As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battleborn] Out Now! Go Do Badass Type Stuff!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Yeah, they want people streaming. I didn't want to copy everything.

It seems split-screen will be available too.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I look forward to seeing how badly Phoebe got nerfed.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Ok, so seeing that this was being streamed on the front page of twitch last night. That means we can actually talk about it.

All this from me is from my closed beta experience. Which, honestly, from the looks of what I saw last night for the open beta is still good for the bare bones of the game.

So. The multiplayer mode available to us at the time was absolutely an FPS Moba. And, in my opinion, an absolute spiritual successor to Super Monday Night Combat. You were pushing mobs down lanes toward a goal. You can spend earned money in the match to build and upgrade defenses just like MNC. You gain levels as you kill mobs and other players and get a choice every level of two upgrades. Usually these upgrades focused on specific playstyle choices for the character. But some of them greatly changed how some of your powers worked. The shooting in it isn't as tight as Overwatch, but It wasn't awful.

The light comedy that is kind of the underlying theme of the character design / theme is also reminiscent of MNC. Though I found the aesthetic reminded me more of Wildstar than anything else.

The single player / co op mode that we had was more like a slimmed down version of Borderlands 2. With the same lighthearted comedy wackiness. Though it was really rough in the closed beta and needed some polish.

The single player was, at the time, also the only way to get Augments. Which is the "rune" system. Kind of like what League of Legends have. These augments could be activated in multi or single player by spending the money that you gain in the match. So it made an interesting choice between building defenses or upgrading yourself with augments.

All in all. I liked the game. If you liked MNC or SMNC, you'd probably like this game. From what I saw last night, the game is WAY more polished than in the closed beta. Personally, I think a lot of this game's success will come from how well the single player / co op will be received. But I think the actual MOBA aspects will set it enough apart as an experience from Overwatch.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm excited to try this out today. I feel like it's going to be good, and that's gonna suck(not really) for me. Because Battleborn, Uncharted 4, DOOM, and Overwatch all come out relatively close together and I'm going to want to buy them all...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Been playing a really long, exhilarating game of "Battleborn Open Beta Queue"! Man... it's intense.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Was wondering what people were talking about, didn't think it opened until next week.

It's only the PS4 version open right now, others coming the 13'th?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Phoebe was OP previously, curious if that has changed at all

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    They nerfed Phoebe pretty hard.

The devs were actually on Annemunition's stream last night and they talked about the fact that she was the first major nerf to a character that they did.

• Options
    This beta is annoying... this queue thing suuucks. Played the first story mission, had a blast and then got booted to the main menu. Now im back in a queue with no indication how long that will take. Im not complaining. I understand its a beta and they're testing stuff, but like... man I wanna try out your game.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Ok, so seeing that this was being streamed on the front page of twitch last night. That means we can actually talk about it.

All this from me is from my closed beta experience. Which, honestly, from the looks of what I saw last night for the open beta is still good for the bare bones of the game.

So. The multiplayer mode available to us at the time was absolutely an FPS Moba. And, in my opinion, an absolute spiritual successor to Super Monday Night Combat. You were pushing mobs down lanes toward a goal. You can spend earned money in the match to build and upgrade defenses just like MNC. You gain levels as you kill mobs and other players and get a choice every level of two upgrades. Usually these upgrades focused on specific playstyle choices for the character. But some of them greatly changed how some of your powers worked. The shooting in it isn't as tight as Overwatch, but It wasn't awful.

The light comedy that is kind of the underlying theme of the character design / theme is also reminiscent of MNC. Though I found the aesthetic reminded me more of Wildstar than anything else.

The single player / co op mode that we had was more like a slimmed down version of Borderlands 2. With the same lighthearted comedy wackiness. Though it was really rough in the closed beta and needed some polish.

The single player was, at the time, also the only way to get Augments. Which is the "rune" system. Kind of like what League of Legends have. These augments could be activated in multi or single player by spending the money that you gain in the match. So it made an interesting choice between building defenses or upgrading yourself with augments.

All in all. I liked the game. If you liked MNC or SMNC, you'd probably like this game. From what I saw last night, the game is WAY more polished than in the closed beta. Personally, I think a lot of this game's success will come from how well the single player / co op will be received. But I think the actual MOBA aspects will set it enough apart as an experience from Overwatch.

For me, the characters are just so so so much better than Overwatch there's no contest.

• Options
    Im beginning to think that getting kicked to the main menu is intentional after every game... Regardless, this beta has sold me on this game. Just played a story mission with randoms, and it was great.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I REALLY hate how difficult it is to tell when you're taking damage and how hard it is to grab the top "ball" in the three-ball chests.

Plus sprint and non-sprint are so close there's almost no point and the sprint-toggle is messed up as hell it just quits for no reason. Playing solo is stupid hard and the levels are way too long without being able to save mid-way.

Still love the game tho, I pre-purchased the deluxe edition.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    they finally added servers so the queue issues seem to be resolved for now...

Played both public story missions with Montana and really am intrigued now.

BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    This is the first battle arena game I don't hate. I'm in love. It's full of delightful personality. It's a shame it doesn't seem to be getting a whole lot of a buzz, though.

I just unlocked Ambra. She's a wrecking ball from the start, maybe even a little too much so. It was practically impossible for me to die and I think I went 25-3 by the end of it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    This seems bretty gud. I've no clue what I'm doing but I'm playing a mushroom ninja and I cannot argue with tthat.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    SkyAndPieSkyAndPie Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Man, so bummed I have to wait for the PC open beta in the middle of next week. Ugh, I wanted to play it this weekend! But it looks like it was a queue fest for a bit.

SkyAndPie on
    Diablo 3: SkyAndPie#1551
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I tried playing this but the first single player level was insanely long and I never really understood the maps. Something about these moba type shooters does not work with my brain and understanding maps. Mnc was similar in that regard

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Yea first level took 30 min and we died on the boss, wipe to menu. Spent at least 5 min waiting at 2nd barrier where you have to launch people up, one guy refused to send others and they just went up there and died. People ruin mobas, glad to see they can even ruin single player

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yup. People are the death of this. Played one story mission with a dude who did nothing but ran around collecting shit and dying eating up the lives. Comes down to only him alive on the boss and he hides in a corner until overwhelmed by mobs. This all only took 50 minutes....

Think I'm done with this. If it were FTP I might occasionally give it a go but no way am I giving them 60 bucks for this. Feels very unpolished and the missions are not very clear on what you're supposed to be doing.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Yup. People are the death of this. Played one story mission with a dude who did nothing but ran around collecting shit and dying eating up the lives. Comes down to only him alive on the boss and he hides in a corner until overwhelmed by mobs. This all only took 50 minutes....

Think I'm done with this. If it were FTP I might occasionally give it a go but no way am I giving them 60 bucks for this. Feels very unpolished and the missions are not very clear on what you're supposed to be doing.

It seems a little silly to blame the beta version of a game for the actions of some pub group idiot.

Granted, I agree that the first mission is too hard and long and confusing. The rest of the game is great tho.

But if this was FTP I wouldn't touch it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

It seems a little silly to blame the beta version of a game for the actions of some pub group idiot.

Granted, I agree that the first mission is too hard and long and confusing. The rest of the game is great tho.

I'm not blaming the dev's for idiots, I'm blaming the devs for designing in such a way to maximize the power of the random internet idiots. One person shouldn't really be able to veto the group moving forward. That doesn't feel like the sort of thing they just haven't polished yet.

Like the inability to report unfriendly behavior I'll write off as beta issues.

• Options

I'm not blaming the dev's for idiots, I'm blaming the devs for designing in such a way to maximize the power of the random internet idiots. One person shouldn't really be able to veto the group moving forward. That doesn't feel like the sort of thing they just haven't polished yet.

This player hid from the boss and died. That isn't actually "vetoing the group moving forward". If it is I've done that repeatedly when I was the last one up and couldn't kill a boss.

That said, I don't like the extra lives system at all or the fact that a situation like this can occur in the game (50 mins of playing and failing and no rewards). You should at least be able to keep the XP gained or the items found.

• Options

This player hid from the boss and died. That isn't actually "vetoing the group moving forward". If it is I've done that repeatedly when I was the last one up and couldn't kill a boss.

That said, I don't like the extra lives system at all or the fact that a situation like this can occur in the game (50 mins of playing and failing and no rewards). You should at least be able to keep the XP gained or the items found.

On the boss wasn't really the design thing that bothered me, well except for the lives mechanic. I meant the numerous places where it required everybody on the pad at the same time. Either for the jump thing or to trigger the boss. The jump/clear room part stalled us because dumb dude was the last one over there so he was the one sent up. He just looted the immediate buffs and ran back down so we didn't know it was what was needed to progress.

On the boss he looted the entire arena, wasting bunches of the buffs before we could start the encounter. That was the sort of vetoing I was talking about.

• Options
    I will say the one thing this game does have is unlocks and bars to fill. Think the only thing I could see myself being really excited about was filling up meters, getting next unlock or challenge - which does appeal to the completionist in me but it's probably a little over board. Think they took the million different guns idea from borderlands and just made a million different bars/challenges to fill.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    I'll give this a go again on the PC open beta.

I enjoyed it ok and I was a fan of MNC and SMNC. I'm also interested to see how the co op panned out. It was very unfinished in closed beta.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PVYZGOJrH4

I watched that over the weekend. Got me interested in this game. I am preloaded and ready to play when the beta hits.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So I'm playing a dapper robot sniper who throws owls. This is certainly a game.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Having fun in a 4-5 person group. Single player is terrible. and you can buy packs no problem for the augments now.

Galelia is stupid OP. Then Ambra. everyone else that was accessable so far at least had one counter.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I gave the campaign and a round of the versus mode that was in the earlier beta and... I really want to like it again, but so far it just hasn't clicked. I quite enjoyed it before, it was good fun, so it might just be that I'm the one not pulling my share in meeting it. The campaign's humour just wasn't connecting with me for some reason, I guess maybe I felt like I've heard those jokes and characters before in Borderlands, which just reminds me that it all feels extremely similar to Borderlands for better or for worse. And likewise, I just didn't feel like I was enjoying the PvP as much as I was before. I doubt they've made any changes to the gameplay loop so significant as to make it feel different, so yeah I have to assume that it's on me. I'll give it another try though, to see if I get into it more.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    I gave the campaign and a round of the versus mode that was in the earlier beta and... I really want to like it again, but so far it just hasn't clicked. I quite enjoyed it before, it was good fun, so it might just be that I'm the one not pulling my share in meeting it. The campaign's humour just wasn't connecting with me for some reason, I guess maybe I felt like I've heard those jokes and characters before in Borderlands, which just reminds me that it all feels extremely similar to Borderlands for better or for worse. And likewise, I just didn't feel like I was enjoying the PvP as much as I was before. I doubt they've made any changes to the gameplay loop so significant as to make it feel different, so yeah I have to assume that it's on me. I'll give it another try though, to see if I get into it more.

Yeah, I felt kind of...disconnected from the gameplay. Enemies didn't react when my grenade went off directly on them, bullets didn't feel like they were actually hitting them.

Also sick of invulnerability phases on bosses, such a lazy design trick.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Weird. I cant download the beta on steam. It just tells me the beta isn't available to download. Guess I'll try the PS4 one.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    heenato wrote: »
    Weird. I cant download the beta on steam. It just tells me the beta isn't available to download. Guess I'll try the PS4 one.

Dunno if it was just something that was busted, but I was pre-loaded and it's now downloading a patch to launch it.

EDIT: You know, I do kind of wish they had one of the Capture Point maps available in the beta. Might be able to those new to the genre ease into it more.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I was absolutely wrecking shit with Rath last night. I played a few matches today and saw similar results. He's kind of squishy until 5 when you can start using "spin to win". I'm surprised they didn't nerf it with today's patch.

Edit: Just won a match with a 20 kill streak. Either I've found my main or he's giga op.

That_Guy on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Okay, after playing this again after the closed beta, I think it can definitely stand on its own legs without Overwatch stealing its lunch.

Just did my first PVP game as Miko, running around being unkillable and healing errything.

• Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    so incursions fun just be aware there is a pretty big exploit at the moment.

if you are the robot sniper you can hit the first spider robot from your base and fully kill it. dont know how that made it past the map design team.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Okay, after playing this again after the closed beta, I think it can definitely stand on its own legs without Overwatch stealing its lunch.

Just did my first PVP game as Miko, running around being unkillable and healing errything.

Miko's self regen appears to be pretty heavily nerfed from the closed beta.

He's still hella hard to kill but its not as crazy as it was.

I did enjoy dropping my ult and standing in it while a rathe futilely tried to kill me and a low Oscar Mike.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    So played the story mode by myself with that Oriano guy. Okay, that was painful, def. not a solo game.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    So played the story mode by myself with that Oriano guy. Okay, that was painful, def. not a solo game.

I've had really good luck with the matchmaking, though. Full teams of 5 for every game and both of the story mode missions went smooth and were fun.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

I've had really good luck with the matchmaking, though. Full teams of 5 for every game and both of the story mode missions went smooth and were fun.

Balance is weird with fewer people. I did The Algorithm with two other randoms, and everything died pretty much immediately, even the bosses.