As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

40 Years of Weird Al

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also I hope he does some original polka songs since the era of polka medleys is over.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    God Weird Al is such a badass accordion player. He seriously does not get enough credit for his work on the instrument because, I don't know, it's not mainstream like a guitar? Some of the lead runs on songs like Everything You Know Is Wrong are in-fucking-sane.

i think part of it is just that people don't really know what it looks like when you're playing the accordion really well. most people know what badass guitar play should "look" like - same with a drum solo or whatever. even with something like violin, you can watch and be like 'yeah, that looks pretty badass'. with accordion, most people don't even really know how it works, so it's hard to know when he's really rocking it

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really like My Baby's in Love with Eddie Vedder and it gives all a chance to show off some non-polka style accordioning.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Houk wrote: »
    God Weird Al is such a badass accordion player. He seriously does not get enough credit for his work on the instrument because, I don't know, it's not mainstream like a guitar? Some of the lead runs on songs like Everything You Know Is Wrong are in-fucking-sane.

i think part of it is just that people don't really know what it looks like when you're playing the accordion really well. most people know what badass guitar play should "look" like - same with a drum solo or whatever. even with something like violin, you can watch and be like 'yeah, that looks pretty badass'. with accordion, most people don't even really know how it works, so it's hard to know when he's really rocking it

Playing an accordion is like playing Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing on two computers at the same time.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Two computers powered by the force of you moving them towards and then further away from each other.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    The local nerdy bar does Rock Band Karaoke nights on Sunday and I went last night.

They have pretty much all the official DLC, plus a bunch of custom songs which I didn't even know was a thing until last night.

So anyway, go here at about 1:40:52 to see me perform a very special Weird Al song for the bar.

Hate to dig this bad boy up, but I was there that night with friends. I did not realize that was you Geek. You did the Lord's work.

Finally listened to the album all the way through today. Big hits for me were Jackson Park Express, the polka (natch), Foil, Word Crimes, and Inactive because I keep hearing freaking Radioactive everywhere
    Even on Goddamn Arrow of all places

so I have a frenemy relationship with the song, and having Al do a take on it is incredibly carthartic. The others didn't really stick, but may with subsequent listens. (Mission Statement just sounded like every place I worked, and so I zoned it out like any corporate-ese I hear daily)

As to my top 5 songs, this wasn't easy:

Albequerque -'nuff said

Since You've Been Gone -While similar to "One More Minute" (Honorable Mention), prior to the punchline it's a great song about missing someone, which is why it still finds it's way onto my playlists to this day.

Jurassic Park - First Weird Al song I heard and instantly fell in love with

Eat It - Best food-based parody, plus it always reminds me of his semi-fake biopic and the reenactment of getting permission from Michael Jackson to make the song

This Is The Life - because nothing else stood head and shoulders above, but when someone mentioned it, I had to listen to it again

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'll be trying to get to Rock Band night at the AFK more often, duder. Just come say hi if you see me again.

Also gonna try to get to board game night on Tuesday one of these weeks.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Probably not gonna be back for awhile, unemployment is a pain like that, but I'll keep it in mind

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Yaaaay

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    If there was ever anyone who deserved to get a #1 album on the charts, Al is totally the guy.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Yankovic’s video exposure in that period obliterated not just Mraz’s, but that of every other major music star. His closest competition, Beyonce, had roughly half as much exposure as the satirist. Yankovic also dwarfed the viral play of stars as big as Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z in the last week.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Yankovic’s video exposure in that period obliterated not just Mraz’s, but that of every other major music star. His closest competition, Beyonce, had roughly half as much exposure as the satirist. Yankovic also dwarfed the viral play of stars as big as Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z in the last week.

Man, I bet Robin Thicke wishes he had a bigger dictionary.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Also I hope he does some original polka songs since the era of polka medleys is over.

I hope he never stops doing polka medleys. They're my favorite part of his albums.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Legba wrote: »

I hope he never stops doing polka medleys. They're my favorite part of his albums.

he's already said he probably won't do them anymore. They're an absolute nightmare when it comes to securing rights.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

My favorite response to this? "Well you DID say it was mandatory."

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Weird Al is an insane anomaly in the music industry

This may be the only time in the history of the industry that an artist's best-selling work was in the later stages of their career

I don't think anyone has ever had their 15th and final album be their first #1 record

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Plus, this is an excellent launch for his Youtube/internet only career.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    This makes Al the single most successful comedy musician of all time without a doubt, right?

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

• Options
    This makes Al the single most successful comedy musician of all time without a doubt, right?

He's probably doing about as well as The Lonely Island

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Incredibad was #13 on the charts, Turtleneck & Chain was #3. Obviously that only takes into consideration how an album does with its immediate competition, but still, Al's career has spanned 31 years and having a #1 album is a pretty big feather in his cap. I'm not saying TLI is a flash in the pan or anything, just that it's tough to compare the two directly, especially when TLI hasn't had to claw their way up from the pit of novelty music because Weird Al already did a shitload of the legwork for them.

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2014

Who?

Seg on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty happy to have both Weird Al and Lonely Island doing their own things. Net result is that we all win.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin

they've got a ways to go to really catch up, but yeah, they're probably the closest modern equivalent

tenacious d is probably...a bit behind the two

• Options
    darleysam wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy to have both Weird Al and Lonely Island doing their own things. Net result is that we all win.

I like The Lonely Island. I love me some Tenacious D too. I'm glad Al's success has spawned followers who can do their own thing with hip hop/R&B and metal, respectively.

• Options

they've got a ways to go to really catch up, but yeah, they're probably the closest modern equivalent

tenacious d is probably...a bit behind the two

The D's highest-charting album is Rize of the Fenix, at #4. So, maybe not all that far behind.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Seg wrote: »

Who?

You're kidding right?

• Options
    Genuinely forgot about Tenacious D

That's probably the top 3 right there, with Weird Al at the top

The Lonely Island might be more popular right now, but Weird Al is far and away more successful overall

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I feel like Flight of the Conchords should be in the top three

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    And Paul and Storm! (they also have a new album: Ball Pit)

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »

Who?

You're kidding right?

I hadn't heard of them until early on in this very thread.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Diplominator on
  • Options
  • Options
    JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Just imagine......

Stanley Spudowski's Funhouse and the fire hose....

Jayricho on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Awesome to hear MF is doing so well.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Music vids for the album are great as well.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

you're not really supposed to be thinking when you watc...oh that's not what you meant haha whoops

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562