As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HYPE LEVEL: OMEGA] Legend of Korra GAME DEVELOPED BY PLATINUM, RELEASE 2014

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wait, there's a taunt button?

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Hold Circle on PS3/4 and B on 360/One.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    http://youtu.be/nZVoVte7VlI
    Quick Look, with a twist.
    I loved it.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I was waiting for the "just kidding, it's awesome" but it never came.

Like he was complaining about the Naga stages killing you when hit the wall, while also saying it rips off Temple Run, but those are the fucking rules of Temple Run dude

And then complaining about fighting multiple enemy types at once? Do you even Platinum dawg?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Jason is not being the leaf enough

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The twist being that he's fucking miserable at the game and ignorant of its systems and mechanics even after having already played through it entirely?

Viskod on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    that's a real solid end

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I'm lacking in both money and time currently, but I can wait for this price to drop in a month or two and play the game then. Definitely looks fun.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It's already at a price that most games would drop to after a year or so.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I've been looking around the interwebs, getting a feel for this games general response.

All the critics hate it. Most of the people who have actually played it like it. I've actually been, ugh, reading comments, and most of the people who agree with the reviewers are just trusting them blindly to know what they are talking about.

Pretty much anyone who has actually had a go at this game finds it pretty fun and worth the money.

This game has anti-hype now.

Look at this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/10/22/the-strange-sad-abuse-of-the-last-airbender-and-the-legend-of-korra/

This guy hasn't played it either. He just cites the main critic reviews.

It's actually kind of weirdly fascinating to see when games like this crop up, because you get to see the problems of the review process so clearly. How out of sync they are with the actual audience.

It's like the reverse of DA2's reviews, which were all high, but the actual user score on metacritic was much lower.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-ii

Just some observations I picked up.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    It's flawed, sure, but at 15 bucks I'll take a Platinum game no questions asked, dig?

Also, holy hell airbending is so incredibly good.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Where to these secret codes come from that unlock the costumes? In-game, or through some external media?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    One thing I found when maxing them all.

They're all op as hell at chi charge 3.

Earth does OMG WTF BBQ damage.

Air is Hurricane Korra.

Fire teleports/warps to enemies and does amazing damage through sheer dps. (She teleports up to ledges and everything)

Water is the Perfect Storm.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Where to these secret codes come from that unlock the costumes? In-game, or through some external media?

@Emperor_Z‌ I got what you need. Do the costumes ones in Korra's room, and the Item one in the shop.
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Square - Costume
    Up, Down, Up, Triange, Square, Triangle - Costume
    Right, Right, Left, Left, Square - Item

Replace square with X and triangle with Y as needed. You need to do them fast, but they're pretty easy.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Emperor_Z wrote: »

@Emperor_Z‌ I got what you need. Do the costumes ones in Korra's room, and the Item one in the shop.
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Square - Costume
    Up, Down, Up, Triange, Square, Triangle - Costume
    Right, Right, Left, Left, Square - Item

Replace square with X and triangle with Y as needed. You need to do them fast, but they're pretty easy.
    Thanks a bunch, but I'm still curious as to where they came from.

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So the mecha tank kicked my ass a bunch. Excellent.

On Normal I'm finding this harder than Normal MGR:R.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    So the mecha tank kicked my ass a bunch. Excellent.

On Normal I'm finding this harder than Normal MGR:R.

its much harder than mgr:r because mgr had hard difficulty for those who wanted a sponkign

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man seriously that mech was no joke.

And then they throw in a tougher one at the end of the same level because fuck you

This game is awesome

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Picked up this game because I trust y'all.

Not disappointed at all so far.

But I am getting the distinct feeling that I need to put the game down and watch Book 2 before going any further.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    That first mecha tank took me an hour to down. Halfway through that, I told myself I needed to finish the level before I quit. I read that the game was a bit easy on normal, so I had been running with the talismans that halved my hp and atp for extra money and xp.

I figured that the mecha tank would have been the end of the mission, but I forgot who I was dealing with. I finally equipped the double atp talisman once I got to the suped up triads and blew through the rest of the level.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Only got to play a little bit last night, through the first couple of chapter on 'Normal'. I haven't played a Platinum game since Mad World so feel like I got thrown it at the middling-to-deep end a little with combat but enjoying it nonetheless. I myself could have used a bit more of a tutorial, but possibly there' some more advice on advanced techniques to come.

And now I won't get to play it again until Saturday and so I am sad.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    That first mecha tank took me an hour to down. Halfway through that, I told myself I needed to finish the level before I quit. I read that the game was a bit easy on normal, so I had been running with the talismans that halved my hp and atp for extra money and xp.

Who said this?

They were a filthy liar.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I've been looking around the interwebs, getting a feel for this games general response.

All the critics hate it. Most of the people who have actually played it like it. I've actually been, ugh, reading comments, and most of the people who agree with the reviewers are just trusting them blindly to know what they are talking about.

Pretty much anyone who has actually had a go at this game finds it pretty fun and worth the money.

Look at this.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/10/22/the-strange-sad-abuse-of-the-last-airbender-and-the-legend-of-korra/

It's actually kind of weirdly fascinating to see when games like this crop up, because you get to see the problems of the review process so clearly. How out of sync they are with the actual audience.

It's like the reverse of DA2's reviews, which were all high, but the actual user score on metacritic was much lower.

DA2 was most likely a victim of user review sabotage, much like Diablo 3 and many others. User scores are ludicrously unreliable for high profile games.

In this game's case, it has a 53 critic score and a 6.8 user score on Metacritic. Even if you cut out IGN and Gamespot as outliers (which admittedly their scores seem unreasonable compared to the 50-100 review scale they typically follow) it still seems like a pretty common consensus that it's not great. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a game that isn't top shelf quality, but trying to discredit all the reviewers who didn't like it seems disingenuous.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah dude when I was looking at it before the user scores were 8.3 across the board.

So just settle. Clearly the score came down.

I found it interesting that's all. If it's different now that is fine too.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    I think part of the problem is how polarized reviews can be. For many people, game is either a masterpiece or its a pile of shit. I was in Gamestop getting the shiny gengar for Pokemon today, and overheard a conversation between a customer and a game. The game was something like ~$20, and the cashier said that it was "okay, but not going to blow your mind", and the customer said "if its not going to absolutely wow me im not interested."

This isn't a bad mindset, given how big of a time investment games can be. Sometimes you've just got better things to do! But it does explain how games like this, which may not be phenomenal and don't attempt to do too much, can get absolutely thrashed.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    The thing is the thrashing is completely out of proportion to the cost of the item.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RK-6EnHlzM&feature=youtu.be

This is a combo system breakdown I did. Going into bend switching in the middle of your combo.

I actually missed something. Switching after heavy combos will make the next one come out much faster. Damn.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    If this were a $60 dollar game, solid combat or no, I'd be like "Hey, where's the rest of the fucking game?"

It didn't take me much longer to beat Metal Gear Rising than it took me to beat this game so the length isn't that far off but Rising had a supporting cast, multiple villains, a fleshed out story, and tons of codec audio as per Metal Gear tradition which really pads the game if you try to stand around to hear them all.

But this isn't that. This is a $15 dollar download title, that went the extra mile to make sure the core gameplay was solid and it very much is. If anything I'd give Activision bonus points for seeking out Platinum to do the combat.

That right there shows they really cared about the core aspect of the game.

They certainly didn't have to go to that effort, I'm sure getting Platinum involved in such a small project wasn't cheap even if they did want to help.

The combat is this games saving grace and without it, if it had some awful unresponsive glitchy mess of a system on top of being totally bare bones in every other way, then sure I'd probably agree it was crap.

I don't think the game is bad because it's rough in the other areas because I don't see a game where the people making it did a bad job, screwed up, or didn't care.

I see a game made by people that obviously did the best with what they had and put everything into making sure the combat was fun, which it is.

The only thing holding this game back was lack of faith and funding by Nick, and not error on the development end.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular

I tried the Korra's opening order(Earth/Fire/Air/Water) but nothing special happened, maybe water/earth/fire/air does something?
    Or maybe reverse Korra's order and it unlocks playable Kiyoshi?
    Let me dream!

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Speaking of secrets, what is the second unlock code for Korra's costumes?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Especially with Platinum who has a record of making

Look at this.

It's painful watching "reviewers" attempt to play games in general but holy shitcakes it's a hundred times worse when you're dealing with a game in this genre. Asking these people their opinions about a game that revolves around getting better and learning how the mechanics work and how best to abuse them is like asking a chimp to write a paper about quantum mechanics.
    It didn't take me much longer to beat Metal Gear Rising than it took me to beat this game so the length isn't that far off but Rising had a supporting cast, multiple villains, a fleshed out story, and tons of codec audio as per Metal Gear tradition which really pads the game if you try to stand around to hear them all.
    Jetstream Sam is worth that 60 bucks all by himself.

And in grand tradition, all the stuff I want to play always comes out while I'm at fucking work. *grumblegrumblefirstworldproblems*

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote: »

I tried the Korra's opening order(Earth/Fire/Air/Water) but nothing special happened, maybe water/earth/fire/air does something?
    Let me dream!

Where is it?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I put forth the notion that people don't actually have any idea just what the fuck it is they want from a review. Should it be nothing more than a robotic statement of facts, akin to the blurb on the back of a box? Should it be a personal opinion on how the game looks and plays? And if so, what if the person... doesn't like the game (GASP! Somebody doesn't like something you do? Good gravy what are the chances of that, like one in a million?!)? Should they be honest and say "Yo, I didn't like this game, I'd give it a 4", or do you really want them to put on the bullshit and go "I didn't like this game... but since other people might, I'm just going to lie and say it's a 9. Happy gaming.".

There's plenty of flaws and problems with reviews and games. But it's really hard to take it seriously when the most levied complaint boils down to "They gave a low score to something I like, fuk dem they garbage".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    who cares about fixing the system

its about saying hey that guy who is nobody special just another guy who plays games, hey i disagree with him

and about other people saying no wait i agree

and we have a hefty discussion

you are taking this way too seriously

as if its a problem that can be fixed or not

as if its something that will ever go away

as if it can be logiced

it can't

what is important is not, in fact, the game review, but making sure people understand that just because these guys get paid to review games it doesn't make their opinions any more important, valuable or objective than the rest of us

they're just dudes we trust to buy the game first. or not.

and there's nothing wrong with saying i trust what that guy has to say or i don't trust that guy

at all

nor is there anything at all wrong with pointing out that a process that requires them to play through games very quickly and then move onto the next one is going to result in a necessarily shallow appraisal

thats not even a contentious statement

its true

its no slight on them either

they simply do not have the time!

for example, i think the egm review is fair. i disagree with a couple of points but most of it is pretty on the money. its pretty evenhandedly goes through the games faults and doesn't dismiss the games strengths, but acknowledges them and contextualises them. thats a good review.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIZWM5v89-U
    Brief explanation of the basic mechanics: Dodge Offset, Style Switching, Jump and Guard Cancel, Perfect Charge and Chi Charge Cancel.

• Options
    agoaj wrote: »

Let me dream!

Did you try the Aang opening order (water earth fire air)?

• Options
    edited October 2014
    There is a substantial difference in not liking a game, and a game not being good.

People can "not like" good games. People can have genre preferences and there's nothing wrong with that.

But if your job is review games for a living, it's expected, or at least I expect them to be objective and intelligent enough to know the difference between "I don't like this" and "This was not made well."

I'm not saying that games can only be reviewed by fans of their genre, sometimes an outside eye is helpful.

But you also have to not be a petulant hack, like the person at IGN.

When they knocked the game for having to go into "Korras Room" to equip items and accessories I thought this must be some kind of menu only available from the chapter select screen, that would be bad design and worthy of complaint.

But it's not. It's the menu screen accessable at any time.

You know what other game makes you assign weapon sets and accessories from a menu screen?

Bayonetta 2.

I didn't read any complaints about that in any of those reviews. Why? Because Bayonetta is obviously a AAA game overflowing with polish so complaining about something like that would make you look like a fool.

Korra however is a cheap low budget download title so somehow it's different.

This is what I call being a hack.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I played through chapter 3 last night. Then I went on Amazon instant and started watching Avatar. So, I'm gonna blow through those, and then up to wherever the game picks up in Korra. I can't believe I've never watched these shows... It's like Dragon Ball Z without the heavy breathing filler!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I played through chapter 3 last night. Then I went on Amazon instant and started watching Avatar. So, I'm gonna blow through those, and then up to wherever the game picks up in Korra. I can't believe I've never watched these shows... It's like Dragon Ball Z without the heavy breathing filler!

And, let's be honest, much better characters/story. Not that DBZ isn't fun to watch though.

As far as the game goes, for awhile I kept thinking I had to charge up every attack before letting go to get the powered version of it. Instead, like in Morninglord's video, all you need to do is charge up the gauge and you get powered attacks until the gauge runs out. Spent almost the whole fight against the second mecha tank figuring that out while also trying to pay attention to when its attacks are electrified or not so I know whether I can counter or have to gtfo of dodge. This game likes frustrating me. :)

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Skullnumbers, you are in for a treat

That show is quality television. The first season of the first series is kind of rough, but it finds its voice about halfway through that season and shit gets real good from there.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Doing the just frame charge gives you a bit of extra damage and I think extra properties. I think I may have accidentally just frame charged that fire punch at the end that caused me to warp instantly to that guy and punch him the fuck out.

I think.

Or maybe she just does that.

Still laughing at that guy who was all "Fire when I want to die"

Fire when I want them to die.

Seriously full charge fire is just crazy.

It's such a good power for overwhelming enemies and building up to powerful aoes.

Particularly on extreme, because if you do the whole air combo they'll be blocking for the last part. Switch mid way and they get clobbered. Also i don't think they can block earth.

Basically, in extreme, I spend a lot of time switching because I have to, rather than switching because I want to.

The only problem I'm having in extreme is one of the naga segments. It's vicious and cruel.
    The fighting one at the end.
    You get one health pip.
    And they set up the ground obstacles at double speed. The only realistic way to handle it is to save your fire for them or use wind and jump then double jump to try and avoid as much as possible.

I'm basically stuck at that point right now.

I can make basically two mistakes.

Morninglord on