As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Penny Arcade Collaborative Playlist Project

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    How did I forget how good Knights of Cydonia is

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Looks like all of my songs except two got removed?

Whatevs. I put more back in again.

BLM - ACAB
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I think I might've found my new favorite song to listen to, sadly it is not on spotify

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4Zd2HpJ8c

her voice is 2 gud

The Betgirl
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    stephan gardner please report to the principal's office

to receive a commendation for backing up and restoring the list?

I mean, we know he put them back, we don't know he was the one that deleted them

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

I mean, we know he put them back, we don't know he was the one that deleted them

no his mom is here to check him out

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    but to be clear, i did not intend for that to be construed as me blaming him

i mean the songs are back in now, who cares anyway

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

no his mom is here to check him out

Ew

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    So, did he delete almost everything again?

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

I see ~1300 songs in there, so I don't think so?

• TefTef Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Lordy may - Boy and Bear
    - This song has a lot of personal significance for me. It's one of those songs that hurts to listen to, but it's a good hurt, you know?

Jeremy - Pearl Jam
    Just a fucking great rock song. It's fairly powerful in it's intent too. I decided to only have one Pearl Jam song in here and it was tough choice. Honourable mentions to Alive and Even Flow.

Kilo - Ghostface killah
    This is a great song, deadset. Most of GFK's stuff is good, but if I had to choose one, this is probably it.

Smoke Trails - Jackie Onassis
    Just a great, laid back song and I find it on quite a few of my playlists

Sinister Kid - The Black Keys
    Black keys are fucking aces and this is probably my favourite song of theirs. So good!

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    BrocksMulletTheodore Floosevelt
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I see ~1300 songs in there, so I don't think so?

Most added by one person, so someone had a backup.

UnbrokenEva
    Big ups to the person who put in parks on fire by trifonic. I've never heard it before and it's great! Lots of good tracks actually

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • AzraithAzraith DON'T Registered User regular
    MAH FAVE FIVE not really though these have just been my jams for a while.

Whore by Archive: Controlling Crowds (Parts I-III) is probably one of my favorite albums. I throw it on when playing games or if I just need to zone the hell out for an hour or two. The way this particular song is constructed and the singers voice just hits me in all the right spots.

Princes of the Universe by Queen: If one put a gun to my head and forced my hand to pick my favorite Queen song, it'd be this. If it doesn't make you hype as hell as they do the sweeping "Weee were booooorn to be PRIIINCES OF THE UNNIIIIIVERSE!!" and then they slow it down man I don't even know anymore.

Sorrow by Bad Religion: Truefacts - This was the song that got me into Bad Religion, which is still probably my consistently favorite band. People give me looks because it's kinda not exactly like a lot of their other songs, but that's what I dig. The verse feels like something you'd hear humming across a civil war battlefield.

Momma Sed by Puscifer: I lost my mom in 2001 to cancer, and I was about 16 years old. She had been a huge influence on me. One of my earliest, concrete memories was playing Legend of Zelda with her on our Nintendo, telling her eagerly where all the secrets were. She knew I wasn't like other kids, I didn't fit in but she never, ever pressured me to do so. She encouraged my individuality, and she bred a harsh wit in me. I hear her in this song, and it makes me incredibly happy and incredibly sad at the same time.

Stretchmarker by Baroness: If I need to disappear, this is where I go. I put on my headphones, find a quiet spot somewhere, close my eyes and wind up in this song. It's a room where I always feel welcome, and that's an awesome feeling.

kgefLUA.png
    Steam Live: Azraith PSN: AzraithDeMitri
    UnbrokenEvaNoSobriquetThe BetgirlTefDex DynamoBrocksMulletTheodore Floosevelt
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Really diggin' everyone's thoughts on their choices

Helps me listen to the songs with different ears

Lost SalientDex DynamoBrocksMulletnicopernicusTheodore Floosevelt
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Really diggin' everyone's thoughts on their choices

Helps me listen to the songs with different ears

Seconding this. I've been reading entries one by one as I listen to songs, and it's really enhancing the experience for me.

This second playlist was a great idea!!!

Ha, my descriptions were, 'this is a good song. I like this song'

Perhaps I should have put more thought into it!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Tef wrote: »
    Ha, my descriptions were, 'this is a good song. I like this song'

Perhaps I should have put more thought into it!

nah that's as good a reason as any!

Tef
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Moment of Truth by Gang Starr

I came across this one when I was in a darker place in my life, some 5 or 6 years ago now. It gave me a kind of strength that I hadn't really found through music yet. It helped me fight my inner demons and keep pushing through with life, knowing that although one day I'd meet my moment of truth, it wouldn't come yet. This and Kenji both got me very much into hip hop, rap, and lyricism.

I love, love, love Gang Starr. Might be my single favorite hip-hop outfit ever.

Above the Clouds is probably my favorite of theirs.

signature.png

I changed my five songs!

It's my birthday this week, and I wanted to find five of the happiest songs I could, because I'm feeling super positive and I'm not letting anything stress me out or get me down this week.

Lisa Loeb, Best Friend: I heard this song on Kid's Corner on WXPN on the drive home from work one day, and it instantly became one of my favorite songs. The chorus--"When I first met you/I didn't think I liked you/But now that I know you/You could be my best friend"--is adorable, and I relate to it, because it describes a lot of my closest friendships--I've had a lot of Step Brothers "DID WE JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS" moments in my life, and that's what this song makes me think of.

Bruce Springsteen, Rosalita: I love singing Bruce Springsteen at karaoke. And I love Karaoke. It's one of my favorite things in this world. And this is my favorite song of his to sing. It's way more positive and fun than a lot of his stuff (and intentionally so, since it was written as an encore for live performances, with extended sequences for everyone in the band, so Bruce could call them out and have the crowd cheer for them), even with the subtext that Rosie's parents are judging him because he's a lousy poor musician. And it's so much fun to sing, and I love it.

Ookla the Mok, Spot the Cat: This song makes me happy first and foremost because it's a beautiful song that's actually Data's poem to his cat, set to music. But it also makes me smile because I love cats, and I love my cat Cleo, and I'm watching her play with a twist tie as I write this and it's making me smile!

Ghost Mice, Critical Hit: My little brother turned me on to this song because he knows how much I love tabletop RPGs, and gosh, it's great. And it's way more inspirational than a song about rolling a natural 20 on a polyhedral dice should ever be. "Dragons have fell and kingdoms have been saved by people giving everything they got. By people who never gave up. By people who know just to let the dice roll and see what comes up."

Freezepop, Here Comes A Special Boy: This is a song about a 5-year-old otter who loves hugs, and loves his mother, and I don't know what else you need to hear, okay????

The BetgirlNoSobriquetmiscellaneousinsanityTheodore FlooseveltBrocksMullet
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Dex, singing Bruce Springsteen at karaoke is THE BEST

My go-to ending the night karaoke piece is Born to Run, and let me tell ya, I can sing some Born to Run like a boss

(like The Boss even ho hohahah hm.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    UnbrokenEvaDex DynamoThe BetgirlTheodore FlooseveltDonovan Puppyfucker
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    took out the beastie boys song I added as kind of a joke because I couldn't pick a fifth song in order to actually pick a fifth song and it's haaaaaaard

Dex, singing Bruce Springsteen at karaoke is THE BEST

My go-to ending the night karaoke piece is Born to Run, and let me tell ya, I can sing some Born to Run like a boss

(like The Boss even ho hohahah hm.)

Born to Run is my go-to starter song!

For a few reasons, actually--it's so big and melodramatic and booming, it kills any anxiety or stage fright for me (which I still deal with sometimes, even after karaokeing for years, and being in an actual band in college), and similarly, it tends to pump up the crowd and get people who might not otherwise be interested in singing excited to sing, which I'm real big on.

And also, I'm kind of good at singing it, and I like the song, so it's the obvious choice. All that said, I think I enjoy Rosalita more, just because it's goofier and looser and kinda dumb fun.

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Not sure why a lot of the songs being mentioned aren't showing up. I want to be a Prince of the Universe!

• astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Not sure why a lot of the songs being mentioned aren't showing up. I want to be a Prince of the Universe!

There are two lists, a main one w/ 1300 songs + and the five songs per person list. The ones people are talking about are on the five song list. Since people are limited to five, they may also switch songs before you try to find it.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
    BrocksMullet
    I added Bastards of Young by the Replacements. I've really, really been into it lately, and I'm not super sure as to why, but

Looks like the big list is neutered again. Must have happened at some point last night, because all my new stuff is still there.

Paging Stephan?

@The Geebs That Got Bigtimed‌ we may not see eye to eye on spider-man movies, but we can find common ground on Metric.

astrobstrd wrote: »

There are two lists, a main one w/ 1300 songs + and the five songs per person list. The ones people are talking about are on the five song list. Since people are limited to five, they may also switch songs before you try to find it.

Oh, cool! What's the name of the 5 songs list?

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    @The Geebs That Got Bigtimed‌ we may not see eye to eye on spider-man movies, but we can find common ground on Metric.

They're pretty good!

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I added some songs.

M83 - Midnight City. Just kind of an undeniable four minute burst of energy, with peak after peak and after it seems like it's played every card in its hand, there's a delirious saxophone solo. I don't think I'm capable of getting tired of this song.

LCD Soundsystem - Home. I take this song as a rejection of nostalgia, despite its name. "Stumble into the night so we can shut the door on terrible times." About as relaxed as this band has been since their first album. Perfect way to end their discography. I fucking love this song.

Father John Misty - Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings. Semicryptic lyrics, maybe about the end of a relationship, maybe about taking a cheap tramp to your grandpa's funeral. Doesn't matter. The live performance of this song was one of the most intense musical experiences I've ever had.

UGK - Intl Player's Anthem. A perfect rap song, a perfect sample, and two of the best rap duos ever. Every verse is so good, I can't pick a winner because they're all perfect. 3k is all sincere and thoughtful, big gets paranoid and jokey. Ask Paul McCartney. Pimp's verse is short but perfect, every line quotable. Bun ties it all together. Fuckin a this song is so good. The only way to make it better is to watch the video.

The Walkmen - Thinking Of A Dream I Had. I thought about which song of theirs was my favorite for a while. I chose this one. It feels very representative of their sound, as well as their nostalgic lyrical approach. It was this or In The New Year. This band is amazing.

It kills me not having Radiohead on this list.

BrocksMulletTheodore Floosevelt
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh man, this is such a cool idea.

I just opened the playlist, and the first song is great.

I'm gonna have to think a lot about which songs to put in. I don't have a particularly wide pool of bands to pull from like you all seem to, so I'm afraid of picking boring choices...

IKknkhU.gif
    I wouldn't worry about it. There are definitely some "boring" choices on there already (I'm probably responsible for at least one) but it doesn't really matter if it's not like, a deep cut or from a more obscure band, if it's one of your favorites

The Betgirl
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I put a William Shatner song on there. That should tell you that you can put whatever you want.

I can't tell if someone is just dedicated to their douchiness and erasing the big list or if spotify just has a hard time with 1.4 k song lists.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm going to change my five shortly! Just feelin' it.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I added some songs.

M83 - Midnight City. Just kind of an undeniable four minute burst of energy, with peak after peak and after it seems like it's played every card in its hand, there's a delirious saxophone solo. I don't think I'm capable of getting tired of this song.

LCD Soundsystem - Home. I take this song as a rejection of nostalgia, despite its name. "Stumble into the night so we can shut the door on terrible times." About as relaxed as this band has been since their first album. Perfect way to end their discography. I fucking love this song.

Father John Misty - Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings. Semicryptic lyrics, maybe about the end of a relationship, maybe about taking a cheap tramp to your grandpa's funeral. Doesn't matter. The live performance of this song was one of the most intense musical experiences I've ever had.

UGK - Intl Player's Anthem. A perfect rap song, a perfect sample, and two of the best rap duos ever. Every verse is so good, I can't pick a winner because they're all perfect. 3k is all sincere and thoughtful, big gets paranoid and jokey. Ask Paul McCartney. Pimp's verse is short but perfect, every line quotable. Bun ties it all together. Fuckin a this song is so good. The only way to make it better is to watch the video.

The Walkmen - Thinking Of A Dream I Had. I thought about which song of theirs was my favorite for a while. I chose this one. It feels very representative of their sound, as well as their nostalgic lyrical approach. It was this or In The New Year. This band is amazing.

It kills me not having Radiohead on this list.

I almost put "home" up on mine. Great song, and that album is about the only thing I listened to when i drove cross country to move away from florida after living there for ~12 years

felt pretty fitting

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    All right, I've chosen my five:

Ironspy - Splashdown You know how it feels to just coincidentally stumble onto a band you've never heard of and have them instantly become one of your favorites? Splashdown was the first band that gave me that feeling. After seeing the movie Titan A.E. in theaters, I bought the soundtrack. "Karma Slave" was easily my favorite track on that album, but since Youtube didn't exist at the time (and I was unaware of the recently-released Napster), it took me a while to seek out the band behind the song. I think it was around the time that the iTunes store started getting really big that I finally looked up the rest of Splashdown's catalog...only to find they had already disbanded. Still, the songs they did have got a ton of playtime on my iPod. Unfortunately, my top two choices (Mayan Pilot and The Archer) are from Redshift EP, which isn't available through retail channels (and thus not on Spotify). Still, Ironspy makes a pretty solid alternative, especially since it really showcases what I love most about Splashdown: their main vocalist, Melissa Kaplan. She's able to get a lot of emotion through with her voice, from serenity to anger to mischievousness to effervescence.

The Dangling Conversation - Simon & Garfunkel One of the first bands I can say I loved without reservation, Simon & Garfunkel was--in retrospect--sort of a strange band for a 14-year-old who mostly listened to Radio Disney to suddenly get into. But goddamn did I get into them. Out of all the choices I had to make for my list, picking one S&G song was probably the hardest, but I eventually had to go with Dangling Conversation. It's lyrics are fairly heavy-handed (even when compared to Sound of Silence), but I adore the rhythm and wordplay enough that I don't care if it's not subtle.

The City - Madeon When I first started posting on these forums, I was kind of intimidated. SE++, while not really cliquish, definitely had a history and forum personalities that made stepping into the crowd seem daunting. Thankfully, I quickly made friends with several people in the Glossolalia thread: Speed Racer, DE?AD, Dubh, Antimatter and Neotoma, to name a few. Of those posters, Anti was probably the closest to me in terms of interests and tastes in entertainment, so I came to value her opinions and recommendations. She's the one who first introduced me to Madeon (I believe by posing his Pop Culture mashup on Youtube), and I was instantly hooked.

Carry the Sun - Glitch Mob One of my favorite electronica bands, second only to Daft Punk. While their songs tend to lack the complexity and variety that Daft Punk is known for, a Glitch Mob album is really good for getting me, like, really pumped. Like the Andrew W.K. of electronica. I have yet to find a better song to jog to than "Carry the Sun."

Conquest of Spaces - Woodkid There's no particularly special reason I put this one in the list. I mostly decided to use my fifth slot for a song I just happen to really enjoy at the moment. So yeah. This song is pretty neat, you guys.

IKknkhU.gif
    UnbrokenEvaLost SalientBrocksMulletThe Betgirlnicopernicus
    I've made a change - I dropped pearl Jam's Jeremy for Seth Sentry's Waitress Song.

The Waitress Song is all about a dude hanging out at a shitty diner just to talk to a waitress he's infatuated with. It reminds me of a time at uni when I would habitually eat at a stupidly overpriced organic vegan coffee shop, just for the chance to talk to a gorgeous barista who worked there. I never did anything about it and 6 years later, while I smile about it now, I still regret not giving it a shot

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    I've made a change - I dropped pearl Jam's Jeremy for Seth Sentry's Waitress Song.

The Waitress Song is all about a dude hanging out at a shitty diner just to talk to a waitress he's infatuated with. It reminds me of a time at uni when I would habitually eat at a stupidly overpriced organic vegan coffee shop, just for the chance to talk to a gorgeous barista who worked there. I never did anything about it and 6 years later, while I smile about it now, I still regret not giving it a shot

Now that you're no longer a broke-arse uni student, you should go back!