As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    tumblr_nu781jmOVw1uwlmkuo1_r1_1280.jpg

The Prowler book got a good guffaw from me.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I love the X-Men but I'm kind of worn out on that idea.

I think the creative teams are pretty crackerjack though, so I'll probably still read. Even if Lemire's book gets bogged down in Inhumans stuff that I don't care for, I've got high hopes that Hopeless and Bunn will have more of a sandbox with their titles.

Honestly though, even though I still intend to pick up a bunch of titles, something about ANAD Marvel falls flat for me the same way DCYou kind of did. It just feels like we went through this recently. And so many of the titles I'm excited for are either essentially continuations of books that have been interrupted a bunch of times (Thor, Squirrel Girl, Ultimates), or new creative teams that have been somewhat awkwardly placed on books that lost high-profile creative teams to Image (Hawkeye, Captain America). Other stuff feels like it's happening just because characters were lying around (New Avengers, Squadron Supreme). And let's not even talk about how difficult it's been for Marvel to get Iron Man to work as a solo title.

Out of all of it, the only books that feel explosively big and full of potential to me are ANAD Avengers and A-Force. I wish there was more stuff here that aimed for that feeling. Almost every title during the first wave of Marvel NOW made me feel that way.

they need to step off the melodrama of species wide catastrophes and do a xbook about the team and the adventures- hell focus on a mix of old and young and teaching them.. Ala the powergirl run or the harley book. keep it light character stuff. Not the new mutant aids/ apocalypse is back/ mutants are being wronged every second of every day.

I'm mean opinion and all.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    That's basically Spider-Man and the X-Men, right?

(Which I didn't even know was a thing, until I saw a months-old issue at my shop.)

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Dennis Hopeless doing teen X-Men and Bunn turning his excellent Magneto series into a team title will keep me interested enough in the X-Men for now to try out the flagship title (plus I just like Lemire's work more often than not, although he's not a favorite of mine).

And I've heard good things about Spider-Man and the X-Men, but it was only a 6 issue mini. Hopeless's All-New X-Men seems like it will be filling the same role, though.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Apparently Alpha Flight is going to be in the new Captain Marvel book.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/lbcc-captain-marvel-flies-high-with-butters-fazekas-anka

As happy as I am to see Alpha Flight, I'm so worried they are just there to get wiped out yet again by something to show how powerful it is.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Apparently Alpha Flight is going to be in the new Captain Marvel book.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/lbcc-captain-marvel-flies-high-with-butters-fazekas-anka

As happy as I am to see Alpha Flight, I'm so worried they are just there to get wiped out yet again by something to show how powerful it is.

How many time's have they been 'brought back to life' to have at least 50% of them get murdered horribly within an issue or two?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Socialized medicine!

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

Ta-Nehisi Coates is your new writer on Black Panther, and it's incredibly cool

• Options
    Cool.

I'm not sure I get the Doom reference in his tweet though.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Cool.

I'm not sure I get the Doom reference in his tweet though.

MILEY, WHAT'S GOOD?!

https://youtu.be/SgBIBlzmrRE?t=85

(Jump to 1:25, since I can't embed the start time.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Doom is always better than Black Panther, this has been hella established forever and will never ever change.

It seems Coates actually reads comics and digs Hickman, so if he can just sort of copy that approach, it should be a good series, more like Priest, less like Hudlin. As long as it's monthly though, because this Secret Wars delay has been killing my interest in everything ANAD more and more.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    GUYS DID YOU HEAR THAT

Oh

You did hear about Coates writing Black Panther

Carry on

• Options
    Coates on Black Panther should rule. I do worry a little about the awkwardness of transferring from writing essentially long-form news pieces and personal essays to writing monthly comics, but I have a lot of faith in Marvel editorial to help him nail the pacing and the amount of dialogue and things like that.

In the meantime, this makes me even more excited for Ewing's Ultimates.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2015

Boo for not linking the replies:

Kevin Stevens @kevdog: @tanehisicoates Will you deal with the pressing issues of Wakandan-on-Wakandan crime? Unless they solve that, nothing else can be done.
    Ta-Nehisi Coates ‏@tanehisicoates: Yes. Yes I will.

Kwame Opam @kwameopam: @tanehisicoates will Storm and BP reconcile in your run?
    Ta-Nehisi Coates ‏@tanehisicoates: Yes--to discuss the meaning of feminist super-sherodom in a postmodernist world which commodifies mutant bodies.
    Aspeeni @aspeeni: @tanehisicoates @kwameopam if you are going to include Storm, do so with the utmost respect and authenticity to her character.
    Ta-Nehisi Coates @tanehisicoates: I see what you men. Make her light-skinded with a blonde weave. Gotcha.
    Man Bites Politician @manbitespol: @tanehisicoates No, no, no. Make her African and badass.
    Ta-Nehisi Coates ‏@tanehisicoates: Ok. I understand now. Charlize Theron as Storm. Understood.

hippofant on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Honestly, there's nothing quite as entertaining as educated, good-spirited shitposting, which is basically what his timeline is filled with at the moment. (The fact that he gives as good as he gets helps too.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    saw totp image

wasn't really expecting to enjoy it

wound up enjoying it
    Wakanda has a new protector: America!

ahahaha

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Impenetrable X-Men fucking killed me, I laughed so hard.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    real talk though I would read a Superior Spider Woman book

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Marvel's been sending out postcards hinting at the next big event for Spring 2016. Can you guess what it is?

• Options
    Ugh. What did I just read. Roll to disbelieve.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Is there some sign at Marvel's office like the iconic Notre Dame football sign above the door that says "Write Tony like a villain today!"

• Options
    I can see how somebody would think it's a good idea. I mean, Civil War 1.0 is a major plot point of Captain America III With A Vengeance, after all. It's just that whoever voiced that idea should be nailed to the Tree of Woe and left for the buzzards as a warning for others.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    I just wonder if Brevoort made fun of DC for Dark Knight III, and will now say how this is totally different.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I just wonder if Brevoort made fun of DC for Dark Knight III, and will now say how this is totally different.

I've rarely seen him shit on DC directly and rather just talks about the business aspect (and sometimes how he feels as a fan) for their stuff.

He's honestly nicer about DC than he is about some of the people who write in.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    So my quiet fervent hope that Secret Wars, as a literal ending and rebooting of the multiverse, would mean an end to the incessant event comics for a couple years, maybe with major shakeups that are limited to single lines...that was just a fucking pipe dream, huh? Too much to hope for the marketing people to not get on editorial's case before the previous event is even over?

Joy.

• Options
    Event books are going to continue as long as they make sales. I don't see that ending any time soon.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Event books are going to continue as long as they make sales. I don't see that ending any time soon.

Civil war 2 event signage/adverts showed up on reddit for 2016 February.

i shit you not.

Secret wars is still dragging on and they are talking next big thing.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    On one hand, if it's being written by Mark Waid and the other ANAD Avengers-line writers, it could be good.

On the other hand, I felt like Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers just redid the biggest elements from that story in a much more impressive way, so it's sad to see it being rehashed again already.

I still haven't given my ANAD pull to my shop yet, and I haven't read any Secret Wars stuff since August...

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Events are the industry's way of saying "Hey Nate, we heard you spend too much on comics, take a little break".

I went back and read Civil War (as I've mentioned before I just started reading comics again a few years ago) and I didn't find it nearly as terrible as folks here had made it sound. I thought the concepts in it were interesting at least.

I'm not sure I want another, but I didn't really feel the anger towards it that more long time readers seemed to have. I do worry that some of the new books I want to start reading will just be getting some momentum only to have it lost by the event.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    So #6 - this SW reminds me of that final crisis. precious little that fits together or makes sense is happening in the Main book. the side books apparently (or even off panel) are where the action is.

spoilers
    the two Reeds was great. the maker's treatment of his older self was very interesting....
    the two spidermans was great.

heres the thing (no spoilers). Cool things that happen off panel and we get like a glimpse of the cool thing.... smash cut against the same in quick hits.... this does not make a good story. Its a mess.

And we are waiting an other month or so for copy pasted art? (the maker was copy pasted from the ultimates at least 3 times in this issue. Like literally photo-shopped in.)

Also iron man 1 is in the wild. the end may spoil secret wars in some way. So beware. Its the below....
    A model pretty and sans armor Victor Von Doom greets Tony in Latveria on the last page....

mojojoeo on
  • Options
    Iron Man #1 was fine. Worth checking out the second issue although it might not last on the pull list following this arc. One thing that kept popping into my head though was how it was sort of a grab bag of a bunch of other story ideas from other series or relaunch points not only in Iron Man's history, but also other Ultimate or MCU stuff. The stuff with the villain felt like it was Bendis using his USM template from the first series, somewhere in the latter Bagley run, the Tony stuff felt like something from Fraction's run, there's whiffs of Waid's FF run here, and you have the usual Bendis trope of bringing in the new girlfriend for his run who is totes better than anyone else previously along with a pretty shoehorned MCU mandated sidekick (Friday).

One thing that seems all but outright written now in every issue is that there is not going to be any real wall between the movies and comics now, whatever the movies decide to do the comics will have to follow suit. And in doing so you have to look at this less like the Tony who was the brilliant man who saved the universe with the Illuminati, and more the Tony Stark who drove off into the sunset in Age of Ultron. It's a really hard downgrade to his genius here to play off a joke and minimize his futurist zeitgeist of the last ten years.

But as for the basic story structure, it's a normal setup first issue, although hella light on the actual Iron Man. There isn't even any real use of the pew pew lasers or something to really show off the armor (which doesn't look as good as the cover makes it look), and the last page reveal seems like it's more a bait and switch.

Again, it's not bad. But if you've read other Bendis works, or other Iron Man works of the past few years, it just feels like a clip-show of those individual things.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Iron Man #1 was fine. Worth checking out the second issue although it might not last on the pull list following this arc. One thing that kept popping into my head though was how it was sort of a grab bag of a bunch of other story ideas from other series or relaunch points not only in Iron Man's history, but also other Ultimate or MCU stuff. The stuff with the villain felt like it was Bendis using his USM template from the first series, somewhere in the latter Bagley run, the Tony stuff felt like something from Fraction's run, there's whiffs of Waid's FF run here, and you have the usual Bendis trope of bringing in the new girlfriend for his run who is totes better than anyone else previously along with a pretty shoehorned MCU mandated sidekick (Friday).

One thing that seems all but outright written now in every issue is that there is not going to be any real wall between the movies and comics now, whatever the movies decide to do the comics will have to follow suit.

You know, aside from stuff like Thor being a woman and Sam being Captain America.

Unless you were just talking about Iron Man in particular.

• Options
    Iron Man in particular (although after Ragnarok and Civil War I can see them making lady Thor and making FalCap in the films).

The world only knows Tony now through the movies, so he's smart, but not liquid metal smart anymore or create a dyson sphere smart anymore. And they know Friday now, so make her a kawAIi (boom that's brilliant).

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Bah. Spider-Gwen is going to have a crossover with Silk and Spider-Woman.

Thought one of the benefits of it being an alternate universe title would be being able to avoid getting bogged down in stuff like that.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Spider-Gwen will be AU?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Spider-Gwen is going to have a crossover with Silk and Spider-Woman.

Bah. Thought one of the benefits of it being an alternate universe title would be being able to avoid getting dragged down in stuff like that.

Well, given that she was created in a multiverse event story and has known about the multiverse for her entire existence -1 comic, its really not a surprise that she's going to get involved in crossover shenanigans with the 616-verse.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Iron Man #1 felt like a big step backwards for the character, to me

I wish they'd stop giving Bendis books that deserve writers who want to explore high concept, futurist, technologist stuff. He's a great writer when he actually writes what he does well; street level crime books.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Spider-Gwen will be AU?

Yes, she always has been and will continue to be.