As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Giant Bomb: cool vids about cool games for cool peeps

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It's okay the Mechanical Engineer guy is probably thinking the same thing about your major.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    at least i have the good sense to have computer science in addition to the hippy dippy liberal arts game degree

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    it's sort of weird how rare cs/game design appears to be as a double major

most of the game design students i've talked to are like

super impressed that i have some idea of how code actually qorks

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'd be amazed that you know how something qorks as well!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

We are basically like clouds

Also please don't eat chinchillas

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

So do these game design classes deal purely with stuff that can be done as board games and theory?

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

how many times have you heard "I'm just gonna get a unity license"?

• Options
    i actually only signed up to double major this spring and the only class i've knocked out for the major was Science Fiction Literature (which IMO is a stupid class to have as a core requirement but what do I know, at least the class was fun) so i don't have a strong idea of what the course content for the actual game design classes are

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Game design is generally an "idea" thing whereas programming is a "mechanics" thing, so the majority of people getting into game design being of the "idea" type that doesn't understand under the hood makes sense.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Yeah if I were getting into game making as a career, I would definitely want to have a 'hard' skill like programming, art, maybe writing. Design doesn't seem like something they just hire you straight into.

• Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Yeah if I were getting into game making as a career, I would definitely want to have a 'hard' skill like programming, art, maybe writing. Design doesn't seem like something they just hire you straight into.

Nope. You need other skills, or else you're kinda hooped.

Personally, I can hold my breath for like.. five minutes.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    i guess come to think of it i haven't really talked to a lot of game design students

our school lumps game design, 3d modeling, animation, and computer graphics together under the umbrella of "arts and technology," and then you take specific classes relevant to the field you're interested in within that major

i've mostly talked with 3D modeling people which i guess it makes sense they wouldn't know computer shit much

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Communications classes are always stupid. All they teach you is that working in a group is awful.

Maybe it's good to learn that early and get it out of the way, but really anyone who has gone through any amount of schooling should know that by the time college comes around.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    ... Danny O'Dwyer is wrong about crosses in FIFA and I don't know how to react.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    ZPMFDdB.jpg

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular

Everyone has ideas. No one wants to actually do things

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Communications classes are always stupid. All they teach you is that working in a group is awful.

Maybe it's good to learn that early and get it out of the way, but really anyone who has gone through any amount of schooling should know that by the time college comes around.

I had one communication class

for my final presentation, which took place on the week of the release of the Wii, I came in with my brand-new Wii and played Twilight Princess on the projector for 20 minutes (my teammate flaked out and just didn't show up)

got a perfect grade, my teammate had to do a second assignment all on his own

sig.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Not surprised! That movie is insanely popular over here in Japan. My students talk to me about it all the time.

The title for it in Japan is Anna and The Snow Queen. They like to go with that style or title over one word things like Frozen. Like Up is Grandpa Carl's Flying House

• Options
    In French, Home Alone is "Mommy! I Missed The Plane!"

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    at least i have the good sense to have computer science in addition to the hippy dippy liberal arts game degree

does your school have a software engineering program?
    it has a lot of overlap with cs but with more of a focus toward software development methodologies, project planning and etc whereas cs goes more theory, more of an academic-type field of improving search algorithms and writing the proofs

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Home Alone 2: Lost In New York?

"Mommy! I Missed The Plane Again And I'm Lost In New York!"

sig.gif
  • Options
    rfilyaw wrote: »

And everyone thinks their ideas are good, for some reason.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »

Wait

Seriously

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Wait

Seriously

It was the early 90s, it was a weird time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    affich_1531_1.jpg

sig.gif
  • Options
    (you just learned that "encore" is just French for "again")

sig.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BbYTGKsX2w

now someone dub this into French

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    Home Alone 3 is apparently "Mommy, I took care of the villains!"

• Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BbYTGKsX2w

now someone dub this into French

Just literally watched this show three days ago.

sig.gif
  • Options
    What if I have terrible ideas but want to make them into games to spite people

Example: a multiplayer online battle arena...

• Options
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    Home Alone 3 is apparently "Mommy, I took care of the villains!"

Yeah nobody cared anymore by then. Come on, didn't even mention a plane.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also Airplane is "Is There A Pilot On The Plane?"

Something about French titles and planes.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

You're.... David Cage?

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »

You're.... David Cage?

Yes! I mean, oui!

• Options
    (you just learned that "encore" is just French for "again")

I kind of hope everyone already knew that!

They chant that in Japan too, after shows, to get another performance. But it's pronunciation has been modified, of course, to be an-ko-ru. A nice three syllable chant.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »

And everyone thinks their ideas are good, for some reason.

Well

Thinking all your ideas are garbage isn't exactly good either

I actively wish everyone thought their ideas were good, on the caveat they be open minded about them

Wishing people would realize how awful thier ideas are is not good for anyone.

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    chincy do you pay for water or is it included in rent

if it is included in rent run your shower freezing cold and buy a big fan and stick it so it sucks air from your bathroom and towards the rest of your place

used to do it in my apartment all the time and it super helped

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    if running the water isn't an option, have you considered becoming a nudist

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I'm taking a professional communications class

and i have to write up a proposal for a research project that my team can do, and one of the stipulations is that the project has to incorporate all of our majors

i'm computer science/game design, and then we have two mechanical engineering majors and one psychology major

what do i even

BUILD A METAL GEAR

Talk about the medical applications people are coming up with for the kinect!

8EVmPzM.jpg
This discussion has been closed.