As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Awkward Thread

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    So, when I first started dialysis, there were some adjustments to be made. One of these was dealing with the idea that people actually give a shit and not every question has an ulterior motive.

For a few months, I'd get all paranoid and suspicious when the nurse asked, "how are you feeling today?" I was not at all used to being asked direct questions like that. I'd wonder what it was about my demeanor, body language, complexion, or whatever else that was making the nurse ask how I was feeling. do I look particularly sick today?

Because obviously (in my mind) she couldn't just be asking about my day, she must suspect that I'm not feeling well and she's asking about it in a roundabout way because that's her job, right?

I eventually learned to just answer the question instead of acting all neurotic about it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Narbus wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of plain alcohol. My drinks have to be fruity. Frozen drinks are a weakness.

Except for some wines. Blackberry wine especially.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GW22sAElpE

I refuse to be constrained by gender-norms.

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Hermano wrote: »
    Irish Carbombs.

:|

got a problem, friend

Just what Fyndir said, that's a pretty shitty name for a drink, no problem with you personally
    I always wondered if the drink had a different name in other countries, or if they just didn't have it at all
    It's a pretty tasty drink.

irish car bombs are an american phenomenon as far as I know

anyway, it's just a boilermaker with a weird choice of ingredients and irish cream in it

the cream, by the way, curdles if you don't drink it fast enough and the whiskey does a lot to render the shot glass nice and slimy, which is one of the reasons the drink is Not a Favorite of many bartenders

thenews.jpg
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    So I'm a man who likes his liquor. My favorite drinks tend to involve rye.

Sometimes, though, you gotta relax. Have a nice, summery sip. And not give a fuck what anyone thinks about drinking a pink drink with a watermelon slice in it.

DKcQS0K.jpg

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of plain alcohol. My drinks have to be fruity. Frozen drinks are a weakness.

Except for some wines. Blackberry wine especially.

Same here, though I've never really had wine.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Also I discovered a love of mixing Kahlua and milk.

That shit is delicious.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I don't usually drink.

But there is a cocktail that I desperately want to try called a La hoja.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Which apparently looks a little something like this

1.5 oz. Tromba Tequila
    0.5 oz. Green Chartreuse
    0.75 oz. agave syrup solution (50:50 ratio of raw agave syrup to water)
    0.75 oz. fresh-squeezed lime juice
    5 basil leaves
    1 half-inch cucumber wheel, diced
    1 pinch salt

DIRECTIONS
    1. Muddle cucumber, basil and agave in a boston shaker
    2. Add lime, Tequila, Chartreuse and salt
    3. Add ice and shake vigorously
    4. Double strain into a coupe glass
    5. Garnish with basil leaf

• CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I recently determined that the reason I think all alcohol tastes disgusting is probably because I can't smell. And apparently all the good parts of wine/campaign (only stuff I've tried) flavor require a functioning sense of smell to enjoy. So I just get a mouth full of bitter, sour, rotten grape juice. Oh well. Gives me yet another excuse for never drinking.

Awkward story time. So back in college I used to bring a soda/sparkling juice with me when I knew my friends would be drinking, because it made things a lot less weird when I had a non-alcoholic beverage that looked like what they were having. One day, I knew they were going to be having beer so I bought a couple of root beers in those glass bottles and brought them over.

We're hanging out, generally having a good time, and then somebody points out that my body language is totally different than it normally is. Apparently, I generally sit like this. But I'd started sitting like this, and was gesturing with the root beer in ways generally only associated with men. (The thing where you slightly point at a person with the bottle and give a small head nod to show you agree with them.)

That's when I realized: My dad and uncles do that same stuff every time we do things as a family. I had unconsciously adopted my dad and uncle's "beer drinking" body language.

If I set the bottle down, I go back to normal. Pick the bottle up, and all of a sudden I have the body language of a fifty year old Irish man. I don't do it with regular glasses, or water bottles. Just things that resemble beer bottles.

Creagan on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I can't smell. I love (good) wine.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I don't even drink alcohol, but even I enjoy a couple fingers on occasion
    :winky:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

If you don't mind my asking, is it congenital anosmia, and how strong is your sense of taste? Do you have any idea what caused it? I'm curious because I really only realized a couple of years ago that I have no sense of smell whatsoever, and never did to begin with. So I don't always know to what degree it's affecting me, since I can't compare with other anosmics.

I haven't been able to smell for as long as I can remember with a formal diagnosis of severe chronic rhinitis, but I'm also a CF carrier so it's possible my sinuses are swelled shut for some other reason. (Rhinosinusitis, or sinusitis.) My sense of taste is apparently pretty good.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2014
    Creagan wrote: »

If you don't mind my asking, is it congenital anosmia, and how strong is your sense of taste? Do you have any idea what caused it? I'm curious because I really only realized a couple of years ago that I have no sense of smell whatsoever, and never did to begin with. So I don't always know to what degree it's affecting me, since I can't compare with other anosmics.

I haven't been able to smell for as long as I can remember with a formal diagnosis of severe chronic rhinitis, but I'm also a CF carrier so it's possible my sinuses are swelled shut for some other reason. (Rhinosinusitis, or sinusitis.) My sense of taste is apparently pretty good.

It's difficult to say if it's congenital or not, because like you I have never been able to smell, but the likely culprit is actually a nasty knock on the forehead when I was a few months old, right at the point the olfactory nerves are close to the surface. Like you, I didn't realise i lacked anything at first, I think until I was about 9 or so? It's funny, I'd read descriptions of odours and it would mean nothing to me, or people would ask "how does this smell" and I wouldn't want to be 'different' so I'd just fake an opinion. But it didn't occur to me that this meant anything about my physiology.

I would say I have an excellent sense of taste, insofar as distinguishing subtle flavours and identifying ingredients goes. I can certainly rock the hell out of a wine-tasting! But the way flavour is expressed is quite likely different to most peoples, and there are some spices and aromatics etc where I know I'm not getting the full experience - truffles, to me, taste merely like nice field mushrooms, for example. I work with a lot of neuroscientists; my friend's opinion was that whatever caused the loss, it happened early enough on that my brain compensated to a large extent via my mouth tastebuds. One major thing that has affected my relationship with food is that texture is almost overwhelmingly important to me. It doesn't matter how something tastes, if it has a texture I find unpleasant, I just can't eat it. Also I have a need to know in detail what's in food before I eat it, I think it's so I can prepare myself. Like someone was saying earlier about accidentally drinking sprite instead of water and it being disgusting - if I don't know what I'm eating then that can happen even with food I really like, just cause it's unexpected.

We actually have a fair few anosmics on the board, eg @Metalbourne ... I know @Kochikens 'smells' by tasting the air, for some reason it never occurred to me to try this until recently but I've found that I can, eg, appreciate the aroma of a good whisky by inhaling through my mouth. That was an awesome discovery.

tynic on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I seem to remember someone on these boards telling a story where they got hammered and woke up in a strange house without their shirt and they went on this quest to figure out what the fuck was going on but in the end they had just scored with a realtor in a display house and their shirt was in the yard or something. Who was that?

Sadly, it was not me.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    So I when to a bar tonight with some friend's and I flirted with a girl who turned out to be not only a lesbian but also used to date my sister.

Fucking small town.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    A friend of mine went out with an anosmic lady once, he thought it was awesome how much she could tolerate his farting.

broken image link
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    We actually have a fair few anosmics on the board, eg Metalbourne ... I know Kochikens 'smells' by tasting the air, for some reason it never occurred to me to try this until recently but I've found that I can, eg, appreciate the aroma of a good whisky by inhaling through my mouth. That was an awesome discovery.

I shared a room with Kochi in Ireland. One night as we're about to go to bed she said "what smell-tastes like McDonald's?" Honestly I thought this sounded a bit crazy, but I went out on the roof terrace outside our room and suddenly I could smell frying oil smell from the restaurants down at street level.

So the woman with no sense of smell can apparently smell stuff better than me.

edit: forgot to remove the @s, sorry guys

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I hate the taste of beer, but have never vomited from drinking it, no matter how much I drink. Any form of spirits however basically guarantee that I'll be violently ill at some random point. They're far to unpredictable for me even though I find they largely taste better than beer.

Prohass on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yukira wrote: »
    Found a nice plum wine at a Korean grocery store in San Antonio.

But yes, give me all of the fruity drinks.

There's a sushi/Asian-food restaurant by my house that is run by this awesome Korean couple that has the best plum wine. So tasty. I have a glass every time I go there.

Oh wait, Sier corrected me and it was Bohae Black Raspberry wine.

That said, Umeshu (Japanese plum wine) is dang delicious and you should give it a try if you have not already.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The only food/drink thing I get pedantic about is cocktails

If you ever go to a bar with me, try to keep me from seeing the list of Martinis

because I will not shut up about it.

A Martini is Gin and Vermouth.

IF IT DOESN'T HAVE EITHER OF THESE THINGS

IT IS NOT A MARTINI

YOU CAN'T JUST PUT TWO LIQUORS IN A MARTINI GLASS AND CALL IT A MARTINI

WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY FOR GOD'S SAKE THERE ARE RULES

Goddamit pipe.

A cocktail has three ingredients. As does a martini

Otherwise a fucking jack and coke is a cocktail and I don't want to live in that world.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    We actually have a fair few anosmics on the board, eg Metalbourne ... I know Kochikens 'smells' by tasting the air, for some reason it never occurred to me to try this until recently but I've found that I can, eg, appreciate the aroma of a good whisky by inhaling through my mouth. That was an awesome discovery.

I shared a room with Kochi in Ireland. One night as we're about to go to bed she said "what smell-tastes like McDonald's?" Honestly I thought this sounded a bit crazy, but I went out on the roof terrace outside our room and suddenly I could smell frying oil smell from the restaurants down at street level.

Oh my god I have to try this!

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kochikens is a snake.

Finally all the puzzle peices are falling into place

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I figured out tasting my smells when I learned that scents were carried by small airborne particles of the object. Like the smell of poop is literally airborne pieces of poop. Thanks Bill Nye for making me never want to breath in a public bathroom for years as a kid.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Kochikens is a snake.

Finally all the puzzle peices are falling into place

According to my Comanche buddy from back in the day, the serpent is the guardian of wisdom.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Ugggggggggggh I miss being allowed to post as Drunk Pooro

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You could just post all in caps.

Gosh I haven't done that in forever.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

IT FEELS PASSE NOW

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I figured out tasting my smells when I learned that scents were carried by small airborne particles of the object. Like the smell of poop is literally airborne pieces of poop. Thanks Bill Nye for making me never want to breath in a public bathroom for years as a kid.

Earlier this week, I had to sneeze walking home. When I sneeze, I first do a big inhale (as do other people for all I know, I'm not a sneeze researcher). My route home is populated by cows in the summer, who aren't discerning about where they poop.

As a result, just as I was taking a deep breath before sneezing, I was right next to a fresh cow pie. It's very hard to both hold your breath and sneeze at the same time, so I was treated to an extra-large helping of airborne cow leavings. Blech.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    I seem to remember someone on these boards telling a story where they got hammered and woke up in a strange house without their shirt and they went on this quest to figure out what the fuck was going on but in the end they had just scored with a realtor in a display house and their shirt was in the yard or something. Who was that?

Sadly, it was not me.

Yeah well, first time for everything.

• YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Found a nice plum wine at a Korean grocery store in San Antonio.

But yes, give me all of the fruity drinks.

There's a sushi/Asian-food restaurant by my house that is run by this awesome Korean couple that has the best plum wine. So tasty. I have a glass every time I go there.

Oh wait, Sier corrected me and it was Bohae Black Raspberry wine.

That said, Umeshu (Japanese plum wine) is dang delicious and you should give it a try if you have not already.

I'll do that if I can find some.

IT FEELS PASSE NOW

IT REALLY DOES LACK A CERTAIN JE NE SAIS QUOI NOW DOESN'T IT?

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular

Oh my god I have to try this!

@tynic‌ @Kochikens‌

OH GOD ITS SO DUSTY IN HERE AND DUST TASTE-SMELLS LIKE DUST OH GOD YUK ITS EVERYWHERE

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    ceres wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I love gin. A Martini is my very favorite cocktail.

I will actually just drink gin. I am the only person I know who does this.
    I will also just drink gin. It is the best.

I have a gin bottle of Bombay Sapphire from 1996 that is etching the bottle
    I don't think it's safe to drink but I am rather curious about it

IT FEELS PASSE NOW

Je Ne Said Quoi means I don't know!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

IT FEELS PASSE NOW

Je Ne Said Quoi means I don't know!

yes exactly

that's a common saying

But a lot of people don't know that

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I didn't. Makes sense though. Now I can sprinkle it anywhere, thus lending a certain je ne said quoi to my manner of speech/postings.

edit: Oh no, I've shown of my ignorance by imitating a typo and then made an awkward edit describing it.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I once got sent out of class at school because my teacher thought that Je Ne Sais Quoi was some sort of offensively suggestive term

I did consider correcting her but thought that my reputation could hardly be damaged by the idea that I know a selection of sexy french phrases

• Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I once got sent out of class at school because my teacher thought that Je Ne Sais Quoi was some sort of offensively suggestive term

I did consider correcting her but thought that my reputation could hardly be damaged by the idea that I know a selection of sexy french phrases

Omelet du Fromage

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Solar wrote: »

Omelet du Fromage

Mangetout Rodney, mangetout

Solar on
This discussion has been closed.