me not to do X cause it girly. I once got told eating strawberry pancakes at a dinner for dinner was girly. Fuck you, I'm eating my damn strawberry pancakes!

Less than you hope and more than you expect.

Small moves, Sparks.

I have no idea what this reference is.

• Options
    SedraxisSedraxis Kooloo LimpahRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of amazed at how quickly this thread reached 100 pages.

Mirrodinlandscape.jpg
    3DS: 0232-8293-7683
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Whoever holds the last post, if they be worthy, shall wield the power of the Feminist Thread...

..To smash the partiarchy

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Whoever holds the last post, if they be worthy, shall wield the power of the Feminist Thread...

..To smash the partiarchy
    But I am the partiarchy

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    party-archy

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Look at me go.

Posting via privilege.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    (Smashing the patriarchy)

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
This discussion has been closed.