Options

[LttP] Sonic Rush

2»

• Options
    DukiDuki Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Tails and Knuckles are both awesome. You guys are dicks.

Duki on
  • Options
    CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I have never played Sonic CD. This is something I am deeply ashamed of.

Honestly? I like it and all, but it isn't that great. Don't get me wrong, it's an excellent game, but the game engine just seems...off...to me. I'd rank Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and Sonic Rush above it in terms of gameplay (I've never really played the Sonic Advance games :? )

Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Duki wrote: »
    Tails and Knuckles are both dicks. You guys are awesome.
    fixd.png

I kid, of course :) But I agree with people when they say that the "gang" should've stopped at Knuckles. The exception to this rule is, I think, Shadow the Hedgehog.
    He should've stayed dead at the end of SA2, IMHO. Shoehorning him into more games - into his own game, FFS - lessens the impact his death had.

Which is exactly what that other Doctor Who spin-off featuring
    Rose
    was cancelled. It would have cheapened the end of Series 2.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Issue has less to do with the characters and more with what gameplay scenarios the characters are in. Knuckles stupid scavenger hunts blew so much ass. I'm probably one of the few people that actually had some fun with Tails in his shooter mech, but it was brainless shooting action. Not horrible.

I bet people would hate Shadow infinitely less if he weren't in the shitty coasters that Sega tries to pass off as games.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I bet people would hate Shadow infinitely less if he weren't in the shitty coasters that Sega tries to pass off as games.

The hate would be lessened, but the cheapness would by no means become diminished.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know what I'd like? I'd like it if the last Chaos Emerald stage for Sonic in Sonic Rush didn't make me HATE HAPPINESS!

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2007
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    You know what I'd like? I'd like it if the last Chaos Emerald stage for Sonic in Sonic Rush didn't make me HATE HAPPINESS!
    Sonic Rush just has this out-of-nowhere difficulty spike at the end.

The last zone for the final boss has so many instant-kill pits. The final Special Zone demands an high degree of speed and accuracy. The final boss itself gets so damn cheesy at the last 2-3 hits I've given up entirely on beating it.

The rest of the game has a nice curve and suddenly gives you the finger during the home stretch.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Ditto. Fuck that zone.

My Sig says I'm still playing it, but really I haven't fired it up in over a month. Having to go back and essentially "grind" the earlier levels to gain more lives is just boring.
    When you're falling to your death, you can pause the game and quit, thus not losing a life.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Ditto. Fuck that zone.

My Sig says I'm still playing it, but really I haven't fired it up in over a month. Having to go back and essentially "grind" the earlier levels to gain more lives is just boring.
    When you're falling to your death, you can pause the game and quit, thus not losing a life.

Why did I not realise this before

In any case, having to rely on a tactic like that is an indication of iffy level design.

japan on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've A-ranked the final zone >_>

Seriously though, what's wrong with SEGA? This game surely did better then any of the "Advance" series, and yet there's been no mention of a sequel? It's been out for over 2 years now :/

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I had a hard time with this game. In the night carnival, I literally fell to my death every time for about a month. Still haven't beaten it yet.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SeptimiusSeptimius Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Senor Fish wrote: »
    Lezta wrote: »
    Tails though, Tails is awesome.

I wish they'd just stopped at Knuckles... really, the 'team' was pretty awesome by that point.

Rush is great - the soundtrack is an essential part of my enjoyment though. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not...

(seriously though, slower Sonic works best. Sonic wasn't really ever about speed... he just... went fast. Sometimes. On loops)
    Sonic wasn't about speed...

I'll let someone who's better at rants take care of this.

What? It isn't like you broke the sound Barrier in Marble Zone, Labyrinth, Scrap Brain and Final Zone.

Septimius on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just thought I'd hop in here and say, as someone who didn't play Sonic much as a kid (I didn't have a Genesis), but played them later on as an adult: Sonic Rush is my favorite Sonic game.

There are one or two spots where you're flying in the air and are not sure where to land (thus falling in a pit), but other than that, I thought the level design was great. I also liked being able to dash through enemies (and the nice "!" alert you get right before you come across an enemy).

I agree with plufim: where's a sequel?

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    SeptimiusSeptimius Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I just thought I'd hop in here and say, as someone who didn't play Sonic much as a kid (I didn't have a Genesis), but played them later on as an adult: Sonic Rush is my favorite Sonic game.

There are one or two spots where you're flying in the air and are not sure where to land (thus falling in a pit), but other than that, I thought the level design was great. I also liked being able to dash through enemies (and the nice "!" alert you get right before you come across an enemy).

The Sky Zone had too many trial and error portions, I think everyone can agree on that. The thing that grates on my nerves is the secret level, I'm not good enough to beat the last bonus stage. Short games shouldn't have big extras that are out of reach of mere mortals.

I think Sega said there'd be a sequel if it sold well, I think it sold a decent amount? Yet we've heard nothing.

Septimius on
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I found this game completely impossible untill I worked out the trick/boost system.

Then I absoloutely adored it. Yes the story segments where absolutely horrible and the bosses incredibly unfair (one hit kills are not fun.), but tearing through a level with your finger glued to the boost button, with your feet barely touching the ground and your boost bar flashing all the while is just so awesome. Then getting rewarded with a great big fat S rank.

Good god they got the special stages right for once. The ones in the Advance series were horrible, especially A# which required you to hunt down ten chaos in each zone, then earn a key to unlock the spring which you then had to find. I gave up on ever collecting them all.

But in Rush, they where perfect, Sonic2 with tight control. Challenging, yes, but so much fun.

Bantry on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lave wrote: »
    I got this of LewieP last week.

I'm enjoying it a lot. I like the rush bar - speed boosting through enemies makes sense, and stops a lot of "insta-kills". I don't understand how you do these "tricks" to fill the bar up though? Or is that not true?

Also when Sonic bops someone he comes out of his spin - this is wrong!

Fuck Blaze though. Jeez.

He stops spinning, but you can still hit other enemies. This is the best way to fill your rush meter, in fact.

And why fuck blaze? She's just another skin for Sonic, except she can hover.

Blaze is slower and doesn't jump as high off springs or just in general, but she has that devastating dash attack. I really like that Blaze is different from sonic, and yet still awesome. And her remixed tunes are pretty sweet too. Sometime soon I'll probably hook it up to the stereo and play through this again.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Blaze is slower and doesn't jump as high off springs or just in general,
    Did you never think of pressing R + Up?

She can go a lot higher than sonic.

Bantry on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Bantry wrote: »
    I found this game completely impossible untill I worked out the trick/boost system.

Then I absolutely adored it. Yes the story segments where absolutely horrible and the bosses incredibly unfair (one hit kills are not fun.), but tearing through a level with your finger glued to the boost button, with your feet barely touching the ground and your boost bar flashing all the while is just so awesome. Then getting rewarded with a great big fat S rank.
    I totally agree. Its like burnout 2's "burnout" system, in that you don't really get it until you hit the sweet spot where you can charge the meter up just as fast as it drains. Then it suddenly becomes a roller coaster of awesome, and you just have to try and stay on.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007

Then I absolutely adored it. Yes the story segments where absolutely horrible and the bosses incredibly unfair (one hit kills are not fun.), but tearing through a level with your finger glued to the boost button, with your feet barely touching the ground and your boost bar flashing all the while is just so awesome. Then getting rewarded with a great big fat S rank.
    I totally agree. Its like burnout 2's "burnout" system, in that you don't really get it until you hit the sweet spot where you can charge the meter up just as fast as it drains. Then it suddenly becomes a roller coaster of awesome, and you just have to try and stay on.

Hmmmmm. I totally need to try figuring this boost shit out. It always just seemed like an irritating gimmick to me.Totally hate the special stage control. The stylus gets in the way. And I too am stuck on the wind/flying/cloud zone. Too much bullshit. I wish they wouldn't bother with that 'story' shit in the middle of zones too. "See how fast you can press A!"

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Septimius wrote: »

The Sky Zone had too many trial and error portions, I think everyone can agree on that. The thing that grates on my nerves is the secret level, I'm not good enough to beat the last bonus stage. Short games shouldn't have big extras that are out of reach of mere mortals.

I think Sega said there'd be a sequel if it sold well, I think it sold a decent amount? Yet we've heard nothing.

I think Sega just needs to get over this insane obsession with bottomless pits. Sonic is more about dodging the bottomless pits now then just kicking ass through a level.

If you recall the good ol Sonic games very few levels had bottomless pits. You shouldnt be able to plummet to you doom in the middle of a forest..

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Its worth persevering through all the trial and error in the sky zone. The zone after is my favourite. :)

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    CrazyfoolCrazyfool Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So I know this thread is about Sonic Rush for the DS, but an interesting thought just crossed my mind:

What if they made a new 2d Sonic Platformer for XBLA or Wii VC?

There is so much potential for awesome here.

Crazyfool on
    Floyd86.png
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »
    Blaze is slower and doesn't jump as high off springs or just in general,
    Did you never think of pressing R + Up?

She can go a lot higher than sonic.

I fail at reading manuals... I didn't know R did anything until the last level, and even then I only knew it did the mid-air dash.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg