Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Marvel] - Introducing Marvel LATER!

1464748495052»

• jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So I totally plowed through Superior Spider-Man. It was really excellent. I've just kept going onto Amazing Spider-Man afterwards. I'll probably loop back and get the Agent Venom based on that recommendation. I may just keep going with Spidey until I get caught up. I also need to untangle where the hell I was at with Captain Marvel. I think I did the first two volumes of the DeConnick run.
    Awesome! Yeah, I was totally blown away by Superior Spider-Man. It's such a great concept that's executed really, really well.

• ChaosHatChaosHat regular HelloooooooooRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    So I totally plowed through Superior Spider-Man. It was really excellent. I've just kept going onto Amazing Spider-Man afterwards. I'll probably loop back and get the Agent Venom based on that recommendation. I may just keep going with Spidey until I get caught up. I also need to untangle where the hell I was at with Captain Marvel. I think I did the first two volumes of the DeConnick run.
    Awesome! Yeah, I was totally blown away by Superior Spider-Man. It's such a great concept that's executed really, really well.

It was a really great contrast and the whole arc is so good in that basically everything Octavius is doing is actually just setting up his downfall down the line. It did a great job of just exploring the themes of what makes you who you are and can someone ever really change even after wiping the slate clean? It also did a good job of raising the stakes for actual Peter, the whole time I was thinking "oh jesus this is going to fuck all of Peter's shit up." And the emotional payoff in that last issue when Octavius puts Parker back into the driver's seat was just...wow.

I guess I should also read all of the Miles Morales stuff but that will take...forever. I pretty religiously followed Ultimate Spider-Man (most of the ultimate universe for that matter) back in the day but got busy shortly after Cataclysm.

• redfield85redfield85 regular Registered User regular
    I second Spider-Verse. It was a fun read. I also enjoyed the Clone Conspiracy a bit. I bought the giant hard cover trade. I'd recommend that too.

Agent Venom was great (although I stopped before the last 8-10 issues) and I enjoyed Venom Space Knight as well.

I have maybe 4-5 volumes of Miles' Ultimate run and have yet to dig in after reading Ultimate Spidey YEARS ago.

Surprisingly, I do not subscribe to any Spidey comics. I don't know why. Maybe I just want to get trades of them. I know there is some Spider-geddon event coming this year, so I'm in for that I think. I'm not SUPER into the new Venom series, but lately it was pulling me back in, so we will see. I hated the Venomverse stuff. I thought it was just bleh and could've been a lot cooler. The Poisons are just...not interesting and very 90s by design.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • ReznikReznik regular Registered User regular
    Looking to pick up the Age of Apocalypse Omnibus but the damn thing is over $100 CAD. Would it be cheaper to try and hunt down the individual issues?

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Reznik wrote: »
    Looking to pick up the Age of Apocalypse Omnibus but the damn thing is over $100 CAD. Would it be cheaper to try and hunt down the individual issues?
    Do you really need to own them? I'm pretty sure the entire run is on Marvel Comics Unlimited and there's a deal now where the first month is like $0.02 or something ridiculous.

• ReznikReznik regular Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »
    Do you really need to own them? I'm pretty sure the entire run is on Marvel Comics Unlimited and there's a deal now where the first month is like $0.02 or something ridiculous.

Yeah I've got an active MU subscription, but I'm also trying to build a collection of 90s comics for nostalgia reasons.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Marvel just cancelled the new Vision series by Chelsea Cain after four issues were already done.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • redfield85redfield85 regular Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Read the Red Goblin trade yesterday. Meh. I guess I'll spoiler stuff since it is more recent.

I do not care about Osborn's family at all. Yea, I jumped right into the arc with no knowledge, but when I hear Green Goblin and Carnage as one, I want to see cool shit. I feel like there wasn't enough crazy, cool fights/scenes. Maybe because I trucked through it I didn't appreciate it as much? Also, what in the hell. Flash dies from a quick zap from Green Goblin?! I didn't even know he died until the funeral. I feel like that is such a shitty sendoff of one of my favorite Venoms. Like, I am fine with him dying, just make it an obvious and more memorable death.

Red Goblin, Clone Conspiracy, and Spider-Verse. Any other more recent Spidey arcs I should check out? Spider-Island? I currently sub to everything that is Spider-Geddon, so I am in on that already. I have Superior Foes of Spider-Man on my wishlist.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    House of X/Powers of X finished up, and most importantly it shipped on time, and used the same two artists for the "event" that were always solicited. And they were actually good artists, not this digital art tracing stuff that feels so lifeless. That's the first time this has happened in at least ten years, more like 20. (does Doomwar count as an event? That shipped on time with one artist).

But as for what Hickman's done, it's well written and intriguing and I'm onboard, but it doesn't feel original. It just feels like him refining previous ideas by previous writers and just having the clout to get the editors to guarantee or whatever to do two/three years of stories before it all has to be reset. Now that's not to say I'm not liking the stuff, I am, and I enjoy the twist with mutantkinds real enemy, but the X-Men have been shit for so, so long just to prop up the Avengers and Inhumans that I don't know how you're actually going to let the X-books integrate with the other series out there without screwing up Hickman's ultimate goal. And I have a strong feeling some of the text pages from the series are red herrings that lead in to other things. Spoilers/hopes for that below:

-the mutant who can control matter that Moira and Xavier talk about in the last issue, it's supposed to hint at Proteus and Xavier actually being his father, interesting, but I have a strong feeling Franklin Richards is going to be that mutant and there might be some small retcons (or big) with Moira possibly helping Franklin be a mutant or when Krakoa all goes south Hickman brings in the FF to try and tie all his big runs together. It's just that he's basically the only mutant who isn't on Krakoa and connecting Hickman's future Franklin to his Phalanx stuff in this series seems like an inevitability.

-the big Sinister rumor writing the Crazy Days and Nights type tidbits from a few issues back about the guy who is "best there is at what he does and the married woman with a kid," it wants to make it seem like it's Wolverine/Jean, which is just vomit inducing and I'll ramble about that later but I almost think that rumor is more about Gambit and Rogue's marriage. Gambit used to always steal that line from Wolverine back when he first showed up, and I think they adopted a kid in their recent Mr. and Mrs. X series? Although the whole make more mutants thing is creepy and cult like on top of resurrecting dead mutants (but hey, Synch is back!)

-I've seen rumors that Xavier is actually Sinister, which is why you never seen him without the helmet on, that's a nice out for Hickman at the end of the run to sort of placate this cult mentality among everyone with the memory backups Or maybe he's even a Brood, I sort of like that callback to when Cyclops was exposed as infected during the Claremont/Smith era. I also get a sense with the mind backups it's a way to have Xavier exert control over the more questioning characters, and reminds me a bit of Steven Seagle's 90's Alpha Flight where the team was constantly being brainwashed into compliance after every mission, a bit like Doll House was I guess, I never saw that TV show.

-And carrying on a bit from above, the Red King seems to all but be confirmed to be Kitty if the Marauders solicits are any indication, although a part of me wants it to be Cyclops in secret just because I have this longshot idea that Emma still has "Cyclops" in her mind from when he died in Death of X, this non-Xavier backup that she's redownloading into whatever Xavier has and because Cyclops apparently becomes defacto leader during wartime, it just seems like a lot of things are on the table far away from each other but Hickman's shown that like Morrison there's a lot more callbacks to continuity than you'd expect from pretty much a relaunch of the past 8 years.

-Finally, for the love of God, no more love triangle/rectangle with Jean/Logan/Emma/Scott. Ideally, yes, it should be Scott and Emma, but you do that and of course they'll have Logan pounce on Jean and it would just be this shitty wish fulfillment for Wolverine fans who already get everything with the Marty Stu of a character in the comics AND the films and it's like, come on. I'd be fine with Jean being with anyone but Wolverine, and there's always the out of it being clones of the real mutants (like the real characters never died and were just in pods below Krakoa so we're just seeing fakes of everyone), but just no more Logan/Jean stuff.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Scott and Jean get back together now that she's no longer on the path to godhood because of the Phoenix, that would actually be a nice thing to compare Scott's brief time with the force and Jean's near lifelong connection, how it warps people and if there still is love between them. And their reunited kiss I posted in the Awesome Moments thread really did make me smile for the first time in awhile reading an X-Men book, so yeah, let them get back together and be a lasting couple which is hard to find these days. I don't know, just rambling I guess, mutant island nation cults and their hedonistic ways kinda grind my gears.

Anyway, I'm going to be getting X-Men and Marauders out of the relaunch, and hopefully they don't just kill the linewide relaunch by glutting the shelves oh who am I kidding this is Marvel. But for the time being, good job Hickman, 8/10.

HAB3pqF.png
  • Dizzy DDizzy D regular NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    House of X/Powers of X finished up, and most importantly it shipped on time, and used the same two artists for the "event" that were always solicited. And they were actually good artists, not this digital art tracing stuff that feels so lifeless. That's the first time this has happened in at least ten years, more like 20. (does Doomwar count as an event? That shipped on time with one artist).

But as for what Hickman's done, it's well written and intriguing and I'm onboard, but it doesn't feel original. It just feels like him refining previous ideas by previous writers and just having the clout to get the editors to guarantee or whatever to do two/three years of stories before it all has to be reset. Now that's not to say I'm not liking the stuff, I am, and I enjoy the twist with mutantkinds real enemy, but the X-Men have been shit for so, so long just to prop up the Avengers and Inhumans that I don't know how you're actually going to let the X-books integrate with the other series out there without screwing up Hickman's ultimate goal. And I have a strong feeling some of the text pages from the series are red herrings that lead in to other things. Spoilers/hopes for that below:

-the mutant who can control matter that Moira and Xavier talk about in the last issue, it's supposed to hint at Proteus and Xavier actually being his father, interesting, but I have a strong feeling Franklin Richards is going to be that mutant and there might be some small retcons (or big) with Moira possibly helping Franklin be a mutant or when Krakoa all goes south Hickman brings in the FF to try and tie all his big runs together. It's just that he's basically the only mutant who isn't on Krakoa and connecting Hickman's future Franklin to his Phalanx stuff in this series seems like an inevitability.

-the big Sinister rumor writing the Crazy Days and Nights type tidbits from a few issues back about the guy who is "best there is at what he does and the married woman with a kid," it wants to make it seem like it's Wolverine/Jean, which is just vomit inducing and I'll ramble about that later but I almost think that rumor is more about Gambit and Rogue's marriage. Gambit used to always steal that line from Wolverine back when he first showed up, and I think they adopted a kid in their recent Mr. and Mrs. X series? Although the whole make more mutants thing is creepy and cult like on top of resurrecting dead mutants (but hey, Synch is back!)

-I've seen rumors that Xavier is actually Sinister, which is why you never seen him without the helmet on, that's a nice out for Hickman at the end of the run to sort of placate this cult mentality among everyone with the memory backups Or maybe he's even a Brood, I sort of like that callback to when Cyclops was exposed as infected during the Claremont/Smith era. I also get a sense with the mind backups it's a way to have Xavier exert control over the more questioning characters, and reminds me a bit of Steven Seagle's 90's Alpha Flight where the team was constantly being brainwashed into compliance after every mission, a bit like Doll House was I guess, I never saw that TV show.

-And carrying on a bit from above, the Red King seems to all but be confirmed to be Kitty if the Marauders solicits are any indication, although a part of me wants it to be Cyclops in secret just because I have this longshot idea that Emma still has "Cyclops" in her mind from when he died in Death of X, this non-Xavier backup that she's redownloading into whatever Xavier has and because Cyclops apparently becomes defacto leader during wartime, it just seems like a lot of things are on the table far away from each other but Hickman's shown that like Morrison there's a lot more callbacks to continuity than you'd expect from pretty much a relaunch of the past 8 years.

-Finally, for the love of God, no more love triangle/rectangle with Jean/Logan/Emma/Scott. Ideally, yes, it should be Scott and Emma, but you do that and of course they'll have Logan pounce on Jean and it would just be this shitty wish fulfillment for Wolverine fans who already get everything with the Marty Stu of a character in the comics AND the films and it's like, come on. I'd be fine with Jean being with anyone but Wolverine, and there's always the out of it being clones of the real mutants (like the real characters never died and were just in pods below Krakoa so we're just seeing fakes of everyone), but just no more Logan/Jean stuff.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing Scott and Jean get back together now that she's no longer on the path to godhood because of the Phoenix, that would actually be a nice thing to compare Scott's brief time with the force and Jean's near lifelong connection, how it warps people and if there still is love between them. And their reunited kiss I posted in the Awesome Moments thread really did make me smile for the first time in awhile reading an X-Men book, so yeah, let them get back together and be a lasting couple which is hard to find these days. I don't know, just rambling I guess, mutant island nation cults and their hedonistic ways kinda grind my gears.

Anyway, I'm going to be getting X-Men and Marauders out of the relaunch, and hopefully they don't just kill the linewide relaunch by glutting the shelves oh who am I kidding this is Marvel. But for the time being, good job Hickman, 8/10.

It's going to be New Mutants and Excalibur for me (so we can pool resources)

My take on some of your points:
    the mutant who can control matter that Moira and Xavier talk about in the last issue, it's supposed to hint at Proteus and Xavier actually being his father, interesting, but I have a strong feeling Franklin Richards is going to be that mutant and there might be some small retcons (or big) with Moira possibly helping Franklin be a mutant or when Krakoa all goes south Hickman brings in the FF to try and tie all his big runs together. It's just that he's basically the only mutant who isn't on Krakoa and connecting Hickman's future Franklin to his Phalanx stuff in this series seems like an inevitability.

I thought it was Moira working out that they needed a very powerful mutant for the resurrection process and figured out candidates for both Xavier and herself:
    - Joe MacTaggert for herself (this is the only timeline where she had any contact with him and the only with Proteus)
    - Gaby Haller for Xavier (unclear how much Xavier knows that this is planned or not).

Rogue and Gambit did not adopt a kid, it was the kid of Xavier and Lilandra and they protected her for a while, but she was being raised by Cerise IIRC.
    Also really happy that Synch is back btw.

Married woman with a kid... Jean did not have a kid... maybe Maddie? Which would be an interesting twist, I think.

There are a lot of people there that are strong enough to prevent Xavier from controlling them though. Jean probably first and foremost. I'm fully buying that the mutant finally had enough.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    TexiKen