As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Capcom] Shareholders Reject Anti-takeover Plan, Ono Leaves Capcom Vancouver

urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R haterRegistered User regular
edited June 2014 in Games and Technology
So there's some rumblings that Capcom is in some deep shit. I'm surprised we haven't talked about this here, yet. Or maybe we have and I missed it. Here's the article:
Capcom shareholders have left the door open for an unsolicited acquisition bid. At the company's annual meeting today, shareholders opted not to renew a takeover defense plan that had been in place since 2008, and renewed every two years since.

The 25-page plan outlined a months-long process through which potential acquiring parties could seek proper approval from Capcom's board of directors. While it didn't specify exactly what measures would be taken if a large-scale share purchaser did not jump through the proper hoops, it included a poison pill plan as one option, where pre-existing shareholders are given additional stock to dilute the acquiring party's influence on the company. However, the plan entertained at least one scenario where those shareholders would be forced to pay for additional stock or see their shares diluted as well.

"Despite of non-approval [sic] of Renewal of Takeover Defense at the 35th Ordinary General Meeting of Shareholders, Capcom will continue to focus on further preserving and enhancing corporate value and common interests of its shareholders," the company said. "If there is any large-scale purchaser of Capcom stock, we will react to make necessary measures within the admissible limits of applicable laws and regulations. In addition, we will react to take steps to ensure disclosure of the position of the board of directors and other information and that there is sufficient time for shareholders to examine the proposed large-scale purchase and reach a decision."

In other Capcom news today, long-time Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono tweeted that he was resigning from his position as a director at Capcom Vancouver. Ono said he was going to take some time and think carefully about his next steps, but for the moment was most interested in watching the World Cup. It appears that Ono is still with the company, as Capcom's investor relations site lists him as a corporate officer and head of its Consumer Games Development Division 2. Additionally, Ono was not included in an announcement of key personnel changes released after the shareholders meeting today.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-06-16-capcom-shareholders-reject-anti-takeover-plan

Then this showed up:

What do you guys think? Will someone come in and buy Capcom or will they stay the way they are now? How great would it be if Nintendo picked up the Mega Man IP and gave it to Sakurai?

urahonky on

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Man I don't even know what to think of Capcom anymore. Someone needs to come in and take charge of the company, because whoever should be doing it isn't.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Man I don't even know what to think of Capcom anymore. Someone needs to come in and take charge of the company, because whoever should be doing it isn't.

Think about all the IPs they're sitting on... They are all FANTASTIC games. How on Earth are they not sitting on a mountain of cash!?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

Would love it, if Nintendo bought them.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

Street Fighter / Fighting Game fans wouldn't.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Nintendo would be amazing as the owner of Capcom. It would be the biggest move to help save the Wii U I can think of...exclusive home to Monster Hunter, Street Fighter (and all their other fighting game series, DMC, and Dead Rising would immediately give them a ton of credible mature games that they lack. Megaman, Okami and Viewtiful Joe would give them some characters that really would fit well in the Nintendo stable. Edit: Also Zack and Wiki 2 please.

Just the fighting game fanatic crowd alone would be a significant thing for Nintendo to take over.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options

boo hoo.

Although, I think they'd be a great owner of those franchises, it would be kind of bittersweet that while I'd have faith in Nintendo to make good games out of them, those good games would still be stuck on the outdated Wii U.

• Options
    Is the Wii U really that outdated for fighting games though? One on one fighting games are probably not going to be the most taxing on a console. I could certainly see Dead Rising fans being bummed if Nintendo took over as those games are a great showcase on how many characters can you squeeze on the screen...but fighting games really aren't usually hugely system resource pushers.

If anything I would expect some fans might be happy if the nickel and dime DLC patterns of costumes and color schemes Capcom has been doing would end under Nintendo ownership.

Also, I'd like to get Pocket Fighter vs. Nintendo.

• Options
    I'd prefer if Nintendo took the Mega Man IP, and someone else buy the other stuff. Dead Rising 3 on the XBO is a huge jump in performance that the WiiU version would suffer with.

We all know that EA is just going to buy them.

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give them ideas.

• Options

SSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give them ideas.

See how bitter I've become!

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Mountain Dew will buy them.

• Options
    I'd be surprised if Capcom gets bought by a non-Japanese company actually.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Super Potato will buy them.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    The fighting games and the PC ports are the only things that I would worry about if Nintendo bought them.

Especially if all the Capcom games get yanked off of Steam.

Edit: Also, I think Ono only left Capcom Vancouver, he's still at Capcom Japan.

Lars on
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I don't see any realistic possibility of Nintendo getting anything out of this situation. As nice as it would be for them to own Mega Man and Viewtiful Joe and such, this is not a THQ scenario where one can buy bits and pieces of the company. If I understand correctly, it's just that it's currently not technically impossible for an outside investor to buy enough Capcom stock to become majority owner. Nintendo doesn't give a damn about whatever behemoth is behind Resident Evil these days, and owning Street Fighter would trigger so much backlash that it would probably do more harm than good, so they won't do anything. The only plausible scenario I can think of where anything changes for Nintendo at all is if Sony buys Capcom and strongarms Monster Hunter back onto their systems, and even that probably isn't likely.

Speaking of Monster Hunter, its existence probably precludes Microsoft from buying Capcom because it's an extremely valuable IP that they couldn't possibly make a dime off of. Western publishers like EA and Activision might not want to get involved with that either.

I expect that Capcom will either be bought up by some random Japanese holding company or nothing will happen.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    As far as I know Ono only went back to Japan.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'd prefer if Nintendo took the Mega Man IP, and someone else buy the other stuff. Dead Rising 3 on the XBO is a huge jump in performance that the WiiU version would suffer with.

Visceral could do some badass shit with a Resident Evil reboot, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Lars wrote: »
    The fighting games and the PC ports are the only things that I would worry about if Nintendo bought them.

Especially if all the Capcom games get yanked off of Steam.

Edit: Also, I think Ono only left Capcom Vancouver, he's still at Capcom Japan.

Indeed!
    Ono said he was going to take some time and think carefully about his next steps, but for the moment was most interested in watching the World Cup. It appears that Ono is still with the company, as Capcom's investor relations site lists him as a corporate officer and head of its Consumer Games Development Division 2. Additionally, Ono was not included in an announcement of key personnel changes released after the shareholders meeting today.

At least for now, but I'll update the OP.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Visceral could do some badass shit with a Resident Evil reboot, though.

They've already made 3 better-than-they-could-ever-be-except-for-that-one-time-they-actually-got-it-right Resident Evil games

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    I know right?

Dead Space 3 didn't really click with me until I realized that I was basically playing H.P. Lovecrafts, At the Mountains of Madness: The Game. And then I fucking loved it.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

You say that like it's a bad thing, and like that community should be listened to.

I could see Nintendo going through, cleaning house, and not putting up with some of the shit that comes out of there.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I know right?

Dead Space 3 didn't really click with me until I realized that I was basically playing H.P. Lovecrafts, At the Mountains of Madness: The Game. And then I fucking loved it.

That and it let me make a pistol that I could use to fill a room with rivets and lightning.

Going from underpowered in the beginning to that level of badassery was wonderful.

It'll be a real shame if Capcom winds up shuttering in the future. Lot of memories from that publisher.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

You say that like it's a bad thing, and like that community should be listened to.

I could see Nintendo going through, cleaning house, and not putting up with some of the shit that comes out of there.
    Yeah. The smash community really cleaned its act up in the lat few years mainly because of Nintendo

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

Well...I think a community should be listened to.

Because umm...when they aren't...you get Resident Evil 6 and no Megaman.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Either way. I mean I can't say I'm too heartbroken about this. Its been kind of obvious for years that Capcom's management doesn't really seem to have a clue to what they're doing, what with having way more misses than hits last gen.

So I mean, I understand being afraid that a potential buyout would mean the company could go into the hands of someone who might not treat it right. But a lot of Capcom's decisions of late have been pretty questionable so I don't even know if they're treating most of their stuff right anymore.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Man, I liked RE6. I don't know why it and RE5 get so much hate.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I didn't mind RE6 overall, but it was an unfocused mess.

I think the problem is that last gen a lot of the key talent on the Capcom staff left and they've felt like they been scrambling ever since outside of a few franchises(Street Fighter/Monster Hunter).

• Options
    Resident Evil desperately needs a reboot like Tomb Raider.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Man, I liked RE6. I don't know why it and RE5 get so much hate.
    Because theyre gears of war clones not horror games

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Nah. Some of Chris's early levels maybe but I hardly ever used cover. 5 and 6 are about as "actiony" as Resident Evil 4, and everyone loves RE4

Though. I do agree that the story is complete nonsense now, and a reboot is in order.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Meh. I wouldn't even say that RE5 was a Gears of War clone.

RE5's biggest offense was that it was pretty much RE4 with a modicum of the tension and overall worse boss fights. Also, a stripped down customization system.

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I hated RE4. I'm that guy. So I never even bothered with 5 and 6.

Still, it's weird to think about Capcom getting bought. I can hope that whoever does (if they get bought, I guess?) Does something about that shitty game calling itself Breath of Fire 6, right? That's a thing I can want out of this?

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Well...I think a community should be listened to.

Because umm...when they aren't...you get Resident Evil 6 and no Megaman.

On the plus side of no Megaman sequel, we're getting Mighty No. 9. Not from Capcom, but we're still getting it.
    Just saying, there may be an upside to consider.

see317 on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I feel like RE5+6 are pretty good co-op games. They suffer when playing by yourself, but when playing with a friend they shine.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //