Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Music] Maker's Thread.

12346»

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist ኢትዮጵያRegistered User regular

Still plugging away trying to create a track here and there. Thanks to everyone who previously offered advice on mixing, I am now trying to mess with EQ to give each instrument a little more of its own space. I still have a long way to go. If anyone would like to give further feedback I'm all ears.

One of the things I love about digital production is that I can create a massive effects chain that I'd never be able to manage with an analogue instrument, in terms of the amount of gear I'd require. But I don't know, how much reverb and delay is too much? I like the way this sounds, but that's not to say anyone else would. But I've been in a real shoegazey-post-rocky kind of phase the last few years and unless I have a weird take on it, that's kind of a hallmark of the genre, yes?

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.
    Marty81
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    No amount of reverb is too much.

Consider me subscribed to your newsletter.

• JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited December 1
    Reverb is one of the fundamental building blocks of sound. Its one of the first things we try to determine about any sound in real life (where is it coming from?) so its as essential to some genres as distortion is to rock. The trick is not distributing it so that every element sounds like its coming from the same place so to speak. Also the decay of a reverb trail has a way of killing immediacy in elements that you may want to be percussive, busy or forward. It pushes everything back into the haze.

If I have any comments on the mix its on the drums. As the song builds they get buried, so when it sounds like its 'kicking in' the drums kinda don't. Either volume automation or layering more might help this.

Jeedan on
  • JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited December 1
    I was listening to the noise rock band Whores the other day so I tried to rip them off

Jeedan on
    Marty81
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    Reverb is one of the fundamental building blocks of sound. Its one of the first things we try to determine about any sound in real life (where is it coming from?) so its as essential to some genres as distortion is to rock. The trick is not distributing it so that every element sounds like its coming from the same place so to speak. Also the decay of a reverb trail has a way of killing immediacy in elements that you may want to be percussive, busy or forward. It pushes everything back into the haze.

If I have any comments on the mix its on the drums. As the song builds they get buried, so when it sounds like its 'kicking in' the drums kinda don't. Either volume automation or layering more might help this.

I agree with the drums getting lost as the song goes on. It feels like more and more parts just keep getting stacked onto each other in the song with no volume differences or anything. I have two suggestions. One is a mixing suggestion and the other is a composition suggestion.

Mixing: Start with the densest part of the song, which is usually the climax/final chorus, and get a really good static mix there. Once you've got that the other parts will probably already sound decent. Go back to them and fine tune them with volume automation. Make sure the climax still stands out.

Composition: Instead of adding one part, then adding another, then adding another, etc, let parts also drop out of the arrangement from section to section. It'll make it more interesting for your listener and it will also be easier to mix, there being fewer parts fighting for space. I read somewhere that a listener can really only maintain focus on three different parts at once. It's ok if you have more than three things happening at once but those other things need to be background material or ornaments. Your three things should probably generally be drums, lead melody, and rhythm instrument (bass or guitar or synth or something).

• Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »
    I was listening to the noise rock band Whores the other day so I tried to rip them off

I don't know the Whores but this sounds good to me!

Thanks for the feedback. I also got a few tips from a feedback thread in a music maker sub on reddit. I've been trying to apply some of these suggestions but I think I ended up mangling it so I went back and now trying again...

12346»