As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Awkward Thread

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I spent some time at a weird dinner theatre/hotel in Yukon near the Alaska border and got to know this girl, a very friendly hippy-dippy type. On my last day working there she gives me a six-hour lift all the way back to Whitehorse, long empty stretches of Trans-Alaskan highway, majestic scenery, slightly dodgy pit stops at seemingly abandoned gas stations, etc.

So she drops me off at the hostel and gives me a great big hug and says something to the effect of "I love Nova Scotia, maybe I can stay at your place if I'm ever around?" to which I reply, instantaneously, "Oh well maybe not".

What? WHAT?! Why did I say that?! I didn't feel that, she was pretty awesome! It's not like that was how I actually felt and I just failed to filter it, I just said this completely incorrect and emotionally damaging thing with zero hesitation.

She looks simultaneously crushed and pissed. She heel turns towards the car, I stagger away from the scene wide eyed and shocked at the betrayal of myself, by myself. Never see or hear from her again. Every now and then I will think of this and bang my cranium on something, wherever I am.

Hahaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOZbfgZiks4&feature=kp

• Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Over the weekend I went to Tims to grab a coffee. My usual Saturday morning coffee routine is to just slap on some shorts, grab my debit card and walk to the coffee place that is 2 minutes from my building. I never bother with my wallet or anything like that - it's a quick 'in and out' deal.

Well last Saturday I commenced the ritual. Shorts, shirt, sandals, card, out the door. On the way to Tims, there was a homeless dude sitting at the corner asking for money. I hate the "pretend they don't exist" attitude so as he reaches out towards me I say "sorry man, I don't have anything on me".

Now I'm not sure why I did what I did next, but for whatever reason I felt compelled to prove to him that I wasn't just being a jerk. I didn't want this complete stranger to think poorly of me! Sure of myself, I reach into my shorts hastily, palm my card, and flip the pockets inside out.

Now I had been out drinking the night before, and typically when I go out, I bring a bunch of cash to limit the chances of me losing a credit card or something.

I forgot this.

I don't know why I didn't find it suspicious that these shorts were already out, or odd that my wallet was already on my bedside table. I'm not a morning person; I guess putting two dots together when I wake up is an insurmountable task to my withered, horrible brain.

So I flip my pockets inside out in front of this hungry, homeless man, and my shorts explode with cash. We are talking full on, cartoon, shaking a rich kid upside down levels of bills.

As these various green pieces of paper fly and flutter all around me, I am paralyzed with emotion. I am just standing there, like a brain damaged simpleton, holding my pockets out, eye locked with the poor homeless man I just rejected as cash encircles the both of us.

We stared at each other long enough for each bill to land softly on the ground around me.

Then I did what I always do in awkward social situations: I panicked.

Without exchanging a word I spun around and bolted. I ran faster than I have ever run in quite some time. I didn't even know where I was running to. I just knew I had to run. I finally understood Forrest Gump.

After about two blocks, I decided I had distanced myself enough from that entire exchange, and took a moment to collect myself and assess my options.

I then walked the long way around to the coffee shop.

And that's how a coffee cost me 82 dollars.

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    Over the weekend I went to Tims to grab a coffee. My usual Saturday morning coffee routine is to just slap on some shorts, grab my debit card and walk to the coffee place that is 2 minutes from my building. I never bother with my wallet or anything like that - it's a quick 'in and out' deal.

Well last Saturday I commenced the ritual. Shorts, shirt, sandals, card, out the door. On the way to Tims, there was a homeless dude sitting at the corner asking for money. I hate the "pretend they don't exist" attitude so as he reaches out towards me I say "sorry man, I don't have anything on me".

Now I'm not sure why I did what I did next, but for whatever reason I felt compelled to prove to him that I wasn't just being a jerk. I didn't want this complete stranger to think poorly of me! Sure of myself, I reach into my shorts hastily, palm my card, and flip the pockets inside out.

Now I had been out drinking the night before, and typically when I go out, I bring a bunch of cash to limit the chances of me losing a credit card or something.

I forgot this.

I don't know why I didn't find it suspicious that these shorts were already out, or odd that my wallet was already on my bedside table. I'm not a morning person; I guess putting two dots together when I wake up is an insurmountable task to my withered, horrible brain.

So I flip my pockets inside out in front of this hungry, homeless man, and my shorts explode with cash. We are talking full on, cartoon, shaking a rich kid upside down levels of bills.

As these various green pieces of paper fly and flutter all around me, I am paralyzed with emotion. I am just standing there, like a brain damaged simpleton, holding my pockets out, eye locked with the poor homeless man I just rejected as cash encircles the both of us.

We stared at each other long enough for each bill to land softly on the ground around me.

Without exchanging a word I spun around and bolted. I ran faster than I have ever run in quite some time. I didn't even know where I was running to. I just knew I had to run. I finally understood Forrest Gump.

After about two blocks, I decided I had distanced myself enough from that entire exchange, and took a moment to collect myself and assess my options.

You tell the best fucking stories

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    I can't tell what is actually awkward anymore, because I tend to overanalyse everything until I've convinced myself it was awkward

writing awkward over and over makes me realize that awkward is a awkward word

awkward

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well who came up with the bright idea to put the letter S in lisp?

I will give you an awkward story
    I just moved here and started working at the Hell known to men. I don't know anyone. So a girl at work is playing her DS so I attempt after several weeks to ask what game she is playing.
    I quietly ask and get the rather Loud reply of NO I will not go out with you. I sigh and sulk back into the bench and I don't think I talked to anyone for a year after that.

Another awkward story. When they were switching supervisors for overnight . One of outgoing ones says in the start of shift meeting. you know blank? He scared the crap out of me! I thought he was going to kill me! it turns out he is a pretty nice guy.

• Options
    My friend's dad loves to tell this story

Once, when I was about 9 or 10 years old, we (my friend and I) went to Men's Wearhouse with his dad because he needed to purchase a suit for work

Relevant to this story is that his dad has literally the worst farts I've smelled in my entire life, they strongly resemble the scent of a not-so-fresh corpse, and he farts very frequently

So I'm walking around the store, just looking at all the clothes that don't fit me, when I turn a corner and all of a sudden, there is his ass, right in my face, and I gasp just a little bit because I almost ran into a grown man's ass

And he lets loose the mother of all Tsar Bomba farts directly into my 3rd-grader mouth

The way he tells it, he had been holding it in for a long time because he couldn't find a place to fart where there weren't a ton of people around, so he thought he had finally found one but didn't notice me right there, so he let it loose in a glorious cheek flapper

I was going to do the polite thing and not say a word about it, and just be content to spend the rest of my life in awkward silence whenever he was around, but he giddily lets out a huge belly laugh and starts going around the store telling random strangers of the Death Breath he just flatulated in my face

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Every so often I go home to visit my parents, like you do. When the visit ends, I hug them goodbye. I see my SO pretty much every day, so, muscle memory being what it is, I figure it's only a matter of time before I hug one of my parents and then reflexively kiss them on the mouth.

I have told both of them this in order to pre-emptively lessen the embarrassment.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Kiss your dad square on the lips

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    When I was maybe 20 there was this guy and we liked each other. We were not really in a position to be together for lots of reasons, but we both knew we liked each other.

One day we were sitting around talking about music, and he said something about Celine Dion. The Titanic had come out a couple years before and that song was STILL being overplayed and I didn't like it in the first place, nor did I like the movie. So I said I thought the movie might have been more watchable if she'd gone down with the ship, and there was this silence.

Because you see, we'd made each other mix tapes because nerds, and I hadn't gotten around to listening to his because I'd been so busy, but I'd told him I had because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. And I realized in that moment that the song I'd just expressed a colorful loathing for was on there and important to him and that silence was what it sounds like when you walk up to a child and break their favorite toy in front of them.

Ever since, when someone asks me what I think of a song I wait to hear what they think first.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    one day in seventh grade i woke up feeling awful, and i tried to get my mom to let me stay home from school, but unless we woke up vomiting she never let us stay home

instead she just tells me to take some tylenol, which were these purple chewable tablets because i hated swallowing pills then

so i get through homeroom, but i'm feeling worse and worse, and in first period science i knew i was going to have to throw up

i ask to go to the bathroom, but at our middle school there was this process where you had to sign out of class in a book, with your name and the time

i get the book, but at that point it was too late, i started throwing up this pure purple vomit all over the long black science tables, and everyone jumps back

the first wave passes, but for some reason, instead of running to the bathroom (which was basically right across the hall) to minimize the damage, i start signing the book, slowly get through my name, dazedly look up at the clock to get the sign out time and then start throwing up again

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    ceres wrote: »
    When I was maybe 20 there was this guy and we liked each other. We were not really in a position to be together for lots of reasons, but we both knew we liked each other.

One day we were sitting around talking about music, and he said something about Celine Dion. The Titanic had come out a couple years before and that song was STILL being overplayed and I didn't like it in the first place, nor did I like the movie. So I said I thought the movie might have been more watchable if she'd gone down with the ship, and there was this silence.

Because you see, we'd made each other mix tapes because nerds, and I hadn't gotten around to listening to his because I'd been so busy, but I'd told him I had because I didn't want to hurt his feelings. And I realized in that moment that the song I'd just expressed a colorful loathing for was on there and important to him and that silence was what it sounds like when you walk up to a child and break their favorite toy in front of them.

Ever since, when someone asks me what I think of a song I wait to hear what they think first.

I think him liking My Heart Will Go On without a trace of irony is as acceptable a reason to not be with someone as anything else

Like, for instance, your SO asking if you want to join the Columbia Record Club

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Well duh! Columbia Record Club?

Hah!

Doubleday Music Club is the greatest.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I definitely agree.

That story also marks the last time I did the trading mix tapes thing, despite the fact that I still want to, because nerd.

• Options
    ? Columbia record club? Doubleday?
    They sound familiar

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    the solution to the clipboard people is headphones

also never shake their hands

• Options
    I didn't realize until after I was married that mix tapes were actually a romantic thing. I thought it was just a friendly thing to do to introduce somebody to some new music you could both talk about and enjoy.

When my wife and I first met, I had just gotten out of a really bad, abusive, controlling relationship and I was so not in a frame of mind to interpret any advances as anything other than friendly. So when Christina started getting all friendly and asking for my number/hanging on my every word in every conversation she was even tangentially involved in/calling me on my way home from work every day, I just thought she was being nice. So to reciprocate, I made her a mix tape. I also gave her my tater tots at pretty much every lunch break.

Unbeknownst to me at the time, she took it in a very encouraging way, and sent one of my friends (who happens to be a girl) to talk to me and gauge my interest in pursuing her. So she asks me, "What do you think of Christina?" I am the dumb, so I respond, "She's nice..." and she asks me, "Do you think you could go out with her?"

The phrasing of the question is very important. The word "could" is key, here. See, I haven't even considered that as an option at this point, and here's this beautiful woman who I consider far, far out of my league. So I respond, "Nope."

An hour later I return to the lounge and Christina has obviously been crying, but she tries her best to hide it. I find out later that she had given up on me completely that day.

So it came as a huge shock to her when I asked her out on a date with no ambiguity a week later. 10+ years later, she still likes to make fun of how clueless I was.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    One time I was talking to a cousin that I hadn't seen in a while:

him: "Hey it was good to see you"
    me: "Yea, nice to meet you too"

Also, I'm not much for small talk, so I do my best to avoid situations where I'll be alone for more than a minute with someone who I don't know very well - just so I don't sit there in silence while trying to think of something to say. It's why I hate business trips with co-workers where we share a rental car.

• Options
    One time I was talking to a cousin that I hadn't seen in a while:

him: "Hey it was good to see you"
    me: "Yea, nice to meet you too"

Also, I'm not much for small talk, so I do my best to avoid situations where I'll be alone for more than a minute with someone who I don't know very well - just so I don't sit there in silence while trying to think of something to say. It's why I hate business trips with co-workers where we share a rental car.

Oh god, I do that so much.

"Hi, I'm Josh, nice to meet you!"

"...we met already, about 3 or 4 months ago?"

1390934316384-tumblr_mi4u2jcwts1rl2z7po2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I never feel shame at not remembering people. 'Oh, shit, sorry, I was probably, definitely drunk.'

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    My (lack)of love life is awkwardly hilarious, but I got a good story.

I do online dating with little success, but still try it. I had just recently updated my pictures with what I assumed was a pretty funny one: It was one of my birthday party, where a friend had made a pinata version of me. The picture was pinata me, between two of my attractive female friend. One of which I had developed feelings but was pretty certain were not returned.

So I'm on OKC and see a girl I'm interested and send her a message. No response for a day or two, but she checks out my profile. No biggie, par the course.

So I'm surprised she messages me. Even more so when she responds with "[Name of one of my friends in the picture]says you shouldn't have pictures of other girls in your profile."

Turns out I had messaged her best friend.

One I had met a few months earlier at her birthday party.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    You gotta get the drop on people.

If you are at a party or whatever, you pretend to recognise someone. They will be so embarrassed at not recognising you back that they won't be offended when you ask what their name is.

broken image link
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »
    I never feel shame at not remembering people. 'Oh, shit, sorry, I was probably, definitely drunk.'

It's not that I remember them I just forgot their name for a time
    I know I am rather rememberable for most people I have come across. To hear of people I once worked with or such talk about me to another and then that person asks me about them is rather awkward

still the thing I feel bad about and really awkward about is that notebook I made about a girl I was interested in.
    I still don't know why I did it

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    the solution to the clipboard people is headphones

also never shake their hands

headphones-and-when-you-can-talk.jpg

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Headphones plus starting intently at my phone is my method.

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    I'm watching best friends play Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden... this is what I've been doing with my day and a lot of last night.
    and then I closed the tab instead of posting this cause I'm nervous about it

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    The obvious car excuse is to say you've got a computer.

stop all the downloadin

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    I kinda stretch my mouth into this shape:
    :I

and shake my head while tilting it down as I avoid eye contact and scurry past.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i had to come into school early today to take an exam for an online class

i've got like four hours to kill so i'm just goofin' off in the library computer lab

and since this is summer there's like 3 people here

and the scroll wheel on this mouse is SO LOUD

it's like it resonates through the entire building

CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK

CLICKCLICKCLICK

CLICK

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    I do this thing where most of my one off exchanges with people I'm walking past are said in an inaudible whisper like "hey", or a quiet "sorry" as I'm squeezing past, and I always think god that must be so weird, why didn't I say that out loud, and I do it every time.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

i've got like four hours to kill so i'm just goofin' off in the library computer lab

CLICKCLICKCLICK

CLICK

Trying to find the perfect porn movie to watch at the library eh?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

CLICKCLICKCLICK

CLICK

Sometimes at work, if what I'm doing involves a lot of relentless clicking, there's a good chance I'll stop doing it. At least for a while.

• Options
    Tasteticle wrote: »

I forgot this.

Oh my god this is amazing.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    my fear of these situations is basically paralyzing.

I didn't get my car inspected for months because I didn't know what to do when you go to an auto place to get your car inspected and what kind of asshole doesn't know how to get their car inspected, I can't let anyone realize that I don't know how to get my car inspected, I would rather drive around in an illegal deathtrap that could cost me hundreds of dollars just to be caught driving in.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    My usual is 'pretend I'm intensely studying the menu in a restaurant/bar so that people I don't dislike but don't feel like interacting with don't come and talk to me'.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    This is a story I tell every so often because, well, it's the kind of thing that sticks with you.

It was 2005 and I'd been modding for about a week. It was a different time; there was a jail button, no points, and if you wanted someone banned there was no robot to do it for you, you had to go into the admin panel and do that shit yourself. I was really nervous in a general sense that I would do the wrong thing or just be terrible at it. I read every post of every thread to make sure I didn't miss anything.

On this day approximately one week after I'd started a boy made a thread. He said he was 16 and his best friend was the girl next door. He'd had a huge crush on her but hadn't said anything. That day he went over her house and found her having sex... with her dog. He ran the fuck out of there, you know, like you do, and she called him crying. The story was that she had planned for him to walk in on her with the dog because she liked him but didn't know how to tell him and thought it might turn him on. So she was upset and still wanted him to date her but he was understandably I think a little grossed out.

The situation was awkward. Moderating the thread was awkward. Everyone kept their cool though, and a few weeks later he messaged me to thank me for not locking the thread, and to say that he really thought about everything. He agreed to date the girl as long as she never, ever, ever had sex with her dog again, to which she agreed.

That was the first nice message I got for a decision I made in H/A.

• Options
    This is a story I tell every so often because, well, it's the kind of thing that sticks with you.

It was 2005 and I'd been modding for about a week. It was a different time; there was a jail button, no points, and if you wanted someone banned there was no robot to do it for you, you had to go into the admin panel and do that shit yourself. I was really nervous in a general sense that I would do the wrong thing or just be terrible at it. I read every post of every thread to make sure I didn't miss anything.

On this day approximately one week after I'd started a boy made a thread. He said he was 16 and his best friend was the girl next door. He'd had a huge crush on her but hadn't said anything. That day he went over her house and found her having sex... with her dog. He ran the fuck out of there, you know, like you do, and she called him crying. The story was that she had planned for him to walk in on her with the dog because she liked him but didn't know how to tell him and thought it might turn him on. So she was upset and still wanted him to date her but he was understandably I think a little grossed out.

The situation was awkward. Moderating the thread was awkward. Everyone kept their cool though, and a few weeks later he messaged me to thank me for not locking the thread, and to say that he really thought about everything. He agreed to date the girl as long as she never, ever, ever had sex with her dog again, to which she agreed.

Oh my god

That might be the best agreement going into a new relationship I've ever heard of

"Look, if we're going to make this work, you need to stop fucking your dog."

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    How ..

How do you come to the conclusion that you need to have sex with your dog to get someone to like you?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    It was something she'd been doing for a while. I want to say he mentioned that it was a German Shepard, and someone's response was along the lines of "dude, you can't compete with that."

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular

Don't get many stories like that 'round these parts these days.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    oh my god

in your first week too

This discussion has been closed.