As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There's a new SE++ [Football] thread. Post there.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    Iceland beat Austria with pretty much the last kick of the game.

They finish second in the group ahead of Portugal.

• Options
    Ireland beat Italy!

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Well, it's only ten minutes or so after kickoff, let's see how the other semi is go-- JESUS CHRIST CHILE

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Colombia struck back, and should've gotten at least one in but goddamn is Bravo a beast.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Copa America spoilered in case anyone DVR'd it.
    Came home from work expecting Copa America to be decided while I was in transit, went online to check result and saw it was the 110th minute, so managed to catch the last 10 minutes and shootout. So mostly I got the drama at the end and the final result. Yay me!

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Copa America spoilered in case anyone DVR'd it.
    Came home from work expecting Copa America to be decided while I was in transit, went online to check result and saw it was the 110th minute, so managed to catch the last 10 minutes and shootout. So mostly I got the drama at the end and the final result. Yay me!
    The first half was awful. It was incredibly chippy and saw two players sent off. One of them probably deserved it. The ref was overall awful. Second half settled in more of a rhythm, and I thought Argentina would score, but they didn't. When it went to extra time, I figured it'd go to penalties. I thought after the first shot got saved the Albiceleste would prevail, but oy, Messi...

• Options
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

• Options
    From what I'm reading after that, though, that may be the least of the Argentine federation's problems at the moment.

Apparently there's a court case tomorrow that, if it breaks a certain way, may get the federation suspended by FIFA.

• Options
    You may have spoken too soon. ESPN Argentina is supposedly confirming Mascherano and Aguero are retiring, too, with Lavezzi, Higuian, Di Maria, and Biglia rumored to be joining the exodus.

That's... I'm still coming to terms with the fact I might never see those Argentine greats together on the field again. They still would have been a great team to try for 2018. I'm just reeling.

• Options

My favorite anecdote so far is that at the most recent election for president of the AFA, the vote was tied 38 to 38 with 75 voters.

• Options
    And here I was feeling guilty for not having updated the thread title, but it just keeps becoming relevant again.

• Options
    A tactical masterclass from Italy to beat Spain.

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Suck it Spain

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Green LanternGreen Lantern Registered User regular
    Iceland leading against england in a championship cgame you can't make up stuff like that

• Options
    English Team really committed to this leaving Europe thing right now.

• Options
    Wow

Just wow

• Options
    Heia Island!

Can you imagine if Iceland beat France in Paris?

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    2016 the year of soccer miracles

Green Lantern on
  • Options
    Iceland were fantastic.

• Options
    I bet some people made a lot of money from the Italy/Iceland double today

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    In these uncertain times it's nice to know there is at least one thing that will always be true.

English goalkeepers suck.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Til hamingju!

HoA-player wrote: »
    In these uncertain times it's nice to know there is at least one thing that will always be true.

English goalkeepers suck.

crosspost:

• Options
    Never Forget

• Options
    Fucking Hell!!

Wales!!!

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Maaaan, that second goal by Robson-Kanu with the Cruyff turn in the middle of the box and wrong-footing three defenders at once.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    YES take that italy

• Options
    Nerve wracking

• Options
  • Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Still rooting for Iceland but it doesn't look good for them right now...

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    The dream is dead, but its still a hell of a run.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Fuck fuck fuckity fuck.

Amateur Social Football rant:
    Had a game scheduled at 6pm tonight, on a Monday, after work, which is fine. Ever since they set up lights at these all-weather artificial turf fields around the city, you get a handful of weeknight games, which is a bit more effort than a Saturday afternoon, but at least you get to play out a full round robin rather than getting cancelled and losing half the season because every field is a sodden mud pit more suitable for mud runs or bikini wrestling*.

Except there are 6 teams here. And only two fields. So we tried to call up the regional football federation to sort out who was supposed to be where, but no one is answering. At the point we're supposed to kickoff, however, one of the other teams isn't ready. They were a few players short, so we walk onto that field because, hey, they don't even have enough players. But then they won't leave the field, and the late car turns up. They have enough players, and we are told we're the lowest grade so get off. We tell them it's past kick off, and their players still aren't even stripped and ready, while we're standing in the center circle waiting for them to get off the field so we can start. It's an impasse. We flip a coin. Our game loses, so we vacate.

They still haven't taken the field. We're sitting on the sidelines, having walked off and already taken off our boots and handing in our shirts, and they still haven't taken the field.

Apparently, they manage to get a phonecall in to the football association. They walk on to the pitch 15 minutes late and inform us we have the field after them.

Fuck you.

21 minutes after our scheduled kickoff, the association updates the website. Our kickoff is now 7:40. Neither affected team is contacted. It's not posted as a transfer or new time, just updated with a new kickoff time. 21 minutes after kickoff, we have a new time on a little over an hours notice - you know, if anyone had bothered to actually notify anyone. By the time the new time filters through to the remaining players, some people have already gone home. And some people can't stay. It's a weeknight. They have things that need doing, and can't stick around for another 3 hours for a game that's not going to kick off for over an hour from now. They've moved dinners or scheduled shifts or made arrangements and can't change them 20 minutes after we were supposed to start playing.

We fuck off down the pub. We know we're not playing, no matter what the website update says, and neither is our opposition.

So now we're facing the possibility that the association is going to fuck us on this one. Match abandonment fine for the team and clubs. No result recorded. Which is bullshit, not because of the fact we've won 4 out of 5 matches with our opposition in the past, or that we're siting 4th on the table, because that's just results. No, it's bullshit because 30 fucking people turned up to play a game on a weeknight despite having to make a range of personal compromises and sacrifices to do so, and got told 'we fucked up but you're going to be the ones who pay for it - possibly literally'.

So fuck the association, too.

*I couldn't actually think of any good sports played in mud

Fishman on
  • Options
    Update: The association has admitted it was their mistake and apologised, so we won't be facing repercussions? Not monetary ones, anyway. Not clear if they'll reschedule the match or record it as abandoned.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Ronaldo left the final today with a knee injury on a stretcher.

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    Ronaldo left the final today with a knee injury on a stretcher.

A shame really. Even if I'm rooting for les Bleus.

• Options
    He came back to the sideline for the extra time and was with them during the celebration. He is limping but not using crutches or anything.

• Options
    As a person of ethnic Portuguese descent, I moot that the thread title be changed.

Wait, it's my thread. I can just change it unilaterally. It's the FIFA administration way!

Eat it, smelly cheese-eating garlic-swilling rooster-cock type people!

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    FIFA disbands racism task force ahead of World Cup in Russia
    MANCHESTER, England (AP) — FIFA has disbanded its anti-racism task force, declaring the work complete despite ongoing concerns about discriminatory behavior in 2018 World Cup host Russia.

FIFA wrote to members of the task force to say that it has "completely fulfilled its temporary mission" and "is hereby dissolved and no longer in operation."

THANK GOD RACISM IS NO LONGER A PROBLEM IN FOOTBALL!

Just...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQD4dzVkwk

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Fifa is beyond parody