As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HYPE LEVEL: OMEGA] Legend of Korra GAME DEVELOPED BY PLATINUM, RELEASE 2014

18910111214»

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Level 3 Fire instantly teleports Korra to the nearest target or your locked on target. Like, no matter the distance. Even took me up to enemies on ledges from the ground.

Also, Level 3 Fire absolutely destroys the Mechs. The Red one you fight near the end of the game? I got Platinum on that bastard on Extreme difficulty using Level 3 Fire. Tore it to pieces.

I'm done with Extreme mode though. At least for now. I didn't beat it. But I'm really not in the mood to continue throwing myself at that last Naga section where you have to fight all 3 Mech types and avoid obstacles, and they throw in Pillars on those parts that you have to dodge around and can't jump, and Naga only has 1 HP, so you can't get hit by anything at all without a Water Shield up.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    yeah i mentioned all that about fire in the video, but it looked a bit different from a normal level 3 fire attack. seemed faster or something. maybe it was the angle.

i put it aside at the naga part too. im too sleepy for that shit. i was staring blankly at incoming attacks.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Extreme mode wasn't very Extreme until that point. When your accessories are:

- Always Maximum Chi / Half Health
    - Constant Health Regeneration
    - Immune to Knock-Back, Interruption, and Stagger
    - Extra Hits for more damage

You don't really need any healing items.

Also, I don't know if there are any stealth buffs happening when you level up elements, but I got all of them to Level 10 last night and I swear I was taking considerably less damage.

But that could also be because I wasn't getting hit much because constant Level 3 Chi on Air is just "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Deal With it."

Viskod on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    You get more health at the max rank of all of them.
    So you boosted your health by a ton.

I run health regen, maximum chi, immune to knockback, interruption and stagger
    and dodge behind them when you dodge at the last second

which works across any range

and seems to have a tiny bit of witch time or something

like seriously they can throw a bola at you from across the map, you dodge it at the last second and bam you are behind them

i was running that and fire 3 and half the time i had no idea what was happening. i just reacted to whatever my new situation was whenever i was teleported all over the place. it was pretty amazing. between the fire teleport and the dodge teleport you are basically nightcrawler

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »

I tried the Korra's opening order(Earth/Fire/Air/Water) but nothing special happened, maybe water/earth/fire/air does something?

Should be fire/air/water/earth, I think.
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    It's painful watching "reviewers" attempt to play games in general but holy shitcakes it's a hundred times worse when you're dealing with a game in this genre. Asking these people their opinions about a game that revolves around getting better and learning how the mechanics work and how best to abuse them is like asking a chimp to write a paper about quantum mechanics.

This article from our friends at Zeboyd talks about the same thing.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Fire/air/water/earth?

So, the order for the cycle after Korra? Huh.

• Options
    The cycle starts with Fire, the first Avatar Wan, got fire first, then air, then water, then earth.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I have two thoughts about the Korra game after beating it.

1. The Legend of Korra is a really good game at its core, and playing it makes you feel powerful and bad-ass.

2. The Legend of Korra is restrained by its budget and development window; I wish it had been given the same space and money to breathe as Bayonetta, so it could be presented as the whole package instead of fun mechanics and a single good boss fight wrapped in a phoned-in presentation.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Where to these secret codes come from that unlock the costumes? In-game, or through some external media?

@Emperor_Z‌ I got what you need. Do the costumes ones in Korra's room, and the Item one in the shop.
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Square - Costume
    Up, Down, Up, Triange, Square, Triangle - Costume
    Right, Right, Left, Left, Square - Item

Replace square with X and triangle with Y as needed. You need to do them fast, but they're pretty easy.

Thanks! If anyone's having trouble with the costume codes, it looks like you have to highlight the specific costume that the code unlocks for them to work.

Also, do the costumes give Korra any buffs or benefits, or are they cosmetic only?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It's not so much phoned in as extremely budget.

Everything about this title screams 15 dollars except the combat system.

They probably did not get even a quarter of the budget of a normal plat title.

Everything is extremely bare bones, I can see the structure underlying it all. The way the levels are designed, the way the encounters start, how they gradually ramp up in difficulty, even the mini game has a platinum feel with how you can break it open when you get used to it and the ways the various paths are set up with multiple options.
    They were forced to whip it together out of what they already knew how to do and probably did not have anywhere near enough time to polish it as they liked. I suspect this is why it is so hard: this is platinum's core exposed, without the months of polishing it for the average instead of their idiosyncratic likes.

Platinum's normal style is actually innovation. But that takes time, planning and forethought. They don't just whip it out of nowhere.
    Whereas Activision and Nick walked up to them and said: "The usual, and make it snappy."

It's like giving the challenger for a heavyweight title match 1 week to prepare.

I think they did actually care about the other parts of the game. They were just forced to triage the polish on them so that the part they are famous for, the part nobody would ever forgive them for fucking up, was up to their usual standard. They accomplished that goal with flying colours.

But I think the reviewers who say this isn't a very good Avatar game are right. It isn't anything like the show. It's one long extended never ending awesome as hell fight scene. And that's about it.

I honestly wouldn't recommend this game to anyone who was looking for an avatar game experience. This is a korra themed platinum combat experience. The rest is easily forgettable.

One little character moment I really liked though in pro bending mode.
    When bolin is the last guy holding the line vs multiple attackers he will shout "I AM NUKTUK! HERO OF THE SOUTH!"

Sometimes he shouts this and then fails horribly. But I also had a game where he shouted this and then proceeded to be completely untouchable for ten seconds and end it with a counter that knocked out the last guy. Who was about two feet away from him so it looked amazing.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    This is the Avatar game Korra would make because it's just a game about punching people.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Man, I hope they eventually make another game in this vein, with more of it.

But having said that, I don't think the poor reviews bode well for Nickelodeon's faith in future Avatar games with Platinum.

Which is a damn shame.

• Options
    It really is. With all the stuff the Avatar can do, a AAA Platinum backed Avatar series of games would literally be family friendly Bayonetta.

Strong female protagonist, excellent combat, insane over the top action.

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Finished normal mode and pro-bending mode in 8 hours

Game is fun. I had some difficulties with a couple of the mecha tank fights, but once I got a handle on the fights, they were easy enough. I mostly ran around with the 1/2 health talismans, so I was at like 1/4. That got me to the difficult, tighter fights that I wanted, since they left off hard mode at the beginning. I'll be back for that mode later, but it's on to Bayo 2 now.

Well worth the $15.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I really don't get enough play time these days. Working my way through it one short play session at a time, up to chapter 7 now. I've still been mostly button bashing, but with a little more experience under my belt I went back and watched Morninglord's combo basics video and can see a lot more possibilities, so thanks for that!

And yeah, money well spent (even if it was $23 here in the land down under).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    So, mostly done with the game. Got a gold medal for normal difficulty, finished pro-bending. Might try more of extreme, maybe go for the achievement for biz-bender. But again. Mostly done.

Medal system is interesting. Initially assumed it was all about speed, but getting silvers for level 3 firebending facerolls has forced me to reevaluate.

The combo portion of the score isn't just a raw hit counter. It adds a huge bonus for takedowns and counters. Which seems to improve the later into a combo you work it in.

This makes waterbending, with its lower damage and ranged finishers, pretty beastly for getting platinums.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Sooo I dont have time to play, but iknow the barriers the tweet is talking about, still dont quite have air though. Soooo whats in the box?!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Sooo I dont have time to play, but iknow the barriers the tweet is talking about, still dont quite have air though. Soooo whats in the box?!

Punching.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Hey on PC can I used a 360 controller?

My xbox rrod'ed and Im not buying a new one

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Hey on PC can I used a 360 controller?

You sure can, in fact it's recommended by the game.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Oh good. Steam it is

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited October 2014
    So what is this barrier errybody talking about? I found a cave in level 5 where there were barriers in each corner, and I destroyed em in the suggested Wan order, then popped the chest and got... an Equalist Glove. :I

Is that the thing? TELL ME WHAT THE THING IS

Ed; I did it again, this time starting at Water and then following the cycle. If you do that, a second chest appears outside the cave with a random item in it. Is nothing special. :I

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Also on medium Pro Bending any opponent can reflect any element. Which is some supreme bullshit. Yay more difficulty, but way to break kayfabe. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I never thought about that.
    That doesn't make a whole ton of sense.
    Oh well.
    It's platinum. They don't care about making sense.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I still wish I had my $15 back. I play games for Story and Art, and sometimes just sort of endure everything else in order to reach more Story and Art. Judged by those goals, purchasing this game was a very poor decision. I should have paid closer attention to the specific features others were praising in their positive reviews, and recognized that those were mostly features I don't actually value.

Ah well, live and learn. I'm still pretty new to these forums, so eventually I'll figure out who else around here shares my tastes, and who doesn't, and filter reviews accordingly.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Sorry man. I hope I wasn't the one who gave you the wrong impression.

The art is great looking but the story is very much lacking.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    I wish I could broadcast this to everyone. People need to be both aware and wary of this game.

GREAT KORRA-THEMED ACTION GAME. MEDIOCRE KORRA GAME

Emperor_Z on
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    No worries, I based my purchase on a pretty huge tide of positive reviews. It's my own fault for not verifying what specific parts of the game everyone was praising.

And I disagree on the art. The character animation is all right, but environment design feels super bland. It reminds me of all those Dragonball and Naruto shovelware games my little brothers used to bring home.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The levels are embarrassingly basic, yes.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Yeah levels are very rarely their cup of tea when pushed for time. They gotta really work at it. For example, bayonetta 2's levels are gorgeous, because they've been working on it for 5 years.
    I was thinking of the character animation.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    If Bayo is a game akin to a plump delicious turkey, then Korra is a delicious skeleton with no meat on it, but maybe some stuffing or a potato :p

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    That is a super weird analogy and I'm just going to put it over here into "did not hear that it's too creepy" :P

Morninglord on
  • Options
    If Bayo is a game akin to a plump delicious turkey, then Korra is a delicious skeleton with no meat on it, but maybe some stuffing or a potato :p

But it's still delicious?

So the moral of the story is don't judge a book by its level of meat?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Saw this and thought it was super cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hax17hfTcjE

Morninglord on
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    I picked this up when it was around 3 dollars during a weekend sale. I had seen the original series but none of the Korra stuff (I had also heard it's a decent action game but not a very good story game).

And I will definitely corroborate that because it has no semblance of a coherent story. Especially if you haven't seen any of The Legend of Korra The first 4 levels are literally name drops with no exposition. Bolin and Mako get knocked out immediately in the pro-bending level and I just assumed they were faceless mooks. Then it's just incoherent: "Where are you Naga" (who or what is Naga?), "I'll go see Tenzin at the air temple" (who is Tenzin?).

I've since seen the first season so I recognize some of the names and stuff makes more sense like why there are 8 hundred billion people with tazers and bolas. It really feels like there's supposed to be more scenes between levels. "I'm going to go talk to Tenzin!" Then you go to the temple and break jars and then you're back to the city. No exposition or establishing shots or travel montage or anything.

So the story doesn't mesh with the show's story well because you never see any of the show's characters and it doesn't tell its own story very well because it's basically snippets of fan-fiction.

Graphicswise the cel-shaded character design is passable by the environments are pretty bland. They remind me of PSX-era Spyro the Dragon so far.

But the combat is frenetic and slowly becoming engaging as more options become available (the game doesn't do a very good job tutorializing. I still have no idea what my chi meter is supposed to do or let me do and my heavy freeze attack seems unaimable). It sort of reminds me of the Xbox Ninja Gaiden with no plot. Go over there and murder things with combos.

I endorse it as a $3.75 beat-'em-up brawler but it would have been nice to see something with a coherent story and more depth. It definitely fits in my $1/hour ideal game fun metric at that price.

Now if only I had written this review a year ago it might have helped someone.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    I made a tutorial video covering the basics/combo system. It explains the chi meter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RK-6EnHlzM

Morninglord on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    @President Rex, the Legend of Korra show is GREAT. Well worth tracking down. I'll admit the second season is the weakest mainly due to a lame big bad, but there's an awesome flashback to the first avatar, plus you get introduced to Varrick, the guy in my avatar. So damn good.

But yes, the greatness of the TV show is the main reason the lame story in the game is such a kick to the crotch.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    No idea how the blocking works, especially against the earth bender in the 3v1 boss fights. There is no time of pressing left trigger that lets me counter anything he does. He just magically gets to hit me with his first attack no matter where I am in the marketplace in level 4 (? ...some sort of city after fighting a mech). The earth bender also seems capable of taking all of my health in one flurry of attacks if my roll/dodge right trigger is on cooldown from dodging all the fire and ice shards.

It doesn't help that Korra feels very sluggish with the water bending, not to mention the earth bending that seems completely useless because I'll get killed trying to get an attack off while fighting the camera to look at the guy I want to be attacking.

I also don't understand why this game doesn't have the controller layout on the controller settings page. Why even bother having a page if "Vibration On/Off" is the only setting.