As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HAIL HYDRA! and let slip the [WATCHDOGS] of war!

• Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    well I just played with uplay as I dont care for steam overlay much, not so bad so far but I havent played a gta style game in a long time

My uplay is juntalemea, so also feel free to add me

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna grab this and/or Wolfenstein on the way home tonight.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Preordered on Amazon, but it won't be here until Thursday :(

Xbone: bedigunz

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Heading to Best Buy soon

Debating if I want to get Wolfenstein as well.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Wolfenstein is super good.

I'm going back and forth on Watch Dogs. There are lots of things about that sound cool, but there are other things about it giving me pause. I'm going to get it, I'm just not sure when.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Held off of Wolfenstein

Picked up the Sly Cooper collection for Vita though.

• Options
    Hmmmmmm... Don't blow up a transformer when you're standing on it.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Attempt #2: uplay launched an update service thing. That crashed. It created a dump file. Thanks for that, uplay!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    And it keeps on doing that. marvelous.

Reinstalling. Had to change the location to Egypt to get a decent download speed.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, this game is probably way better on console, or at least on a controller. Finally got it to work but the controls on PC are really annoying.

Goose! on
  • Options
    so i have discovered I am terrible at hacking other players

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I'd recommend this if you liked sleeping dogs more than gtaV, it's got more of a cohesive theme and world, but technically it's not as amazing

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Man, what is this "Only one save file" bullshit in the year of our lord 2014

What an unbelievably asinine/needless/frustrating design decision

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Wait what

I don't even remember it asking for a save file

• Options
    Wait what

I don't even remember it asking for a save file

Exactly

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Im watching my friend play it and hes distraught that you cant close doors. He refused to leave the motel room you first start in because the door is just open and you cant close it. Hes like people are going to steal all my hacking shit!

So far im enjoying it, its not as good a rampage simulator as GTA, but the world is more than just a painting, I love being able to pick up and combine objects, and the stealth adds so much variety, its such a relief not to be gunning down thousands of police officers for a crazy random story NPC so I can steal a sandwich for them, or cover up my last sandwich spree. I also feel that the world is a little richer as it has a "setting" or theme, especially at night, with the rain and tech, it makes up for not looking all that pretty (although frankly if this is what average games look like now its not a bad thing).

I also love the way civilians react to being held up, the sync of their voice acting and animation is really convincing.

Mainly the lack of that euphoria physics and animation system that GTA has makes things not quite connect as well, but I feel like its a better "game" than GTA, in that it has game mechanics that you can use outside of missions, theres rewards for wandering around and doing side stuff, it all sort of connects together better than GTA, where you had this amazingly detailed world that just acted as backdrop and nothing else, with no universal systems of interaction.

Also the driving is not as good as GTA but I LOVE the fact that the cops have a sort of "timer" that appears just before they spot you, allowing you to slink away before youre spotted. I hated how in GTA you'd think you were fine and then BAM 5 stars time to drive across county! Its kind of similar to stealthing on foot when youre about to be spotted and you duck back into cover. I've been evading the cops and turned a corner, saw the spot bar filling up, back away, and then watched it dissipate. Kind of like you were "almost" seen. The actual stealth is great too, cover system works exactly like the latest spinter cell.

Basically it reminds me of Sleeping Dogs, technically not as good, but with a focussed and immersive story (not a particularly GOOD story, but not bad either, and it takes itself seriously, not too seriously, but enough for me to actually feel like cut scenes and dialogue always has a narrative point and I at least know WHY im doing something).

Prohass on
  • Options
    FeriluceFeriluce Adrift on the morning star. Aberdeen, WARegistered User regular
    I like this so far but haven't played it much yet. I screwed up a side quest thing because I didn't realize I had to wait a bit for the guy to attack his victim. I just blundered my way in.

XBox Live= LordFeriluce
    Steam: Feriluce
    Battle.net: Feriluce#1995
  • Options
    I kind of liked that I screwed it up and it was like "woops I scared him off before he could do anything" and it let me just continue on. Like no "FAILED, RETRY" screen.

• Options
    I only got to play for an hour or so before having to go to work (and I'm going to be traveling tomorrow, so it'll be my last time playing for a week or so), but I already have some thoughts.

Really dig how they present police searches. Seeing the crackling sphere of the area they're patrolling, hiding in an alley, darting away when you have the chance. Makes them more cat-and-mouse than GTAV/Sleepy Dags, more paranoid/tense and less adrenaline-fueled. Very cool.

The free-run controls are close enough to Assassin's Creed that I slip into that mindset subconsciously, but different enough that I run face first into a dumpster and can't figure out what happened. Need to adjust.

The writing is kinda really dumb. "Where's Marcus?" "I dumped him in my dumping spot." Great exchange, Watch_Dogs, nailed it.

Having an yet another revenge-driven white dude anti-hero is annoying, but I kinda like that the central relationship is between a brother and sister and not a romantic couple. You don't see many sibling relationships in games, particularly not as the central emotional engine. So, props for that, at least.

There was an interesting moment at the sister's house, when she gets the threatening call. Aidan hacks into her phone while she's still on it, eavesdropping on the conversation without her permission/knowledge, for her "protection," ostensbily. The people that installed CTOS did so under the auspices of protection too, yeah? Protecting the citizens, keeping them safe, privacy be damned. So it's interesting that this Big Brother-y organization (which, no coincidence that the mission where Aidan visits Nicky is called "Big Brother") which the game seems to be setting up as villainous has the exact same impulses, the same motivations, as our hero. I don't really trust the writing to explore that concept too well ("Dumped him in my dumping spot"), but I'm having fun building my own sort of parallel meta-narrative.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    I didn't really find anything wrong with the dumping spot line, as aiden reacts to it like we do, and it seems like part of the guys personality that's being established, as a kind of jittery meandering speaker who's a bit off kilter, repeats himself, etc. I mean it could be a sign of bad things on the horizon, but it didn't stick out to me as silly in a sense that it was meant to be serious, it was purposely odd sounding. I mean if they meant it to be laugh out loud funny or endearing, then it fails, but aidens reaction kind of followed my reaction of "ah, ok, hanging up now".

I also like the line at the start where the guys like "we're magicians" and aiden responded with a kind of eye roll and "come on"

But I agree, any game narrative that's not egregiously bad enough that I can add some of my own complexity between the lines is good, even if it doesn't actually address that complexity, as long as it doesn't actively sabotage it, contradict itself, confuse or bore me, I normally consider it a win. Maybe my bar is low, but as long as it's not endless pointless sarcasm and satire masquerading as a story I kind of enjoy it.

I'm not holding out hope that anything is seriously examined tho. I mean the baddies killed a kid. That's kind of enough for me to be ok taking them on on a primal level, even if the higher level complexities and parallels never pan out or are addressed. It's gotten to the stage in video game stories, and open world stories especially (along with my pet hate of GTAVs story), where if I know who I'm killing and why, then it's practically a revelation. Just show me them killing my niece and point me in the direction of the kid killers.

It even so far kind of implies that the vigilante angle is bullshit and secondary for aiden. I mean again maybe you're right, maybe I'm scaffolding the plot too much and giving it too much leway.

Prohass on
  • Options
    My beefs with the line are kinda manifold, for such a seemingly minor line. We're early enough in the game when it hits that we've only seen three characters, pretty much: Grandiose hacker, whose lines are "intentionally" bad with their lame grandiosity and self-importance; Aidan, who's a beige paste smoldering with generic rage and whose lines are unadorned and curt; and then jittery guy whose lines are "intentionally" bad because he's scatterbrained and hyperactive. So, we've got two characters with shit dialogue on "purpose," and one who says so little (and with so little personality) that he doesn't add any spice to the proceedings. When a solid two-thirds of the dialogue you're hearing is bad, it's hard to take it on faith that it's on purpose, ya dig?

Like, if they had somebody who was more interesting, more engaging, more fun, sure! Write some dumb characters! Have your smarter, more engaging, more interesting characters play off that dumbness for some laughs. But when you only write dumb characters who say dumb things, and then have your protagonist basically grunt at it, it doesn't much matter whether it's intentionally bad or not - it's still mostly bad dialogue.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    so I'm getting the impression this is not as crazy pretty as that first trailer was, huh

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    so I'm getting the impression this is not as crazy pretty as that first trailer was, huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z_Ktq5d3VQ

It doesn't look BAD, but you need a top of the line PC to get back up to that initial video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcujYbctPk

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    It's the wet streets reflecting store lights that makes or breaks the look. Does the game have a "stay nighttime all the time" option? All the daytime shots I've seen have such boring lighting. I'd settle for alternating between sunset/sunrise and night.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh also allow me to make getting invaded a lot easier

Is there a big group of civilians around and any one of them could be the invader?

Fire a round into the air, all the NPCs will run away and I don't think police and reputation are on during multiplayer so win-win

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    This game looks really good, just not as mind-blowing as the original trailer which makes it a lot like every other game ever shown at e3

• Options
    How the fuck do you perform take downs in criminal convoys? Anytime I disable their cars I have to somehow get out, takedown the guy without killing him, then get away from everyone shooting at me.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Played another hour or so last night. Did the birthday party scene and the next mission.

This is the kind of game I'll play for an hour here and there but it's not going to grip me.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    After playing certain privacy invasion missions, I think I totally get where this game is coming from now

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2014
    @Bedigunz You basically have to make them die in a horrific car crash. At certain points when you go through an intersection or other environmental elements you can control you will see Neutralize come up. This means there is a good chance you can disable the vehicle and kill the occupant. Sometimes it just disables the vehicle and they make a run for it, that case run them over. So far I have only had one where I neutralized the car and the target was killed. One other time the target tried to run and was run over by one of their own guys. That's some justice right there :)

Oh I am Greatmoon01 on uplay

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The more I play it, the more I've come to like the driving. It's the heavy cars of GTA4 with the focus mode of GTA5. And they've come as close to nailing the get away mechanic as any game I've yet to see. It just feels cool to turn a corner, hack open a gate to a basement parking lot, drive through, close the gate behind you and just hunker down until they give up and go away.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    @David_T I did have a cool moment like that. I was being chased by cops after a fixer mission I thought I was going to hack a traffic light but the garage door opened up instead. I was like whelp might as well see where this leads, and goes into an underground section of highway. The police were like "Where did he go!?" That was pretty awesome, also launched a car into the sky with a set of those barriers. Also I feel kind of bad when I take money from citizens that the profiler says were recently the victims of fraud, but then I take their last $180 anyway.

Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Getting invaded is bullshit. I have a full vigilante score! Fuck you, Ubi!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Getting invaded is bullshit. I have a full vigilante score! Fuck you, Ubi!

Then...turn off invasions?

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    David_T wrote: »
    The more I play it, the more I've come to like the driving. It's the heavy cars of GTA4 with the focus mode of GTA5. And they've come as close to nailing the get away mechanic as any game I've yet to see. It just feels cool to turn a corner, hack open a gate to a basement parking lot, drive through, close the gate behind you and just hunker down until they give up and go away.

I'm feeling this way too

I hated it at first just like I hated GTA4 driving, but now that I'm used to it, I love it

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    ok beat the game now

it was enjoyable

my favorite thing to do though are the little side mission things, like the murder investigations, the gang hideouts and such

also I like the online aspect, I think it could be better integrated though, because you can't play side games or anything while searching for people which is annoying because all you can do is drive around.

Tailing is neat, but can be frustrating sometimes if the person starts out on foot and then hops on a motorcycle and just takes off. Not a fan of online hacking too much because some places make it almost impossible to find a person while other places make it incredibly easy. Mobile is fun but lots of disconnects. Haven't done any racing or team stuff yet.

• Options
    so I decided to do the ctOS mobile app thing now that I've beaten the game and I added everybody so far on the uPlay list, but my name is something horrible like shop278672315 because I was an early adopter.

My friends list so far is:

Bedigunz
    g0oseyourself
    GreatMoon01
    juntalemea
    Obidiah
    RAIJINQ
    SmartHero

anybody else wanna get mobile'd by a person that just spams cars

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    also I just figured out how to set up the app to play with people on all systems; it's complicated and frustrating but if you have any specific questions just post them here

• Options
    @Bedigunz You basically have to make them die in a horrific car crash. At certain points when you go through an intersection or other environmental elements you can control you will see Neutralize come up. This means there is a good chance you can disable the vehicle and kill the occupant. Sometimes it just disables the vehicle and they make a run for it, that case run them over. So far I have only had one where I neutralized the car and the target was killed. One other time the target tried to run and was run over by one of their own guys. That's some justice right there :)

Whenever I kill the target I get a "Mission Failed. You were supposed to take down the target" meaning that I shouldn't have killed him. Also when I try to neutralize a steam pipe or a traffic jam, his entourage just starts shooting at me, even though I'm like two blocks away.

Any tips?

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »

Whenever I kill the target I get a "Mission Failed. You were supposed to take down the target" meaning that I shouldn't have killed him. Also when I try to neutralize a steam pipe or a traffic jam, his entourage just starts shooting at me, even though I'm like two blocks away.

Any tips?

IED on the road, get-away car ready, make sure you know which side of the car the victim is on. Blow up the first car, next car will stop and the guy'll get out, run up and do a takedown then jump into your get-away car and speed off. They'll be following you, but that's why they call it a get-away car.

euj90n71sojo.png