Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

South 2015 Q&A

1246789

Posts

  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    MrAGeezie wrote: »
    I wish I could say an exhibitor it unless you count YouTube that'll be a no. However I want to run it with a few other Youtubers and d a few giveaways as well.

    I don't think you can. Tournaments are run by show staff called Enforcers.

    If you want to volutneer, here's the link!

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • swartzmiswartzmi Registered User new member
    edited November 2014
    Hello!

    When PAX South tickets went on sale, I lived in San Antonio a few miles from the expo hall so I of course bought some tickets. However, about a month ago, my wife and I moved to Seattle. We are not in a position to spend the $600+ dollars for airfare and hotels so we no longer need the passes. Is it like illegal to sell tickets now? What do I do with these? Is there any way to get some money back or do I just have to give them away?

    zerzhul on
  • MrAGeezieMrAGeezie OklahomaRegistered User regular
    SmallLady wrote: »
    MrAGeezie wrote: »
    I wish I could say an exhibitor it unless you count YouTube that'll be a no. However I want to run it with a few other Youtubers and d a few giveaways as well.

    I don't think you can. Tournaments are run by show staff called Enforcers.

    If you want to volutneer, here's the link!

    I appreciate the response. Was considering doing a Pokemon Tournament but if I have to be an enforcer then I can't as I'm already committed to the PaxPokemonLeague... which by the way is AWESOME!

    Come check out my channel for ALL your Pokemon and Nintendo coverage.
    MrAGeezie - www.youtube.com/MrAGeezie
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    swartzmi wrote: »
    Hello!

    When PAX South tickets went on sale, I lived in San Antonio a few miles from the expo hall so I of course bought some tickets. However, about a month ago, my wife and I moved to Seattle. We are not in a position to spend the $600+ dollars for airfare and hotels so we no longer need the passes. Is it like illegal to sell tickets now? What do I do with these? Is there any way to get some money back or do I just have to give them away?.
    It is totally legal to sell them, but absolutely forbidden on these forums. There was too much abuse an scamming in the past.

    YoungFrey on
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Coming from a brand-new account and with so little context, thinking my question was spam was not unreasonable. Sorry, let me explain.

    I've been reading PA for over a decade, but have never been to PAX. I live in Texas, so when PAX South was announced I immediately bought tickets. I want to bring my friend, who likes videogames but has a severe latex allergy. I don't feel like I have the convention experience necessary to know whether PAX would be physically dangerous for her.

    For her, exposure to even small amount of latex can trigger anaphylaxis. Essentially, exposure is the same for her as for someone with a severe peanut allergy or someone who is allergic to bee stings. Additionally, each time she is exposed to latex, her allergy gets a little bit more severe. So she carries an epi pen in case of exposure, but goes out of her way to make sure that she just never comes into contact with latex.

    The problem, in her words, is that latex rubber is in "balloons, condoms, mattresses, tires, pencil erasers, pen grips, gloves, latex clothing and tons of things that are incredibly fun to touch, but can ultimately cause me uncomfortable symptoms such as death."

    Rubber latex is especially problematic in a situation like a convention because a) lots of costumes use rubber latex components, and b) rubber latex leaves latex powder on contact, which means that if my friend touches something that has touched latex recently, it can trigger a reaction. She went to a 90s themed halloween party once and someone wearing a latex mask of Bill Clinton hugged her. She didn't have her epi pen on her, so she had to be driven to the hospital. Balloon-drops have also been problematic.

    tl;dr - I want to know if I can comfortably guarantee my friend that if she's as cautious as she is in her day-to-day life, PAX is not an especially dangerous place for her.

    This question seemed to kind of slip through the cracks, it seems to surprise a few people, so I guess I'll do whatever I can to help answer it in my medical opinion(that is not to be constituted as advice from your medical provider or the diagnosis of a credentialed physician...I don't know what other disclaimers I can give on a message board to protect myself...)

    So, first thing, no one can guarantee that someone won't chuck a pencil eraser into the crowd, or something that extreme. However, here are some thoughts I have on the matter. PAX has cosplayers with costumes ranging from something that people would think is just a regular set of street clothes up to professional level props, make up and effects; in many cases these contain latex, or a latex base of some kind. The likelihood of some airborne "dust" from the latex is very low, but the possibility of accidental normal skin contact in the Expo hall is medium(normal skin being defined as the parts of the body that the average person would have exposed in a t shirt and jeans). Most PAX cosplayers like to give as wide a berth as they can since they put work into their costume and don't want to see it damaged. The possibility that a stranger in a latex mask or other costume part would randomly come up to her and hug or touch her is pretty slim, but I can't predict every aspect of human behavior.

    tl;dr - No one can give you a 100% assurance, but there is only a low chance of exposure if she stays conscious of her surroundings

    Advice I have given patients in the past with such a severe allergy that don't want to live in a bubble(not just latex, but other incidental exposure allergies):

    1. Have your epi pen readily available(this seems obvious, but you'd be surprised), if a friend that can help you administer it won't be with it at all times, have the instructions available with the pen.

    2. At the first sign of any reaction(the symptoms I'm sure she's intimately familiar with), remove yourself from the expo hall and contact EMS immediately, if respiratory symptoms have begun, administer the epi pen before anything else.

    3. Wear long sleeves and long pants, it will be a little chilly, so a scarf or shawl may help protect the vulnerable neck. This one kind of throws people when I suggest it, but buy some nice light gloves(think Rogue from X-Men), this will allow her to only be "vulnerable" when she knows it's safe. It'd be handy when/if she wants to touch a controller that's been used by five hundred people who may or may not have had latex residue on their hands(I think this would be the highest likelihood of unknown exposure, or possibly second to the accidental bump which could be prevented with long sleeves) It's awkward at first, but it can help limit exposure to the allergen and give a little peace of mind. The ensemble will offer a great deal more protection from incidental exposure and allow her to hopefully enjoy PAX to it's fullest. JUST DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE WITH THEM.

    @andrewrjohn‌ I hope this helps, and can give you a little insight on your friend's allergy and how it would affect her at PAX. I would hate for someone to miss something this fun for fear of death, but I would also hate to see someone go and then spend the entire convention terrified that death would loom around the corner. If you have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me.

    [H]olyGeekboy
  • KawaiiDragonessKawaiiDragoness Registered User new member
    I know tickets aren't refundable, but what are my options? That money would be good food money or interview-outfit money so I can get a new job and afford a future convention.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know tickets aren't refundable, but what are my options? That money would be good food money or interview-outfit money so I can get a new job and afford a future convention.
    Get the passes, sell them to someone at face value (not via these forums).

  • CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    I have a question regarding medical passes. My husband had a quadruple bypass yesterday (11/24), and while he should be at least 90% efficient by that time, I'm a little concerned about the amount of standing and walking. Would a medical pass be something we should look into? His prognosis is very good right now, but I would hate for him to not have a good time.

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I would certainly look into it. Keep in mind that it's not a "cut in front of all the lines" pass. A medical pass will let you get into panels first, provided they are not already capped when you arrive, and allows for 1 hour early access to Expo on (probably) Friday.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • QuackersQuackers College Student and Code Monkey Orlando FloridaRegistered User regular
    I would certainly recommend getting a medical pass for him.

  • CyberFeyCyberFey Registered User regular
    Thank you guys. I'm reading him PAX stuffs to keep his mood up. =) I'll definitely apply!

  • TrailsongTrailsong Bard, Rogue, and Part-Time Legend Somewhere East of insanityRegistered User regular
    So, silly me only found out about Pax South a couple of days ago. Because let's face it, San Antonio has long been forgotten by geek culture (what? there's a place south of Austin?!?) and getting something like this here is kinda amazing and nuts. And of course, 3day & Saturday passes are sold out. Is there any semblance of an official or recognized unofficial resale site for 3day passes for those who can't use them, since buying on the forums is generally a scary process?

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    There would not be one. Your absolute best bet would be to buy them from someone in person at the convention center and have them verified as authentic before handing over any cash.

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • TrailsongTrailsong Bard, Rogue, and Part-Time Legend Somewhere East of insanityRegistered User regular
    That's what I was most afraid of. *le sigh*

    I have to laugh at the online resellers that are trying to unload tix on StubHub, Vivid, or eBay for 2x, 3x, or even 10x face value without having tix in hand... $225 for Sat tix? Yeah, no. Just... no. I want to go, but not at kidney-sales-level prices.

  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Trailsong wrote: »
    That's what I was most afraid of. *le sigh*

    I have to laugh at the online resellers that are trying to unload tix on StubHub, Vivid, or eBay for 2x, 3x, or even 10x face value without having tix in hand... $225 for Sat tix? Yeah, no. Just... no. I want to go, but not at kidney-sales-level prices.

    Attendees are usually selling tickets for face value day of. Even at Prime which sells out in seconds. So if you show up on time, I'd be surprised if you couldn't score a reasonable pass.

  • TrailsongTrailsong Bard, Rogue, and Part-Time Legend Somewhere East of insanityRegistered User regular
    The question is just where, though.
    What's even worse is I live here in SA, and we're considering getting a hotel room downtown just to avoid having to look for parking each day... but I won't make the hotel reservations without knowing if I can score a couple of 3day passes.

  • PineappleChuckPineappleChuck Registered User regular
    Trailsong wrote: »
    The question is just where, though.
    What's even worse is I live here in SA, and we're considering getting a hotel room downtown just to avoid having to look for parking each day... but I won't make the hotel reservations without knowing if I can score a couple of 3day passes.

    They won't be offered up on the forums, but your next best bet would be to keep an eye on /r/PAX over on Reddit. A lot of passes get offered up once they start going out.

  • DuckSeasonDuckSeason Registered User regular
    I bought tickets back when they were first available. Should they be mailed to me by now? How close to the actual show should I start panicking if they haven't shown up yet?

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    I bought tickets back when they were first available. Should they be mailed to me by now? How close to the actual show should I start panicking if they haven't shown up yet?
    No, they don't get mailed until about 3 weeks-ish prior to the show. No panicking until 1.5 weeks prior imo.

  • MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    CyberFey wrote: »
    I have a question regarding medical passes. My husband had a quadruple bypass yesterday (11/24), and while he should be at least 90% efficient by that time, I'm a little concerned about the amount of standing and walking. Would a medical pass be something we should look into? His prognosis is very good right now, but I would hate for him to not have a good time.

    Just wanted to say that I had surgery a little over a year and a half ago and I was nowhere near 90% at the two-month mark. Granted it was not quadruple bypass surgery -- it was a stomach-related surgery -- so I am not sure how they compared. I would guess that the bypass is more invasive and requires a longer recovery period. Surgery of any kind is no joke. If some kind of medical pass is available, I would absolutely look in to getting one. Best wishes for your husband's recovery.

  • DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    DuckSeason wrote: »
    I bought tickets back when they were first available. Should they be mailed to me by now? How close to the actual show should I start panicking if they haven't shown up yet?

    75pm4dkig1pb.jpg



    Aggress
  • AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I could possibly be blind, but I didn't see it anywhere. I have a friend who works at a Hotel like one block from the convention center. She said she could make a code that gives anyone 12% room rate for PAX weekend(I already jumped on it). Once she sends me the link/code/thing where can I share it with others appropriately?
    Thanks,
    B.

  • TrailsongTrailsong Bard, Rogue, and Part-Time Legend Somewhere East of insanityRegistered User regular
    They won't be offered up on the forums, but your next best bet would be to keep an eye on /r/PAX over on Reddit. A lot of passes get offered up once they start going out.

    That helps tremendously... it's a start, at least.

  • TrailsongTrailsong Bard, Rogue, and Part-Time Legend Somewhere East of insanityRegistered User regular
    Aggress wrote: »
    I could possibly be blind, but I didn't see it anywhere. I have a friend who works at a Hotel like one block from the convention center. She said she could make a code that gives anyone 12% room rate for PAX weekend(I already jumped on it). Once she sends me the link/code/thing where can I share it with others appropriately?

    Speaking as someone who works in the hotel industry, it's something that could get her fired if she uses it-- or if it's shared on the 'net. Group codes should not be used after cut-off dates are reached (usually 21-30 days in advance of an event), and forcing the discount codes into the computer sends up all sorts of red flags. Especially if it's used liberally.

  • AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Trailsong wrote: »
    Aggress wrote: »
    I could possibly be blind, but I didn't see it anywhere. I have a friend who works at a Hotel like one block from the convention center. She said she could make a code that gives anyone 12% room rate for PAX weekend(I already jumped on it). Once she sends me the link/code/thing where can I share it with others appropriately?

    Speaking as someone who works in the hotel industry, it's something that could get her fired if she uses it-- or if it's shared on the 'net. Group codes should not be used after cut-off dates are reached (usually 21-30 days in advance of an event), and forcing the discount codes into the computer sends up all sorts of red flags. Especially if it's used liberally.

    She actually made the code for me after I mentioned I know some people who would use it. Its a rate code and she is Director of revenue so I think its all gravy on that end. I just don't know where I can give it out to people.

  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    To sign up for the Omegathon or to not sign up for the Omegathon? One of my friends was an Omeganaut at Prime and he said he loved it. That being said, I'm bringing 2 PAX noobs with me to South and I feel like if by some miracle I am chosen for the Omegathon, that I would be ditching them. How stupid am I being? The email said the form is closed down Monday Dec 15 at midnight, so I have plenty of time to be convinced yet.

    Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2014
    Just do it.

    zerzhul on
    00Fayt00
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Just do it.
    God dammit, PAX Cop...

    Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
    00Fayt00
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You only have so many chances to get in to the Omegathon, ever. Your odds of getting in are not high, but if YOU DO you will want to take it. Will it ruin your plans? Absolutely. But it's an opportunity that should not be missed. What you should worry about is first whether or not you will be selected. AFTER THAT worry about your pax plans.

  • DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Omegathon is the HOLY GRAIL OF PAX. It is near impossible to get to participate and will consume massive amounts of your days at PAX. That having been said, if you would like to do it, enter and consider if you are one of the very few lucky enough to be chosen, that it is FATE and DESTINY and you should make your plans around it. You will still have time to do what you really want, but not everything you want. I guess my comparison would be you have a chance to meet Scarlet Johansson (Taylor Kitsch if your female) for some one on one time, but it has to happen on a specific day and time or it won't happen. That day is the same day as your regular annual Night Out with all your friends you see everyday anyway... which do you attend ?



    Quackers
  • uubergeekuubergeek Registered User new member
    Quick question on the FAQ. it mentioned Remote Control Vehicles aren't allowed.... Well, i normally bring my R2-D2 to all the conventions i go to and if that's going to be a problem, i need to know now, rather than once i get there. While he is remote controlled, he's not a vehicle by any means... he's just a humble robot that likes geeky stuff.

    Geth
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    uubergeek wrote: »
    Quick question on the FAQ. it mentioned Remote Control Vehicles aren't allowed.... Well, i normally bring my R2-D2 to all the conventions i go to and if that's going to be a problem, i need to know now, rather than once i get there. While he is remote controlled, he's not a vehicle by any means... he's just a humble robot that likes geeky stuff.
    best bet is to contact [email protected]

    The main issue with things like that is that they can be safety hazards in the event of an emergency. I know at PAX Prime, someone brought an R/C Dalek and just kept it in the public areas that are technically "outside" of pax for the most part.

  • krittykritty Registered User new member
    Where can I find information about after hour events, particularly on Saturday? I have a group of game art and game programming students attending and would like to attend something where they can network. Some are under 21, but all are adults. Thanks for any assistance!

  • DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    Kritty - Not much has been announce by companies, GEARBOX is doing an event Saturday Night and , but the rest are silent right now. 14 days prior it becomes a boom town of party announcements. If you were going to EAST I would say MADE IN MASS as that is all about the networking, but nothing announced here for SOUTH so far is networking that I have seen.



  • krittykritty Registered User new member
    Thanks for the quick reply! I will keep checking until something happens - thanks!

  • 00Fayt0000Fayt00 Registered User regular
    I don't believe they have…but have calls for Omeganauts gone out? I know usually a thread is created when calls start going out, but just wanted to know if I still needed to wait by my phone hoping to get the call. ^_^

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    I don't believe they have…but have calls for Omeganauts gone out? I know usually a thread is created when calls start going out, but just wanted to know if I still needed to wait by my phone hoping to get the call. ^_^
    I don't think so. Robert usually tweets something when it's happening.

  • Retro JoseRetro Jose Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    It wasn't mentioned in the sticky, but once the floor map and schedule get posted, there will be a vendor list released as well correct?

  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Retro Jose wrote: »
    It wasn't mentioned in the sticky, but once the floor map and schedule get posted, there will be a vendor list released as well correct?
    I don't think there's an official vendor list released, no. There will likely be a list in the Guidebook guide for PAX South that lists the exhibitor booths.

  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    00Fayt00 wrote: »
    I don't believe they have…but have calls for Omeganauts gone out? I know usually a thread is created when calls start going out, but just wanted to know if I still needed to wait by my phone hoping to get the call. ^_^

    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
This discussion has been closed.