As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Unions] Time to get Fired...up?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Somehow this isn't picking up any local news that I've seen, but I'm sure there will be clients impacted that will be up my ass about their networks not working.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Telus did that back in the mid 2000's in Canada, the other parts of the union through the call centers workers under the bus hard so I wouldn't have my hopes up if I was them.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Of course they fire him. The video's gone fucking viral all over the Internet, but if they fire him, they can feebly pretend that they retain some pretense of their (wo)manhood in shambles. :rotate:

He works for a different company. The company that he worked for fired him for advocating unionizing and striking

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Of course they fire him. The video's gone fucking viral all over the Internet, but if they fire him, they can feebly pretend that they retain some pretense of their (wo)manhood in shambles. :rotate:

He works for a different company. The company that he worked for fired him for advocating unionizing and striking

I'm pretty sure that's illegal?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

I'm pretty sure that's illegal?

It is but they can just say it was because of the language and if they have a policy against it there is no way to prove it.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop. Somehow this isn't picking up any local news that I've seen, but I'm sure there will be clients impacted that will be up my ass about their networks not working.

A deal has apparently been reached.

Including restoring 128 days of seniority to the union members who took part in the last strike.

Statement put up on the Facebook group about 15 minutes ago
    Dear Sisters and Brothers,

Today our IBEW and CWA bargaining teams reached tentative agreements with Consolidated Communications. After four months of often contentious bargaining, we have reached agreements that respond to our members' and our customers' needs as well as the profound changes impacting the telecommunications industry.

While there are some differences between the CWA and IBEW agreements, both maintain high quality affordable health care and good local jobs for the life of the agreements. Both agreements provide enhanced retirement benefits through a new 401K savings plan. In addition, the agreements restore 128 days of seniority to members who held the line during our historic strike of 2014-15.

Right now, our teams are working on detailed summaries of the agreements, which we will distribute as soon as possible. We are scheduling meetings in all three states where we will summarize the agreements, answer your questions, and conduct ratification votes.

We want to thank every member who showed solidarity with your co-workers and support for our bargaining teams throughout this process. Once again, we showed the company and our communities what it means to be union strong.

So for the moment it sounds like Consolidated customers will not experience any disruption in services.

Yet.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Save those "awesomes", folks.

Things are looking dire by the light of day.

Current read on the TA is that IBEW jobs are safe, but the unions have agreed to let the company remove/outsource 55% of CWA jobs.

Right now, it's all up to the members to ratify, but the current feeling is that the IBEW members will do so, and since they are the majority of the union presence, the contract will be accepted, despite the CWA members voting against.

There's a lot of mourning happening with my friends right now.

For most of them, they've been in this job for almost 20 years. They've survived contracts, down sizing, restructures, and being sold a few times.

But right now it looks like Consolidated has managed to bust the unions up, and good local jobs are going to suffer.

• Options
    That takes me back.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yay, people were already so happy with their customer service! This will be an improvement, I'm sure.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Yay, people were already so happy with their customer service! This will be an improvement, I'm sure.

Yeah. Sorry about that.

Sounds like they'll be keeping all the offices open, just reducing staff levels.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Not called yet, but Missouri has a right to work law on the ballot. It's losing about 2 to 1. 36% reporting.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Annnnnd it's dead.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Getting very annoyed at my husband's union currently, dc37, in NYC. They are endorsing terrible politicians for nys Senate. Spoiler for boring detail.
    One is Marty Golden. He killed somebody by driving recklessly, but because he only broke one law when he did it, he got away with it. And he continues to drive recklessly... He essentially got rid of speed cameras around schools because he kept getting tickets from them. But, I guess he hold grudges, and is in a pretty safe seat, so the union won't go against him. I don't know why they endorse him, though.
    Another one is not so clear-cut. Marisol Alcantara. She is, by many metrics, progressive and pro- union. However, she is a part of the IDC, splinter Democrats who caucus with the Republicans, so the Republicans can control the Senate. She is IDC because she originally entered the race late, didn't get the money she wanted from the Democrats, didn't want to put in actual work, so got money from the IDC instead.
    Because the Republicans are in charge of the nys Senate, good bills didn't get put up, but no one technically voted against them? So she can say she voted progressive.
    This is in the weeds of state politics, and it's not even my union. But I am just so upset. My husband is already upset at the union for prioritizing older members at the expense of younger ones on issues he cares about.
    We want to be pro- union, and really care about many labor issues. Just.. our actual unions are making it difficult.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    That's not uncommon in my experience. Some shops end up as just weird parallel secondary power structures to local politics. The solution is usually the same, get involved and push for change. It's just double frustrating to feel sold out by your advocates. I've been there, there wasn't really a solution for me beyond find another job. Probably not really something to count on being viable.

I'm not pro-union. I'm pro-worker representation. While that usually means I like organized labor, sometimes they're just as bad. SEIU is a good example of that, depending on the local you're in.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Getting very annoyed at my husband's union currently, dc37, in NYC. They are endorsing terrible politicians for nys Senate. Spoiler for boring detail.
    One is Marty Golden. He killed somebody by driving recklessly, but because he only broke one law when he did it, he got away with it. And he continues to drive recklessly... He essentially got rid of speed cameras around schools because he kept getting tickets from them. But, I guess he hold grudges, and is in a pretty safe seat, so the union won't go against him. I don't know why they endorse him, though.
    Another one is not so clear-cut. Marisol Alcantara. She is, by many metrics, progressive and pro- union. However, she is a part of the IDC, splinter Democrats who caucus with the Republicans, so the Republicans can control the Senate. She is IDC because she originally entered the race late, didn't get the money she wanted from the Democrats, didn't want to put in actual work, so got money from the IDC instead.
    Because the Republicans are in charge of the nys Senate, good bills didn't get put up, but no one technically voted against them? So she can say she voted progressive.
    This is in the weeds of state politics, and it's not even my union. But I am just so upset. My husband is already upset at the union for prioritizing older members at the expense of younger ones on issues he cares about.
    We want to be pro- union, and really care about many labor issues. Just.. our actual unions are making it difficult.

Fuck the IDC. Just like repeat that like a billion times and you'll get a sliver of how much I hate that shit. IIRC they technically dissolved but I still want all those folks out of the democratic party.

Bonus to me moving a county over: I get to vote against that fucker Valesky who was also part of the IDC. I'm really hoping they can successfully primary his ass.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular

Unions are democratic. Make sure he votes for union leadership that aligns with his priorities.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote: »

Unions are democratic. Make sure he votes for union leadership that aligns with his priorities.

Though if a majority of the union is in the older group that is getting priority treatment and they've been infected with the IGMFY virus...

The two track contracts where older members (or some other sub-group of the labor) get better cash/benefits/security are basically the protected group willing to destroy, or at least severely damage, the union in return for making sure they get paid. Eventually the older members quit/retire/die, and all that's left are the youngs with the weaker contract. At which point the company moves as much as they can to a right-to-work state or overseas.

It's a kinder and gentler version of paying half the working class to kill the other half.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

Though if a majority of the union is in the older group that is getting priority treatment and they've been infected with the IGMFY virus...

The two track contracts where older members (or some other sub-group of the labor) get better cash/benefits/security are basically the protected group willing to destroy, or at least severely damage, the union in return for making sure they get paid. Eventually the older members quit/retire/die, and all that's left are the youngs with the weaker contract. At which point the company moves as much as they can to a right-to-work state or overseas.

It's a kinder and gentler version of paying half the working class to kill the other half.

This is exactly like the Kansas school board thing. Democratic institutions don't work when you don't engage with them like a lot of younger folks don't because they think it is pointless. In the case that you lined out it should continue right up till the day that second track folks have 51% of the vote. At that point just sell all the boomers down the river by zero-ing track 1 retirement benefits and incorporate a rule into the union charter that two track systems are a non-option.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I noticed a lot of private unions doing that in the early 2000's in Canada.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Too many American unions operate about like you'd expect organized labor to act in a nation that has abandoned the ideology behind them - corrupt organizations where everyone is out for themselves. You can't have solidarity if none of the members believe in it.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Too many American unions operate about like you'd expect organized labor to act in a nation that has abandoned the ideology behind them - corrupt organizations where everyone is out for themselves. You can't have solidarity if none of the members believe in it.

Being your brother's keeper isn't exactly a cornerstone of modern American culture (and, for that matter, Boomer culture, who are the voting majority in most unions), so, unfortunately, in a lot of cases you're going to see that IGMFY virus infecting a lot of their actions.

Also the forces of capital effectively control this country, thus it is easy for them to write national policy in such a way that they can convince one half of the poor to kill the other half without having to do much convincing.

• Options
    The thing that really got me was how adamant the senior employees were that we all make sure we support the union while they were busy fucking us over at every turn.

• Options
    abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Just popping in to say that my wife and I did our parts in MO yesterday despite neither of us being in fields that typically have unions. Super happy to see "Right to Work" so thoroughly trounced in what has been an increasingly red state the last few elections. Also makes me much more hopeful for November's results.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    It's not even the retirement tracks. NY has a paid family leave law that began in January that covered everyone... that wasn't a public sector employee. NYC's mayor made it cover all non union members right away. From what I understand, unions could have signed into the benefit of they paid into it like the rest of NYers. But the unions wanted the benefit without paying, so are waiting until the new contracts. I think the teacher's union has it now, but most public employees still don't. The older members don't mind waiting, but younger members starting families are hurt by this.
    My husband is very active in his union, but it is very large. Since many of the bigger policy meetings are outside work hours, he attends very few so he can be home with his family.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I work as an employee of a state university in a right to work state. The amount of bullshit that the state and the university system gets away with is amazing.

My favorite example is during the aftermath of '08, the governor gave the university system a mandate to reduce the number of high-level administrators to cut costs. The university system responded by classifying all the administrative assistants as "high level administrators" and gutting their ranks. A year later, you had administrators making $100k plus spending all their time filling out office supply orders.

As bad as unions can be, it is nowhere near as bad as the type of Calvinball you get when labor has zero power.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    hawkbox wrote: »
    The thing that really got me was how adamant the senior employees were that we all make sure we support the union while they were busy fucking us over at every turn.

Congratulations, you've had the boomer experience. Now get revenge by never buying a house.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Most of the time it's not that explicit is the thing. It doesn't get passed that way.

Usually it's "Everyone hired after this date goes on the new, worse system" so there's literally no one with skin in the game on that side and no actual people being directly hurt. It's just everyone looking out for all the employees benefits.

Cause why it happens is the employer comes back with "We can't afford this, so cuts have to be made" and theoretical cuts to theoretical future employees are easy and, in the short term, bloodless. And also extremely cost effective.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Most of the time it's not that explicit is the thing. It doesn't get passed that way.

Usually it's "Everyone hired after this date goes on the new, worse system" so there's literally no one with skin in the game on that side and no actual people being directly hurt. It's just everyone looking out for all the employees benefits.

Cause why it happens is the employer comes back with "We can't afford this, so cuts have to be made" and theoretical cuts to theoretical future employees are easy and, in the short term, bloodless. And also extremely cost effective.

In our unions case this is when we come correct and present the cities balance sheet and point out they are doing just fine and in fact are running 1.5 mil under budget for our department alone.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Big win for Disney unions today, amidst a pretty heated battle over wages, and the 1k bonus that was announced earlier this year

http://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2018/08/25/historic-settlement-reached--disney-to-pay-minimum-wage-of--15-by-2021

15/hr minimum by the end of 2021, while raising the pay scale for everyone accordingly, even if you were making over that amount already

1k bonus will be paid to these union cast

no major benefits concessions as of yet, but we'll see what the final contract says

I work with a lot of union disney cast, and this is huge for them. I expect it'll be voted on pretty close to unanimously. And I'm already seeing non-union cast wondering what this will mean for them. Possibly transferring to union roles if they aren't given commensurate raises as a result.

EDIT: It is worth noting that this is only for ONE of the Disney unions, and only in Florida so far. But I fully expect the rest to jump on board once their contracts are up for re-negotiation.

Javen on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    As I recall Disney is still hard balling in their Anaheim location.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1098451002

Judge rules against Trump's executive orders attempting to change union contracts

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/1098451002

Judge rules against Trump's executive orders attempting to change union contracts
    Just a reminder of why it's so important Democrats take the Senate as soon as they can, so they can spike the confirmation of judges like Gorsuch that'll do shit like reject worker's rights.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    The Oklahoma teachers walkout has just ended after 9 days. They got a pay raise and some taxes were raised to cover it, but it could end up being mostly negated because the oil and gas companies resent having to pay any taxes and are already planning a ballot measure to remove them. We'll see how it goes.

In followup, many of the OK legislators who attacked the teachers got handed pink slips as they lost either their primary outright or in a runoff:
    The strikers were pleased, but unappeased. They promised to make lawmakers pay for refusing to finance broader investments in education with larger tax hikes. “We got here by electing the wrong people to office,” Alicia Priest, president of the Oklahoma Education Association, told the New York Times in April. “We have the opportunity to make our voices heard at the ballot box.” Hamm and his fellow gas giants (almost certainly) made an equal and opposite vow — that those few Republicans who held the line against tax hikes of any kind would not regret their bravery.

Last night, Oklahoma’s GOP primary season came to an end — and the teachers beat the billionaires in a rout. Nineteen Republicans voted against raising taxes to increase teacher pay last spring; only four will be on the ballot this November.

Organization is the force multiplier.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    The Oklahoma teachers walkout has just ended after 9 days. They got a pay raise and some taxes were raised to cover it, but it could end up being mostly negated because the oil and gas companies resent having to pay any taxes and are already planning a ballot measure to remove them. We'll see how it goes.

In followup, many of the OK legislators who attacked the teachers got handed pink slips as they lost either their primary outright or in a runoff:
    The strikers were pleased, but unappeased. They promised to make lawmakers pay for refusing to finance broader investments in education with larger tax hikes. “We got here by electing the wrong people to office,” Alicia Priest, president of the Oklahoma Education Association, told the New York Times in April. “We have the opportunity to make our voices heard at the ballot box.” Hamm and his fellow gas giants (almost certainly) made an equal and opposite vow — that those few Republicans who held the line against tax hikes of any kind would not regret their bravery.

Last night, Oklahoma’s GOP primary season came to an end — and the teachers beat the billionaires in a rout. Nineteen Republicans voted against raising taxes to increase teacher pay last spring; only four will be on the ballot this November.

Organization is the force multiplier.

I don't think I have ever been aroused by primary election results before.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Continued followup: the NEA (National Education Association) just did a count of teachers running for office: 554, of which 56% are women and 92% are running as Democrats. There haven't been previous counts of how many teachers have done this before, but the consensus answer is "nowhere near this many."

• Options
    My friends up in Maine are now choosing to either accept the buyout or stick around and wait for the next wave of layoffs.

The office is now down to the "magic" 55% number the company was looking for. With the rest of the work going to other states.

The new workers have not been trained, neither have their trainers.

So if you're in Maine, New Hampshire, or Vermont, your phone service from Consolidated is going to suck even more for a while.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tesla finds out the hard way that the CEO shouldn't be tweeting about illegal anti-unionization activity:
    Tesla heads back to court later this month to continue a trial over allegations from the National Labor Relations Board that the automaker’s management violated federal labor laws. When both sides meet in court, they’ll duke it out over a new, potentially thorny legal issue that emerged in late August: a tweet from CEO Elon Musk.

The NLRB accused Musk last month of violating federal labor laws when he sent out a tweet in May that said his employees would lose their stock options if they organized a union. The agency asked a judge overseeing the ongoing case to allow the tweet allegation to be roped into it as well.

Tesla had sought to have the request dismissed. But on Tuesday, a judge sided with the NLRB, and said Tesla has to prepare to defend the NLRB’s allegation that Musk’s stock-option tweet violated the National Labor Relations Act by “interfering with, restraining, and coercing employees” involved in union activity protected under the law.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Nothing like getting sued for an 85 year old law.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.