As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] I can't believe it's you! Posting here! Next to me!

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    It also works in reverse though.

"What do you mean I got 2 gold rings out of this gold ingot, where did all the rest of my fucking gold go?"

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I still want to play morrorwind but the control scheme infuriates me at a base, irrational level.

edit
    What would you guys recommend for getting SkyUI? Steam Workshop or from the Nexus sites?

There's pretty much no reason to ever use Steam workshop. Nexus 4 lyfe.

I use exactly one mod that is on Workshop and can't be found on Nexus, which is Dawnguard Sentries.

Spacecore.

I'll never uninstall it. Ever.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Fucking ilia and her resetting ass just lost me a bunch of staves, a tribunal mask, and an entire set of morn hold Mage outfit. Parked her at my arch Mage quarters and made it her home. Will retrieve my arch mage robes when I get back on. Everyone's complaints about the quest line are valid, although I did have a blast spamming the magus staff and recharging with azura's star in a magical battle.

I've realized what bugs me about a lot of the vanilla content. It's not that human, it's quite sanitized for consoles and mass media in general. There's no hate, there no cheating, no jilted lovers, no one getting mugged on city streets, the grey quarter does not look that bad and it's supposed to be a ghetto. I just want someone to pay me to spy on their wife so they can seduce the spouse of their spouse's lover in a twisted love square.

Oh, I go to Dragonsreach to claim a bounty and discover that obis spawned three women, including one named "hammermother" who left my lightly armored ass running for my life, needing to pop a black soul gem, and requiring the aid of a fire atronarch, the court Mage, and a sacrificial guard.

Now how is UFO supposed to let me recruit guards because I could so it but now I can't.

Watching a thalmor guard get eaten by a dragon was awesome......game could have used a radiant kidnapping quest or two, especially with dragons.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Its very consolized in many regards, from my brief exposure to it thus far.

Although my brief time with it has cemented a burning, wrathful anger for Chaurus and their goddamn chain poisoning bullshit assholes.

• Options
    The thing that stands out is when they recycle assets to save Soave, like sinking bookshelves into walls to make them look like drawers.

Animation looks a hell of a lot better though, as is the sense of everywhere and place. Still could have used a few toilets.

Also curious about crossover mods. Anime from more sources besides shonen jump, that WITCH comic and cartoon. Villages of beast people, custom races jumping into leveled lists.

OMG, finding that one girl I met in the cave and in riften had a secret I discovered in a random prison, interesting npcs racks.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    There actually are toilets. I know I've seen them in some of the bandit keeps, and probably in the major castles too. Just look for a short dead-end hallway with a bucket against the wall.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Toilets and the lack there of is always something I seem to be curious of in settings.

Cause like, everyone poops. Even if they don't kill or adventure or have kids, yet lots of games will never have a toilet.

I remember seeing my first in game toilet in FFVII and being blown away. I was also shocked that WoW added a couple in Burning Crusade.

And don't know why I notice this and God help me for being so contemplative on shitting and shitting utilities.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    There absolutely are toilets in Skyrim, they just aren't flush toilets.

Buckets and chamber pots, that's the tech level. I mean, they didn't put shit nuggets in the buckets for you but the idea is there if you are looking.

• Options
    Oh, I know. I was just commenting on toilets in general.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I know every bedroom I've broken into silently scouted for possibly incursion of daedric forces has, thus far, had some kind of pot in the nightstand.

Which is both practical and horrifying.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I know every bedroom I've broken into silently scouted for possibly incursion of daedric forces has, thus far, had some kind of pot in the nightstand.

Ugh. Could you just imagine sleeping next to your spouse and waking up to the smell of their piss radiating out from the nightstand?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Derrick wrote: »

Ugh. Could you just imagine sleeping next to your spouse and waking up to the smell of their piss radiating out from the nightstand?

Not the piss I'm worried about.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular

Buckets and chamber pots, that's the tech level. I mean, they didn't put shit nuggets in the buckets for you but the idea is there if you are looking.

I wonder if there's a mod for that...

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015

Yeah, I remember finding a privy in a fortress one time with a little book of poetry or whatever next to it. Even in Skyrim, people love to read while takin a poo.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm sure somewhere some has written a Dumps of Skyrim mod

• Options
    I'd Google it, probably only take two seconds, but I'm afraid.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    There are at least two mods on LL that let you poop and more than that for peeing.

They also integrate with the various "I need to eat or I will die" survival mods.

There is also a mod to monitor horniness which integrates with the survival mods. I thought I mentioned this before, if you instal them all you will need to eat, drink, bathe, sleep, piss, shit, and jerk off regularly or you will catch diseases, have crippling penalties inflicted on you and eventually die.

I'm totally not judging people who consider this exciting gameplay though.

• Options
    Sometimes I don't know which threads are worse, the Bethesda or the Bioware threads.

The fact that I post in both and regularly contribute to said awfulness must say something profound about me.

I think it means that I have good taste and am typically either funny or contemplative.

Poop.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    You have not had sex in many days

--

You have been afflicted with blue balls.

--

Special Power Unlocked - Rage of the Blueballs. +30% damage, -25% Speech

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've realized what bugs me about a lot of the vanilla content. It's not that human, it's quite sanitized for consoles and mass media in general. There's no hate, there no cheating, no jilted lovers, no one getting mugged on city streets, the grey quarter does not look that bad and it's supposed to be a ghetto. I just want someone to pay me to spy on their wife so they can seduce the spouse of their spouse's lover in a twisted love square.

There definitely are and jilted lovers, cheating, and hate. Not surprisingly, it's often in the DB or Riften quests.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    You have not had sex in many days

--

You have been afflicted with blue balls.

--

Special Power Unlocked - Rage of the Blueballs. +30% damage, -25% Speech

Nah, it's the not bathing that gives you diseases. I'm not sure what penalty there is for not jerking off. That's a whole mod all unto itself whose purpose is to create a "horniness" value for the player and npcs which other adult mods then use to determine stuff like whether a townsperson wants to hook up with you or if they say no thanks. The penalty for not jerking off (I just looked it up) is -% to skill experience gained.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Gotta have a clear head if you're going to learn anything.

• Options
    I think a lot of the interpersonal backstory of characters in Skyrim is there, it's just not extremely apparent.

Just looking at Solitude, for example, you have: The executioner guy is carrying on with one of the townies (you can often find him in her house). Thane Bryling and Falk Firebeard are having a torrid secret love affair, Sybille Stentor is actually a vampire, Jarl Elisif (and her husband) is a Talos worshipper, Addvar and his family are desperately poor; it just goes on and on like this in every city and town.

Almost all the characters have these little lives, the game just doesn't push your nose in it.

• Options
    Well there is a first time for everything I guess. Just killed a giant at level 1 (I am now level 3).

I had just started a new game, was running to Dawnstar and passed a giant camp. Bandits attacked the giant, giant squished them. I ran in and looted the giant's chest while this was happening and the giant and his mammoth aggroed on me, so I led them in a circle around their camp so I could loot the bandit corpses, and then started hauling ass to Dawnstar.

The motherfucking giant followed me all the way to Dawnstar. The guards were useless of course and did nothing, so I got up onto the second story balcony of the alchemists shop in Dawnstar, which has a low roof. Giant could not follow and proceeded to stand there at the edge yelling at me and smashing the ground.

So I emptied every arrow I got from the bandit corpses into it then when I ran out of arrows switched to the flames spell and eventually killed it.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Sybille Stentor is actually a vampire

How did I never notice this before? Especially considering I always think "It is mid-afternoon, why is she asleep?" whenever I run through to use her arcane enchanter.

Penny. Dropped.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Ashe wrote: »

How did I never notice this before? Especially considering I always think "It is mid-afternoon, why is she asleep?" whenever I run through to use her arcane enchanter.

Penny. Dropped.

If you do her favor quest to clear out the vampire cave she throws out some hints. If you talk to the high elf mage in the lobby he throws out some hints. Finally, if you exhaust her conversation options about Torygg you get a sense she's been serving Solitude for a long time, she remembers Torygg as a boy... but she's not that old herself.

-edit-

Oh also if you do the Dawnguard storyline as a vampire she makes a "mwahahahaha we will rule the world!" during any eclipses.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Ashe wrote: »

Penny. Dropped.

If you do her favor quest to clear out the vampire cave she throws out some hints. If you talk to the high elf mage in the lobby he throws out some hints. Finally, if you exhaust her conversation options about Torygg you get a sense she's been serving Solitude for a long time, she remembers Torygg as a boy... but she's not that old herself.

-edit-

Oh also if you do the Dawnguard storyline as a vampire she makes a "mwahahahaha we will rule the world!" during any eclipses.

Also if you have Dawnguard she has blatant vampire eyes and stuff.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Installing Dawnguard revealed lots of vampires to me that I had never noticed before, because suddenly they all got the new vampire eyes and it suddenly becomes pretty silly that these people have no trouble hiding amidst human society.

Back to the discussion on reality mods, I personally like the idea of them, but in practice the results aren't always what I would call "fun". I just started up a game with lots of reality mods attached (minus pissing, shitting, and horniness) to give a little 'kick' to having the Skooma Whore mod installed... the point here is to survive as a drug-addled former bandit who now actually has to worry about where her next meal will come from, and how to stay warm. I also have the Hunterborn mod running, so I can't just collect tons of meat from animals... or rather I can, but it takes time which costs heat, hunger, and thirst.

The way I inject some fun into this is the bandit background... this character isn't some survivalist, she's gotten by on taking things from others and that's still how it goes. She doesn't build tents, but instead has to invade others' camps or lairs to find a place to rest (or inns, but I'm using Realistic Room Rentals so those aren't super cheap). Likewise, food and water tend to be taken from others, though even with food spoilage, there is a glut of it in Skyrim (especially with Immersive Patrols, which seems to give every soldier at least one food item).

Doing a realism play-through just takes a different mindset. Since I have fast-travel disabled (because otherwise there really is no point in being able to get cold), I won't be zipping around the map doing lots of quests, but will tend to more stick to a region, finding work and plundering what I can. It's a slower-paced game, but so far I'm enjoying it... already I've gotten caught up in a couple battles with overwhelming numbers of bandits, but with all the new drugs at my disposal (looted from other fallen foes or purchased), my character becomes an engine of destruction even at level 2... but the cost is going to begin mounting, and we'll see how this ends up.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I have no interest in a mod that manages that sort of thing. I roleplay it in that my characters always collect food items and store hoard them in my home, separated out into uncooked vegetables, cheese, and other non-meat ingredients, a meat container, a cooked food container, a beverage container, and a sweets container. Filling these up hoarder style as I play the game is my little nod to "survival" but I just don't need some script running that starts inflicting shit on me if I didn't pay enough attention to that aspect of play because I was enjoying something else at the time.

As for the weather mods, the idea of huddling in a tent during a snowstorm just sounds boring.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    If you don't change your socks daily, you get trench foot, movement is impaired, then eventually your character either dies in the wild or becomes a guard.

"I used to be an adventurer like you, but I didn't take care of my feet."

Immersion!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2015
    If you don't change your socks daily, you get trench foot, movement is impaired, then eventually your character either dies in the wild or becomes a guard.

Immersion!

Yeah I have started to hate the word "immersion" because it's become a euphemism for "tedious, usually unrealistic bullshit".

-edit-

Case in point, Frostfall: having a flaming aura spell up won't keep you warm. The reason? "Balance"

Wait, what is this "balance" shit, I thought this was an immersion mod? Yeah well, apparently things that make logical sense aren't immersive if they cut through the intentional difficulty.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    I do have to tip my hat to the people who install a mod that cranks up the cost of inn rooms to what I can only imagine is a huge amount, then installs a mod that makes it so if you don't sleep you die, then installs a mod that inflicts diseases on you if you try to sleep anywhere other than a home or inn.

I don't understand why that is fun, but it sure sounds like a difficult game to play.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular

Immersion!

Yeah I have started to hate the word "immersion" because it's become a euphemism for "tedious, usually unrealistic bullshit".

-edit-

Case in point, Frostfall: having a flaming aura spell up won't keep you warm. The reason? "Balance"

Wait, what is this "balance" shit, I thought this was an immersion mod? Yeah well, apparently things that make logical sense aren't immersive if they cut through the intentional difficulty.

I played The Realm way back in the day, and the way you protected yourself from pickpocketing thieves was by enchanting an item with fire shield. It burned their fingers. I rediscovered that the other day when I decided to see if the game was still around and thought that was awesome.

• Options
    How does magical fire not keep you warm?

It's magic!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Proof that Skyrim is all about making your own game:

I just had a very special Bleakfalls Barrow run. "Bleakfalls Barrow?!? But that's so boring, I've done it a hundred times!"

Yes, but have you ever run it using one of the bandits as a hostile "companion" with the goal of keeping them alive until the end? I just did that, I selected the bandit who kills himself in the first trap room by pulling the lever and being poison-darted to death as my "buddy".

I ran in behind him to alert him so he wouldn't trigger the trap, then opened the door for us and killed the rats and just proceeded through the dungeon as I normally would, with the exception that I had a hostile bandit chasing me trying to kill me the entire time. Being fast with the swinging blade traps and using healing hands I was able to keep him alive through both of those, and just generally by proceeding quickly I was able to avoid him wailing on me too much. I let him tank the giant spider briefly while I freed Aravel the Swift, letting him run off ahead to die. Through sheer luck he managed to die and wedge himself under the swinging door trap, disabling it, so I didn't need to worry about getting my bandit buddy through it.

I was extremely pleased when he was able to make the transition into Bleak Falls Sanctum with me (and promptly resumed trying to kill me). I led him all the way into the last room where I triggered the word wall, and then jumped behind the coffin letting my bandit buddy fight the boss while I healed him with healing hands.

When he killed the boss I took all the loot and he chased me to the exit but was unable to transition outside with me. But he did survive! Perhaps the first time he has survived the Dragonborn retrieving the stone from the barrow ever.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    "I've been telling you guys this is a dangerous place! Look at this Godamn dart trap!"

• Options
    Well there is a first time for everything I guess. Just killed a giant at level 1 (I am now level 3).

I had just started a new game, was running to Dawnstar and passed a giant camp. Bandits attacked the giant, giant squished them. I ran in and looted the giant's chest while this was happening and the giant and his mammoth aggroed on me, so I led them in a circle around their camp so I could loot the bandit corpses, and then started hauling ass to Dawnstar.

The motherfucking giant followed me all the way to Dawnstar. The guards were useless of course and did nothing, so I got up onto the second story balcony of the alchemists shop in Dawnstar, which has a low roof. Giant could not follow and proceeded to stand there at the edge yelling at me and smashing the ground.

So I emptied every arrow I got from the bandit corpses into it then when I ran out of arrows switched to the flames spell and eventually killed it.

on like my first quest out of whiterun, I stumbled upon giants. I thought they were friendly and walked up to talk to them, because they were not immediately hostile.

They did not like it, I hid under a bridge west of whiterun and emptied every arrow I had, then spent like 30 minutes puttering a starter fire spell cause I was out of magic before I gave up and reloaded, cause there was like 2 giants and 3 mammoths surrounding me under the bridge

• Options
    I've got nothing again realism or pain, but skyrim lacks money and time sinks to make all this hording worth it. What would be a good mod that would cause bandits to raid my hold.....are there mods that have bandits/dragons randomly kidnap townsfolk?

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I do have to tip my hat to the people who install a mod that cranks up the cost of inn rooms to what I can only imagine is a huge amount, then installs a mod that makes it so if you don't sleep you die, then installs a mod that inflicts diseases on you if you try to sleep anywhere other than a home or inn.

I don't understand why that is fun, but it sure sounds like a difficult game to play.

Realistic Room Rentals just makes the cost of staying at inns non-trivial, but doesn't make them cost-prohibitive. To me, that's immersion... it's not un-fun bullshit, but does at least put some weight into staying at an inn and (along with Frostfall) being warm versus sleeping outside and potentially losing heat (as campfires don't last forever if the player builds them). On the other hand, I use the Simple Actions mod which lets me sleep anywhere, so technically I don't need an inn... I can lay down next to any fire and stay warm since placed fires never die. Just as you have your ways of injecting RP into a game with no limitations, I add the limitations as ways to flavor how I RP in my game... it's not just my way of hammering nails into my dick.

Real Needs and Diseases is likewise configurable, and I always turn down the possibility of getting diseases from drinking in a stream or sleeping in 'dirty' beds (classified as beds found in bandit lairs and the like) down to almost nothing. I keep it around for eating raw and spoiled food again for the purposes of making me actually look for food that is good and maintaining my supply since it can spoil if kept around too long. Again, this isn't some arrow-in-knee handicap, as food is generally easy to find... it just becomes something I need to do, because if I don't need to do it, I completely forget about food consider it all clutter.

The other thing about the way I play Skyrim is that I'm pretty much always a vagabond type... I almost never buy a house, and as such have no safe place to store acres of loot. I keep only what I can carry, and the rest gets sold, smelted to make something better, or left behind. Lately I have been using Convenient Horses, so if I get a mount it becomes my mobile loot depository, and that serves as a good compromise for me because, naturally, horses can die.

• Options
    the best time and/or money sink would be if there was a Real Time Settler-style mod for Skyrim like there was in F3/NV.

That was probably the best mod, ever.

Also, my raging hatred for Chaurus have been somewhat mitigated by
    going full beastmode and ripping them to chitinous shreads with my claws. bonus points for immunity to all diseases while wolfed