As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forklift certification? Forklift certification!

Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships)Registered User regular
Sort of an odd question, but after consideration, getting forklift certification seems like it would be a useful addition to my CV as a side skill. However, going online and searching for how to get it done offers a bevy of results, a lot of them seeming along the line of 'do it all online!' for dubious accreditation. I unfortunately don't have any immediate warehouse contacts who could give me the info first hand, but if anyone has advice, it would be appreciated.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Usually done through the company you're working at, since they will have the equipment. If someone at the compnay is a certified trainer they will do it or send you to whoever they buy/lease the trucks.

So if the class doesn't involve being in/using a truck, don't bother

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yea, there is no "official" forklift certification. What is done is that some industry groups giving training courses for forklift trainers and then these trainers provide in house licenses. These kind of things vary wildly in what they entail. A week of training or an hour of training are not unheard of.

We were just talking about this in the SE job thread and the OSHA rules are amazingly loose. They basically consist of "Employees should be trained on how to use a forklift before using one" and "The trainer should be qualified to train, like by a course or just lots of experience or something."

In reality this is something that you just do for a bit and get enough familiarity to feel comfortable saying you can do it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    1. Don't raise the load until you're in position to place it.
    2. Never move with a suspended load.
    3. Always look where you're going.
    4. Remember you're steering with the rear wheels.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    5: When on an incline, the load is always on the uphill side.

I've got a lot of incidental exposure, which is why I'm thinking getting some sort of certification could be handy in the future. Might also make my current CV a little shinier for the places I'm submitting to.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    6. If the truck tips, ich weiß nicht Englisch sprechen, also keep your body & limbs inside the truck.

• Options
    Kick_04Kick_04 Registered User regular
    5: When on an incline, the load is always on the uphill side.

I've got a lot of incidental exposure, which is why I'm thinking getting some sort of certification could be handy in the future. Might also make my current CV a little shinier for the places I'm submitting to.

If you are currently employed and they have some sort of online training, you could search the online catalog in the training area and see if there is any sort of fork lift training on there.

Also with how broad and varying the "training" can be for each company, might be something you can mention or talk your way around during an interview and just not put it on your resume. I know not exactly what you were looking for, but resume could help get you the interview and then being able to explain the operations of forklift could help get you the job compared to the others interviewing who have never been around or looked at one.

PSN id - kickyoass1
    PaD id - 346,240,298
    Marvel FF - Lil bill12
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I have studied Klaus' examples thoroughly.

This discussion has been closed.