As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] I can't believe it's you! Posting here! Next to me!

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Grand soul gem, shipwreck just east of khuul.

One on the west coast pretty for to the starting town
    has a ring that's like 20 will and 20 intelligence. Something a Mage char will probably keep the whole game

wat

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Well as long as we're talking about awesome hidden treasures that you can get near the start of the game in Morrowind, might as well talk about those in Skyrim.

Ironbind Barrow Can be done early on and will net you the unique Battleaxe of Fiery Souls, which is a soul-trapping twohander that also does 10 points of fire damage on hit. Unlike most unique enchantments you can disenchant this one later and apply the fiery soul trap enchantment to a weapon of your choice. It has a very solid charge scaling when applied as an enchantment, and the fire damage is a flat amount, meaning that even with a modest enchanting level you can make a weapon that has many charges available, with a short duration soul trap effect but still getting the 10 point fire damage.

If you are using the mod Immersive Weapons (which many are) you can complete the Windhelm quest Rise in the East at even very low level and the final boss will have a unique unenchanted greatsword of daedric quality. It even looks pretty cool (and it isn't a katana, praise jesus). Completing Rise in the East will also grant you a follower companion, as well as a "friend" at the party in Diplomatic Immunity who will create the distraction for you.

If you are using Immersive Armor (which is like the not mentally challenged older brother of Immersive Weapons) you can visit Sleeping Tree Camp as early as level 1 and try your hand at sneaking behind the giant inside the cave and snagging the Apotheus armor set, which is easily the nicest looking light armor added by this mod, and one of the nicest looking light armors in Skyrim. It helps if you toggle on walking, and remove any armor (particularly any heavy armor) to sneak behind the giant.

I'm sure there are countless others but these are the ones I tend to hit up at low levels.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Grand soul gem, shipwreck just east of khuul.

One on the west coast pretty for to the starting town
    has a ring that's like 20 will and 20 intelligence. Something a Mage char will probably keep the whole game

wat

nm its in a tomb right by that shipwreck and its +10 each

I always got it at the same time

my decade old memory ain't what it used ot be

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    I really, really despise Immersive Weapons. I can't bring myself to use it. It was put together by the same team as Armors, but there is no fucking way that can be true. Immersive Armors actually adds a ton of lore-friendly armor that ranges from good quality to the incredible. Immersive Weapons is laden with poorly made weapons and weapons that don't make sense.

I obsess over lore and theme friendliness. But somehow Immersive Weapons offends me far more than those runway model skimpy clothed player characters and NPCs in Fallout or Skyrim. Never thought that would be possible (nothing is lower than weeaboo child mods, gross). I think it is because of the team that made it, hothtrooper and crew, seems to be sane and reasonable, and the title is Immersive Weapons. This mod thinks its people actually lore-friendly and immersive! The gaul!

Really that just means that they have poor taste, and there is no accounting for that.

• Options
    One of these days I'm going to dive into Immersive Weapons in the creation kit and take a lot of the weapons out of the leveled item lists. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Lately I have been using Alternate Start so that I can actually play the game. If I don't load into the nice simple Alternate Start beginning cell everything goes nuts with the cart ride as the scripts get rammed by all my mods loading up for the first time.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »
    Lately I have been using Alternate Start so that I can actually play the game. If I don't load into the nice simple Alternate Start beginning cell everything goes nuts with the cart ride as the scripts get rammed by all my mods loading up for the first time.

Alternate start is absolutely necessary for me because Schlongs of Skyrim completely breaks the cart ride, but Alternate Start completely fixes it, you can even choose the start where you go through the cart ride and it works with only a few graphical oddities (also Hadvaar is naked, but that's due to immersive armors trying to put him in an alternate imperial armor set that won't load for the cart ride for some reason so... he's just naked instead in all his SOS glory).

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Yeah, once you hit a mod breakpoint alternate start is no longer optional.

Best Intro bug was we in the cart somehow ending up like, thousands of feet above skyrim.

Thankfully Alternate Start is pretty fuckin dope, and some of the starts are awesome.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Schlongs of Skyrim completely breaks the cart ride
    I understand that the way this phrase should be interpreted is probably bland and everyday and involves error messages and so on.

But I am imagining all the ways it could be interpreted, and am giggling.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Schlongs of Skyrim completely breaks the cart ride
    I understand that the way this phrase should be interpreted is probably bland and everyday and involves error messages and so on.

But I am imagining all the ways it could be interpreted, and am giggling.

Hah hah hah.

The way it breaks it is unfortunately quite boring and completely game-breaky. It just stops the cart ride cold, nothing fires off, scripted dialogues don't start, and you just are stuck there in first person and nothing ever happens.

It's not known why it does this, but it's 100%. I guess you're supposed to instal it after the cart ride on a save game that is past Helgen, but Alternate Start works as well.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Even without reasons involving 'mods breaking cart ride', I consider Alternate Start absolutely necessary because going through the linear tutorial thing over and over again would have long since killed any desire I had to re-play this game.

OK no it wouldn't, but I'd complain about it a lot more. But either way, the mod that adds Death Alternative captures to the list of starts really gives me a friggin' lot to choose from. It's almost paralyzing.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Every time I see the intro, I'm reminded that that one Stormcloak might still be alive if he hadn't been in such a rush to get his head chopped off.

• Options
    Every time I see the intro, I'm reminded that that one Stormcloak might still be alive if he hadn't been in such a rush to get his head chopped off.

But more likely dragonfood.

There weren't a ton of Helgen survivors, it was a slaughter.

• Options
    Also I like skipping the intro because I tend to side more with the Imperials even if I'm not doing the civil war, but the intro really makes me want to go with Rolof just so I can kill that evil captain who orders summary executions of people for no reason and without any due process. Fuck that bitch.

• Options
    I think I've sided with Hadvar each time except the first mostly because I'd rather be able to take all the smith's stuff than the owner of the lumber mill.

• Options
    Yeah the smith does have better stuff. Which is why I like alternate start, I can rescue Hadvar without having to worry about needing my revenge against psychotic imperial executioners.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I used Alternate Start a few times, but for my current character I actually wanted him to go through Helgen and immediately become the Dragonborn. I'm weird.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It changes things considerably

and gives you reasons to do low level stuff is cities other than Whiterun

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    hey if I want to play morrowind, what are the essential mods I need to install, and where do I find them.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I really, really despise Immersive Weapons. I can't bring myself to use it. It was put together by the same team as Armors, but there is no fucking way that can be true. Immersive Armors actually adds a ton of lore-friendly armor that ranges from good quality to the incredible. Immersive Weapons is laden with poorly made weapons and weapons that don't make sense.

I obsess over lore and theme friendliness. But somehow Immersive Weapons offends me far more than those runway model skimpy clothed player characters and NPCs in Fallout or Skyrim. Never thought that would be possible (nothing is lower than weeaboo child mods, gross). I think it is because of the team that made it, hothtrooper and crew, seems to be sane and reasonable, and the title is Immersive Weapons. This mod thinks its people actually lore-friendly and immersive! The gaul!

Really that just means that they have poor taste, and there is no accounting for that.

Yeah, I've gotten fed up with the tantos and what not being all over the fucking place. Makes no damn sense whatsoever considering we're in god damn Nord country. They should be seaxes, hand axes and shit like that but alas, the mod instead plays out like some weeaboos with no self control going apeshit. It's getting yanked tonight and since I don't actually use any weapons I won't have to worry about anything going wacky.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Yeah, I've gotten fed up with the tantos and what not being all over the fucking place. Makes no damn sense whatsoever considering we're in god damn Nord country. They should be seaxes, hand axes and shit like that but alas, the mod instead plays out like some weeaboos with no self control going apeshit. It's getting yanked tonight and since I don't actually use any weapons I won't have to worry about anything going wacky.

People always defend the mod saying "Morrowind had asian weapons!" And indeed it did, but not that many, not in such high concentrations.

Immersive weapons takes over the leveled item lists and shoves the vanilla weapons to the side, almost but not completely off the lists in some cases, and the overabundance of asian weapons (which are ostensibly Akaviri influenced weapons per the lore) is far too great for actual immersion. You'd think the Akaviri arrived a few years ago, when in fact they came, died out, and are of concern only to historians now.

• Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    hey if I want to play morrowind, what are the essential mods I need to install, and where do I find them.
    Morrowind Overhaul: Sounds and Graphics is the easy way to get 99% of the way there. I don't remember what all is included in the current version, but it should cover pretty much all the current major model and texture replacers, as well as the graphics extender, LOD/distant terrain upgrades, and dynamic grass.

The unofficial patch and the code patch are things you'll also want for bug fixes.

Tamriel Rebuilt is super rad. The aim is to add the entirety of mainland Morrowind to the game, including the same density of quests and NPCs as in the original game. The current release more than doubles the amount of explorable space in the game.

A mod to increase walking speed is a good idea, though I'm not sure where to find one at the moment.

I like GCD for leveling, though that's more of a personal preference thing. It works like Realistic Leveling for Oblivion, where your stats increase automatically with your skills, which removes the metagaming around maximizing stat gains.

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular

I've been playing with only the unofficial patch, the Morrowind Code Patch, and MGE XE to make the game widescreen and up the view distance. Also, the official plug-ins.

• Options
    edited January 2015

People always defend the mod saying "Morrowind had asian weapons!" And indeed it did, but not that many, not in such high concentrations.

Immersive weapons takes over the leveled item lists and shoves the vanilla weapons to the side, almost but not completely off the lists in some cases, and the overabundance of asian weapons (which are ostensibly Akaviri influenced weapons per the lore) is far too great for actual immersion. You'd think the Akaviri arrived a few years ago, when in fact they came, died out, and are of concern only to historians now.

I don't care what half-assed excuse they use, Nord wouldn't be caught dead with those wussy little steak knives. Unless you're using this mod of course and suddenly everyone watches way too much History channel and believes that style of weaponry is the best ever.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options

I don't care what half-assed excuse they use, Nord wouldn't be caught dead with those wussy little steak knives. Unless you're using this mod of course and suddenly everyone watches way too much History channel and believes that style of weaponry is the best ever.

The essential problem with the mod is that it adds three exotic blade types to the game (tanto, daito, katana) but then doesn't treat them as exotic when it comes to distributing them, it just slams them everyfuckingwhere.

The clubs, hammers, and axes that it adds to the game are basically all fine excepting for some low-res textures that should have been finished or left out of the mod entirely.

The altmeri sabers that it adds to the game are fine, because they are distributed to Thalmor level lists instead of being slammed everyfuckingwhere. You might occasionally find one elsewhere, but it's uncommon, as it should be.

The vanilla game has, as far as I am aware, two standard weapons that look akaviri-inspired: the ebony sword, and the ebony greatsword. Neither is common. Then there are two unique weapons which are clearly akaviri-inspired: the ebony blade, and the dragonslayer.

That's a very small fraction of the weapons in the game looking asian.

So the modders who made immersive weapons basically said that the people who made Skyrim were wrong, and changed the aesthetic of the weapons in the game dramatically.

I cannot possibly see how they can call that immersive with a straight face, unless they actually believe that they understand the aesthetic goals of the artwork in the game better than the artists who made the game, which is arrogant, and highly unlikely.

This mod is a large part of the reason that I make fun of the "immersive" line of nexus mods.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    I mean the akaviri invasion in the 2nd age was stopped by forces largely consisting of nords.

But that was like....thousands of years ago.

So any Akaviri weapon made of common materials would have been destroyed long ago.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I mean the akaviri invasion in the 2nd age was stopped by forces largely consisting of nords.

But that was like....thousands of years ago.

So any Akaviri weapon made of common materials would have been destroyed long ago.

But apparently left such an impression that thousands of years later every shopkeeper has a tanto.

• Options
    The funny part is with some slight model edits the tanto could just be called a seax and it'd work totally fine.

HickerySeax1a.JPG

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Hey. My Akaviri is a subject of considerable and current interest to many in Skyrim. :) Then again, she is very much set up as a stranger in a strange (barbarian) land, with weapons and armor not seen outside tombs and dusty books in hundreds of years.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Cliff Racer Remover was the first TES mod I ever installed.

Heh, I was just looking through my Morrowind Stuff folder and found my "Old Keepers" mod folder. Cliffracer Remover has a file date of 7/6/2002. Morrowind came out 5/1/2002 and I got it I think a week or two after release. So there you go.

Wow, I also made a bunch of mods I had forgotten about:

A set of rings to allow you to change the weather (still my favorite of my Morrowind mods)
    Integrated Atmospheric Sound Effects with Abu's Retreat, a house mod I liked
    Created a set of black clothes
    Edited one of the Better Heads models to make the eyes glow
    Increased brightness of torches
    Increased the enchanting limits
    Changed Uvirith (one of the faction player houses) to be green and lush outside
    Made some changes to the Hlaalu Stronghold you get. I don't remember exactly what now, but I remember doing it
    Staves held in one hand (to combine with Leiawin's Wizard Hats for the true Gandalf look)
    A teleport ring
    Make the weather raining when you first get off of the boat
    Made Bretons taller, for when I played one

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Aistan wrote: »
    Yeah I forgot how god damn cryptic ES quests used to be. Even in Morrowind it could be a pain in the ass.

Morrowind came with a paper map that had every single dungeon in the game on it if you look closely, as well as various points of interest. When I played it I had that thing pinned to my wall, and after every dungeon I cleared and area explored I would put a little ripped piece of tape over it indicating I had finished it.

Hell, I even used the in-game names of the daedric ruins to do the letter-replacement translation of the daedric alphabet they use on the map to label them.

I got deeper into that game than I have most others since. I wouldn't have the patience for that sort of thing now.

Ohh, that map. Serious nostalgia hit. The Morrowind temptation is rippling beneath the surface again. Though I have a feeling I'd spend forever getting it set up and then not enjoy it after being spoilt by my modded-up Skyrim.

Which remiiinds me, I downloaded Shadow of Morrowind and haven't had a dabble yet. Anyone here played around with it?

Ashe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    You people are mad, get the intelligistia marksmen mod, get a mod that adds capes, finish the quest that gets you the skull helmet, find the infinite hammer inside a dwermer fortress, get vivec's flying blessing

BAM!

You're Thor and its hunting season. Rain infinite thunder and death on their heads.

• Options
    Let's see, looks like I'm running with:

Adul's Artifact Replace (Hopesfire and Trueflame), Armor Mannequins, Better Bodies, Better Heads, Book Jackets, Bottle Replacer, Ebony Armor Fixes, Fashionable Merchants, MW Creeper 500K (increases the Creeper's gold), Reflective Gold, and Ring Texture Fix.

So, almost entirely cosmetic/graphics/make-it-prettier mods. Plus a launcher that pushes the fog/view distance WAY back, 'cause I'm not running this on an Xbox or a computer built before 2000.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I would recommend something to increase the basic run speed, it's painfully slow unless you really jack up your speed attribute.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Seems to me that reducing the distance fog and upping run speed is just a really good way to make it painfully obvious that Morrowind's game world is only a little bit bigger than a university campus.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Become Ethereal might as well have three trollfaces for its icon. The instant a dragon breaths on me I pop BE and just laugh as all that damage drops to zero. So glad I raided the Ironwhatever Barrow before heading to the Labyrinthian.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Shimshai wrote: »
    I would recommend something to increase the basic run speed, it's painfully slow unless you really jack up your speed attribute.

Oh, I've got that. It's called the Boots of Blinding Speed and a custom spell that negates their blind effect for the second or so that it takes to put them on (which is when it activates, rather than constantly firing).

and Gaslight: true, but I'm used to themepark-sized worlds by now. Besides, 9 square miles / 24 square km is considerably larger than even a community college. :)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Become Ethereal might as well have three trollfaces for its icon. The instant a dragon breaths on me I pop BE and just laugh as all that damage drops to zero. So glad I raided the Ironwhatever Barrow before heading to the Labyrinthian.

I don't think I've ever used it in combat. Like many of the shouts, it just isn't worth the long cool down.

• Options
    edited February 2015

I don't think I've ever used it in combat. Like many of the shouts, it just isn't worth the long cool down.

Become ethereal has a short cooldown (20 seconds for the one word version, which is generally what you want to use).

It's extremely useful for pure-melee characters because you can use it during a breath attack and it's usually up again for the next breath attack. Then when the dragon finally lands you can go to town.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Here's a pretty comprehensive list of Morrowind improvement mods, including sarcastic descriptions thereof.

::edit:: eehhhh, looks like a lot of the links are broken, sorry. Still worth checking out.

Fleeb on