As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

• Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    I think Steve's father was never really shown or talked about until Remender's run, which is also where he was first portrayed as abusive, but I could be wrong.

I think it was mentioned earlier (Earth X, maybe? I know it was before Civil War 1.0), but I think you may be right that it wasn't made a big deal until Remender's run.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    So Tom Brevoort told a story in this week's Axel-in-Charge column about another creative team before Brubaker and Epting pitching a story about Bucky coming back from the dead somehow

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/axel-in-charge-brevoort-talks-captain-americas-shocking-controversial-twist/pageno=2
    The story that I tell over and over again, particularly recently because the "Civil War" movie came out, was that a year or two before Ed Brubaker came onto "Captain America" and we did the "Winter Soldier" story, there was another creative team and another editorial team who were working on "Captain America" who proposed that they would bring Bucky back. I was dead-set against it -- I said, "this does not work, this is terrible." [Former Editor-in-Chief] Joe Quesada and I were at a meeting about something else, and Joe liked the idea of Bucky coming back -- I don't know if he specifically liked every beat of what was being proposed, or even necessarily knew every beat of what was being proposed, but we started to talk about it, and as we talked about it, our voices got louder and louder and louder, until we were shouting at one another. Not in an angry way, but in a passionate way as we argued our points of view. That story, in the end, did not come to fruition.

I've never actually heard this story before, and now I'm really curious what the pitch was and who pitched it.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Judging by the timeline if Quesada was EiC, it was either:

-John Ney Reiber, the guy who launched Marvel Knights Captain America (there was a story called "Ice" which could have been used there)
    -Robert Morales (The Truth writer), who I don't think it was him because his story he wanted to do was Captain America being the VP candidate to a John Kerry stand-in
    -Robert Kirkman who had his little Disassembled story.....maybe?

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    So...anyone else read Civil War 2?
    Well, I suppose Tony has a good reason. I wonder where does it go from here.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

So just like the first one, then.
    Haven't read 2 yet myself actually, I'll reserve serious judgement for when I have.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »

So just like the first one, then.
    Haven't read 2 yet myself actually, I'll reserve serious judgement for when I have.
    Actually I don't see how they're gonna redeem Carol's stance after what happened. I mean, yeah these kind of things happen but man.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    This is such a weak, marketing designed plot as presented to hang a civil war split on. It's been a while since I saw Marquez's art and it's really nice and there's enough variety here with the different characters to show it off even if Carol's hair looks dumber and dumber, but Gambit called, he wants his look back, new Inhuman Layla Miller Poochie a zing.

Actual storyline stuff from issue #1.
    seeing the future is great except for when it isn't, and things happen while dealing with that threat that change the future. Well fucking duh.

Tony's position makes sense in that we don't need the future spoiled. South Park explained this well enough already. It's a simple constant, yet the way they make some of the heroes in the little party take umbrage with Tony at that feels very forced, particularly Carol. You know you went with him lockstep in Civil War, right? You don't really get to play both sides if a writer genuinely wanted to be objective here.

But to have everything hinge on Rhodey's death feels insanely forced so Tony's now the irrational one this time around because they don't frame his argument around "why don't we just call everyone to fight the big threat when this loser Inhuman warns us, that way total overpowering so no one dies?" or even a more hands off approach in "we don't interfere with what can happen, only what will happen", and instead have him lash out because whenever someone dies fighting a bad guy it's now at the leader's feet. Which is just lazy, as lazy as remembering Rhodey and Carol are/were a couple so they'll try and hang that to bolster Carol's feels.

Then they use She-Hulk (she won't die, terrible cliffhanger tease) as a prop for Carol to keep using Ulysses for no real reason than to just be a prop. When she awakens later on in the series they'll probably try and ham fistedly connect it to her little section of issue #0, somehow (that will be like JMS' FF story).

As bad as they made Tony's side in the first Civil War, at least they started with a reasonable starting point. The fact that Carol has no real response to things like "what about when we're told you're going to do something and you haven't even thought it yet" to just go "depends" and then have some forced stare down with Tony, really just fuck and get it over with.

And playing the Goliath game from Civil War I, my bet is on Hellstrom shows up prominently for no real reason, so he's probably going to play a bigger part or be another sacrificial lamb somehow.

• Options
    Blah blah blah Civil War II nonsense...meanwhile, in the real world:

I've actually been picking up the new Punisher series and it's very solid. The Punisher tends to get a bit silly depending on who's doing the writing, but these are some well-done first two issues. Has me wanting to pick up issue #3, and that hasn't happened in a bit. It's refreshing to see Steve Dillon illustrating Frank Castle again - some folks don't like his style because it's a bit too clean, but I've always thought it worked well.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    I don't dislike Dillon's art because it's clean, I dislike it because he draws basically the same ugly face on everybody.

Anyhow, the new Moon Knight series continues to be weird and interesting.

Everybody should check out Nighthawk too. David Walker is a really good writer.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Yeah Dillon's art isn't for me
    Everyone has the same really ugly face

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

Aunt May and Peter Parker
    110.jpg

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Aunt May and Peter Parker
    110.jpg

It mostly worked for Preacher since half the characters seemed to be in.. related.
    But otherwise, I don't think it works for humans. Same issue I have with Bachalo.

• Options
    Bachalo's art was fantastic back in the 90s. I mean, go back and read Death: The Time of Your Life or his work on Generation X, it's great stuff. His style has just kind of devolved since then.

Kind of like JRJR, actually, except JRJR was best in the 80s.

• Options
    huh, good call. I had forgotten he had done those. I guess it's just post 2000 (give or take) Bachalo I dislike.

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Read a whole bunch of X-23 stuff on Unlimited in the last two days. Really enjoying it. Any recommendable group stuff that uses her for more than a cameo?

• Options
    You should read New X-Men (2004) #20-46 and X-Force (2008) #1-28.

• Options

Ahh hmm, it looks like the 2004 run starts with X-men 157, so you're pointing me toward what would be ~176 for that one?

And thanks!

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Short version: Search for 'Yost'
    Long version: It sounds like you're looking at the previous version by Grant Morrison, that I understand to be quite good in its own right, but doesn't feature X-23. The volume you are looking for started as New X-Men: Academy X, before it dropped the subtitle after the 'House of M' event. It's at this point that X-23 joined the cast along with the writers who created her, Craig Kyle and Chris Yost. If you want to read Academy X, it would give you backstory on several characters you'll be reading about and also give the opening of the Yost/Kyle run a bit of extra weight.

• Options
    Bobble wrote: »

Ahh hmm, it looks like the 2004 run starts with X-men 157, so you're pointing me toward what would be ~176 for that one?

And thanks!

Huh? No, start here: http://marvel.com/comics/issue/3059/new_x-men_2004_20

• Options
    Yeah I consulted wikipedia and figured out the naming convention with the New X-men shortly after the post. Found my girl.

Maybe I'm a bad person for laughing, but Laura's exchange with her new roommate killed me.
    You are familiar with my home?

Yes. I have killed in Afghanistan.

Only recently started reading comics thanks to the Unlimited free month that got me hooked, but her adventures in babysitting is probably my favorite comic alongside The Doctor Steps Out and the Fraction Hawkeye run.

• Options
    Civil War II #2 was the most decompressed waste of an issue of a story I've read in a long time hidden behind Bendisspeak. All that pretty art is being wasted on nothing, and unless you read the recap summary you wouldn't have any sort of conclusion to the cliffhanger from the last issue. I can see why they're teasing issue #3 so much with another death because after reading this issue you just want to give up the story.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I read the first issue of it and said "Nope, don't really care about this one" and completely forgot the second issue was coming out this week. Actually, I didn't know it was this week until I just read your post, TexiKen. I thought it was next week.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    This is all you get from a 20 page story:
    despite the cliffhanger from #1 She-Hulk is in a coma (that's never shown, just told in the summary page)

Tony kidnaps Ulysses and copies his brainwaves or whatever to try and learn how his powers work
    Inhumans and Avengers show up to rescue Ulysses, he has a vision of the Hulk killing everyone
    Last page is Carol walking in on a content Banner in a lab in Utah all angry at him

More was done in the FCBD issue with half the pages.

• Options
    It's really depressing how bad this event is.

• Options
    My pet theory is that the Civil Wars are caused by an invisible artifact called the Infinite Idiot Ball, which causes characters who unknowningly carry it to act in ways that are against their normal character.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    At least there's still 100% fun comics like Hellcat? :D

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    So I think I'm liking the new Wasp costume in the preview for the next issue of Uncanny Avengers

http://www.comicosity.com/preview-uncanny-avengers-10/
    UNCAVEN2015B010_int2-5.jpg

• Options
    At least there's still 100% fun comics like Hellcat? :D

This is true, actually. I actually like Marvel's less metaplot-heavy small series these days.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    wait. didnt they just introduce a NEW Wasp thats Pym's daughter?

• Options
    Yeah, Nadia Pym.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    CW2 is something that can be ignored for the most part even with the massive amount of tie ins. So it could be worse.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    You guys, I did not expect The Vision to be so good but it has sucked me right in

I really, really like the suffocating domestic suburban mental health breakdown happening in slow motion

Mrs. Vision best new character 2016

• Options
    wait. didnt they just introduce a NEW Wasp thats Pym's daughter?

Yup, now there's two Wasps.

Just like there's two Hawkeyes, two Spider-Mans, and two Captains America.

• Options
    CW2...man, it really stings they're asking for that price while I get much more stuff out of DC lately. I still want to stick for one more issue though.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    CW2 feels to me like an event that's going to be just a single self-contained story, without huge far-reaching consequences like the original had. I don't know if Marvel intends it to be more than that, but it doesn't feel like it currently.
    Leaning towards Carol's side on this one - Tony's not wrong to want to study Ulysses' powers, but he's going kind've mental. It sucks that Rhodey died, but the situation was basically 'we got a hot tip that fucking Thanos was going to show up somewhere so we hit him with a dozen of our strongest super-heroes.' I don't know how else things would have been handled if Thanos had appeared with no warning - you always hit Thanos with every hero you can.

'course, it seems like Carol's about to do something stupid next issue, like create some self-fulfilling prophecy situation - she tries to kill the Hulk, thereby enraging the Hulk into wanting to kill everyone in the first place.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Truthfully though we have no idea how far the consequences of CW2 will reach until later in the series. Next weeks September solicits might give us a better idea especially if it's ending that month.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    A few questions on older Marvel stuff.

Pre new Thor question: spoilers?
    Was it ever really described why Thor was no longer worthy? I wasn't sure if I missed it due to the various series bouncing back and forth.

Also was is me or was Original Sin a weird cross over? I just didn't get the ending.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Was it ever really described why Thor was no longer worthy? I wasn't sure if I missed it due to the various series bouncing back and forth.

Also was is me or was Original Sin a weird cross over? I just didn't get the ending.

They haven't explained it yet. Which, given it's been nearly two years, is kinda ridiculous.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

They haven't explained it yet. Which, given it's been nearly two years, is kinda ridiculous.

He did, however, become worthy again right at the end of the Avengers/New Avengers run in one of the best scenes of it.
    BOj8K0a.jpg?1

MOlJapk.jpg?1

Scene in question.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

I think that Aaron wasn't planning on revealing it until the Odinson was ready to become Worthy again

but Lady Thor has been selling amazingly well, so that storyline is getting dragged out