As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So what do we do with [The Leftovers]?

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Especially since she is not taking his calls due to the fact that he outed her husband's affair to her.

Yup.

but she saves the message this time, she just missed it because she was shopping

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Man, all kinds of WTF in tonight's episode.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    I got into this show knowing full well that it would just Lost me over and over every episode. So far it has not disappointed.

I hope everyone else knows that they will never explain any of this crap.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Yar wrote: »
    I got into this show knowing full well that it would just Lost me over and over every episode. So far it has not disappointed.

I hope everyone else knows that they will never explain any of this crap.

I think I might be able to handle it going in with the knowledge that they don't plan on solving anything. It at least lets me focus on the character aspect of the show.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Show just keeps getting better and better. The first few episodes were pretty weak, but - like I've said before - the only show I can think of that manages to consistently be this intense is The Americans.

I'm still not convinced that - other than the rapture thingy - there isn't anything supernatural going on. Wayne can be explained away as a charismatic cult leader who happens to be very good at reading people. Grandpa is...well, pretty clearly schizophrenic. Everything else could certainly be coincidences and sheer chance.

I just really hope they don't end up pulling a 'It was all a dream / everyone was dead all along'. That will piss me off so so much.

• Options
    I felt like this episode was trying to signal us that these people are bullshit

of course, who knows, but I already didn't trust wayne, or that that girl in particular was special. I'm not saying I expected to see a replica but I didn't believe the girl was as important as he said. not when he had all those girls at that compound. but maybe it's like, one of these babies will matter? don't trust him though.

and I thought the guy saying "he took my pain away" and then doing a line of coke was about as clear as it gets that he doesn't get rid of any pain beyond telling the person they don't have to feel it anymore. which isn't magical, though it may be helpful (certainly helped nora)

the grandad, the magazine... yes, the magazine showed up again. but it wasn't magical, he didn't happen upon an old nat geo in a waiting room, his daughter ordered it because the grandpa wanted her to. it still goes right back to him, and he seems pretty nuts to me.

really loving the show.

• Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Am I wrong for thinking that young chick that is staying with the chief is super sexy?

Because that's what I think.

• Options
    You... are not wrong for thinking that.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    The actress is in her mid-20s in real life, so, no, it's not wrong (at least in a Chris Hansen way).

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    I figured as much, but when I got wound up over her looking "chilly" the other night my wife called me a perv. :p

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yall wrote: »
    Am I wrong for thinking that young chick that is staying with the chief is super sexy?

His daughter? Yeah. In real life Margaret Qualley is Andi MacDowell's daughter.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I thought he meant the friend of the chief's daughter (Emily Meade).

The actress who played the chief's daughter? She's like 19 or so in real life.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    Look guys, I think we can all agree that both of them are just smoking hot.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Look guys, I think we can all agree that both of them are just smoking hot.

Here's the big question.

What has the chief done with his daughter's friend in one of his many blackouts?

I seem to recall a lot of insinuation that something happened, but I can't recall if it was a dream / hallucination or even a red herring thrown into a 'next week' trailer.

Stupid fridge game is stupid.

• Options
    I'm afraid there is going to be some horrible underlying story about "the chosen ones" who are supposed to save things or figure stuff out. Personally I would rather see the show continue on showing how people freak out dealing with this incident without making a TON of other super natural stuff happen.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    If you've come to this show looking for clear answers, you've come to the wrong place. Sorry.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    If you've come to this show looking for clear answers, you've come to the wrong place. Sorry.

I don't need clear answers for everything, but if they build the show up around piling mystery on top of mystery like Lost, then I'll be displeased. I can deal with them not solving the initially disappearance.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Ironically this rule would also apply if Lindelof was trying to explain the non-rapture.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Man, this episode.

I don't know if I've ever been more interested in a show where 8 episodes in I still had no idea what was going on.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Man, this episode.

I don't know if I've ever been more interested in a show where 8 episodes in I still had no idea what was going on.

Man, considering the preparations we saw this week, I'm cringing thinking about next week.

If someone did what I'm expecting them to do on Memorial Day in real life, I would fully expect the townspeople to systematically murder the entire GR.
    Also, what was with the shirts in the woods? Does each of those shirts represent a previous GR member he took out to the woods and murdered? I couldn't quite figure that out...

Nor could I figure out if his daughter's friend was telling the truth about fucking the chief 'on a pile of guns' or not. The way this show is going...I wouldn't rule it out.

zagdrob on
  • Options
    I have to watch this one again
    I felt pretty sure she was lying, the other girl didn't even believe her but they were fighting so she just said something to hurt her.

cannot believe she went to the fucking GR. I hate them so much.

and patty was lying about the other woman right? she said she was ready to die, she was okay with it... but we saw it, we know that's bullshit. I also think she was lying about not taking orders but we don't have evidence about that.

but yeah I gotta watch it again I missed some stuff for sure.

• Options
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Man, this episode.

Man, considering the preparations we saw this week, I'm cringing thinking about next week.

If someone did what I'm expecting them to do on Memorial Day in real life, I would fully expect the townspeople to systematically murder the entire GR.
    Also, what was with the shirts in the woods? Does each of those shirts represent a previous GR member he took out to the woods and murdered? I couldn't quite figure that out...

Nor could I figure out if his daughter's friend was telling the truth about fucking the chief 'on a pile of guns' or not. The way this show is going...I wouldn't rule it out.

Re: the shirts
    I don't think that indicated other GR members he has taken out there. The only one that we know has died was the one who got stoned to death and that was a pretty big deal. I think they would have made more of an issue if another 6 or so had gone missing. I think the shirts were just supposed to show that he had been there before but I don't think they were suppose to convey much beyond that.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i am hoping somebody throws a huge vat of dynamite into the gr houses

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    yesss -1 awful character

lets get on with the massacre kevin youre all revved up

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I really liked how she was espousing all of her views as if they were some deep examination into the human condition, and the chief looked so into it... and then straight up called her out on her BS.

I've grown to like his character very much.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    That last scene of the episode last night.

D:

It actually made me feel a little bit of empathy for Laurie. Just for a moment.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    And just when I thought this show couldn't get any darker, they go and do this episode.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    This might have been my favorite episode. It revealed so much about the characters and so well. I'd really like to see how Guilty Remnant was formed, though.

It's also COMPLETE bullshit that the season finale doesn't air for two weeks. In this day and age, especially premium channels that don't rely on advertisements, shouldn't bump shows for holidays.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2014
    Great episode.

This one and the one centering around Eccleston are as good TV as I've seen.

They sure get a lot of milage out of that theme tho, don't they?

edit: oh yeah, episode 6 was magnificent too.

this show really shines when it stays character-focused. it kind of falls apart a little when it insists on advancing the larger narrative.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yall wrote: »

His daughter? Yeah. In real life Margaret Qualley is Andi MacDowell's daughter.

Ah, good ol' nepotism. Explains how this is her literal first gig ever as an actress.

Also, just caught up on the last 3 episodes. 6 is still my favorite, but 9 was very good. I still have a hard time caring much about Garvey, mainly because I've always seen Theroux as a vain and hollow man no matter how earnest he tries to be in roles. His best is still American Psycho, followed by Mulholland Drive (another role, like this, where he's in a constant state of confusion).

Bubby on
  • Options
    Man, this show. To think that my wife and I barely made it through the first two or three episodes, and almost deleted our timer and gave up on it.

My daughter's about the same age as Nora's daughter, so the whole episode I was just steeling myself for the gut punch when her family disappeared. That part wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but I can't even imagine your last interaction with your kids being yelling 'God damn it' at them and making them cry. Just...shit.

Called Laurie being pregnant and having the baby disappear at the beginning of the episode when she talked to her doctor. It was a bit of a surprise seeing how loaded they were, for some reason I never expected Laurie to be so successful and put together, so to speak.

Still, it was quite strange seeing everyone be 'normal'. It makes it even more heartwrenching knowing where they are all going to be in three years.

Laughed my ass off at the manhole cover scene though. He nailed the whole 'what the fuck was that? holy shit, I've got to tell someone' act.

Looking forward to, and not looking forward to, the season finale. I can already tell it's going to make me feel like I've been punched in the stomach for a half hour. Still, if a TV show can be intense enough to make me feel that, damn.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I really loved that scene, because of how real it was. Too many shows do the "one last good bye" and really, you never know what your last interaction is going to be. You don't know when someone's going to die (or disappear in this case) and that scene just... God, depressing. I get Nora, now, and I get why she does what she does.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So, the remnant?

:trollface:

So fucking troll.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    That was an absolutely brilliant finale, one of the best episodes of TV this year. I didn't care much for the first half of the season but the second half has totally turned it around. What's struck me the most, beyond any problems and bullshit brought on by Lindelof, is simply it's emotional depth. It just has a really empathetic understanding of human beings, I don't know how to explain it past that, but it's beautiful. Bring on Season 2.

Bubby on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    goddamn this fucking show

i really like it, and the season finale was great

but it is really emotionally draining

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    yesss the gr got all fucked up

ALSO DOGE

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    So, his wish was to have his family back.

And he got them all back. Even a surrogate baby, courtesy of Holy Wayne in more ways than one.

I don't need clear answers for everything, but if they build the show up around piling mystery on top of mystery like Lost, then I'll be displeased. I can deal with them not solving the initially disappearance.
    I think they fully intend to not answer anything, though. So far they've kept it kinda cool, but the rapture, no, it's not going to get explained. Holy Wayne and his magic hugs, probably not. His baby being chosen, probably not. The Guilty Remnant, maybe some. Grandpa's psychic powers, probably not. The dogs, probably not. The "truck/gun" friend, probably not. And we're not into Season 2 yet. I'm betting they will pile on mystery after mystery, tease you with answers around the corner, but then just divert with more mystery.

P.S.: On a pile of guns, definitely. Two times.

Yar on
  • Options
    Finally got around to watching the finale. I agree that it was pretty great. I'll have to mull it over and post general thoughts on the season as a whole later.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I'm ready for season two.

Give it to me now please.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    GIV SEASON TWO NEEDS NOW PLZ

Hacksaw on