Options

LOST: Reliving The Glory Days - Tabula Rasa (begin abloobloobloo)

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    What always bugged me about this show is when they would set something up and then it became clear later that they decided to take it in a different direction, my go to example being (season 3 spoiler)
    That man in the cabin appearing to Locke (only), and clearly saying "HELP ME". They kinda fandangled it another way but they were very much setting up a scenario where Jacob was actually being held prisoner by Ben for some reason (the writers confirmed as much) - it was originally the puppet controlling the master type deal at first.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Yo, thanks for spoilering everything guys

That is really nice of you all

Make no mistake

We are all doing it for our benefit as much as your

There's no small amount of vicarious reliving when seeing first Lost reactions.

• Options
    Also, that cabin

What the FUCK was up with that cabin
    The jars, the fact that it could TELEPORT, Hurley seeing AT LEAST 2 different people inside of it (that fucking EYE, man)

And then "nah just burn it down"

It's clear they wanted to do something with it, but either ran out of time, or just decided their original vision no longer fit

• Options
    Basically my main gripes with the show all revolve around that Cabin. I feel they did just fine by everything else.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    What always bugged me about this show is when they would set something up and then it became clear later that they decided to take it in a different direction, my go to example being (season 3 spoiler)
    That man in the cabin appearing to Locke (only), and clearly saying "HELP ME". They kinda fandangled it another way but they were very much setting up a scenario where Jacob was actually being held prisoner by Ben for some reason (the writers confirmed as much) - it was originally the puppet controlling the master type deal at first.
    Which could have been awesome!

I'm not knocking what we got but yeah...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Which could have been awesome!

I'm not knocking what we got but yeah...

I know! I like what we got too, but the original pitch always sounded more interesting to me

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I think the writers had an idea of where they were going, but not every point along the way had been figured out, which lead to a few setups that didn't get to be paid off when the later points became more clear.

(Late Series Spoiler)
    Aside from the aforementioned Cabin, one thing that always bugged me was that they never addressed who was in the boat that Juliet shot at during the time skips.

Well, I think some supplemental material later on retroactively said it was random pirates or something but before that one of the writers had said they knew who it was when they wrote it but never were able to squeeze it in anywhere to actually show.

Not ever telling us what the deal was with Libby was another thing that bugged me (especially since they got the actress back later on and still didn't explain it).

However, other than those couple of things I felt the show mostly fit together really well and enjoyed how the characters progressed through the story.

Especially compared to Battlestar Galactica which was out at the same time and we know they had no idea what was going to be happening next season until it was time to sit down and write it.

• Options
    ShinyRedKnightShinyRedKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Post-Pilot Opinions:

Cool People:
    Jack
    Kate
    Hurley
    Sayid
    Boone
    Dude with the Kid Whose Name I haven't caught

Jerks:
    Gambit
    Shannon
    Johnny Gat, but mostly to his lady
    Charlie, kind of

What the Fuck:
    Dude with the scar and the Backgammon

You have no idea. No idea. How much you hit the nail on the freaking head. This show. This show.

Man, if I start rewatching this it'll be the third one I'm watching currently. Finished Battlestar Galactica recently though, could fit it in.

ShinyRedKnight on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ShinyRedKnight Xbox Live: ShinyRedKnight
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    ugh i adore watching people do first viewings of this show

my lady friends starts with "ehhh i dunno"
    then "woah what the fuck was that"
    then "i know we have a party to go to but can we just watch LOST instead"

• Options
    Watching this new with someone else would probably be the only way if could sit through the whole thing again

It's just too hard to resist skipping to all the best parts when you are just by yourself

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Note to future Blank

Hi! You just watched Stranger in a Strange Land

Don't give up! It's about to get so good. This is the "dark time."

• Options
    Stranger in a Strange Land is the tattoo episode right

That's got to be in the running for worst tv episode ever

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    have we already forgotten the Cage episodes

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »

There is value to be found, somewhere, in the cage episodes

Stranger in a Strange Land is devoid of value

• Options
    The cage episodes are a lot easier to deal with when you are marathoning the show

Still fairly boring don't get me wrong but not the worst by any stretch

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I was sure Lost was available on Lovefilm/Amazon Prime, but it turns out it is not. Now I'm not sure if there's anywhere I can watch it without paying extra money, and so I am sad.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Lars wrote: »
    I think the writers had an idea of where they were going, but not every point along the way had been figured out, which lead to a few setups that didn't get to be paid off when the later points became more clear.

(Late Series Spoiler)
    Aside from the aforementioned Cabin, one thing that always bugged me was that they never addressed who was in the boat that Juliet shot at during the time skips.

Well, I think some supplemental material later on retroactively said it was random pirates or something but before that one of the writers had said they knew who it was when they wrote it but never were able to squeeze it in anywhere to actually show.

Not ever telling us what the deal was with Libby was another thing that bugged me (especially since they got the actress back later on and still didn't explain it).

However, other than those couple of things I felt the show mostly fit together really well and enjoyed how the characters progressed through the story.

Especially compared to Battlestar Galactica which was out at the same time and we know they had no idea what was going to be happening next season until it was time to sit down and write it.
    The dudes in the other boat were an expedition crew from the Black Rock. There is a journal entry from the ship that came with the complete collection that outlines the encounter. I believe it is typed up on Lostpedia if you are interested.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Machwing wrote: »

There is value to be found, somewhere, in the cage episodes

Stranger in a Strange Land is devoid of value

Stranger in a Strange Land is the most valuable episode of the series

Showing ABC that episode and telling them "this is what the show is going to have to be like now if you don't give us an end date" is how Lindelof & Cuse got the planned end date

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Watching this new with someone else would probably be the only way if could sit through the whole thing again

It's just too hard to resist skipping to all the best parts when you are just by yourself

Yeah I mean
    There's about 40 episodes before Ben even shows up.

That's as many episodes as there are episodes of Game of Thrones so far, total.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Lars wrote: »

(Late Series Spoiler)

The Ajira B-survivors were on that boat, that's pretty clear. Ilana and co.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Er maybe we weren't talking about the same thing.

sig.gif
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Someone at work just said "I don't know where Steve and Scott are"

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I have the huge Lost collector's edition thing and it is completely awesome. Hidden compartments, maps, secret messages you can read with the included hidden black light.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I would like to vote in favor of watching two episodes a week

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    The creative insult thread had me thinking of sawyer's nicknames

which tangentially reminded me of one of my favorite lines
    If we don't play ping pong every 108 minutes, the island's gonna explode.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I would like to vote in favor of watching two episodes a week

You can watch as many episodes as you want, but I for one would like to keep up with the podcast. I'm already watching 3 this week-end anyway to catch up to the upcoming second podcast.

sig.gif
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I meant to watch just the pilot episodes, but i ended up going all the way through Walkabout. That reveal is still amazing. They push you toward a certain expectation then just blow the lid off your brain.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    "Don't tell me what i can't do" is still just

Like an entire lifetime of frustration in a single fucking line and they nail it on the delivery in a way that makes it impossible to forget.

• Options
    They do such a perfect job of setting Locke up as, first, kinda creepy, then super wise, and finally a total bad-ass before they totally pull the rug out from under you.

Kinda like a non-asshole version of Healy on OITNB.

sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Yo @Blankzilla, would you like the drinking rules I wrote up for my roommates as they went through this series?

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Oh god this show. I started watching it live my senior year of high school with the third season. And afterwards it would be all of my friends calling each other frantically figuring out what happened, theorizing what would happen next, and so on. Then in college it moved on to watch parties and everyone bickering lostpedia articles.

Down to the point where we had minor spoiler for new watchers
    all of the food we had at watch parties required Dharma logos

I'm debating joining in on this, as I did rewatch most of the series with my roommate (who hadn't seen it) a couple years back. Though that was marathon style, which I don't think Lost does well with.

Oh and I drew this back then too.
    25376_1379573642479_7135526_n.jpg

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    @Gustav, that is good stuff stuff right up there.

• Options
    I dunno, my whole Lost experience was marathoned and it was fine

You might lose something in not experiencing all the speculation and Lost points, but it's impossible to recreate that sort of thin now anyway so there's no real point in worrying about it.

• Options
    I watched each new episode with the theater department at my college.

We'd all bundle up at someone's house and join in for the experience.

Which made the last episode more emotional as we all started crying and than realized we'd never get to have those nights again and we cried even more.

• Options
    A communal experience like that is legit the thing I regret never doing the most in my younger days. That sounds just amazing.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I didn't really like much of the final season (save for Ab Aeterno. I could have watched an entire season of Ab Aeterno)

But man, it was a good finale. And I would be lying if I said our gang wasn't tearing up or crying.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Yeah I was kinda sad I graduated college before Lost ended, so I didn't get to watch the finale with the dudes from my dorm. I mean I geeked out about it with them over IM afterwards but it's just not the same.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I think Lost started my last year of college, I watched the first season by myself, but was at my parent's house when the Season 1 finale aired. My mom watched it with me and got hooked so she caught up on reruns over the summer.

Starting with Season 2 I would always go to my parents house to watch Lost and so that just kind of became the regular thing until it ended. I moved to Atlanta after Season 5, but things didn't work out there and I ended up moving back before Season 6 started (remember that there was a huge gap between Season 5 and 6) so I got to see that with my parents too.

A year or two ago, my wife told me she'd never seen Lost so we sat down and went through all the dvds in a couple of weeks. After the Season 5 finale, I told her that now we were going to wait nine months before getting to watch the final season, just like how it originally aired.

She did not agree.

• Options
    Has there ever been a TV show with better music? I really can't think of any.