Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

14647484951

Posts

  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I didn't find out about that character revival until this week and i'm so dang disappointed.

    steam_sig.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    WTF Marvel

    https://www.avclub.com/marvel-teams-up-with-a-major-defense-contractor-for-th-1819231255
    Marvel announced today that it was teaming up with defense systems manufacturer Northrop Grumman for a new all-ages comic book, finally combining the American child’s two favorite things: Flashy comic book superheroes, and extremely expensive missile defense systems and “battle management” technology. The company did so by revealing a new team of heroes powered by the company’s military technology, the awkwardly backronymed Northrop Grumman Elite Nexus (or N.G.E.N.). Teaming up with the Avengers, they basically look like the currently discontinued Fantastic Four, except with a lot of real-world defense tech for various superheroes to ooh-and-ahh over. Shockingly, though, a number of the company’s fans didn’t take news of this particular sponsorship very well:

    Northrop Grumman bills itself as the world’s fifth largest defense contractor, selling bombers, cybersecurity systems, and other military hardware, mostly to the U.S. government. The partnership with Marvel will apparently extend beyond this single book, too; the company has said it’s planning some sort of big N.G.E.N. reveal at its booth at New York Comic-Con tomorrow.

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    apparently they've canceled the panel at NYCC about this

    but so far sounds like just the panel about it, not the actual comic deal? situation unclear, hopefully the whole deal dies. What a fucking travesty of an idea.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Shadowen
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Furu wrote: »
    DLh1xWjWkAAjozT.jpg

    "sorry you're stupid and didn't understand what we were doing"

    it's dead, less than 24 hours from the initial annoucement
    what a clusterfuck

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I've been watching Pet Shop Boys' music videos on yt and it piqued my interest on the band. On Neil Tennant's wikipedia article:
    Early career

    In 1975, having completed a degree in history at North London Polytechnic (now London Metropolitan University), Tennant worked for two years as London editor for Marvel UK, the UK branch of Marvel Comics. He was responsible for anglicising the dialogue of Marvel's catalogue to suit British readers, and for indicating where women needed to be redrawn for the British editions.[3] He also wrote occasional features for the comics, including interviews with pop stars Marc Bolan and Alex Harvey.

    XBL - ArchSilversmith

    "We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    lionheart_mHarry Dresden
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    apparently they've canceled the panel at NYCC about this

    but so far sounds like just the panel about it, not the actual comic deal? situation unclear, hopefully the whole deal dies. What a fucking travesty of an idea.

    Nope, everything is cancelled. And yeah, who greenlit this?

  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Inhumans Vs X-Men, Secret Empire and now whatever nonsense they're limping to the barn with. What I really couldnt stand is the ending to Secret Empire, people were LITERALLY SENT TO DEATH CAMPS and everyone just went back to normal afterwards. The entire goddamn country should be on trial for war crimes, but NOPE.

  • Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Event fatigue is real. But it's hard to say that any one event is actually more terrible than the others, because they've been so bad for so long at this point. It's not a huge surprise that in Marvel's flashback event they're hitting iconic X-Men storylines from the 80s like Inferno.

    Which is sad, because stupid crap like Secret Empire and Venomverse aside, I really many of the characters.

    The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Inhumans Vs X-Men, Secret Empire and now whatever nonsense they're limping to the barn with. What I really couldnt stand is the ending to Secret Empire, people were LITERALLY SENT TO DEATH CAMPS and everyone just went back to normal afterwards. The entire goddamn country should be on trial for war crimes, but NOPE.

    I nevery thought i'd say this, but it's time for Marvel to just reboot everything.

  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Good news that Bendis is writing exclusively for DC now, right?

    Bobby Derie
  • Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Depends on your point of view. Miles Morales and Jessica Jones are popular characters, but I've never been vastly impressed by his writing, and Secret Wars and Age of Ultron in particular was a piece of fetid plotting. On the other hand, DC could really benefit from someone other than Geoff Johns driving the plot, and DC could do worse than to follow Marvel's model with New Avengers or Ultimates for a bit. And who knows, maybe they'll give Miller his own little corner of things, like they're letting Warren Ellis plot out the Wildstorm stuff.

    So, if you're a fan of Bendis...yay, he's employed! And if you're not a fan of Bendis' work at Marvel...yay, he's not employed at Marvel!

    The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    ShadowenHarry Dresden
  • TexiKenTexiKen West Texas Tit Registered User regular
    Big news, as Axel Alonso is out as EiC (apparently a mutual decision for him to leave Marvel), with CB Cebulski taking his place. Thank God it's not Brevoort.

    Maybe this will be a good spot to actually right the ship of Marvel and clean house and just get some semblance of order and direction without hiding behind sales gimmicks.

    And you know.....just have Peter and MJ married again without any setup, just sayin'......

    F8C3xPh.jpg
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Matthew wrote: »
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Inhumans Vs X-Men, Secret Empire and now whatever nonsense they're limping to the barn with. What I really couldnt stand is the ending to Secret Empire, people were LITERALLY SENT TO DEATH CAMPS and everyone just went back to normal afterwards. The entire goddamn country should be on trial for war crimes, but NOPE.

    I nevery thought i'd say this, but it's time for Marvel to just reboot everything.

    Marvel doesn't do hard reboots like that.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Big news, as Axel Alonso is out as EiC (apparently a mutual decision for him to leave Marvel), with CB Cebulski taking his place. Thank God it's not Brevoort.

    Maybe this will be a good spot to actually right the ship of Marvel and clean house and just get some semblance of order and direction without hiding behind sales gimmicks.

    And you know.....just have Peter and MJ married again without any setup, just sayin'......

    Dude, that's how super-hero comics operate. Always have. Whoever they get to replace Alonso will be doing the exact same thing, and the person after that and the person after that...

  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Tried reading the new Hawkeye series but I just cant stand that annoying "awkward quirky girl next door" thing they're trying to do with Kate Bishop.

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, after all these years, I am finally reading through the Spider-Verse stuff I've had laying around (basically everything except 3 issues I had to get on Comixology). It is some goofy stuff and I'm liking it. Compared to events from recent years, I am enjoying this one (and I'm huge into Spidey so that helps I guess).

    I heard the recent clone stuff was decent. Can anyone back that up? (I put the hardback on my Amazon Xmas wishlist because why not?)

    P76aofs.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-conan-license/

    This has brought a few of the more...toxic Conan fans out of the woodworks, given some people don't like Marvel.

    The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Registered User regular
    So current Cable artist Jon Malin may be the dumbest person I've ever heard speak. He went on one of the strangest Twitter screeds last night and ended up on EVS weird youtube show to complain about "SJWs" ruining the comic industry.

    I tried to listen but after 15 minutes I couldn't handle anymore. It's just a meandering meditation on everything that bothers him for no reason at all aside from him being a giant ant-progressive.

    I can't see him holding onto his job for long after this.

    steam_sig.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    Ike Perlnutter, who gave a million dollars to the Trump campaign, runs the comics side of Marvel, and print comics comics make so little money these days that as long as Disney doesn't think it's fucking with the movie bottom line I'm pretty sure his perch is secure.

    So Matlin's not going anywhere, I'm guessing.

    Shadowen on
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Ike Perlnutter, who gave a million dollars to the Trump campaign, runs the comics side of Marvel, and print comics comics make so little money these days that as long as Disney doesn't think it's fucking with the movie bottom line I'm pretty sure his perch is secure.

    So Matlin's not going anywhere, I'm guessing.

    Is he that weirdo who greenlit those SJW villains?

  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Ike Perlnutter, who gave a million dollars to the Trump campaign, runs the comics side of Marvel, and print comics comics make so little money these days that as long as Disney doesn't think it's fucking with the movie bottom line I'm pretty sure his perch is secure.

    So Matlin's not going anywhere, I'm guessing.

    Is Ike still at the top? I know Dan Buckley has moved up to president of Marvel comics and John Nee is now the publisher. Is Ike still above Buckley?

    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning Registered User regular
    Ike's still chairman of Marvel Entertainment (Marvel Studios being the movie div, obvs), which handles both TV and comics.

  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    So, while reading Gwenpool #25, like half way through, I realized this might actually be the last issue. And then it was. And I had no idea it was truly ending. And I am kind of wrecked right now. I really loved that series. :'(

    P76aofs.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    vagrant_winds
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Ta-Nehisi Coates discusses taking over the writing desk on Captain America:
    I confess to having a conflicted history with this kind of proclamation—which is precisely why I am so excited to take on Captain America. I have my share of strong opinions about the world. But one reason why I chose the practice of opinion journalism—which is to say a mix of reporting and opinion—is because understanding how those opinions fit in with the perspectives of others has always been more interesting to me than repeatedly restating my own. Writing is about questions for me—not answers. And Captain America, the embodiment of a kind of Lincolnesque optimism, poses a direct question for me: Why would anyone believe in The Dream? What is exciting here is not some didactic act of putting my words in Captain America’s head, but attempting to put Captain America’s words in my head. What is exciting is the possibility of exploration, of avoiding the repetition of a voice I’ve tired of.

    And then there is the basic challenge of drawing with words—the fear that accompanies every effort. And the fear is part of the attraction because, if I am honest, the “opinion” part of opinion-journalism is no longer as scary it once was. Reporting—another word for discovery—will always be scary. Opining, less so. And nothing should really scare a writer more than the moment when they are no longer scared. I think it’s then that one might begin to lapse into self-caricature, endlessly repeating the same insights and the same opinions over and over. I’m not convinced I can tell a great Captain America story—which is precisely why I want so bad to try.

    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Brings a Magic Infused Gun to a Swordfight. Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, while reading Gwenpool #25, like half way through, I realized this might actually be the last issue. And then it was. And I had no idea it was truly ending. And I am kind of wrecked right now. I really loved that series. :'(

    It was the single best solo-comic Marvel had since the post-Secret Wars relaunch. No contest.

    I'm really sad it's gone too.

    I'm at least happy it got to last 25 issues and had the same writer/artists team through the entire thing.

    (Aside: And I will always love Gwen's Penguindrum backpack because I love that constant reference to Kunihiko Ikuhara's best mindfuck.)

    // Steam: VWinds // LoL: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Ta-Nehisi Coates discusses taking over the writing desk on Captain America:
    I confess to having a conflicted history with this kind of proclamation—which is precisely why I am so excited to take on Captain America. I have my share of strong opinions about the world. But one reason why I chose the practice of opinion journalism—which is to say a mix of reporting and opinion—is because understanding how those opinions fit in with the perspectives of others has always been more interesting to me than repeatedly restating my own. Writing is about questions for me—not answers. And Captain America, the embodiment of a kind of Lincolnesque optimism, poses a direct question for me: Why would anyone believe in The Dream? What is exciting here is not some didactic act of putting my words in Captain America’s head, but attempting to put Captain America’s words in my head. What is exciting is the possibility of exploration, of avoiding the repetition of a voice I’ve tired of.

    And then there is the basic challenge of drawing with words—the fear that accompanies every effort. And the fear is part of the attraction because, if I am honest, the “opinion” part of opinion-journalism is no longer as scary it once was. Reporting—another word for discovery—will always be scary. Opining, less so. And nothing should really scare a writer more than the moment when they are no longer scared. I think it’s then that one might begin to lapse into self-caricature, endlessly repeating the same insights and the same opinions over and over. I’m not convinced I can tell a great Captain America story—which is precisely why I want so bad to try.

    Is he the guy who wrote the past two issues of Captain America? Because he's not doing too good in that case.

  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Never do what your enemy expects you to do! Registered User regular
    edited March 20
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Ta-Nehisi Coates discusses taking over the writing desk on Captain America:
    I confess to having a conflicted history with this kind of proclamation—which is precisely why I am so excited to take on Captain America. I have my share of strong opinions about the world. But one reason why I chose the practice of opinion journalism—which is to say a mix of reporting and opinion—is because understanding how those opinions fit in with the perspectives of others has always been more interesting to me than repeatedly restating my own. Writing is about questions for me—not answers. And Captain America, the embodiment of a kind of Lincolnesque optimism, poses a direct question for me: Why would anyone believe in The Dream? What is exciting here is not some didactic act of putting my words in Captain America’s head, but attempting to put Captain America’s words in my head. What is exciting is the possibility of exploration, of avoiding the repetition of a voice I’ve tired of.

    And then there is the basic challenge of drawing with words—the fear that accompanies every effort. And the fear is part of the attraction because, if I am honest, the “opinion” part of opinion-journalism is no longer as scary it once was. Reporting—another word for discovery—will always be scary. Opining, less so. And nothing should really scare a writer more than the moment when they are no longer scared. I think it’s then that one might begin to lapse into self-caricature, endlessly repeating the same insights and the same opinions over and over. I’m not convinced I can tell a great Captain America story—which is precisely why I want so bad to try.

    Is he the guy who wrote the past two issues of Captain America? Because he's not doing too good in that case.

    Mark Waid is the current Captain America writer. Coates' run hasn't started yet.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Sadgasm wrote: »
    Ta-Nehisi Coates discusses taking over the writing desk on Captain America:
    I confess to having a conflicted history with this kind of proclamation—which is precisely why I am so excited to take on Captain America. I have my share of strong opinions about the world. But one reason why I chose the practice of opinion journalism—which is to say a mix of reporting and opinion—is because understanding how those opinions fit in with the perspectives of others has always been more interesting to me than repeatedly restating my own. Writing is about questions for me—not answers. And Captain America, the embodiment of a kind of Lincolnesque optimism, poses a direct question for me: Why would anyone believe in The Dream? What is exciting here is not some didactic act of putting my words in Captain America’s head, but attempting to put Captain America’s words in my head. What is exciting is the possibility of exploration, of avoiding the repetition of a voice I’ve tired of.

    And then there is the basic challenge of drawing with words—the fear that accompanies every effort. And the fear is part of the attraction because, if I am honest, the “opinion” part of opinion-journalism is no longer as scary it once was. Reporting—another word for discovery—will always be scary. Opining, less so. And nothing should really scare a writer more than the moment when they are no longer scared. I think it’s then that one might begin to lapse into self-caricature, endlessly repeating the same insights and the same opinions over and over. I’m not convinced I can tell a great Captain America story—which is precisely why I want so bad to try.

    Is he the guy who wrote the past two issues of Captain America? Because he's not doing too good in that case.

    Mark Waid is the current Captain America writer. Coates' run hasn't started yet.

    Good because this weird dystopian future storyline they've been doing is just bizarre. It's not even GOOD social commentary, it makes the whole "Richard Nixon is a supervillain" thing from the 70's look subtle.

  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    Hi old thread!

    I've been using my marvel unlimited sub to catch up on stuff. Is it normal to dislike the crossover events? I just read through Infinity and it's difficult to read because there's almost too much shit going on with too many characters that I'm not familiar with. It's hard to follow.

    Also the app could make my life easier and have some mode where you read the comics in order instead of having to back out, go to new avengers, then back out and go to regular avengers, then infinity again.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
    McFodder
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    unlimited's sorting of crossovers is kind of unconscionably awful, tbh. Setting aside the fact that it's a great value, the service itself is kinda fucking terrible.

    they actually do have 'collected' event pages, but they're buried in a hard to find place on the website (not sure how the app implements them.) Here's the one for inifinity: https://marvel.com/comics/discover/47/infinity-the-complete-event

    if nothing else, it puts all the issues in one place

    NREqxl5.jpg
    do you lack faith, brother?
    or do you believe?
  • TexiKenTexiKen West Texas Tit Registered User regular
    I think Infinity only works if you read Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers runs. And you need to read that anyway to get to Secret Wars (the last good Marvel event).

    F8C3xPh.jpg
    jdarksun
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Been reading a lot of classic X-Men on Unlimited - were any mutant population numbers ever established prior to Morrison's run? I'm curious how many were running around during e.g. Claremont's run cause my understanding was the numbers shot up drastically under Morrison.

    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    No real numbers ever given before, Morrison is the only one that actually cared to put a number on it.

    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    TexiKen
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Morrison was like, "what if we gave them the numbers to be an actual minority, and not just a football league?"

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    Ringo
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    Marvel thread. I have heard the Doc Ock Superior Spider-Man run was pretty good. Is this true and how much backstory do I need to read to read it?

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    There's no before "how we got to the Superior Spider-Man" parts or is that just all self contained?

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    There's no before "how we got to the Superior Spider-Man" parts or is that just all self contained?
    The first issue covers it, IIRC, but if you wanna read the genesis it's Amazing Spider-Man #700.

    Also, if you're like me, the next stop after these 33 issues is the full run of Agent Venom.

  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Also go to the Spider-Verse event shortly after. It ties in and it good.

  • ChaosHatChaosHat Registered User regular
    So I totally plowed through Superior Spider-Man. It was really excellent. I've just kept going onto Amazing Spider-Man afterwards. I'll probably loop back and get the Agent Venom based on that recommendation. I may just keep going with Spidey until I get caught up. I also need to untangle where the hell I was at with Captain Marvel. I think I did the first two volumes of the DeConnick run.

    ChaosHat.com - Twitter - Twitch Stream - Steam: ChaosHat - 3DS: 5215-0009-1949
    SC2: ChaosHat.444 ggtracker
    jdarksun
Sign In or Register to comment.