As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Please synergize this report and turn it into the [job] thread tomorrow

LanglyLangly Registered User regular
I am opening this job thread with a question:

I recently got asked to a phone interview with a company I've worked with on a client basis for over a year. After the phone interview, there was a two and a half hour internet presentation and phone interviews with other managers.

After the interviews, they said they were talking to other people and I'd know something after the 14th. Today however, I got a call from the manager I would be working under that they would like me to dive up to thee office and stay a few days to meet the team and see the office myself. This will happen after the 14th, and so they ended the call by saying I would probably know something by the 17th, the day I would be there. But they still mentioned talking to other people and doing other interviews.

Like, this seems really positive, but also weird? Why would they specify telling me the day I came in? It's going to suck to drive eight hours to a meeting and ten be told I didn't get it. I mean, they're paying for the hotel so I guess it just has me excited but also super anxious. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

They even made a point of saying to bring my wife so she can see the city! Like, man that will be a terrible drive back if they say no.

I don't know why they keep saying they still need to talk to people if they're bringing me in with the idea if an offer.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    @IcyLiquid‌ this infracted him like 11 times.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    OKAY MAYBE MORE THAN 11

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    what in the sam fucking hill did you do? lol

• Options
    edited July 2014
    snip

IcyLiquid on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Whoa what the hell is happening? time traveling mod posts?

Also langly it sounds to me like they want to bring you in to extend the offer if they're saying to bring the family. It's weird for sure though.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Yeah it sounds good. I like my new job now, working at the front desk of a Realtor

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    rhylith wrote: »
    Whoa what the hell is happening? time traveling mod posts?

Also langly it sounds to me like they want to bring you in to extend the offer if they're saying to bring the family. It's weird for sure though.

That was really weird, yes.

I thought maybe they're like unable to tell me I have it until after the time is over? I don't know. It gonna super suck though if I get there and at the end they're just like nope.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Then you flip over a desk on your way out.

• Options
    Meanwhile my other job prospect is takin foreveeeeer to get back to me

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    those look like mod forum leaks.
    #welp

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    @Icyliquid might want to have a look at this, I don't know if the leaked posts would flag him again because they are dated so long ago.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hahaha apparently my plane ticket still has not been bought and I won't know for maybe another week when it exactly is.

Never mind that I am scheduled to to leave in possibly 26 days and need to cancel utilities and transfer money and things like that!

Apparently now they are hitting a budget crunch with being able to pay for my plane ticket too because the guy in charge of buying it didn't know that plane tickets get more expensive the closer to the flight date you get.

Hahahaahahaahaaahaha.

Haahaaaaahahahahahahahahaa

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hahaha apparently my plane ticket still has not been bought and I won't know for maybe another week when it exactly is.

Never mind that I am scheduled to to leave in possibly 26 days and need to cancel utilities and transfer money and things like that!

Apparently now they are hitting a budget crunch with being able to pay for my plane ticket too because the guy in charge of buying it didn't know that plane tickets get more expensive the closer to the flight date you get.

Hahahaahahaahaaahaha.

The guy in charge of ordering tickets has never in the history ordered a plane ticket before? Because that is the only explanation I can think of.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Hahahaahahaahaaahaha.

The guy in charge of ordering tickets has never in the history ordered a plane ticket before? Because that is the only explanation I can think of.

Well the owner's nephew had to start somewhere, and dang if he's not going to be in charge is something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

Hahahaahahaahaaahaha.

Well this is Japan, and given that he speaks no English (despite being in charge of the foreign English teachers) I am going to hazard a guess that he has never gone abroad, which means possibly he has never flown before. He also apparently doesn't really know how the program in charge of us foreign English teachers works.

Why, exactly, he was given a job where he is responsible for things like buying plane tickets for foreign English teachers is anyone's guess.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Phone call today:

"Thank you for calling (store) this is Shadowfire how can I help you?"
    "How late are you open today?"
    "We're open normal hours, until 10pm."
    "Well, too bad for you suckers!" {Click}

Oh yes, because we don't already hate every person who doesn't work retail enough!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    That's your real name???!

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Today at work I made a new best friend!
    20140704_142818_zpseefon8dp.jpg

We had a company BBQ at lunch and the little guy was flitting around everyone's feet eating our scraps. I noticed that it couldn't really fly and didn't look like a native species so we caught it and now it's on my desk. It must have been out there for a while because it has pretty much been eating nonstop since it calmed down.

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    > picture of bird
    > "we had a company BBQ"

i thought that post was going somewhere else

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So the promotion I was desperately waiting for 6 months ago is a thing now

But I'm actually very torn, cause I really like this job!

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    premium wrote: »

We had a company BBQ at lunch and the little guy was flitting around everyone's feet eating our scraps. I noticed that it couldn't really fly and didn't look like a native species so we caught it and now it's on my desk. It must have been out there for a while because it has pretty much been eating nonstop since it calmed down.

They sell these guys at PetSmart. He's probably from there, especially if he can't fly (might have clipped wings right now)

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »

They sell these guys at PetSmart. He's probably from there, especially if he can't fly (might have clipped wings right now)

I figured his wings were probably clipped or something. He seems pretty happy now in the little cage I acquired for him, been chattering and hopping around between the perches and such. I put a lost pet ad up in case he was someone's pet but I'm (not so secretly) hoping that nobody claims it because I already named it Atticus.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    People please stop burning shit down. Please. It's already crazy enough today.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular

I figured his wings were probably clipped or something. He seems pretty happy now in the little cage I acquired for him, been chattering and hopping around between the perches and such. I put a lost pet ad up in case he was someone's pet but I'm (not so secretly) hoping that nobody claims it because I already named it Atticus.

Here's the petsmart page for 'em! http://www.mypetsmart.com/care-guides/bird/finches/grass-finches.shtml?OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=34174650172&OVKEY=petsmart finch&url_id=161118926&adpos=1t1&device=c&gclid=CIXQn5CHrb8CFW4Q7Aod-BcAwA

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    I am opening this job thread with a question:

I recently got asked to a phone interview with a company I've worked with on a client basis for over a year. After the phone interview, there was a two and a half hour internet presentation and phone interviews with other managers.

After the interviews, they said they were talking to other people and I'd know something after the 14th. Today however, I got a call from the manager I would be working under that they would like me to dive up to thee office and stay a few days to meet the team and see the office myself. This will happen after the 14th, and so they ended the call by saying I would probably know something by the 17th, the day I would be there. But they still mentioned talking to other people and doing other interviews.

Like, this seems really positive, but also weird? Why would they specify telling me the day I came in? It's going to suck to drive eight hours to a meeting and ten be told I didn't get it. I mean, they're paying for the hotel so I guess it just has me excited but also super anxious. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

They even made a point of saying to bring my wife so she can see the city! Like, man that will be a terrible drive back if they say no.

I don't know why they keep saying they still need to talk to people if they're bringing me in with the idea if an offer.

I'd suggest taking a train for a distance that large so that you can commiserate/celebrate on the way home.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Here's the petsmart page for 'em! http://www.mypetsmart.com/care-guides/bird/finches/grass-finches.shtml?OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=34174650172&OVKEY=petsmart finch&url_id=161118926&adpos=1t1&device=c&gclid=CIXQn5CHrb8CFW4Q7Aod-BcAwA

I thought that looked like a finch. A friend had some, a while back.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    If you beat up a 3-year-old, I'm going to laugh my ass off when you get tased.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Self service ticket that just came through:
    Whenever you print something it makes loud inappropriate noises and is delayed.
    emphasis mine

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    New printers often fart while printing in uncomfortable surroundings.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Our newish copier on default settings, loudly beeps when it finishes preparations for the copy, loudly beeps after it copies, and then gives off a loud sequence of beeps when it is done printing.
    We put up with that for about half a day.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Guys, for the love of all, do not try to stop the interstate so your group can do tricks on your motorcycles. At least 1 dead, several more severely injured.

Invisible on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Ugh.

Monday morning, and my headphones appear to have become defective. Or at least, the left headphone has. I'm only getting sound on one side.

This is relevant to the job thead because my majority use of these headphones is podcasts commuting to and from the office and also playlists so I can get through an afternoon's coding in peace. Or at least, as much peace as a drop-D prog rock alt playlist can provide.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Heard that my boss is apparently thinking about moving back to Texas to be closer to family.

And I'm currently in a situation where I'm being held up as the example of 'how to be awesome' and am the go-to guy for pretty much everything relating to my department.

I do not want to get my hopes up in any way, shape or form but goodness it would be swell if that opportunity existed for me. Knowing my luck it will probably end up being some ridiculous situation buuut

well

There has literally never been a time where my stock was higher than it is now. So, fingers crossed.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Phone call today:

"Thank you for calling (store) this is Shadowfire how can I help you?"
    "How late are you open today?"
    "We're open normal hours, until 10pm."
    "Well, too bad for you suckers!" {Click}

Oh yes, because we don't already hate every person who doesn't work retail enough!

i grabbed some food on the 4th and told the lady at the window "have a nice 4th" and she said "thanks, you too" and I said "it sucks you have to work today, sorry!"

and my girlfriend yelled at me because i was being rude and i said i was sympathizing with her situation

hell it was the first time in years I didn't have to work the 4th

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    vsove wrote: »
    Heard that my boss is apparently thinking about moving back to Texas to be closer to family.

And I'm currently in a situation where I'm being held up as the example of 'how to be awesome' and am the go-to guy for pretty much everything relating to my department.

I do not want to get my hopes up in any way, shape or form but goodness it would be swell if that opportunity existed for me. Knowing my luck it will probably end up being some ridiculous situation buuut

well

There has literally never been a time where my stock was higher than it is now. So, fingers crossed.

Good luck, hope you get a good opportunity out of this!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Boss is out sick, I'm covering everything tomorrow.

This is always too fucking stressful.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    New job starts tomorrow.

Nervous, but hopefully it will go fine, doubt there's going to be much beyond orientation-type stuff for the first couple days.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Should I feel bad that I didn't actually do any work over the 4th + my birthday even though this big-ass project is in a critical state of rushing through its testing at breakneck speed?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Only if it's your fault the schedule apparently doesn't allow proper time for that

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Only if it's your fault the schedule apparently doesn't allow proper time for that

Woohoo! Party on!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.