As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nvidia 8600 cards = disappointing performance

JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/426/
Guru3D wrote:
The 8600 GTS will serve a $199 to $229 price point, followed by the 8600 GT ($149 to $159) and the GeForce 8500 GT ($89 to $129).

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/486/1/
8600_specifications.jpg

and when you correspond those prices to these Hardwarezone benchmarks of an overclocked 8600GTS (745 MHz core clock / 1145 MHz memory clock)
SCa1.gifCOH.gif
Q4.gifFearA.gif

and then consider that an X1950 Pro is only $159 online ($139 after rebate), the only thing the 8600GTS has going for it is DX10 support, which may be a moot point as many effects like HDR and advanced shaders will have to be disabled to get playable framerates on upcoming games. It's been suggested that the continued use of a 128-bit bus by Nvidia for their midrange cards is responsible for the hobbled performance of the 8600GTS (and the absolute necessity of such high clock and memory speeds). It would seem that the 8800GTS 320MB at $280 ($260 or less after rebate) is the bang for the buck leader in this generation of Nvidia cards.

JWFokker on

• Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Wow...Hmm. Well, I was waiting to see some results like this, since I'm looking to get a new card soonish. Looks like the 8800GTS is indeed the way to go if you want DX10 for an affordable price right now.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I just found NewEgg selling the X1950XT for $199 with a $20 rebate to bring it to $179, which matches the 8800GTS in benchmarks. Hmmm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102067

Oddly, it's $40-50 less than the rest of the X1950XT's on the market.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmm, and it's a retail version of the card no less!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I've been pretty pissed at Nvidia since I learned their Aspect Ratio Scaling function hasn't worked in the drivers for over a year, which pretty well screws some widescreen uses out of certain games. They've fixed it for Vista, but left XP users out to dry for apparently no damn reason.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    brynstar wrote: »
    Hmm, and it's a retail version of the card no less!

Yeah. There are some open box X1950XT's for a little bit less than that, but the rest of the retail cards are $240+. Color me surprised.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I would argue that those benchmarks are on beta drivers so it doesn't seem a fair test just yet. However, I do feel screwed since nVidia seems to not give a crap about updating XP drivers anymore. The 1950XTX is really nice for the money. Now if they only made a 1950XTX AIW card...

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I thought the allure of the 8600 was DX10 at half the 8800 price. Is this not true?

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This performance was to be expected. Well, perhaps not by a few that thought this baby would be the new 6600gt... It still uses BETA drivers though, and it's smaller (making it easier to fit in alot of cases) and cooler. Furthermore it has better IQ than the 7 series and DX10 support + HDCP compatible.

The only thing about it is, is that the 8800GTS 320mb is alot more bang for buck.

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    I thought the allure of the 8600 was DX10 at half the 8800 price. Is this not true?

That's what I thought, as well.

I noted a few differences, and did some comparing/contrasting with what I needed in a graphics card, and I ended up getting the 7900 GS. I've yet to install it (I want to get a 450W or 500W power supply, so I can comfortably run the fans I bought), but I'll have it in and going mid-week.

It'll be a great day. :D

Kami on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    The problem there is that we probably won't see a true DX10 game for another 6 months, by which time the 8600 will be a generation behind.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Inigo MontoyaInigo Montoya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »

/snip/

and then consider that an X1950 Pro is only $229 online, ...

Actually an X1950 PRO 512MB is in the $200+ range online. The 256MB version which was shown in those benchmarks can get as low as say $140 After rebate

Inigo Montoya on
    "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Boy am I glad I have my 8800GTX

That's really disappointing, I was hoping this card could offer a cheap solution. I was looking forward to building some PC's for some of my clients using this card, but now it looks like DX10 is still going to come at a price.

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »

/snip/

and then consider that an X1950 Pro is only $229 online, ...

Actually an X1950 PRO 512MB is in the $200+ range online. The 256MB version which was shown in those benchmarks can get as low as say $140 After rebate

That would explain why the X1950XT is in the $200-250 range. I'll correct the OP.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ATi (or AMD, whatever) will be unveiling their new DX10 cards very soon and supposedly the top dog is very competitive with the 8800 GTX. It's conceivable, then, that ATi will release a mid-range card to compete with the 8600 line and outperform them.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm kinda impressed that the 1950xt is so close to the 8800GTS. In fact so impressed I'm kinda suspect.

Rook on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    I'm kinda impressed that the 1950xt is so close to the 8800GTS. In fact so impressed I'm kinda suspect.
    I think the 8800GTS is being bottlenecked by the CPU. Or they are using a 1950xtx, which can hang with 8800GTS without a problem.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I dont see anything really suprising about the performance here, what did people expect?

a midrange card is near equaling last gen's high end.

thats par for the course every go around

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    sorry, the X1950 line confuses me a bit, can someone link/post a simple run down of them.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    X1800 GTO 256MB (500/1000) (6.0/32.0) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI
    - 12 pixel shader units – 12 TMUs – 8 ROPs – 8 vertex shader units

The card is a bit faster than a 6800 Ultra and performs similar as a 7600 GT. Some cards can be softmodded.

X1800 XL 256MB (500/1000) (8.0/32.0) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI
    - 16 pixel shader units – 16 TMUs – 16 ROPs - 8 vertex shader units

It’s a bit slower than a 7800 GT.

X1950 GT 256MB (500/1200) (6.0/38.4) (PCIe) 256-bit HDCP D-DLDVI Native CF
    - 36 pixel shader units – 12 TMUs – 12 ROPs - 8 vertex shader units

A bit faster than a 7900 GS.

X1900 GT 256MB (575/1200) (6.9/38.4) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI

An X1800 XT 256MB is marginally faster while the 7900 GT has about the same speed. When more pixel shader intensive games are released an increase in performance is expected. Some cards can be softmodded.

X1900 GT 256MB (512/1315) (6.1/42.1) (PCIe) 256-bit HDCP D-DLDVI

This is the new revision of X1900 GT which features a better cooler and HDCP support. The changed frequencies have little to say for its performance.

X1950 Pro 256/512MB (580/1400) (6.9/44.2) (AGP/PCIe) 256-bit HDCP* D-DLDVI Native CF

The performance is marginally better than a X1900 GT which in turn puts it side by side a X1800 XT 256MB. The fastest card using the AGP interface.
    * Till now everybody includes it despite the fact that this isn’t obligatory.

X1800 XT 256/512MB (625/1500) (10.0/48.0) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI
    - 16 pixel shader units – 16 TMUs – 16 ROPs - 8 vertex shader units

In general the performance is a bit faster than a 7800 GXT and marginally faster than a 7900 GT. When equipped with 512 MB of VRAM it often pulls further ahead, especially at high resolutions.

X1900 XT 256MB (625/1450) (10.0/46.4) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI
    - 48 pixel shader units – 16 TMUs – 16 ROPs - 8 vertex shader units

The only thing separating it from a regular X1900 XT is less memory available. The performance is usually affected – thus revealing that 256MB is often a bottleneck for such a fast card. The severity will of course vary from game and setting used but a ~10% hit isn’t unusual in newer games. To summarize the performance: about 5% faster than a 7950 GT.

X1950 XT 256MB (625/1800) (10.0/57.6) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI

Speed wise is it pretty equal a X1900 XT 512MB, which in turn shows a bottleneck caused by low amount of memory (read also X1900 XT 256MB).

X1900 XT 512MB (625/1450) (10.0/46.4) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI

The card is substantially (~25%) faster than a X1800 XT 512MB, although it can’t entirely match a 7900 GTX. The performance is marginally better than a 7800 GTX 512 MB. When more pixel shader intensive games are released an increase in performance is expected.

X1900 XTX 512MB (650/1550) (10.4/49.6) (PCIe) 256-bit D-DLDVI

It’s a bit faster than an X1900 XT and marginally faster than a 7900 GTX. When more pixel shader intensive games are released an increase in performance is expected.

X1950 XTX 512MB (650/2000) (10.4/64.0) (PCIe) 256-bit HDCP D-DLDVI

Even though the GDDR4 memory offers unparalleled memory bandwidth it still isn’t all that much faster than a X1900 XTX – only about 5% in average.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    why thank you. I was never sure whether X1950 XT 256 was better than a X1900 512. I'll be buying a video card in the next month or so, so that'll be of use. Cheers.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Rook wrote: »
    I think the 8800GTS is being bottlenecked by the CPU. Or they are using a 1950xtx, which can hang with 8800GTS without a problem.

This may very well be the case. I wouldn't think so because Quake 4 and FEAR aren't exactly new games or CPU limited, but those two benchmarks don't exactly match up with the couple other review benchmarks that included the 8800GTS 320MB and the X1950XT. Unfortunately, far too many "reviews" don't compare the review card to it's direct competition so you have no frame of reference.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I hoped it be closer to 7950... :P

I'm happy with my 8800gts... hope it's enough to play some DX10 games without sacrificing too much.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I suppose the prudent thing would be to wait until the major tech sites get their hands on both Nvidia and ATi's new hardware. I don't have high hopes for ATi, but if these benchmarks are accurate, I'm quite disapointed with Nvidia as well.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    is it just me more is graphic card development starting to slow down?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm still going to need that 8600GT/S

Unless there's a single slot 8800/X2800 coming out soon. That or the X2600 if they kick the 8600's ass.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    megabytemegabyte Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    scootch wrote: »

I'd tend to agree. Longer product cycles with greater variation was the idea for this generation.

Also, I'm curious about this: Can anyone break down on a 6 month period what the price/performance champion has been for the past 4 years? I'd be really interested to see if prices have followed inflation or nvidia/ati have been slowly increasing the price of the middle of the pack to previously "expensive" levels.

megabyte on
    b_350x20_C692108-381007-FFFFFF-000000.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Photo-0114.jpg

Photo-0113.jpg

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    isn't that a very very good price? or am I thinking in UK prices.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    isn't that a very very good price? or am I thinking in UK prices.

Seeing as the rumored price was between 199 and 229, not really. The much better 8800GTS sits around 280-300 on the low end (320MB) URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130082"]259 with a mail-in rebate[/URL. Check the OP for the performance difference you'd get for 40 or 50 dollars.

However, this is Best Buy, so who the hell knows.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    just speaking anecdotally, BB's prices for component parts like this are typically shit, with a lot of margin for them

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Best Buy (and really any brick-and-mortar store) will overcharge the hell out of any PC components and then charge people even more ridiculous amounts to install them. I've seen a motherfucking Geforce FX5200 there for over $120.

Anyway, this is depressing. I guess this is AMD's opportunity for a comeback.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    just speaking anecdotally, BB's prices for component parts like this are typically shit, with a lot of margin for them

Their idiocy pretty much sold me on a 8800GTS, though (not from Best Buy, haha). I guess they're good for something.

I edited my post up there with some more stuff.

EvilBadman on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That's actually a terrible price. It's probably above MSRP. The pre-overclocked cards will likely be $229-249 and the basic cards will be $199 or less (MSRP and from online retailers). This is not a pre-overclocked card, but Best Buy is horribly overpriced on PC hardware. Regardless, the 8500/8600 cards aren't worth buying anyway as the 8800GTS is only a few bucks more for 30-50% higher frame rates. Of course, the pricing structure could all change when ATi releases their new cards.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    God, we can only hope.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    gilrain wrote: »
    God, we can only hope.

But don't worry, we'll have cards to power physics, AI, smellovision, and grilled cheese drives pretty soon.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    God, we can only hope.
    But don't worry, we'll have cards to power physics, AI, smellovision, and grilled cheese drives pretty soon.
    The grilled-cheese drive is a technology I can get behind! :D

gilrain on
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fuck yeah man. It's about time computers started making our lives easier.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Damn, I think the 8600 GTS was the DX10 card I was most excited about. I was ready to spend $200 on a midrange DX10 card when the rumors were circulating about their new lineups, but this is kind of unfortunate.

Unless I'm mistaking it for the 8800 GTS, which could be the case.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    God, we can only hope.
    The grilled-cheese drive is a technology I can get behind! :D

It will cost $700 for the first year, though. After that, a mid-range version will be released that only makes half a sandwich and can only use American cheese.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    Damn, I think the 8600 GTS was the DX10 card I was most excited about. I was ready to spend $200 on a midrange DX10 card when the rumors were circulating about their new lineups, but this is kind of unfortunate.

Unless I'm mistaking it for the 8800 GTS, which could be the case.

For $260, the 8800GTS is definitely the best bang for the buck in Nvidia's lineup. I was hoping the 8600GTS was going to be a solid performer, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I wouldn't be surprised if Nvidia is trying to force "midrange" market average price up. Hopefully ATi capitalizes on this and releases a killer $200 card.

JWFokker on