As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb: cool vids about cool games for cool peeps

19495969798100»

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i decided to go with researching what determines the popularity/satisfaction with a roller coaster

from a mechanical perspective (height/speed/number of loops/etc) and a design perspective (disney-style theming)

and then the psychology works in just because we're measuring how people respond to a thing

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    it's sort of weird how rare cs/game design appears to be as a double major

most of the game design students i've talked to are like

super impressed that i have some idea of how code actually qorks

Everyone has ideas. No one wants to actually do things

And everyone thinks their ideas are good, for some reason.

Well

Thinking all your ideas are garbage isn't exactly good either

I actively wish everyone thought their ideas were good, on the caveat they be open minded about them

Wishing people would realize how awful thier ideas are is not good for anyone.

I never said I wanted people to just sit there and think about how awful their ideas are.

I would say that people should realize that they have a large number of ideas, of varying quality, and sifting through and finding the ones with potential is a lot of work, and then refining those ideas and seeings which ones can be fleshed out and which ones break is a lot of work. Making worthwhile ideas is a lot of work.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Also, if you don't hate yourself and everything you do, then why are you even trying to make anything

:expressionless:

• Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    Rock Paper Shotgun is hiring a new writer with the intention of it being a new voice. No past video game writing experience required. Thought some people here who were interested in the Giant Bomb gig might be interested in this as well.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/11/join-us-join-us-join-us-rps-is-recruiting/

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    For some reason Kingpin: Life of Crime is forever burnt into my memory

I didn't even like it

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I'm taking a professional communications class

and i have to write up a proposal for a research project that my team can do, and one of the stipulations is that the project has to incorporate all of our majors

i'm computer science/game design, and then we have two mechanical engineering majors and one psychology major

what do i even

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUe5FGIcYq8

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Now turn that divorce machine into a free-to-play eSports and maybe I'll take it seriously

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Pretty good intro
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rveg9MxCYw
    I think every AC game I've ever played had a baller into really.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    NA PSN is having a flash sale on mostly PS1 classics
    Dino Crisis (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    Dino Crisis 2 (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    Double Dragon Neon (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Dyad (PS3) $0.99 $14.99
    Harvest Moon: Back To Nature (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    Legend Of Dragoon (PS3/PSP) $0.99 $5.99
    Machinarium (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Machinarium (PS Vita) $0.99 $6.99
    Malicious (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee HD (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Papo & Yo (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Syphon Filter (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    Syphon Filter 2 (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    Syphon Filter 3 (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    Tekken 2 (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    The Cave (PS3) $0.99 $14.99
    Thomas Was Alone (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Thomas Was Alone (PS Vita) $0.99 $9.99
    ToeJam & Earl (PS3) $0.99 $4.99
    Twisted Metal: Black (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Urban Trial Freestyle (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Urban Trial Freestyle (PS Vita) $0.99 $6.99
    Velocity Ultra (PS Vita) $0.99 $7.49
    Velocity Ultra (PS3) $0.99 $9.99
    Virtua Fighter 2 (PS3) $0.99 $4.99
    Wild Arms (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    Wild Arms 2 (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) $0.99 $5.99
    Worms Revolution (PS3) $0.99 $14.99

Speficially though is Harvest Moon: Back to Nature worth getting? I've never really played a harvest moon game. @rfilyaw‌

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Still no ps1 classics on ps4 huh

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Everyone buy Dino Crisis 2, it is the best!

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wow Ray wise has been old forever

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    He's basically hasn't aged since Twin Peaks.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    I bought Divinity Original Sin and curse you people its so good

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    After I restarted divinity last night I basically condensed 4 days of playtime into one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Drew is playing Planet of the Apes.

For the GBA.

• Options
    I just fought what I believe to be the climactic battle of Divinity's first region. 25 hours played.

signature.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    JohnHam wrote: »
    I just fought what I believe to be the climactic battle of Divinity's first region. 25 hours played.

Was it?
    Braccus Rex?

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    One of my favourite overseas titles is that in France, Step Up is called Sexy Dance.

• Options
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    One of my favourite overseas titles is that in France, Step Up is called Sexy Dance.

but what is step up 2 tha streets

• Options
    BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    Run into a new problem. I am lvl 13 with a group of *Extreme Hybrids*. They're walking around in heavy plate, wielding a twohander, and are 2-3 skill-lvls deep into every school of magic. The game offers only 3 hotbars, and I've just now run out of space on the hotbars. I can learn even more spells though, and I fully intend to.

Suggestions?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

Sexier Dance

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Kilroy wrote: »

Sexy Dance 2 The Streets

duh

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Was it?
    Braccus Rex?

Indeed it was. Is it a fakeout, and there's an even bigger fight around the corner?

signature.png

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Was it?
    Braccus Rex?

Indeed it was. Is it a fakeout, and there's an even bigger fight around the corner?
    Nope, that's pretty much the climactic battle of that area.

I seriously lucked out with that fight, he ended up wasting his fucking crazy fire spell on my two summons, and I managed to take out his minions with relative ease.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Can anyone explain how multiplayer works in Divinity?

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how multiplayer works in Divinity?

2 Player co-op, you make one character each and play as them much the same way you do solo except you just have the one character.

I didn't get any further than that but I imagine it gives each player a henchman each when you get those.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

We are basically like clouds

Also please don't eat chinchillas

Chincy, would you like to come over to my place.... for dinner?

• Options

Was it?
    Braccus Rex?

Nope, that's pretty much the climactic battle of that area.

I seriously lucked out with that fight, he ended up wasting his fucking crazy fire spell on my two summons, and I managed to take out his minions with relative ease.
    Yeah, that opening volley can be super devastating if your team is clustered (as I discovered on my first two attempts).

I was really nervous once that fight kicked off because I had TONS trouble with the original Two Skulls Flame Man by himself. One of my PCs is heavily Fire specced so I couldn't do much but buff. What a difference a few levels make, though; he was much easier to deal with the second time around (the ice elemental also helped I GUESS).

signature.png

• Options

WHY DOES THIS BOOK SAY HOW TO COOK CHINCHILLAS

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

Because South America

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Because once you get off the part for the coat you still have all that left over stuff

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    @Chincymcchilla
    Where do you think we got the idea for corn dogs?

edit: Okay, it probably wasn't CHINCHILLAS.
    But it 's a fun lie to propagate, and I don't know where corn dogs came from!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular

it has space dust on it, see it says"How to Cook for Chinchillas"

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    @Speed Racer

How long have you been studying the CS/Game Design degree for? Is this your first semester?

Either way I'm also a Game Design student, so since you said you haven't really talked to many other Game Design students I thought I'd offer my own experiences. With the caveat that I'm in another country, of course, so our system is a bit different.

The course I am studying is Digital Design, which is a BA(Digital Design). I could also be doing a Bachelor of Humanities (Mass Communication) to achieve a similar course but this one has better core units (what we call a 'unit' here is a 'class' for you guys) and whatnot. I know a few other guys who are doing a double major with other stuff, including computer science, but we generally have a lot of room for elective units so you can basically do a double major in terms of education without having to actually do one officially.

The course itself has a bunch of core classes that deal with general design principles and then applied design theory. So I'm talking about really general design stuff here- there's folks who want to be animators, advertising, web design, graphic design, etc in the course as well so at the foundation level it's very broad. The difference between us students is entirely about what we decide to apply the design theory to in our assignments, and what elective units we take. So some of my first year core units were stuff like film/tv analysis, basic fine art stuff (mostly with a focus on visualization skills development rather than actual fine art skills), sound engineering, some basic 2D and 3D modelling and animation, some culture studies and lots of communication skills learning. Most of the classes I have for these units I end up with the same people, so we form a sort of cohort as we go along of people to work with etc

Second year you have two core units and 2 electives per semester, and that's where you start diverging out into the different careers you want to do. The two core units are still design theory + applied design theory. Usually I have one or two theory classes (lots of case studies, essay work, blog writing etc) and then a couple of applied theory classes, per unit. The applied theory is where things get fun, because the actual projects you work on are entirely up to you. They just have to involve the design theory that we're looking at. I did a semester-long case study of Valve for one of the theory classes- full on presentations and long-form essays and shit about them, basically.

The electives are the key thing though. Some of my other classmates are doing pure CS units, or art units or whatever the hell it is they're mainly focused on. Then there's a laser-focused game design unit or two every semester that I've been doing, which has always been super fun thus far. Most of it is group work, but you have to get into groups with people focusing on different skills. So, being more on the design/art/writing side of things, I've grouped up with programmers, other artists, sound designers etc for group projects because we want a balanced mix.

Anyway that's probably all super boring and arcane since I'm on the other side of the world, but the essence of what I've kinda learned from my (very convoluted, shitty) jaunt through University is that Game Design studies are only ever worth it if you're also learning how to apply all that theory. So you need a solid technical skill, a solid knowledge of the other technical skills that are involved (my very first group project was chaotic, because a lot of us didn't understand what was involved in the other parts of the project. Once we sat down and talked through all that and we all started learning a bit of the other skills everything because so much easier) and that you need to have some really fucking good communication skills. It's pretty much paramount that you need to be able to talk to people working on different parts of a project and know what they're talking about, and then how to explain that to people working on other stuff in a way they can also understand.

So yeah it does strike me as weird that not a lot of people do CS/Game Design, but mostly from the CS side rather than the Game Design side. I think there's a lot of people who study CS and don't have much of a grasp on the design theory or communication side of things and I think that can hamstring folks quite a lot. It's exactly what happened to my ex with her Game Development course at another university- she was always in classes with other programmers and no-one could design or communicate for shit and it was hell for everyone involved, I heard.

Anyway you probably know most of this already but I find the topic really interesting so there's my 2 cents

This discussion has been closed.