As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Your monstrous control scheme preference is welcome here.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Neotokyo is that mod that had an awesome soundtrack that never played in game, right?

Yes, that's the one! It's a pretty badass soundtrack too. It used to be free on the artist's bandcamp page but now it looks like it's $5+ AUD per disc, which is still a really great deal because it's a fantastic soundtrack.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Well, crap.

Anyone know the hours Steam Support works? I'm getting an unknown error trying to buy stuff... when can I expect a reply or a fix?

Roughly six weeks after Half Life 3 is released.

Valve is a "flat company", where people just show up and work on whatever they want to work on. This is a pretty great system, because it means people will gravitate to areas where they are the most useful instead of having to deal with shitty work bureaucracy that saps away at employee morale and productivity.

The problem is... in a company where people work on whatever they want, no one seems to want to work on customer support, and as a result Steam is lightyears behind EA and even Ubisoft when it comes to actually getting a problem taken care of.

You have my sympathies, brother.
    Steam has an actual support department with people/groups for the various languages/regions. The support department is set up like any other, it's just that they have to service millions of customers.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Got Bloodlines to run with that patch. I might read up on character creation, but I keep rolling up a Tremere when I answer questions. I have to admit, it's drawing me in. Thanks for the help, guys!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Got Bloodlines to run with that patch. I might read up on character creation, but I keep rolling up a Tremere when I answer questions. I have to admit, it's drawing me in. Thanks for the help, guys!

The only suggestion I would make is don't play a Malkavian on your first playthrough. You totally can and they're totally awesome but they become even more so on your next time around.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Got a question for the more PC-inclined folks:

I keep getting a display driver crash. If you don't know what I'm talking about, basically at random points everything freezes for an indeterminate period of time and then the screen goes black and resets. (Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered...) It mostly does it when flash video is a thing, but it will fuck up with iTunes, too.

Anyway, it seems to be a big problem with nVidia cards and Win7. (64-bit OS may also be a factor.) Not that it matters, but I'm using a GeForce 7600. Now, I'd already been planning an upgrade but a little research shows that nVidia and Win7 just doesn't seem to get along much.

So, the question is, should I consider a move to an ATI card as long as I'm running Win7 or can anybody confirm new nVidia cards aren't as bad as it appears?

Also, if ATI is the way I should go, what has been released in the last year or so that would be recommended without trying to pretend I'm building a CGI super-computer?

And perhaps to keep this thread from cluttering up, you can reply by PM.
    Thanks.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Well, crap.

Anyone know the hours Steam Support works? I'm getting an unknown error trying to buy stuff... when can I expect a reply or a fix?

Valve is a "flat company", where people just show up and work on whatever they want to work on. This is a pretty great system, because it means people will gravitate to areas where they are the most useful instead of having to deal with shitty work bureaucracy that saps away at employee morale and productivity.

The problem is... in a company where people work on whatever they want, no one seems to want to work on customer support, and as a result Steam is lightyears behind EA and even Ubisoft when it comes to actually getting a problem taken care of.

Steam has an actual support department with people/groups for the various languages/regions. The support department is set up like any other, it's just that they have to service millions of customers.

So does EA (with a much shittier product where support is 100x more necessary), so I don't really buy the "they have to help too many people" as an excuse. Frankly finding out that they have a regular support department just makes it worse and even more unacceptable that people regularly have to wait weeks for an extremely generic reply such as "turn it off and back on."

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The only effective Steam Support answer has been "Just email Gabe Newell with your problems"

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    So I've been testing out some streaming on my other Twitch account,

It's still hella choppy on my end, so I'm gonna see if I can't downgrade the resolution even more till it's at least solid. Worst comes to worst, I won't stream during our Sonic races.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    The guy who made the Portal 2 DLC was a customer support employee who started going to the Portal meetings instead of, well, doing his job. So customer support absolutely does not operate independently of the "work on whatever you feel like" mantra, and that explains a lot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    All this talk of streaming and links to people's twitch pages over the last few days has made me realize how lacking Twitch's IOS app is. I really shouldn't have to wait until someone is actively streaming to be able to find their page so that I can then follow them and then know when they are streaming. It just seems a little backwards.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

I keep getting a display driver crash. If you don't know what I'm talking about, basically at random points everything freezes for an indeterminate period of time and then the screen goes black and resets. (Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered...) It mostly does it when flash video is a thing, but it will fuck up with iTunes, too.

Anyway, it seems to be a big problem with nVidia cards and Win7. (64-bit OS may also be a factor.) Not that it matters, but I'm using a GeForce 7600. Now, I'd already been planning an upgrade but a little research shows that nVidia and Win7 just doesn't seem to get along much.

So, the question is, should I consider a move to an ATI card as long as I'm running Win7 or can anybody confirm new nVidia cards aren't as bad as it appears?

Also, if ATI is the way I should go, what has been released in the last year or so that would be recommended without trying to pretend I'm building a CGI super-computer?

Thanks.

I don't have any advice on what card to get, but I just want to say that I would get the same error when i was overclocking my GPU and pushed it slightly too high. Screen goes black and the game I'm running usually freezes or just closes immediately. Using a 9600GT.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Dirtyboy wrote: »
    Well, crap.

So does EA (with a much shittier product where support is 100x more necessary), so I don't really buy the "they have to help too many people" as an excuse. Frankly finding out that they have a regular support department just makes it worse and even more unacceptable that people regularly have to wait weeks for an extremely generic reply such as "turn it off and back on."
    All I was saying was their support department wasn't the "flat" style of the dev team. Not making excuses for them or claiming it's good, just pointing out inaccurate statement. There was some video tour of their offices and it briefly showed the support area with various flags representing different regions hanging on walls/cubicles. I don't even know how a company of around 300 people deals with support for 80 million users. At one point Blizzard had around 1400 CSRs for WoW (before they automated much of it) and it would still take several hours or days to get responses.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Is there a way to add bundles to the wishlist?

God don't I wish there was. Half my list would be bundles and GOTY editions.
    jclast wrote: »
    Grrr. PS3 has decided not to read BD movies just and the wife and I sat down to watch a modern American Classic, Cowboys & Aliens. :(

I saw that in the theater. You aren't missing anything.

I really enjoyed that movie, actually. I loved that instead of going camp, they played the monsters straight.

And with the suggestions on streaming I think I'm going to take another wack at it while streaming at a lower resolution. Wish me (more) luck.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    All this talk of streaming and links to people's twitch pages over the last few days has made me realize how lacking Twitch's IOS app is. I really shouldn't have to wait until someone is actively streaming to be able to find their page so that I can then follow them and then know when they are streaming. It just seems a little backwards.

But at least it actually has chatroom support, unlike the Steam iOS app.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

But at least it actually has chatroom support, unlike the Steam iOS app.

My favorite thing the Android app has been doing lately is dumping me into a chatroom of just myself, so I'm watching a stream and talking to myself for a few minutes before I realize something is wrong.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »

Thanks.

I don't have any advice on what card to get, but I just want to say that I would get the same error when i was overclocking my GPU and pushed it slightly too high. Screen goes black and the game I'm running usually freezes or just closes immediately. Using a 9600GT.

Yeah. I've seen that as a possible cause. Or overheating. I've already previously used canned air to clean the card and I'm fairly certain I'm not overclocking.

• Options
    Hmm, I'm dropping more frames than a shitty moving company. Should I be lowering my base resolution, or just downscaling the resolution, or both?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Gah! I didn't realize there was a new thread!

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Wow, just realized that I never did my Dale recap--and by the ancient pact it must be done, or my soul will be claimed by the Dark Bargainer as forfeit . . . .

So here we go: Steam Summer Sale 2014 recap activate!

BOUGHT FOR MYSELF
    State of Decay (Sweet!)
    Halo: Spartan Assault
    The Wolf Among Us (Yeah!)
    Gone Home
    Steamworld Dig
    Injustice, Gods Among Us: Ultimate Edition (Woo!)
    Diehard Dungeon
    Paper Sorcerer
    Coldfire Keep

GIFTED TO OTHERS
    Batman: Arkham City GOTY
    Gone Home
    FLT: Faster Than Light
    Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
    R.U.S.E.
    System Shock 2
    Hotline Miami
    Intrusion 2
    War of the Roses: Kingmaker

RECEIVED FROM AWESOME PEOPLE
    Sang Froid: Tales of Werewolves (Thanks @Ed Gruberman !)
    Shadowrun Returns (Thanks @HyphyKezzy !)
    Geneforge 1-5 (Thanks @Treadlife !)

Didn't go as crazy with the badge crafting this time--I thought the metagame was not nearly as strong or interesting as in past sales, and felt more like some kind of marketing/social experiment. Still managed a level three badge, though.

The awesome fundraiser, 1,000 mph thread crazyness, and amazing streaming marathon more than made up for the whole lackluster race theme, though--thanks to everyone here for making the sale a true event not to be missed!

Emberquick on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ManOfHonorManOfHonor Registered User regular
    HoMM as daily deal! Prepare your wallets!

• Options
    ManOfHonor wrote: »

I'm safe! I have no money in the wallet anywhere, and I've never played a Might and Magic game (a demo for one, but never a complete game), so there's no temptation.

But does that mean I win or lose?

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I remember playing 3 on my old Sega Genesis- I took three hours and rolled up the perfect party, and then tried to beat it. I didn't get very far- I was really new to that type of RPG at the time!

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    @'The Brayster' apparently there is a difference between the All Stars Racing and All Stars Racing Transformed.
    The first one is one I have. The second is the one the tournament is using.
    So....whoo!

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

the franchise pack is an amazing deal!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    there has been a little bit of confusion and @radiation has the first sonic racing, not transformed. it's a long shot but is there any chance somebody here has a copy in their inventory from the sale so he can still take part? I've checked on isthereanydeal.com but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    staplerofpaperstaplerofpaper Registered User regular
    I thought this whole sale giftapalooza was over, but @HeirTransparent decided to mess with my mind, in multiple ways, by sending me Antichamber. Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    The only effective Steam Support answer has been "Just email Gabe Newell with your problems"

I did it just one time!

(but it totally worked for me. :P )

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Well, I'm definitely regretting buying Arkham Origins in the sale. The controls are bugged and I can't use gadgets properly, because if I try to use right mouse button to ready a gadget and then left mouse to use it, Bats just punches. So I can't play it unless I do it with a controller, and honestly after ten minutes of playing it with a controller buying Bad Rats seemed like it'd be an improvement.

On the other hand, the other game I bought for myself in the sale, Cloudbuilt? All sorts of aces. It's wonderful fun. Hard, though. Can't get over B rank for the life of me.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Just finished Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea.

On the one hand, it was really interesting if you're a fan of the original game and of Infinite, but I almost wouldn't recommend it unless you've played both.

On the other, it's kinda heartbreaking the way you can actually see Irrational getting closer and closer to shutting their doors; it's obvious in the structure, pacing, and missions that they were crunching things together to make sure it was finished in time. It's not bad by any means, but if you're aware of game design, it's unmissable and gave me a bit of a sad.

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I'm dropping more frames than a shitty moving company. Should I be lowering my base resolution, or just downscaling the resolution, or both?

Just caught you again. You're looking solid now bro.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Also, yeah, in case you missed it late last night, I built this thing:

http://digitalarcanum.net/pastreamers/

Use it! Bug test it! Tell me how to make it better!

*edit* I think I'm going to go hit the Saints Row 4 DLC next. I'll stream that, too!

Houn on
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Well, I'm definitely regretting buying Arkham Origins in the sale. The controls are bugged and I can't use gadgets properly, because if I try to use right mouse button to ready a gadget and then left mouse to use it, Bats just punches. So I can't play it unless I do it with a controller, and honestly after ten minutes of playing it with a controller buying Bad Rats seemed like it'd be an improvement.

On the other hand, the other game I bought for myself in the sale, Cloudbuilt? All sorts of aces. It's wonderful fun. Hard, though. Can't get over B rank for the life of me.

I haven't had any problems with the controls in Arkham Origins using mouse and keyboard. When using gadgets, are you holding down the right mouse button while hitting the left mouse button, or are you releasing it and then hitting left mouse? I've played all three of the Arkham games and haven't had any issues at all, are you just having issues with Origins or is it also happening in the other two?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So, my streaming seems smooth enough, frame-wise, but the textures artifact to hell and back during movement. Is that normal?

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    rikdaly wrote: »

the franchise pack is an amazing deal!

On the one hand, Heroes VI! On the other hand, those are some scary customer reviews. It sounds like if I bought it I should resign myself to playing offline and crashing frequently?

Frem on
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Your bitrate is too low, hit me up on steam if you want some settings advice.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    @Santa Claustrophobia Try updating your drivers? Some people contend Nivdia has better drivers than ATI, but it's kind of a personal experience thing. It also may be whatever you're doing crashing it (some game or not, if it's just happening). But updating is a good first step. For cards check out Tom's Guide. Head on over to the Computer Build Thread if you need more help.

@cooljammer00 Turn off AA first. Anything else with a 4x or triple buffer etc. Then lower other settings, then maybe resolution.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    So, my streaming seems smooth enough, frame-wise, but the textures artifact to hell and back during movement. Is that normal?

Artifacting means your bit rate is low and is usually network related. Fast moving games need 1.5k-2k+ video bit rate.

Dropping frames is usually hardware related, meaning your processing or video is taking on too much work. Lowering resolution, quality, and frames per second should fix it.

I'll post screens of my specs and settings Monday or Tuesday.

• Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    Have you ever had a game where everyone tells you its great, but you don't believe them? Months later you decide to buy it at a steep discount and then want to evangelize how great the game is, but everyone else is already looking at you like you're the village idiot? That's how I feel about the newest Tomb Raider.

I have never really been a fan of those games, but the pacing at the start of this game is off the hook. Every time you hit a campfire, it's giving you an objective you feel you need to go do with some urgency. Every time you move the camera, there's some nook or cranny you want to explore.

Don't be like me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    Have you ever had a game where everyone tells you its great, but you don't believe them? Months later you decide to buy it at a steep discount and then want to evangelize how great the game is, but everyone else is already looking at you like you're the village idiot? That's how I feel about the newest Tomb Raider.

I have never really been a fan of those games, but the pacing at the start of this game is off the hook. Every time you hit a campfire, it's giving you an objective you feel you need to go do with some urgency. Every time you move the camera, there's some nook or cranny you want to explore.

Don't be like me.

Reminds me of this Jim Gaffigan bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imhcq5s9OLs&feature=kp

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I think we should all apply for support jobs at Valve as the ultimate act of charity.

edit: There's no customer support link on the job page but there is a psychologist link....hmmmmmm
    Mentok280.jpg
    Our Winter sale shall be constructed around......a cooking tournament

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.