As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Friday, June 13, 2014 - To P Or Not To P

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Thycho's incredulous stare is enhanced a thousand fold by femininity.

Fuck off and die.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Obviously the minimalist background is because all the budget and development time went towards research to unlock the great mysteries of these "wo-men", such as how they talk, walk, and jump.

forumsig.png
    A Dabble Of TheloniuskismesistercB557JusticeforPlutoCommander ZoomGoose!italianranmaSorceZilla360Caulk Bite 6The Word of Bird
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Obviously the minimalist background is because all the budget and development time went towards research to unlock the great mysteries of these "wo-men", such as how they talk, walk, and jump.

i hear that they had sell both the bench and the couch to fund this project.

A Dabble Of TheloniuskismesisterCommander ZoomGoose!Caulk Bite 6The Word of Bird
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Man, when I saw there were already 2 pages in the comic thread I was braced for something 'controversial.'

Instead, greatness.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    what is "the AC team", other than the guys who fixed my air condition

Assassin's Creed Unity, which includes the same male protagonist four times (essentially) in coop, which is what one of the multiply awesome'd posts in the thread is referencing. It could also be on the rampant speculation that the "Link" showed in the new Legend of Zelda trailer is in fact actually a female version (or something else, nobody knows).

FYI, he is confirmed to be Link

but maaaaaaaaan for that 24 hours when no one knew
    (deep down, everyone knew it was Link)

What's neat is that people very rarely refer to Link as though he's there, carrying a conversation. Without needing pronouns, New Androgynous Link could totally be either sex in the player's mind.

Yo @kismesister did you design Gabbie and Tyche with this strip in mind, or was it fanart that was noticed by senpai? ;D

Oh brilliant
  • metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    Some completely uncalled-for comment mentioning feminism in a strongly implied negative connotation. Also, something else infuriatingly condescending shrouded in pseudo-intellectualism. I don't know.

Just... wow.

However, I will admit that though (upon further inspection) the conversation is exactly like it would have been had Tycho and Gabe been present, the fact that they were ladies somehow made the verbiage more annoying. Does that make me a bad person?

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
    hopewellZilla360
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    However, I will admit that though (upon further inspection) the conversation is exactly like it would have been had Tycho and Gabe been present, the fact that they were ladies somehow made the verbiage more annoying.

Why would their gender matter?

DedwrekkaWraith260JusticeforPlutoQuidCommander ZoomAegerijoshofalltradesCaulk Bite 6The Word of Bird
  • IamdudeIamdude Registered User regular
    I'm voting that we get Gabbie and Tyche randomly from now on. Like, they'll throw a die or something and each side is a different combination of either, but, and this is the important part, it's never referenced in the strip itself. Like they either don't care or don't notice.

kismesistermetroidkillahWraith260BobbleJusticeforPlutoQuidCommander ZoomAegerisoozerellaShadowhopeTofystedethAlbino BunnyZilla360Caulk Bite 6The Word of Bird
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Now I want to see Brad and Carl, or whatever the swapped wives would be called.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    LowlanderThe Word of Bird
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Iamdude wrote: »
    I'm voting that we get Gabbie and Tyche randomly from now on. Like, they'll throw a die or something and each side is a different combination of either, but, and this is the important part, it's never referenced in the strip itself. Like they either don't care or don't notice.

I sort of like this idea in the same vein as the other comics they've done over the years with bizarre background elements or settings they never comment on, like Gabe and Tycho talk about EA while emerging from alien egg sacs.

kismesistermetroidkillahcB557Commander ZoomZilla360Caulk Bite 6The Word of Bird
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The best part is Ubisoft's clarification that "it is like Watch_Dogs" in terms of co-op, trying to explain why all the avatars look male (on your screen, you look like the main protagonist, but co-op buddies are random models to set them apart).

Which would have been a reasonable explanation, except that Watch_Dogs HAS female avatars for the random co-op buddies. They see themselves as Aiden on their screen, but co-op folks appear as random people with Aiden's signature trenchcoat.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    kismesisterdarleysam
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Horrible zipper placement is horrible.

Elucida
  • metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Djiem wrote: »

Because I heard it in my head in "valley girl" style. It fits with the way the discussion is written... and also "Diorblo" made me think- at first- that these two clearly had no idea what they were talking about.

Y'know... because girls don't play video games?

metroidkillah on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

Because I heard it in my head in "valley girl" style. It fits with the way the discussion is written... and also "Diorblo" made me think- as first- that these two clearly had no idea what they were talking about.

I've heard this from a couple of people now. It's weird to me.

Like, they're not have some fake-geek-girl style discussion. They're accurately talking about some technical and nitpicky shit.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    SmallLadyCuvisTheConquerorCaulk Bite 6The Word of Bird

Because I heard it in my head in "valley girl" style. It fits with the way the discussion is written... and also "Diorblo" made me think- at first- that these two clearly had no idea what they were talking about.

Is that a HoleDigger 9000 I see there?

BobbleCommander ZoomAegeriGoose!SmrtnikCaulk Bite 6darleysamThe Word of Bird
    edited June 2014
    Tycho freqently uses spellings like that in his newsposts... in the one for Wednesday's comic he referred to Gabe as "Gorbiriel." I think he just finds it humorous. I wouldn't read anything more into it.
    Aioua wrote: »

Because I heard it in my head in "valley girl" style. It fits with the way the discussion is written... and also "Diorblo" made me think- as first- that these two clearly had no idea what they were talking about.

I've heard this from a couple of people now. It's weird to me.

Like, they're not have some fake-geek-girl style discussion. They're accurately talking about some technical and nitpicky shit.

Well, the conversation is intentionally stupid in the sense that arguing about how many "P's" the respective consoles have in this way is kinda dumb... but yes, the stereotype "girl who doesn't play video games" if that was what they were going for wouldn't even know about the "P's" at all.

Gaslight on
    kismesisteritalianranmaThe Word of Bird
    "Diorblo" also makes sense when you watch the 4th Panel where they discuss their D3 strip. Mike and Jerry mock the dialogue and voice acting in the game.

The Word of Bird
    edited June 2014
    @Aioua: I would have appreciated it if you bolded the qualifier as well. That's important to the context and meaning of the thought being communicated.

As in: Though it seemed at first, due to what seemed a gross mispronunciation of a title for a game that actually exists, that they were merely regurgitating something they had heard; I quickly realized that they were making informed conversation about console specs.

The key to understanding is reading everything that's there, not just what stands out in your mind.
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Tycho freqently uses spellings like that in his newsposts... in the one for Wednesday's comic he referred to Gabe as "Gorbiriel." I think he just finds it humorous. I wouldn't read anything more into it.
    Right, and that's what I realized after the first panel.
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Is that a HoleDigger 9000 I see there?
    It's the latest model!

metroidkillah on
  • Oaka23Oaka23 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    I'm operating under the assumption that the gender swap just reflects a lack of Ps

Oaka23 on
    Oaka you magnificent bastard I am in love with you in a way that offends gods and men.
    Comic edits! And for prospective editors, some common panels and extra crap you can use!
    Crippl3italianranmaThe Word of Bird
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Iamdude wrote: »

oh! how about older comics re-drawn with Gabbie and Tyche!

kismesistercB557Andy JoeCaulk Bite 6
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    If you would see this conversation as being one way if delivered by a man and another, negative way if delivered by a woman I can confirm that is pretty much the dictionary definition of sexist. Having the self-awareness to realise that is a good sign.

SmallLadykismesisterzerzhulDedwrekkaWraith260admanbDjiemArbitraryDescriptorBobbleHeartlashcB557VyolynceAndy JoeJusticeforPlutoCommander ZoomQuidMegaMekEvigilantBloodySlothAegerisoozerellaSwashbucklerXXGoose!Arithon32italianranmaaunsophAlbino BunnyjoshofalltradesInquisitor77TychoCelchuuuZilla360Caulk Bite 6darleysamThe Word of Bird
  • The Beast of Yucca FlatsThe Beast of Yucca Flats Registered User regular
    Linktm wrote: »
    The explanation is somewhere in this very thread.

Yeah, but... who is kismesister? Just somebody with a tumblr? A PA staff member? A friend of Mike & Jerry's?

I'm sure all will be explained in the news post.

As shown in the Facebook posting for this strip, Mu, at http://kismesister.tumblr.com/, is a fan and the creator of Gabbie and Tyche.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The fact that it's been nearly two pages and there hasn't been any kind of negative freakout gives me hope for humanity.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    fightinfilipinodarleysamThe Word of Bird
    Gabbie and Tyche

I wish I could take credit for the awesome designs in today’s comic strip but I can’t. They were actually created by Kismesister and she draws them much better than I do. You can hit her tumblr to see more of her awesome work.

I’ve seen a few requests to just randomly use Gabbie and Tyche in strips. personally I think that would be pretty fun. The best part is Tycho doesn’t even have to know if I am going to do it when he writes up the script. It wasn’t until after we had this comic written that I decided to switch up the characters. So far the response has been super positive so I think you can expect to see them again in the future.

-Gabe out
    @kismesister

Wraith260ArbitraryDescriptorRhesus PositivecB557Andy JoeCommander ZoomQuidAegeriGoose!kimeTofystedethRehabfightinfilipinojoshofalltradesTychoCelchuuuZilla360Raiden333SmrtnikCaulk Bite 6darleysamThe Word of Bird
  • JuicesirJuicesir The Boy with the D&D Tattoo Registered User regular
    Gabbie and Tyche confirmed for canon. I haven't been this happy since Fionna and Cake. ^_^

AegeriNothingThe Word of Bird
    I for one love the idea of more Gabbie and Tyche!

The Word of Bird
  • LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Oaka23 wrote: »
    I'm operating under the assumption that the gender swap just reflects a lack of Ps

Honestly, I thought that was half the joke at first, and maybe it still is? A lot of sexual innuendo. "I follow the Ps. I go where the Ps are." (P being for Penis, for the kids at home) and then "That's not a gap. It's a crevice at best." (maybe referring to thigh gaps or crevice for vaginas?) and then the zipper-toe everyone seems to be seeing (I will say I saw a zipper first.)

It's funny how we're conditioned to view things differently based on who is saying it. So, while this comic is innocent when Gabe & Tycho are depicted, it suddenly can be viewed through this different lens once they're gender swapped.

Linktm on
    cB557italianranma
  • CybitCybit Merch Underling RedmondRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Gabbie and Tyche

I wish I could take credit for the awesome designs in today’s comic strip but I can’t. They were actually created by Kismesister and she draws them much better than I do. You can hit her tumblr to see more of her awesome work.

I’ve seen a few requests to just randomly use Gabbie and Tyche in strips. personally I think that would be pretty fun. The best part is Tycho doesn’t even have to know if I am going to do it when he writes up the script. It wasn’t until after we had this comic written that I decided to switch up the characters. So far the response has been super positive so I think you can expect to see them again in the future.

-Gabe out
    @kismesister

Someone check to make sure kismesister is still breathing after that post? :D

cB557DedwrekkaThe Word of Bird
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Linktm wrote: »
    It's funny how we're conditioned to view things differently based on who is saying it. So, while this comic is innocent when Gabe & Tycho are depicted, it suddenly can be viewed through this different lens once they're gender swapped.
    Because dammit, there's nothing gay about this!

cB557 on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Next comic is Gabe and Tycho talking about Smash Bros. in between deep, sensual kisses.

All this and more during Fangirl Appreciation Month

YL9WnCY.png
    ArbitraryDescriptorWraith260cB557QuidMegaMekadmanbfortyPolaritieitalianranmaAlbino BunnyjoshofalltradesSorceZilla360kismesisterCaulk Bite 6BobbleThe Word of Bird
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    also, Tyche's hair is the biggest.

cB557DedwrekkaJuicesirJam WarriorBobble
    also, Tyche's hair is the biggest.

It does kind of have a 1980's, do-not-light-a-match-nearby look to it.

Commander ZoomcB557Caulk Bite 6The Word of Bird
  • kismesisterkismesister Mu Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Oh good there's an entire newspost about me. From my favorite artist. My biggest inspiration. Singing my praises.

[ INTERNAL SCREAMING ]

PuddingpieWraith260DedwrekkaHahnsoo1Commander ZoomcB557Dark Raven XzerzhulRomanian My EscutcheonAegerisoozerellaHeartlashGoose!PolaritieCybitQuidAthenoritalianranmakimeCrippl3RehabdoomybearAlbino BunnyjoshofalltradesJusticeforPlutoZilla360Caulk Bite 6darleysamAndy JoestormbringerBobbleThe Word of Bird
    edited June 2014
    Oh good there's an entire newspost about me. From my favorite artist. My biggest inspiration. Singing my praises.

[ INTERNAL SCREAMING ]

There's another one by Tycho now.

Oh, and don't forget that Gabe's post had two links to your tumbler.

Dedwrekka on
    PuddingpiecB557The Word of Bird
  • PuddingpiePuddingpie Registered User regular
    edited June 2014

GOOD JOB! Love these designs. I think it'd be awesome if you ever went on Strip Search.

... and also "Diorblo" made me think- at first- that these two clearly had no idea what they were talking about.

See, I thought that we'd surreally entered one of those parallel universes where everything's the same but slightly different, where Gabe and Tycho are female and Diablo actually is called Diorblo.

Puddingpie on
    Commander ZoomGaslightfightinfilipinoThe Word of Bird
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    Today is full of things you didn't know you wanted:

FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    SmallLadycB557kismesisterDedwrekkaDark Raven XWraith260soozerellaGoose!VyolyncePolaritieCybitjoshofalltradesZilla360BobbleThe Word of Bird
    I'd say "one step at a time", but they were already in the Rainslick DLC

The Word of Bird
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I really want to pronounce it Gabbie and Teesh.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It's Greek. Hard 'ch'. Ty-kee.

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I know, and she needs luck to keep all that hair under control. I'm still kind of partial to Teesh, though.