As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Storytime (PAX Keynote) and Concert Lineup Announced

2»

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Acqustitions Inc is really popular ime so I assume they are moving it to a bigger venue and night to force people to choose between concerts and Acq. Panel. I have no issue with it personally. I'll probably attend douvle clicks and then hang out in free play area.
    Also, Acqustitions Inc. can presented for a much lower cost than a concert. But that strikes me as an unlikely motivation. Overall to me it seems odd unless they could populate the bill. They normally put things like Acqustitions Inc opposite a concert to provide counter programming for folks who don't go to concerts. The Giant Bomb panel has historically been in this category.

The more I think about it the more I'm suspecting it's a ruse. It's the tenth anniversary and the best they got is to put Acquisitions Inc. in one of the concert slots when it has always had its own dedicated slot? C'mon now, PAX is bigger than ever, flush with cash, and there are a ton of acts out there that would love to get in on PAX.

So maybe this is all just a big ole "gotcha" and they have something big planned because if it isn't then all I'd really have to say about it is "what the shit, Robert?"

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    AercadiaAercadia ArizonaRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    The more I think about it the more I'm suspecting it's a ruse. It's the tenth anniversary and the best they got is to put Acquisitions Inc. in one of the concert slots when it has always had its own dedicated slot? C'mon now, PAX is bigger than ever, flush with cash, and there are a ton of acts out there that would love to get in on PAX.

So maybe this is all just a big ole "gotcha" and they have something big planned because if it isn't then all I'd really have to say about it is "what the shit, Robert?"

:I If they're planning a "gotcha", there are way better ways to do it than to suggest to the community that Event X is going to fill up Slot X, have everyone plan whether or not they want to attend Event X during Slot X, and then run the risk of disappointing those who attended expecting Event X, those who didn't attend because they expected Event X, and confusing everyone else. My two cents.

• Options
    BirrhanBirrhan Registered User regular

You know, there has been a running prank for several years, changes every year. Dark Horse, Lando Society... wouldn't it be funny if they upped their ante for the 10 yr, and you're right in that it's all a ruse?

Speaking of which, I haven't seen a thread for that. Normally someone solicits among forumers for prank participants, sworn to secrecy and all that. Did anyone see a thread for that yet?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2014
    Birrhan wrote: »

You know, there has been a running prank for several years, changes every year. Dark Horse, Lando Society... wouldn't it be funny if they upped their ante for the 10 yr, and you're right in that it's all a ruse?

Speaking of which, I haven't seen a thread for that. Normally someone solicits among forumers for prank participants, sworn to secrecy and all that. Did anyone see a thread for that yet?
    Unfortunately we aren't going to be doing public recruitment for the prank this PAX Prime. It's not ideal, but that's the situation in which we find ourselves this time. Keep your eyes open for recruitment for PAX South and PAX East :) and hopefully next year's PAX Prime

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Aercadia wrote: »

:I If they're planning a "gotcha", there are way better ways to do it than to suggest to the community that Event X is going to fill up Slot X, have everyone plan whether or not they want to attend Event X during Slot X, and then run the risk of disappointing those who attended expecting Event X, those who didn't attend because they expected Event X, and confusing everyone else. My two cents.

Honestly, it's mostly just wishful thinking because the alternative that they just said fuck it and wiped out a concert night for Acquisitions Inc. is a little more depressing.
    zerzhul wrote: »

Unfortunately we aren't going to be doing public recruitment for the prank this PAX Prime. It's not ideal, but that's the situation in which we find ourselves this time. Keep your eyes open for recruitment for PAX South and PAX East :) and hopefully next year's PAX Prime

My conspiracy theory deepens...

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    soozerellasoozerella Registered User regular
    It looks like I might be in the minority here, but I'm really excited that they've moved Acquisitions Inc. to the Saturday evening spot and I hope it's not a ruse. (It really didn't sound like one, based on how it came up/was discussed on the staff podcast, but who knows.) AI is always the event I most look forward to seeing at PAX, and the evening spot seems like it'll be easier to fit into my schedule. I also like that they won't be as rushed into a hasty conclusion at the two-hour mark. :)

PAX Prime attendee: '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, and soon to be '16
  • Options
    VaanroseVaanrose Pin Cushion SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm super excited to have a longer AcqInc block, but I empathize with the concert fans.

Twitter: @vaanrose

My PINS

Verbosity is my charm point.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2014

Honestly, it's mostly just wishful thinking because the alternative that they just said fuck it and wiped out a concert night for Acquisitions Inc. is a little more depressing.

So I've actually made a change on this, and there will be public recruitment. Thread will go up today or tomorrow.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited July 2014

So I've actually made a change on this, and there will be public recruitment. Thread will go up today or tomorrow.
    DAMNIT!

*adjusts his tinfoil hat and scrawls some other theories on the wall*

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    My edited-out Limozeen (homestarrunner) speculation for Saturday seems like it's worth reviving after that recent interview... maybe? no? An opening act for AI? Wouldn't the return of Homestar Runner through PAX be something? (Distant hopes of a dreamer... but still!)

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It could just be that Coulton isn't planning on touring when PAX comes around. I checked his site and he has no shows planned at all.

Come to think of it, the guy's getting quieter and quieter. I hope things are okay with him...

Edit: In fact he posted this to his (increasingly rarely-updated blog) in October of last year:
    It’s been a pretty much nonexistent tour schedule for me so far this year, which is new and different. At the end of 2012, I did the enormous bus tour with the band and John Roderick, which felt a lot to me like it put the cap on Artificial-Heart-related touring. It seemed to me that was when Artificial Heart stopped being my “new album” and became my “last album.” (“One Christmas at a Time” is technically my last album, I know, but that feels sort of like a Very Special Holiday Episode of the JoCo TV series.) Between all the opening for They Might Be Giants and my own experiments with longer band tours, it felt like I did more touring in 2011 and 2012 than I had ever done. It was an amazing stretch of really fun shows, and I learned a lot of new things about electric guitars and rock shows and audiences that were standing up. But at the end of it I was pretty tired, and starting to feel a little disconnected from my home and family, like life had gotten out of balance. Being a rock star is great fun, but it’s always trying to take over. So I decided to take a break from touring, on purpose, to just be at home a little while and get my head together, maybe write some things.

Dude just may be tired.

I'm glad I saw him on the TMBG tour. It was such a good show, and my first live exposure to both acts.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Nothing against Gearbox, but I would have traded it for the PaxDev kickoff with Klei. Huge fan of their games ;)

SinoSamba on
    3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239