As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

40 Years of Weird Al

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Will Forte

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Who plays the other music exec alongside actual Weird Al?

Will Forte

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    The movie does a good job of sending up how musician biopics attribute everything to sudden flashes of inspiration.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Who plays the other music exec alongside actual Weird Al?

Will Forte

I only saw the trailer and I thought it was Kyle Maclachlan

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The movie does a good job of sending up how musician biopics attribute everything to sudden flashes of inspiration.
    I didn't like the whole Dad reveal and I think it was a really clumsy way to get to the third act, but his Mom becoming fat and saying lyrics straight up with no payoff was very funny.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    \
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I didn't like the whole Dad reveal and I think it was a really clumsy way to get to the third act, but his Mom becoming fat and saying lyrics straight up with no payoff was very funny.

I imagine there was a cut plot line
    With Michael Jackson riding Al's coat tails to parody fame, with "Bad" being his next big release.
    All in all, it was an entertaining show, but I think I prefer UHF for my Weird Al fix.

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Echoing most folks' sentiments on Weird, it was generally fine to surprisingly funny - might not watch it again anytime soon, but it was good for what it was!

I think probably my favorite little throwaway gag was in the credits
    When Madonna is visiting his grave and it says "Born 1959 - Ate It 1985"

Just a very well constructed double-joke moment

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    UHF is definitely going to continue to pass the test of time (I just bought the shout factory release like last year!)

I think Weird also suffered from the mandated TMobile ads.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I think the main thing about Weird is that like...it was fun and silly and all, but it could have stood to be properly zany and absurd. Like even the more over-the-top moments could have really been pushed a lot further than they were. They were still fine, just not as incredible as I think maybe they could have been.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    A hayboy?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I watched the Through the Fire and Flames music video for the first time in years today, and at least in the video their lead singer also looks a lot like Weird Al

Houk the Namebringer on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    It’s a Weird world, we’re just living in it

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Evan Rachel Wood as Madonna was great in the movie.

sig.gif
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend looked at me funny when I was singing the words to songs at the polka party. Apparently she is not familiar with the polka standard "Roll out the Barrel"

A very good interview (per usual with Terry Gross) on Fresh Air. I actually picked up a couple small new things I didn't know before.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/16/1136027639/weird-al-yankovic-biopic-daniel-radcliffe

BLM - ACAB
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I watched the Weird Al movie this weekend with my wife. I told her going into it that nothing in the movie was true. I pointed out where they had Weird Al playing the record exec. So inevitably at the end of the movie she says to me, "Did he really die like that?"

And I just had to respond with...
    Yes dear, in 1985 Weird Al was assassinated by Madonna after she gave up her pop-star career to become not only a drug lord but also the leader of the country of Columbia.

I'm still not confident she knows if it was a true story or not.

• GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    The ending reminded me strongly of this:

https://youtu.be/foOYW3CzayU

Soooooooo...

How long until we're getting some kinda stage musical based around Al's tunes like they've done for other musicians?

BLM - ACAB
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I didn't realize that the 2 guys at the beginning of White and Nerdy were Key and Peele

Fencingsax wrote: »
    I didn't realize that the 2 guys at the beginning of White and Nerdy were Key and Peele

To be fair, the video came out 6 years before their show started, so they weren't really a known duo at that time.

BLM - ACAB
    6w3zchtosnvd.jpeg

BLM - ACAB
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    NPR has a feature on Al because today is the 40 year anniversary of his first album.

gnrka66fhckw.png

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/03/1171948750/40-songs-from-40-years-of-weird-al-yankovic

BLM - ACAB
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Criminal negligence mentioning One More Minute and leaving out his greatest lyric of all time
    I guess I might seem kinda bitter
    You’ve got me feeling down in the dumps
    ‘Cause I’m stranded all alone in the gas station of love
    And I have to use the self-service pumps

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    They absolutely called out that lyric. Also, not including the absurdity of Everything You Know Is Wrong or the bop that is Why Does This Always Happen To Me feels weird, but personal preferences gonna personal preference.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    …fuck, am I going senile?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Also, the definitive '80s song about self gratification is, of course, She Bop by Cyndi Lauper, which came out the year before. Sorry Al, but you're Johnny Cum Lately here.

You'd think this post was a setup for that terrible pun at the end, but it literally just came to me..

Err...

Criminal negligence mentioning One More Minute and leaving out his greatest lyric of all time
    I guess I might seem kinda bitter
    You’ve got me feeling down in the dumps
    ‘Cause I’m stranded all alone in the gas station of love
    And I have to use the self-service pumps

I've enjoyed singing that one at karaoke at least a couple times.

BLM - ACAB
    Pretty sure the overlap of "Weird Al fans" and "Muppet fans" is a near-perfect circle, but just in case:

I'm halfway through the series and it's really fun.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    i'm genuinely surprised he hasn't done anything with them before now

Yeah, I need to check out that show.

BLM - ACAB
    Got a wild hair and picked this up for 40 bucks. I don’t even own anything that can play vinyl hahaha 😅

Honestly I probably wouldn’t have even bothered except the records are neon green if you get it at Barnes and Noble and they’re hot pink from anywhere else. 🤓

5ccyr38kqfdj.jpeg

BLM - ACAB

Categories are (all for Miniseries/Movie unless otherwise stated):
    * Writing
    * Original music/lyrics ("Now You Know") - I belive this is Emmy-wide
    * TV Movie
    * Lead Actor
    * Original Score
    * Sound Mixing
    * Picture Editing
    * Casting

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that daniel radcliffe is going places I tell you

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    He'll be moving on up to farting corpses and gun-toting robe enthusiasts before you know it!

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    He'll be moving on up to farting corpses and gun-toting robe enthusiasts before you know it!

Can't wait to see him do post-apocalyptic action/comedy.