As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Console-style controller for Windows

DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
I've been meaning to get a console-style controller that's usable with a Windows PC for some time now, but keep holding off because I can't pinpoint a Definitive Best Controller. However, I have determined that Nidhogg must be played, and so a controller must be had. I was hoping I could solicit some advice on these matters.

Considerations:
- I don't really care about the form factor (Xbox-style, Playstation-style, whatever)
- I would very, very much prefer wireless (even if that means recharging/swapping batteries)
- I already have a (long-neglected) Xbox 360 with one controller, so a solution that lets me re-use that controller would be a delight
- I want something that supports XInput, because that's more modern
- I currently have a 64-bit version of Windows 7. I'm also expecting a Surface Pro 3, which runs Win 8.1; if the controller can work with that as well, that would be a bonus

I've heard that the official Wireless Xbox 360 Controller For Windows is the gold standard, but I also heard that the receiver for that thing dies if you so much as breathe on it. Also, all the stand-alone receivers for that thing seem to be third-party, and I gotta be honest: I'm a little wary of buying third-party electronics.

So, all that said, what would you fine folks recommend?

Delduwath on

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Got the Wireless 360 controller for windows, had it for a couple of years. Don't use it terribly often but I've never had any problem with the receiver.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401376790&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+xbox+360+controller+for+windows $45 on Amazon, done.

I guess the Logitech F710 is a worthy alternative, but I have no personal experience with it. http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000117-Gamepad-F710/dp/B0041RR0TW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1401376832&sr=8-2&keywords=logitech+gamepad

• Options
    The nice thing about the 360 controller is that - from what I understand - I can use up to 4 controllers with the receiver. So if I buy that controller + receiver combo, I'll be able to use the 360 controller I already have, as well. That's a plus. Again, I see some receiver horror stories online, but maybe it's worth it.

The F710 looks good too, and from what I understand, it also supports the older DInput mode, so it's strictly speaking more flexible. A bunch of reviews on Amazon seem to suggest that it's a little erratic, though; apparently it has signal loss issues, input lag, and it has a very short range.

I need Valve to ride in on their horse and deliver onto me their owl-controller already.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    360 controller is absolutely the way to go

99.9% of PC games made in the past 6 years automatically change their controls/icons on screen when you plug one in so you don't even need to do any kind of fiddling with anything.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I had the wireless 360 receiver (one of the last ones that Microsoft actually produced themselves and sold standalone). It served me for ~5 years before dying. Basically, part of their circuitry is thermally flawed and could die at a moment's notice. It is possible to repair them, but honestly too much work for me to bother with. So, I bought a wired 360 controller. Happy with it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I have no complaints with the F710. The switch to move between DInput and Xinput is pretty nice. Worked fine for the Batman games.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    The nice thing about the 360 controller is that - from what I understand - I can use up to 4 controllers with the receiver. So if I buy that controller + receiver combo, I'll be able to use the 360 controller I already have, as well. That's a plus. Again, I see some receiver horror stories online, but maybe it's worth it.

Confirming that you can use multiple 360 controllers with one receiver.

The receiver build quality seems to be very variable--but not for the obvious reasons. Microsoft stopped making them a while back (years now), as far as I can tell, and the original MS ones are quite rare. I've got one, and it's at least four years old and works fine. The cheap knock-offs work fine for some people, or die early for others.

• Options
    Well, I decided to bite the bullet today and ordered one of those controller + receivers from Amazon. Some folks are saying that they get a genuine controller and a knock-off receiver, which bothers me on ethical grounds. But, I guess we'll see what happens!

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The wireless headsets also work with that receiver.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Alright, so, anecdotal personal experience update: The receiver seems fine thus far, and lasted through a 4-day, all-gaming mini-vacation just fine. We played things like Towerfall: Ascension, Samurai Gunn, Nidhogg, SpeedRunners, and Starwhal: Just the Tip with 2 Xbox 360 controllers connected via the wireless receiver and 2 PS3 controllers plugged in directly via USB, and everything worked out just fine. So, success for now!