As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

40 Years of Weird Al

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The Lonely Island is great, but Weird Al is the king.

I think they're pretty different beasts

Weird Al is a parodyist

Lonely Island makes original music

Half of Weird Al's output is original music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKHBtqulOA

Noisymunk on
    brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    CHEX MIX #1 SNACK FOOD IN THE LAND
    IT'S THE CEREAL SNACK THAT YOU EAT WITH YOUR HAND

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Is...is that Kay and Peele at the beginning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yes it totally is

• Options
    edited June 2014
    it has been a long time since i've listened to alpocalypse and the thing that TMZ is teaching me is that Taylor Swift makes songs that are criminally catchy.

like the melody and the way the lyrics move into each other, you could be saying anything and it would get stuck in your head.

Langly on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    it has been a long time since i've listened to alpocalypse and the thing that TMZ is teaching me is that Taylor Swift makes songs that are criminally catchy.

like the melody and the way the lyrics move into each other, you could be saying anything and it would get stuck in your head.

Thats pop, man

I confess to actually liking some of Katy Perry's older stuff because if nothing else the production on it made so damned catchy

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »

I think they're pretty different beasts

Weird Al is a parodyist

Lonely Island makes original music

Half of Weird Al's output is original music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKHBtqulOA

Even the original songs are all pretty clear pastiches of specific bands (and sometimes, specific songs). Germs is basically Closer even though it's not a direct parody. Ringtone is a Queen song that never was. Al channels the ghost of Jim Morrison in Craigslist. etc.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Although yeah Hardware Store is one of his few songs I can't put a pin on, seems totally original.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Weird Al seems like a super classy dude.

Never got into drugs or sex addiction or anything like that.

While he's not legally required to get permission from the original artists, he does it out of respect.

Won't attach his name with beer or cigarette products because he knows a lot of his fanbase is underage.

And this is probably one of the best examples of Weird Al being a cool dude for his fans:
    Several hours after his wife notified him of his parents' death, Yankovic went on with his concert in Appleton, Wisconsin,[42] saying that "since my music had helped many of my fans through tough times, maybe it would work for me as well" and that it would "at least ... give me a break from sobbing all the time."

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    B6D43E49-4E09-4AED-B088-DBE37DEE6499.jpg

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

o-WEIRD-AL-THE-LONELY-ISLAND-facebook.jpg

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »

While he's not legally required to get permission from the original artists, he does it out of respect.

Won't attach his name with beer or cigarette products because he knows a lot of his fanbase is underage.

And this is probably one of the best examples of Weird Al being a cool dude for his fans:
    Several hours after his wife notified him of his parents' death, Yankovic went on with his concert in Appleton, Wisconsin,[42] saying that "since my music had helped many of my fans through tough times, maybe it would work for me as well" and that it would "at least ... give me a break from sobbing all the time."

Wait, did both his parents die on the same day?

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

Yeah

Carbon monoxide poisoning from a gas fireplace

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Dare to Be Stupid was the first thing I ever spent my allowance on. I remember this clearly.

• Options

Yeah

Holy shit that's rough.

sig.gif
  • Options

Yeah

Holy shit that's rough.

For whatever reason if you're super funny, god apparently hates you

Some of the most upsetting stories in hollywood are about comedians, especially their childhoods.

• Options
    His concerts are always fantastic.

I tell ya, you ain't lived until you've seen Albuquerque performed live.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

Yeah

Holy shit that's rough.

For whatever reason if you're super funny, god apparently hates you

Some of the most upsetting stories in hollywood are about comedians, especially their childhoods.

Well I think you probably develop a better sense of humor if you grow up rough. But no Weird Al had a wonderful life and everything I've seen about his parents seemed awesome, this is just a cruel twist of fate.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'm glad that architecture thing didn't pan out for him.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    His concerts are always fantastic.

I tell ya, you ain't lived until you've seen Albuquerque performed live.

I GOT MY TRAY TABLE UP

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    I opened the door and just as I suspected

it was some big fat hermaphrodite with a flock of seagulls haircut and only one nostril

man, I hate it when I'm right

sig.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I. Hate. SAUERKRAUT!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Is...is that Kay and Peele at the beginning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9qYF9DZPdw

Key and Peele.

But yes.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    And Seth Green.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    And Seth Green.

And Donny Osmond!

• Options
    DID SOMEBODY SAY DONNY OSMOND?

http://youtu.be/GWc6QQ9JlMc

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I always love that vid of Donny and Weird Al.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like All about the Pentiums

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    is everyone having fun in this thread?

you better be

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Smells Like Nirvana will always and forever be my favorite Weird Al parody.

And it's probably nostalgia talking here, but The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota is my favorite original of his. I have the whole damn thing memorized to this day and my friends and I used to sing it on trips to goddamn everywhere as a kid.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    can we talk about how awesome this video is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Uriel wrote: »
    I like All about the Pentiums

After I moved to Silicon Valley (to pay the bills with my mad programmin' skills, of course), I realized that it can be kind of fun to roll down highway 101 here past all the towers and corporate headquarters (eBay, Intel, etc.) and blast All About the Pentiums.

Also I've also always been sad that "clocks" never caught on as slang for megahertz.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    can we talk about how awesome this video is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMhwddNQSWQ

This was one of my least favorite Weird Al songs as a kid.

I realized some years back how very wrong I was.

• Options
    I just looked up the lyrics to All About The Pentiums expecting it to be a dated mess but really it's somehow still not, aside from mentioning Pentiums of course.

A hundred gigabytes of RAM is somehow still ridiculous overkill.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I just looked up the lyrics to All About The Pentiums expecting it to be a dated mess but really it's somehow still not, aside from mentioning Pentiums of course.

Well, a flatscreen monitor 40" wide isn't nearly as preposterous as it once was.

• Options
    i wish i could have a t1 connection in my house

• Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Well, a flatscreen monitor 40" wide isn't nearly as preposterous as it once was.

Yeah now they just call those a TV. If you have one on a desk that's impressive but yeah.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    i wish i could have a t1 connection in my house

Wait, isn't a T1 line just 1.5 Mbps? I.e., slow by modern standards?