As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Awkward Thread

DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
So it's 8:45 and I'm at home. I've just finished setting up my PS4 for a work related test that's starting at 9:00. I haven't eaten and don't feel like making something, so I think, "I can totally make it to the nearest take-out place and back." I drive there, and I'm in and out in a breeze. Then I get cocky.

I can get Starbucks and be home in time, right? I walk in, and there's a couple in front of me finishing up at the counter. I order my coffee, and while I'm waiting, they come up to me and ask if I could help jump start their car. Now they seem nice enough, nothing dodgy about them, but it's around 8:55 at this point. Anxiety takes over. Any other time, I'd have gladly helped out, but I don't really want to have to awkwardly explain that I have to be at home in front of my PlayStation in five minutes ... so I make a judgement call.

I lie. I say, "I'm so sorry, but I walked here." There's guilt, sure, but I'm in a rush for time, and rational me realises they're in a busy parking lot by a Starbucks; these guys aren't going to have any trouble getting someone to help. Sure enough, not long after, they're heading out with someone who's a much better person than I am. A minute later, I grab my coffee and walk out the store.

I take a few steps. Across the lot, I catch the eye of the guy getting his car fixed. Directly. Opposite. Mine. I look around, giving my best "what was I doing?" impression ... and then I turn on my heels and walk home, rather than deal with the crippling embarrassment that would be driving my car in front of them.

An hour later, I changed my T-shirt and went back for it.

Hello! I'm Neilan, and I've been making poor decisions as a result of awkwardness since 1986. Do you?

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Today I was alone in my office and I farted mere seconds before one of our techs walked in to do stuff on my computer.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I ate hot wings last night, this morning they decided to come out while I am at work. So I started to walk to the bathroom when I realized "Shit, the janitor is probably cleaning it right now, he always gets mad when I use the restroom right after he cleans it... but it's okay I'll just say "I have a pooping emergency!" and run past him.

Well, he had long since finished cleaning the restroom, but as I walked down the hallway toward the back of the store I started muttering to myself at a level you'd be able to hear if you were within 2 feet of me "I have a pooping emergency, I have a pooping emergency, i have a pooping emergency" Swung around the corner, BOOM face to face with a coworker. I have a pooping emergency :shock:

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Today I got to teach my Junior High School students in Japan words such as dead, bodies, burns, etc as part of our English chapter on the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagaski.

I'm American, so, that was, uh, swell.

But after class in the hall one of my boys came up behind me and gave me a hug and told me that he missed me and that also I was his boyfriend now.

So I guess that means that we're cool.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Puttin' the AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW in Awkward.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    So it's 8:45 and I'm at home. I've just finished setting up my PS4 for a work related test that's starting at 9:00. I haven't eaten and don't feel like making something, so I think, "I can totally make it to the nearest take-out place and back." I drive there, and I'm in and out in a breeze. Then I get cocky.

I can get Starbucks and be home in time, right? I walk in, and there's a couple in front of me finishing up at the counter. I order my coffee, and while I'm waiting, they come up to me and ask if I could help jump start their car. Now they seem nice enough, nothing dodgy about them, but it's around 8:55 at this point. Anxiety takes over. Any other time, I'd have gladly helped out, but I don't really want to have to awkwardly explain that I have to be at home in front of my PlayStation in five minutes ... so I make a judgement call.

I lie. I say, "I'm so sorry, but I walked here." There's guilt, sure, but I'm in a rush for time, and rational me realises they're in a busy parking lot by a Starbucks; these guys aren't going to have any trouble getting someone to help. Sure enough, not long after, they're heading out with someone who's a much better person than I am. A minute later, I grab my coffee and walk out the store.

I take a few steps. Across the lot, I catch the eye of the guy getting his car fixed. Directly. Opposite. Mine. I look around, giving my best "what was I doing?" impression ... and then I turn on my heels and walk home, rather than deal with the crippling embarrassment that would be driving my car in front of them.

Hello! I'm Neilan, and I've been making poor decisions as a result of awkwardness since 1986. Do you?

Why didn't you just say you gotta do a work thing?

I mean I'm pretty sure if a prostitute was in the same situation she would say, I gotta go to work, not, sorry lady, those dicks don't screw themselves.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    The obvious car excuse is to say you've got a computer.

broken image link
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Blake T wrote: »
    Darric wrote: »

Why didn't you just say you gotta do a work thing?

I mean I'm pretty sure if a prostitute was in the same situation she would say, I gotta go to work, not, sorry lady, those dicks don't screw themselves.

Answering this would suggest I'm adequately equipped to explain why I do the things I do. I'm not!

I guess I figured that saying, "I really don't have five minutes to spare", especially a work excuse at 9pm, would seem like too obvious a lie, and I didn't want to be that person who lies. So, instead, I lied.

Darric on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    i actually don't understand a lot of forms of social awkwardness

there was a time where this combined with a bunch of other weird social behaviors i had actually caused me to like, bring it up to my psych like "dude am i like fuckin' autistic or something?" and he was like "nah, you have some kind of non-specified personality disorder that doesn't fit in the DSM but it's not autism" and i'm like "oh"

but like, the concept of second-hand embarrassment, or fremdschamen, or pena ajena? however you want to call it, I don't get it. Like I understand the concept on an intellectual level, in the sense that I can read about it and observe it in others and it's been explained to me but like

I have no ability to understand what it's like on an emotional level because that's not something I feel

shit's weird yo

brains are weird

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Brains are very weird indeed.

488W936.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The obvious car excuse is to say you've got a computer.

As long as you hook the cables up correctly, it is 100% safe to jump-start a car, computers or not.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I will (and have) jaywalk multiple times and add precious minutes to my walk time just to circumnavigate clipboard-wielding Greenpeacers

"No thanks, I don't give money or information to anybody on the street, I prefer more verified avenues for my charitable donations" is so easy to say in theory, but in practice, it's like "No thanks, I'm on my way to... a funeral?"

• Options
    It's also amusing to discover that I guess I'm perfectly okay with telling a bunch of people that I'm an awkward idiot that did a stupid thing for a selfish reason (internet anonymity aside, I've since told this story to a lot of my friends), but to seem like a jerk for a moment to complete strangers whom I'll never see again? Nope.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Did you get home in time for 9pm?

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I will (and have) jaywalk multiple times and add precious minutes to my walk time just to circumnavigate clipboard-wielding Greenpeacers

"No thanks, I don't give money or information to anybody on the street, I prefer more verified avenues for my charitable donations" is so easy to say in theory, but in practice, it's like "No thanks, I'm on my way to... a funeral?"

It wasn't Greenpeace, but every year at PAX there's some group that stands a few blocks away from the convention center and tries to talk to anyone that goes by.

My buddy and I were on our way to dinner and he actually starts talking to one of these people. He talked to them for like 20 minutes! I'm mostly convinced he did it to annoy me.

• Options
    I was a couple minutes late! I walked fast.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I get incredibly awkward when I realize I'm walk into a situation where someting is expected of me and I don't know for sure what I'm going to say.

Like, even if it's something really mundane, I have to have some degree of planning on how I'm going to go into it, otherwise it's fucking MAYDAY MAYDAY ESCAPE SEEK EXIT.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    My solution for people collecting money/signatures on the street is a quick 'no thanks' hand movement, a 'sorry' if it's a charity and no eye-contact.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    My way of avoiding people trying to get the attention of folks as they walk by is to always wear my sunglasses.

If you just keep walking and don't make eye contact you can at least attempt to pretend you just didn't see them!

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    street canvassers in general kind of annoy me because it's such an inefficient way to raise money that it makes me frown on the organizations that employ the people; just like, ugh.

I have taken to finding perverse joy in little awkward moments though. Like, when the supermarket tellers ask me if I want to donate a dollar to fight Adult Tiny Bone Disorder or whatever I just look them dead in the eye and say 'nah, no thanks.'

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    this is my thread
    it was made for me

i have a bad habit of blundering through incredibly awkward situations totally unawares, then reflecting on it later and wishing i didn't exist

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    The worst was the lady doing the whole signup/charity deal who actually leapt in front of me so suddenly that my options were to stop or walk right into/over her.
    No, I'm not going to tell you which I chose.

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    "Enjoy the food!" - server

"You too!" - me

Every time

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »

"You too!" - me

Every time

zibzob2.gif

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Nothing but net, every time

:sob:

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »

"You too!" - me

Every time

I deliver food so mine is as I'm leaving

Customer "Drive Safe"

Me " You too"...... silently "dammit"

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

The trick here being since that it is food from a Japanese combini that it is not actually the least bit hot at all. Gotta keep customers from buying it to maintain the illusion.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Working retail and getting the gender wrong of whoever you were helping was always akward.

"Hello sir"

"Excuse me!?"

"......"

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    my entire FUCKINGGGGGGG life

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i have called my teacher mummy in front of the entire class (especially weird since she died when i was 3????)

i have waved at someone waving only to realize they were waving at someone behind me

i have shat myself on a cub scout camping trip and had to bury my shame on the shore of a lake

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I once was so sure that someone in front of me was waving at someone behind me (I didn't recognise them or who they were with, for some reason) that I walked about 200 yards ignoring them, and on realising who it was just veered away to the right rather than explain myself. I never spoke to them again.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i have called my teacher mummy in front of the entire class (especially weird since she died when i was 3????)

for like a week after my dad visited, i kept almost calling my boss dad

of course i have also called my teachers dad or mom in the past

• Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    i have shat myself on a cub scout camping trip and had to bury my shame on the shore of a lake
    pitch for the next friday the 13th??

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Working retail and getting the gender wrong of whoever you were helping was always akward.

"Hello sir"

"Excuse me!?"

"......"

I had long hair in high school (guy) and once had a waiter approach the table I was sitting at with my mother and sister and open with "So, what can I get you three ladies today?"

Reversing the situation, while ringing up a family of four the youngest, a girl of maybe 3 or whatever age they start being able to form coherent questions, once asked me why I "talked like a boy."

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this is completely accurate to my romantic life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlYkIJVguCU

This fits really well in this thread too.

broken image link
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Brains are very weird indeed.

Hush now
    I would rather be weird than creepy

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah this one time I jumped over a

You know what I think I told that story here before

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I spent some time at a weird dinner theatre/hotel in Yukon near the Alaska border and got to know this girl, a very friendly hippy-dippy type. On my last day working there she gives me a six-hour lift all the way back to Whitehorse, long empty stretches of Trans-Alaskan highway, majestic scenery, slightly dodgy pit stops at seemingly abandoned gas stations, etc.

So she drops me off at the hostel and gives me a great big hug and says something to the effect of "I love Nova Scotia, maybe I can stay at your place if I'm ever around?" to which I reply, instantaneously, "Oh well maybe not".

What? WHAT?! Why did I say that?! I didn't feel that, she was pretty awesome! It's not like that was how I actually felt and I just failed to filter it, I just said this completely incorrect and emotionally damaging thing with zero hesitation.

She looks simultaneously crushed and pissed. She heel turns towards the car, I stagger away from the scene wide eyed and shocked at the betrayal of myself, by myself. Never see or hear from her again. Every now and then I will think of this and bang my cranium on something, wherever I am.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I used to be friends with a bunch of people on an internet forum.

And then I got depressed.

And in the throes of that depression, I hurt myself a lot.

Which was super awkward for everyone.

This discussion has been closed.