As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Superhero Movies] Who IS this mysterious masked man?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to think of a character trait legolas displayed in the first trilogy other than "does flips"

hey now, you forgot "is pretty"

Plus "Is good at murder".

You can't murder an orc

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Where's the superhero who can save me from this argument

Hawkman.

But only by starting another argument about his backstory.

The thing about Hawkman is that nobody gives enough of a shit about Hawkman to argue about his backstory, which is why it's been rebooted and retconned so many times. :)

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Aragorn is saddled with enormous responsibility but is reluctant to step up and take hold of it, but in the short term he's honest and just and selfless and you know, all that good heroic stuff

He takes the quest seriously and feels personally responsible for the hobbits' safety

He's caught between loving a woman and knowing that in the long run there aren't great odds that he can make that relationship work

I mean you can say that plenty of the characters don't have much going on but Aragorn isn't one of them

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Viggo Mortensen is so dreamy in Fellowship it is difficult to come to terms with

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I guess I don't really think the lotrcast was much more characters than the hobbit cast

They talk a lot more but its mostly them just giving expository dialogue

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I just saw the new Transformers flick, and I actually liked it. I mean, I guess I might be destenstised to these films by now, but I thought it was pretty good. I only had a few quibbles
    -That Secratery of Defense dude or whatever (the new loser guy who works for Obama) completely drained the any sense of momentum and impact out of every scene he was in. Just terrible.
    -Prime is just too fuckin' bloodthirsty in these films. Hearing Optimus Prime, a dude who is basically robot Superman, constantly scream you "I'LL KILL YOU", and threatening human lives was awful. Especially when he just flat out kills a human in the end.
    -At some point during the movie, I had to say goodbye to the part of my brain that kept going "Jesus Christ, the collateral damage accrued in this film is awful." It just wasn't going to work out between us.

Anywho, some stuff I liked
    -They managed to do the Dinobots justice, unbelievably. I thought they were just going to bring those metalized dinosaurs from the beginning to life but having them being ancient, legendary warriors TOTALLY worked.
    -Human cast wasn't terrible
    -I liked the Megatron->Galvatron transition
    -Lockdown was pretty cool
    -I'm actually kind of interested where this "creator" stuff is going to go. Live action Quintessons, maybe? Probably not.

So yeah, this was easily he best one yet, though it's still super long and still a big dumb (with a capital DUMB) action movie.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Legolas being in the Hobbit kinda irks me too. When one of the main plots running through a movie is that the one guy is coming to terms with his archery skills to make an impossible shot, and he's the only one who can.... seems kinda broken when " I can shoot the taint off a butterfly at 15 miles" Legolas is running around.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    so I'm watching the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon on Netflix and Nick Fury's eyepatch is on the wrong side and it's driving me nuts

It's Chameleon, he just got the disguise wrong. It would have been adjusted in the second season.
    Just tell yourself that and maybe it won't bother you.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Dritz wrote: »
    so I'm watching the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon on Netflix and Nick Fury's eyepatch is on the wrong side and it's driving me nuts

It's Chameleon, he just got the disguise wrong. It would have been adjusted in the second season.
    Just tell yourself that and maybe it won't bother you.

Alternate universe = alternate eye

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I just saw the new Transformers flick, and I actually liked it. I mean, I guess I might be destenstised to these films by now, but I thought it was pretty good. I only had a few quibbles

The disease is inside you now.

I fear fire is the only cure.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I just finished Superior Spider-Man and man that was a really satisfying story arc.
    Part of me hopes that Parker finds a way to bring back Otto and he has a redemption arc. Have him put into the body of a LMD and transfer his mind into it when Parker finds out he isn't totally gone from his mind. That kicker at the end when Otto realizes that he and Peter are the same, but Otto is flawed and tries to hard to compensate to make up. Where Parker is his opposite. Endless potential but holds himself back with doubt. Just feels like they could make a good buddy arc. Give Otto the Iron Spider costume in a Superior Spider paint job.

Still though probably the best Spider story I read in ages.

Also I was thinking cause Spider 2099 appeared in Superior. I hate Marvel's time travel. Spider 2099, Bishop, and Cable all come back. And you are telling me that none of them managed to negate their future in any meaningful way. I'd love if after a big story arc involving them if they were retconned or redesigned to reflect changes to their time line. Seriously...how have they not altered any of their timelines in any meaningful way with all the time travel shenanigans that Marvel does. The only time traveler that doesn't do anything that would effect the future is freaking Doctor Doom.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

The disease is inside you now.

I fear fire is the only cure.

Suggestion: Electrocution works well. Evisceration and Decapitation are also effective, or um, so I've heard.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Aww man I just remembered about needing to get the Cataclysm trades, but the only one that's out is the Cataclysm Collection hardcover. I hope Marvel releases a paperback version.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Is Age of Ultron worth a read? The Paperback is out now and wonder if its even worth the pickup. Currently waiting on Infinity at the moment for paperback.

Also picked up Injustice: Gods Among Us vol 1 and 2. I do like the setting (mostly cause I liked the game) and really do like Harley's characterization in it. Especially with her and Joker in the all "Have you ever loved someone that you know was bad for you" kinda way.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Nope. Age of Ultron is a terrible, terrible event.

Probably the worst Bendis penned thing I've ever read.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
  • Options
    Also the team seems to be made up of genius scientist/engineering prodigies instead of the oddball origins of the comics.

Fredzilla is piloting a mechakaiju instead of changing into one, for instance.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SixshotStrikerSixshotStriker Registered User regular
    I am sitting here trying to think of a character trait legolas displayed in the first trilogy other than "does flips"

You can't murder an orc

All the dead orcs from every D&D campaign say hi. Or they would but can't since, you know, they're dead. ;)

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

It goes nowhere, does nothing, and then drops you off right back where you started with nothing having changed.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    I wish Honey Lemon's bag straps didn't have balls on it. They look like anal beeds

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

You can't murder an orc

All the dead orcs from every D&D campaign say hi. Or they would but can't since, you know, they're dead. ;)

That's not murder.

That's pest control.

Like killing elves!

• Options

It goes nowhere, does nothing, and then drops you off right back where you started with nothing having changed.
    I genuinely think the only reason they published it is because they already had the Hitch pages paid for and Avengers 2's title had been decided by then so they could make bank selling collected editions.

It is just so pointless. The fuckin final climactic issue is largely made up of re-drawn scenes from a then 2-3 year old issue that was available for free.

Jesus.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I wish Honey Lemon's bag straps didn't have balls on it. They look like anal beeds
    Or

Y'know

Big chunky beads like on a necklace

Like people wear

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    genesis rodriguez has a better superhero name than the character she's voicing

• Options
    edited July 2014
    Gogo Tomago is a fuckin fantastic name

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Gogo Tomago is a fuckin fantastic name

fe fi fo fogo?

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    So this isn't superhero movie themed, but this guy made stained glass windows based on Hawkeye and Captain Marvel. And that's rad.

ZFxody3.jpg

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Or

Y'know

Big chunky beads like on a necklace

Like people wear
    I have never seen people wear beads that big, but whatever

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Oh my god you guys

Jurassic World.
    k48k905dzra2.jpg
    bGIwNg9.jpg
    CMj0sQ5.jpg
    jdUIJSZ.jpg
    jICKQod.jpg
    036e0kv.jpg

JURASSIC WORLD

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I bet we see several of those attractions!

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I love that there is a fucking golf course. I'm imagining middle-aged men so jaded they are thinking "Yeah I'm taking Pam and the kids to Jurassic World next week. The kids'll love it but I'm looking forward to playing a few holes".

There are Dinosaurs just out of view and you are hitting a ball around you sad realistic man!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Man so many people are going to get eaten in Jurassic World. So many people.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    -That Secratery of Defense dude or whatever (the new loser guy who works for Obama) completely drained the any sense of momentum and impact out of every scene he was in. Just terrible.
    -Prime is just too fuckin' bloodthirsty in these films. Hearing Optimus Prime, a dude who is basically robot Superman, constantly scream you "I'LL KILL YOU", and threatening human lives was awful. Especially when he just flat out kills a human in the end.
    -At some point during the movie, I had to say goodbye to the part of my brain that kept going "Jesus Christ, the collateral damage accrued in this film is awful." It just wasn't going to work out between us.

Anywho, some stuff I liked
    -They managed to do the Dinobots justice, unbelievably. I thought they were just going to bring those metalized dinosaurs from the beginning to life but having them being ancient, legendary warriors TOTALLY worked.
    -Human cast wasn't terrible
    -I liked the Megatron->Galvatron transition
    -Lockdown was pretty cool
    -I'm actually kind of interested where this "creator" stuff is going to go. Live action Quintessons, maybe? Probably not.

So yeah, this was easily he best one yet, though it's still super long and still a big dumb (with a capital DUMB) action movie.

I'm pretty sure they are gonna do
    Quintessons in the fifth movie (quint = 5)

It's just dumb enough to work

An additional gripe I had
    the transformation effect of Galvatron and the other human built Transformers

Just vehicle -> white cloud of squares -> robot looks bad, and seems really lazy. The classic transformation looks like something someone actually thought about

It looks fine for speaker -> handgun, but not for Transformers

• Options
  • Options
    Look who is guest-starring in Amazing Spider-Man 7!
    ASM2014007COV.jpg

Also the Smashing Spider-Brit or whatever his name is as a lead in to Spider-Verse

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular

I didn't even know he was bi

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

I didn't even know he was bi
    Has been for quite a long time

Dude is a hedonist, he takes pleasure wherever he can find it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Which I guess would make him pansexual?

Although we've only ever seen him sleep with men and women.

Regardless, that was a really neat chance to have a LBGT main character on a big network show and they missed it. Which is doubly dumb since it informs his character a lot.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    british spider-man is one of those ideas that's so obvious you can't believe they haven't done it before

also the constantine tv show is going to have literally no things to do with constantine

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Also wolverine is guesting in the Ms Marvel comic. Because he has to show up everywhere.

I guess all the New Yorker heroes are coming out to say hi.

This discussion has been closed.